Pharmaceutical Product Development Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Maintaining a work life balance is difficult" (in 77 reviews)

• "Heavy workload, no work-life balance, demanding requests" (in 27 reviews)

1. "If their lips are moving it's a clear sign they are lying to you..."

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Reasonable benefits and pension. Some good business colleagues can still be found outside of IT.

Cons

Are you a US veteran?
    Are you based in North Carolina?
    Do you have little or no technical IT knowledge?
    Do you value pedantic adherence to policies and processes over tangible results?
    Are you happy to fire long serving, competent staff, if cheap offshore resources can be found?
    Do you thrive in a toxic, political, blame driven environment?
    Will you blindly agree with everything your managers say?
    Will you support IT leadership in the removal of any employees that dare to seek flexible working arrangements?
    If you can answer yes to all of these questions then PPD will be a great place for you to work.
    If you value trust, honesty, openness, and results then this might not be the place for you.
    If you are in an eastern European location, that was once perceived to be low cost, watch out. Your ‘leaders’ have identified that India is cheaper. Layoffs will be coming to an office near you soon.

Advice to Management

Stop paying lip service to the lie that 'our people are our most valuable asset' while your ongoing actions indicate the complete opposite.

2. "HRIS Assistant"

Pros

Good company to work with.

Cons

Flexibility option was great as I started as a fresher.

3. "Pharma Pro's and Con's"

Former Employee - Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced exciting environment to work in with good benifits

Cons

Senior management lack key skills when dealing with workforce and do not communicate

Advice to Management

Rectify the above

4. "PPD Science Graduate Entry"

Current Employee - Project Assistant
    Current Employee - Project Assistant

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Experience
    The Manager was quite flexible with Holiday/doctors/Dentist/ Work Hours
    Some really Nice people within the company

Cons

Poor Salary
    no real training to the role or further development
    Graduates are held in their low positions, even if you over perform , it accounts for nothing.
    The progression (jobs advertised) goes to external applicants who dont meet the job criteria hence leading back to the first point.
    High turnover of great hard working staff which is a shame.

Advice to Management

its quite a shame that when i got offered a job a PPD i felt so happy i was going to be working with one of the largest global CROs then to be only disappointed heavily.

5. "Safety Admin"

Current Employee - Safety Administrative
    Current Employee - Safety Administrative

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great company with huge opportunities, it's very flexible to tailor individual needs e.g. working from home, semi flexible hours.

Cons

Depending on your position it can be stressful or understaffed. In other roles it can be the opposite.

6. "CRA"

Current Employee - CRA II in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - CRA II in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

There is job security, also there are plenty of training opportunities. Great people work there, have made friends with most of them.

Cons

The overload is huge, the staff turnover very big. Everyone is under big pressure, including management. The stress of not being able to do your job properly.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, decrease workload, retain staff.

7. "Doing well, could do even better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large, stable organisation with reasonable infrastructure

Cons

Communication technology unstable and/or outdated

Advice to Management

Stop paying lip-service to work/life balance issues

"Dont stay too long...."

Former Employee - Clinical Project Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Clinical Project Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Annual bonus
    Friendly people
    Ongoing company SOP/WPD training

Cons

You'll progress up the career ladder if your a brown nose and your face fits in the "special group"
    Horrific Management/HR structure
    Performance Review Form is an absolute joke, positive feedback not taken into consideration -at managers discretion too!
    Over allocated, underpaid and generally a very stressful place to work

Advice to Management

Get a grip of resourcing allocations, too many very talented people have left PPD due to stress! you'll be left with monkeys or robots!

Mangers need to LISTEN to employees, not KPI reports, the management -employee relationship is non-existent, chuck the review form away or shred it, its demotivating and a waste of valuable time - ask for honest feedback from teams - this worked previously!
    Stop treating employees like children, we are adults!
    Off-site department meetings are an absolute waste of time, important/urgent work could be getting done - most people don't have time to sit for hours listening to dribble!

"Improvements in Operations Finance Department"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Cambridge, East of England, England

Pros

I have always enjoyed the people that I work with at PPD, but since some changes were made at executive management levels, I've seen a real effort to reward employees at all levels for the contributions we make. There is now a social committee and promotions appear to be more frequent (from what I've seen in my team).

There are some more efficient tools and process improvements in development, which management have been updating and training us on regularly.

After some tough change management in 2015/2016, I'm excited about the focus for our department in 2017 to make a real impact on the company.

Cons

Work/life balance is still difficult to achieve here, although it appears to vary from team to team. I anticipate this will get better for everyone once the department is fully staffed.

Advice to Management

Good work on shifting the culture in the finance department to ensure people are being rewarded for their efforts!

Keep working on the new tools and processes that we need in order to do our jobs more efficiently. We have benefited from the good communication updating us on the progress of their development.

"Clinical was good. Career progression limited."

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Enjoyed my time in clinical management. Progression was possible for good results but only up to a certain level.

Cons

My time at PPD deteriorated when I moved out of clinical, to progress my career. It depends which department you work in and who you line manager is. I found some of the US colleagues very difficult to work with.

Showing 996 of 1,030 reviews