PetSmart Pet Stylist Reviews

J.K. Symancyk
  1. "Could be better"

Current Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good tips depending on the area

Cons

Management has unrealistic expectations of you to groom as fast as possible while being safe and in a timely manner

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the review! We always appreciate hearing feedback from our associates and appreciate you taking the time. Please know, you can also share your thoughts via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thanks, again!

2. "Petsmart"

Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good starting place. Great benefits.

Cons

Offers no advancement or compensation.

3. "It’s OK"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Working with dogs, free training

Cons

The co-workers, it’s like a salon environment. Lots of gossip

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review. We always appreciate hearing from our associates - the positives and the areas of improvement. We're sorry to hear this was your experience and would love to understand more, please feel free to contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again!

4. "Great Position"

4.0
    Current Employee - Professional Pet Stylist

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunity to get into the grooming industry, and opportunity to grow

Cons

It is a physically demanding job

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and for 8+ years with PetSmart! We're pleased to hear you enjoy the opportunities in our grooming salons! Please feel free to reach out to your management team or the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 if you'd like to speak further on anything you mentioned above. Thanks for taking the time to review!

5. "bullies mostly, coworkers were great"

Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in North Haven, CT

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had amazing coworkers I loved them so much, you can get raises, you can wash your dog there for free.

Cons

They pressure you to do dogs youre not comfortable with, they want you to groom as many dogs as possible even if you're not ready for it. Its money over dogs, they expect you to do so much and groom 6 dogs a day while answering phones, making appointments, connecting with customers, going to puppy classes to meet puppies.

Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again.

6. "Amazing place to start"

5.0
    Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Webster, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay, benefits, schedule, freedom of personal expression

Cons

contracts, Corporate, policy, Banfield, size

Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share and are thrilled that you had such a positive experience with PetSmart. Thank you for helping to keep the pets that entered the salons looking great!

7. "Amazing pathway to success"

4.0
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Canton, MI

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will send you to grooming academy once you are ready Lots of room for growth

Cons

Corporate politics Floor managers aren’t very supportive

Social Media Community Manager

That's great to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thank you for keeping pets looking great and pet parents happy! We agree - working with animals every day is pretty special. Thank you, again, for sharing!

"Masquerading as a “caring” company"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The animals is honestly the ONLY thing good about Petsmart. Some pet parents are amazing people, and you get to make some good relationships with pet parents and fellow coworkers. Pay can be good, but honestly you have to work yourself to the bone and then it’s not even really worth it.

Cons

Upper management. They don’t even try to hide how little they care about their employees. Anything at all that requires their assistance is responded with severe critique and negative reinforcement. Funny how we train dogs at Petsmart with positive reinforcement, yet can’t extend that to employees. I could honestly go on for ages about all the cons of working here, but to put it plainly: the company is run by soulless, apathetic, and abusive upper management. You would literally have to devote every waking moment to back breaking work to be able to get even the slightest approval from management. I’ve worked almost every position in the store, so I’ve seen first hand how the environment is nothing but apathy, stress, and degradation. Pretty bad that there aren’t many other places to groom that match Petsmart with pay, stability, and benefits. You just have to sell your soul for it.

Social Media Community Manager

We're very sorry to hear this was your experience and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We want to understand more if you wouldn't mind contacting the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We truly appreciate all that you do for pets and the pet parents that come into our salons. Thank you, again.

"What you should know"

Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Alcoa, TN

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Expanding knowledge in the animal care field meeting new animals every day most of the staff are like minded and care

Cons

overworked underpaid management thinks you're expendable Forced to do things you aren't comfortable by management

Social Media Community Manager

We're sorry that this was your experience. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our associates and are happy that you took the time to bring this to our attention. Please know, you can also share your thoughts via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thanks, again!

"Okay, but not for passionate animal lovers"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Saint Louis, MO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, employee discount, working with animals

Cons

Mandatory holidays and weekends,, Management quality varies wildly between locations, they are so desperate for groomers half your coworkers will never be on time to work, and they talk the talk about animal welfare but certainly don't walk the walk

Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We're very sorry that this was your experience and would like to speak further about some of the things you mentioned above. Please feel free to call the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Found 154 reviews