PetSmart Pet Stylist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

"Run. Run fast."

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Actually grooming dogs and interacting with them and my clients and coworkers are great! I love what I do! benefits are decent. Paid time off.

Cons

Poor management. Treated like dirt. No appreciation from managers or corporate. Discounts taken from commissions. No significant pay increase in 14 years. If you try to get corporate involved in an issue, nothing is done, and you become a target of management. Budget doesnt allow for supplies needed to perform job. Hours cut to part time when it's slow. It's become so stressful to work for this company its just... not worth it anymore. I used to love my job. Now I HATE IT.

Advice to Management

If you take care of your employees, they will take care of your customers. Show you care. Hold managers accountable to do their jobs. Take safety concerns seriously. Quit micromanaging and making new policies when you dont enforce the ones already in place. Be PROACTIVE not reactive.

PetSmart2019-10-12

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

We're very sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your time at PetSmart and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We'd love to understand more, as the safety of our pets is our #1 priority and we are fully committed to our associates across the organization. If you wouldn't mind, please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so that we can discuss it further. Thank you, again.

2. "Great team bad bosses"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PetSmart offers very good medical ,vision, dental,life benefits

Cons

Corporate isn't the best to feel free as a stylist but if you are starting always good

PetSmart2019-10-12

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We'd love to hear more if you wouldn't mind contacting the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you again.

3. "Great benefits"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They take care of their employees.

Cons

It is a very dirty job.

PetSmart2019-08-30

September 3, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for the review and for your commitment to helping pets enjoy happy and healthy lives! The shared passion and love for pets between our associates and pet parents is something special. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

4. "All right"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, most managers are willing to work with your schedule and availability if you end up in a good salon. Good benefits and 401k.

Cons

Corporate keeps adding more things for groomers to do on top of what they already do. They want more quantity of dogs done and don’t care if the quality suffers or if their groomers get burnt out because they’ll just push new people through academy. If you end up in a bad salon you’ll have a salon manager that treats you like garbage and other coworkers that are catty and don’t give a damn what happens to you, they... just want their money.

PetSmart2019-08-14

August 15, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you for sharing your experience. While I'm pleased to hear you enjoy the compensation, flexibility and benefits, we'd like to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can understand more, as we never want to compromise quality or the health of our associates. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

5. "Meh"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Offers extremely good benefits.

Cons

They just tend to look at you like a dollar sign.

PetSmart2019-07-29

July 31, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you for the feedback! That's wonderful to hear you enjoy the benefits. We value our associates a great deal and would love to hear more about your experience to see where we can improve or what might need to be addressed. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thanks, again!

6. "Can’t stick around"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with animals. PetSmart pays for salon workers to become certified/licensed for grooming. I know I a lot of people who took advantage of this and then went on to start their own businesses or join better ones

Cons

There is no “work/life balance”. Life is either 100% PetSmart or you’re fired. Terms like “family” are used to make you feel like you’re an integral part of the store, but it’s all just to groom you for poor treatment. Hours are ridiculous and pay is abysmal for the amount of labor, duties, and commitment you’re expected to have to the salon. Employees are discouraged from starting families as it could disrupt... business. Working hands on with dogs is great, and you want to believe that everyone works here because they love animals, but it’s just another greedy corporation and money comes before the welfare and happiness of the employees and animals.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like humans. Unpaid overtime shouldn’t be needed to be worked every single day. Corporate clearly has no idea what goes on in the salons, and their expectations are unreasonable. Managers are quick to throw you under the bus. Also, The fact that no one at the store sued after management threatened to fire employees for becoming pregnant is lucky for them.

PetSmart2019-07-08

July 9, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. This is not the environment we wish to create for our associates, pets or pet parents and goes against many of our values. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again.

7. "Don’t Do It"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Waynesboro, VA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to work with animals

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, poor management, terrible work environment

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees. Hold everyone accountable. Follow the policies and procedures set up by the company.

PetSmart2019-07-23

July 23, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you for alerting us. I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again.

"Zero"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Towards the end there was none.

Cons

You couldn’t go to management about any concerns you were having as they would tell your coworkers. They didn’t care if we got way over booked in the salon or how stressed we were. We didn’t have any support from them. When I put my two weeks in they walked me out that day stating it was policy. My reasoning for leaving I was unhappy. I felt like my managers didn’t have my back about things. That they only cared... about money. They pushed us way pass our limit. If you called in they made you feel like trash I always was made to work by myself on a weekend in the salon which is against policy

PetSmart2019-07-15

July 17, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I'm sorry this was your experience. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you.

9. "CEO doesn't care about employees"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working safely with dogs and meeting different people in the salon.

Cons

No recognition or appreciation. Grooming manager had little to no say on what happens in the salon.

Advice to Management

take care of your employees

PetSmart2019-06-20

July 1, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. While that's great that you are enjoying working with pets, I'm sorry to hear you feel we have stopped investing in our team. We have many programs in place supporting our retail and corporate team members. Please know you can always share more via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again.

10. "Good company"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

good company to work for. insurance was great

Cons

can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

im not in management so i have no advice to give

PetSmart2019-05-09