PetSmart "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

PetSmart Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 3 Jan 2020

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals & learning about safety(in 390 reviews)

• "If you're interested in animal care, you get to learn a lot(in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most animals like the peanut butter(in 406 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 245 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Terrible management at my store which made job unenjoyable"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the PetsHotel as a Pet Care Specialist. I loved the variability of tasks, as I would spend my day supervising doggie day camp, walking dogs, playing with cats, preparing meals, grooming (cheaper baths + nails than grooming salon), and working the front desk. Interacting with the pet parents was great for the most part, and forming relationships with all the dogs and cats was great. I never had trouble getting days off when I really needed them.

Cons

Initial training was like 10 hours of reading boring information about working in the store, which I never had to do. Corporate makes lots of stupid rules which suggests these people have spent little time actually working with live animals or asking PetsHotel employees to weigh in. The main reason I hated my job, however, was that management at my store was TERRIBLE. The PetsHotel manager was vengeful and made it an extremely toxic work environment. Me and several of my co-workers developed severe anxiety issues over working at PetSmart (insomnia, chest pain, constantly on the verge of an anxiety attack, etc.) because of this individual. Her only superior at the store was the store manager, who agreed with her methods of management (pretending to be nice to get dirt on co-workers so they had reasons to write them up, not allowing employees to interact with other employees that were not on the same level as them in the store...I almost got my friend fired who had recently been promoted by mentioning an interaction we had on social media). I was so happy to leave and it's a shame that these two individuals put such a damper on what should have been a fun job taking care of people's pets. I am giving 3 stars because without my manager I would have loved my job.

Advice to Management

Don't allow segregation policies to be enforced on employees where they are not allowed to interact with certain coworkers outside of work, it just makes for an extremely toxic workplace.

PetSmart2018-08-06

"Great place to work if you don't have a family"

Former Employee - Associate Lead in Short Pump, VA

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back, relaxed work environment, good co workers, fun to be around animals

Cons

Some upper management, favoritism, hours, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns, don't schedule people outside their availability.

PetSmart2020-01-03

"Good Work Environment. Experience depends on management"

Former Employee - Pet Products Manager in Spokane, WA

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced and joyful work environment

Cons

Some managers can be lazy and overbearing at the same time.

PetSmart2019-10-23

"Great first job, but unsustainable"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Petsmart was a great introduction to working for me. The pay was competetive, the environment was great, and I loved it for the first year.

Cons

I felt pressured to cover shifts when my coworkers called off, and when I myself needed to call off (be it that I was sick or I had a family emergency) I was pressured by management to come in anyway. One of the managers at my location would say, every time without fail, that I couldn't call off because it was too inconvenient to call another person in. I believe that near the year and a half mark of me working there, I was the only person being called in to cover shifts. The pay stopped being competetive after the turn of the year (which came about a few months after my store opened, which I had a part in). In total, I naturally earned a paltry 85 cents after 3 whole years of service. I had to ask for a raise twice just to get myself to the $11 mark, while new people were being hired in at $10.50. That felt like a slap in the face. That, and the fact that my hours went from 25 a week to 10 a week. Another rather frustrating point I would like to point out was the clique-like atmosphere of the management. I never felt like I was part of a team, I felt like I was a child being ordered around. Very unwelcoming and hostile work environment. As a final note, this company does not seem to value promoting from within as much as it seemed when I was hired. I was never made aware of any postings within the company, as that was locked inside the office out of my reach, and I was never permitted suitable time to view the postings.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to rethink the way raises are earned, and just how much those raises are. Another piece of advice is to routinely interview your base-level employees in relation to how the management team treats them. It may not seem important when you'reupper management, but the entry-level employees are the most important part of your business, and often the most overlooked.

PetSmart2019-11-03

"Unhappy With PetSmart"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flexible scheduling with days and hours

Cons

- Unsafe work environment - Low pay for potentially dangerous work - Consistently understaffed - Services to benefit sales rather than the animals in our care

Advice to Management

Raise the starting wage, we have lots of issues with people being hired and leaving immediately because they feel the pay received for the work we do is abhorrent. With Elevated Doggy Daycamp being rolled out it's very obvious that it is only to entice potential human clients, the dogs I personally work with do not enjoy a majority of the new activities being added. The new activities also are proving to add more safety hazards to an already difficult job in the prospect of keeping ourselves and the pets in our care safe. We have lost a good number of our long time clients because of the changes going into effect and it saddens me greatly to see that this is the direction the company has decided to go. I have loved this job, I love the animals we care for and have bonded with our clients. But it feels like corporate decisions are sending us backwards instead of propelling us forward like they intend to.

PetSmart2019-10-06

"Good company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get an upbeat work environment with animals. You are involved in many areas of services; pet training, grooming salon, hotel and then the merch side.

Cons

A lot of corporate big wigs with different ideas on what store brand standards are. Hard to please so many different executives

Advice to Management

Merchandising inventory leader is a really tough role to keep filled because they are over so much in a store and I don’t think they pay enough

PetSmart2019-09-05
  7. "Used to be better"

Former Employee - Investigator Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun work environment, opportunities for growth and field switching

Cons

Lack of direction, a lot of meetings to plan for meetings without a lot of action coming out of the meetings

Advice to Management

Start looking to the future instead of working on right now or what's in the past

PetSmart2019-09-16
  8. "One store was amazing one was literally hell"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist and Trainer in Miramichi, NB

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and fun work environment

Cons

Poor management at some stores.

Advice to Management

Take complains about management seriously . I made a complain about a person involved in management at my store and I never hear anything back. Which lead me to quit . Bullying should never be tolerated .

PetSmart2019-09-10
  9. "Petsmart is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Merchandsing and Inventory Leader in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with animals Flexible Relaxed work environment

Cons

Low hours Paid weekly paid minimum wage

PetSmart2019-08-24
  10. "Great company"

Former Employee - Pet Care Manager in Dothan, AL

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved working with the people and the pets. The hours were consistent and the expectations were realistic.

Cons

The store temperature is too high for an energetic work environment. Corporate always expecting more with less

Advice to Management

Support your employees it takes a team to make it work

PetSmart2019-07-23