Pharmaceutical Product Development Associate Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Pharmaceutical Product Development Associate Scientist Reviews

Updated 5 September 2017

Associate Scientist

2.6
Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Ability to work from home in some cases (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 69 reviews)

• no work-life balance for at least first 6 months (in 25 reviews)

1. "Good Starting Position"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn several different techniques quickyl

Good benefits

Nice co workers

Cons

Management does not promote based on merit

Pay is low

Advice to Management

Promote and compensate the employees who work hard and want to stay at PPD. Realize that experience matters.

"Supervisors try too hard to be your friend, forget how to give negative feedback"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, easy to form and maintain relationships. Work was sometimes dynamic

Cons

Management was very bad at giving feedback. Did not receive any critical or negative feedback until managers eventually approached me. Because of this, promotions and raises were not appropriately given. Management needs to stop trying to be our friends and work on building our careers.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be our friends. We have enough of those already. You are paid to be leaders.

"Associate Scientist"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Entry Level Experience, Friendly Coworkers, Great for a first job out of collegem but don't get stuck!

Cons

Pay much less than industry standard

Advice to Management

Value your laboratory staff, there would be less turn around if they weren't treated like they're disposable.

5. "Decent for Entry Level"

Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Research Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Nice people, relaxed atmosphere, secure job

Cons

Hard to climb the corporate ladder

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Review"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a Flexible work schedule

Cons

It is hard to move up

7. "Associate Scientist"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Flexible hours and reasonable opportunities to progress.

Cons

Employees are not utilized to their full potential

8. "Assoc Scientist"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Wayne, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Wayne, PA (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On-site gym. Outsourced catered lunches available for purchase. Flexible hours.

Cons

Very slow for advancement in title and salary. Unqualified staff promoted into management positions with no management skills or training. Managers played favorites on who would get promotions and/or raises. Senior management was disconnected from staff. Site closed Dec 2015.

"Horrible in every way"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None unless you enjoy being abused and overworked . And are willing to put up with antiquated social rules and bigotry.

Cons

Everything to hate is available to all. Bigots, disorganization, insufficient supplies, wasting money, poor management , no training, no support, no clue about illegal work practices.

Horrible management that constantly changed rules and told me I had to work overtime because the other employee in that position was married with a child. Manager openly expressed his dislike for African Americans and had no people skills.

Overall, terribly organized and I was told by more than one group leader that I shouldn't worry about saving money because they just billed the client company. Use any of the other companies but avoid ppd like the plague!

Advice to Management

Get organized and observe federal work regulations

"Great First Job- Poor Career Choice"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

This is a great place for new grads to start out. The salary is a little under whelming, but it has come to my attention that it's relatively on par with other CRO's. In this industry, the people are expendable capital unless you have a PhD.

Cons

It's not a great place for professional development.. There could be so much potential if management could focus more on employee development and method efficiency.

Advice to Management

Try harder. Focus on the talent you have in house. Promote people appropriately according to skill and effort level. The industry is tough right now for lower level employees, but once it bounces back you will lose some great employees.

"Fair, typical science job"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Strict structure if you are into that
    The pay was salaried, but you have the perks of leaving at 4:30
    Good location

Cons

I worked as a scientist, and it was impossible to exceed expectations. Your job was to do science without any errors. If you committed an error, you got strikes against your raises/bonuses. If you were perfect, you 'met expectations'.
    science in general has a glass ceiling. Don't expect a masters degree to get you more than a $2/hr increase over your peers.

Advice to Management

Workers get disgruntled immediately when they think things are unfair. I don't think PPD is unfair, it was a pretty standard, medium turnover workplace. Workers will get disgruntled eventually when they realize that they can't go anywhere or get an appreciable salary increase because they are told they can't 'shine'. Perhaps offer some more opportunities to go above and beyond.