PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

3,834 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals abd follow employees" (in 322 reviews)

• "The company really supports the interns in their programs and allows them to learn a lot about what it would be like to work there after graduation" (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get full-time, very hard to get fired which means a few workers who don't do their work" (in 195 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 147 reviews)

1. "Friendly startup."

Pros

Friendly members of staff,very helpful,nice atmosphere,taining provided.Delayered hierarchial structure.

Cons

Limited opportunities for promotions,insufficient pay.

2. "Terrible management at my store which made job unenjoyable"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the PetsHotel as a Pet Care Specialist. I loved the variability of tasks, as I would spend my day supervising doggie day camp, walking dogs, playing with cats, preparing meals, grooming (cheaper baths + nails than grooming salon), and working the front desk. Interacting with the pet parents was great for the most part, and forming relationships with all the dogs and cats was great. I never had trouble getting days off when I really needed them.

Cons

Initial training was like 10 hours of reading boring information about working in the store, which I never had to do. Corporate makes lots of stupid rules which suggests these people have spent little time actually working with live animals or asking PetsHotel employees to weigh in. The main reason I hated my job, however, was that management at my store was TERRIBLE. The PetsHotel manager was vengeful and made it an extremely toxic work environment. Me and several of my co-workers developed severe anxiety issues over working at PetSmart (insomnia, chest pain, constantly on the verge of an anxiety attack, etc.) because of this individual. Her only superior at the store was the store manager, who agreed with her methods of management (pretending to be nice to get dirt on co-workers so they had reasons to write them up, not allowing employees to interact with other employees that were not on the same level as them in the store...I almost got my friend fired who had recently been promoted by mentioning an interaction we had on social media). I was so happy to leave and it's a shame that these two individuals put such a damper on what should have been a fun job taking care of people's pets. I am giving 3 stars because without my manager I would have loved my job.

Advice to Management

Don't allow segregation policies to be enforced on employees where they are not allowed to interact with certain coworkers outside of work, it just makes for an extremely toxic workplace.

PetSmart Response

7 Aug 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time. We are committed to creating a positive and welcoming environment. That clearly was not your experience, and I'm sorry to hear that. We'd like to gain a better... More

3. "Nice company"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Seeing the animals everyday, flexibility

Cons

Management were not very helpful or professional at times

4. "PetSmart"

Pros

You get to work with animals

Cons

Hours suck and there's a lot of standing

5. "Amazing skills learned and new friends created"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Cathays Park, Wales
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Cathays Park, Wales

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great skills to learn. Will create an amazing range of new friends. It is an Amazing opportunity for later on in life.

Cons

Hard work and concentration required when working here. Will need to be punctual and reliable. You will need good concentration aswell.

Advice to Management

Keep the job up

"Good Job if You Have the Passion"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-So many animals!!
    -Company is doing some pretty good things
    -Many options within the company--move up or change position
    -15% discount for employees
    -Lots of opportunities to learn more about animals

Cons

-Base pay is pretty low for all the sh*t you deal with (literally)
    -Work environment completely dependent on management and coworkers
    -Customers can be RUDE.
    -Have to see a lot of mistreated animals
    -Company focuses on many different goals and it gets very overwhelming and makes it difficult to be genuine

Advice to Management

The focus on email capture AND conversion is a bit much. It's getting pretty difficult to care about customers when I'm in fear of getting written up for not capturing enough emails. I'd rather see more focus on customer care because that seems to get more returning customers than coupons.

7. "Don't expect to ever make any real money with this company. If you want to make money, go to a private shop."

Current Employee - Pet Stylist
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My store management is extremely laid back which is why I have stayed with the company for so long. As long as you show up, groomed your dogs and help everyone out they are extremely lenient on letting you leave early at the end of the day if there were no dogs left in the salon, and taking vacation whenever you wanted. Our when you take your breaks/lunch.

Cons

Since the buy out, they are becoming very micromanaging. Always pushing on the groomers to make the same amount every single day and completely ignoring that this is a seasonal job, and we are slow Sept-May (except for around Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Always pushing for add-ons.
    Always adding new services, side jobs or paperwork but then not really compensating us for the time/work the service takes.

Since adding the new online booking system, the system was never set up to differentiate between a 5lb chihuahua, and a 160lb Newfoundland, so you could show up to work and have 5 100lbs+ dogs. And their answer is call the owner and reschedule, which leads 90% of the time to a pissed off customer that now can't book for a week because we don't have time for anymore big dogs. Instead of allowing us to put blocks on the schedule to keep that exact scenario from happening and keeping a customer from deciding to take their business elsewhere because they keep booking online and keep getting called back to reschedule

Advice to Management

Since this company is going to be 100% relying on their grooming and hotel departments when their retail stores no longer exist due to online retailers, stop pushing your long time, high volume groomers away with micro managing, no support, and zero incentive to stay when the new bather makes more hourly because you never give anyone a raise when minimum wage goes up.

If you want to keep replacing your groomers that can groom 8-12 dogs a day, with a high request clientele, with the brand new groomers that can barely groom 3 dogs a day, you are definitely achieving that goal.

And expecting us to have a full schedule, and asking why we had 10 cancelations, when it's pouring outside.
    This job 100% relies in the weather and holidays in how busy we are. Stop asking us "what we could have done differently" to save those appointments, when your answer will be to offer a discount, that I will take a hit on financially.

Trust us, we want to make more money. But you seem to do everything you can to prevent that by over staffing your salon every September when slow season starts, and by May, 3-4 employees have quit because you complain about paying us minimum wage to stand around.

I have definitely been with this company long enough to know exactly how everything works, but corporate seems to forget every 3 months.

PetSmart Response

21 Sep 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry it's been a frustrating experience for you. I can assure you that we are committed to pets and our people and want to ensure a positive... More

8. "Good"

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Working with dogs a lot

Cons

Sometimes the dogs make it a stressful job.

9. "Good part time job"

Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Warminster, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associaate in Warminster, PA (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team oriented, got to work with and learn about all types of animals

Cons

Very regulated as most big businesses are

10. "One of the Best Pet Retail"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Educated monthly on new products, best bigbox pet retailer, works with adoption agencies, ecourage growth

Cons

Can be stangant growth, all depends on leadership culture in each store, corporate concerned about bottomline and will overbook hotel/overbook groomers or bathers, easy to get burnout as a manager

Advice to Management

Small scale per store: don’t put everyone in a box; people can flourish and succeed in their own way
    Big corporate scale: come outside of home office and see how new policies, procedures, and timelines work out in the real world

Showing 3,834 of 3,870 reviews