PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals and with people who love animals" (in 335 reviews)

• "The company really supports the interns in their programs and allows them to learn a lot about what it would be like to work there after graduation" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "full time hours despite only being considered part time" (in 203 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 156 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AWEsome!"

Pros

The culture is incredible! It’s positive, encouraging and passionate. Successes are celebrated and failures are supported. Respect and trust are cornerstones of #LifeAtPetSmart. The campus amenities are amazing and I am proud to work for an organization that cares about its pet parents and associates.

Cons

So much about this company is just AWEsome! I would love to see more teams embrace the work from home movement for a day or two each week when possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to love your people and pet parents out loud!

PetSmart Response

14 Jan 2019 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! We appreciate you taking the time. We are steadfast in our commitment to pets, pet parents and associates, so feedback like this is incredibly helpful and... More

2. "Friendly startup."

Pros

Friendly members of staff,very helpful,nice atmosphere,taining provided.Delayered hierarchial structure.

Cons

Limited opportunities for promotions,insufficient pay.

3. "Terrible management at my store which made job unenjoyable"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the PetsHotel as a Pet Care Specialist. I loved the variability of tasks, as I would spend my day supervising doggie day camp, walking dogs, playing with cats, preparing meals, grooming (cheaper baths + nails than grooming salon), and working the front desk. Interacting with the pet parents was great for the most part, and forming relationships with all the dogs and cats was great. I never had trouble getting days off when I really needed them.

Cons

Initial training was like 10 hours of reading boring information about working in the store, which I never had to do. Corporate makes lots of stupid rules which suggests these people have spent little time actually working with live animals or asking PetsHotel employees to weigh in. The main reason I hated my job, however, was that management at my store was TERRIBLE. The PetsHotel manager was vengeful and made it an extremely toxic work environment. Me and several of my co-workers developed severe anxiety issues over working at PetSmart (insomnia, chest pain, constantly on the verge of an anxiety attack, etc.) because of this individual. Her only superior at the store was the store manager, who agreed with her methods of management (pretending to be nice to get dirt on co-workers so they had reasons to write them up, not allowing employees to interact with other employees that were not on the same level as them in the store...I almost got my friend fired who had recently been promoted by mentioning an interaction we had on social media). I was so happy to leave and it's a shame that these two individuals put such a damper on what should have been a fun job taking care of people's pets. I am giving 3 stars because without my manager I would have loved my job.

Advice to Management

Don't allow segregation policies to be enforced on employees where they are not allowed to interact with certain coworkers outside of work, it just makes for an extremely toxic workplace.

PetSmart Response

7 Aug 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for taking the time. We are committed to creating a positive and welcoming environment. That clearly was not your experience, and I'm sorry to hear that. We'd like to gain a better... More

4. "Nice company"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Seeing the animals everyday, flexibility

Cons

Management were not very helpful or professional at times

5. "PetSmart"

Pros

You get to work with animals

Cons

Hours suck and there's a lot of standing

6. "Amazing skills learned and new friends created"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Cathays Park, Wales
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Cathays Park, Wales

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great skills to learn. Will create an amazing range of new friends. It is an Amazing opportunity for later on in life.

Cons

Hard work and concentration required when working here. Will need to be punctual and reliable. You will need good concentration aswell.

Advice to Management

Keep the job up

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Great place to work

Cons

Not enough pay, minimum wage

8. "Great People to work with"

Former Employee - Dog Trainer
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees, fun loving students, weekly pay

Cons

Hourly pay rate, not enough hours

9. "Good Place to Start"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist-Petshotel in Puyallup, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist-Petshotel in Puyallup, WA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I felt lucky to be surrounded by a bunch of girls who were dedicated to the pets. Not all Petsmart hotel's were as close as ours. We had enough employees that they worked really well around your school schedule, in fact, it was their first priority!

Cons

Corporate would make rules that made it obvious they had never worked a day blue collar in their life. Dumb rules that would make things unsafe or not just not make any sense at all. They also don't realize the revenue the Hotels bring in and expected us to cut hours as we got busier. Therefore making some people work way over their scheduled shift. This also reduced the quality of care we could give the dogs and cats. There simply was too many pets in the facility for the amount of hours we were allowed to work a week.

Advice to Management

Management was great in the hotel, I just suggest management stand up to corporate and show them the hours we are allowed a week simply isn't enough for the amount of business they bring in. Either you stop accepting more dogs than you can handle or corporate give you more hours so you can properly care for the pets.

10. "Good"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Discounts are good for you

Cons

Schedule is random sometimes have yo close then open