Pharmaceutical Product Development Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 71 reviews)

• no work-life balance for at least first 6 months (in 25 reviews)

1. "Good place to work. Company on the up"

Current Employee - Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good mix of staff and skills, and lots of cross functional interaction.

Cons

The office is basic and located in an anonymous part of the country. The office itself is a asic and uninspiring.

Advice to Management

Keep on the same path

2. "Poor compensation, unequal amount of work"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

Pros

Coworkers are great, but they won't be around forever. Flexible scheduling. PTO is easy to take. Really good at training employees.

Cons

You will be very underpaid, unless you leave and come back. Fair promotions for current employees are scarce. Slowly they are taking away all amenities. They love raffling gift cards rather than paying employees decently.

Advice to Management

Reprimand lazy employees. Pay all employees appropriately.

"A foot in the door"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PPD was my first job out of school, and the management in the group I landed in was phenomenal (the Biopharmaceutical group in Middleton WI). It's a big company, so your mileage may vary. For me, there were ample opportunities for mentorship and I quickly learned the pharmaceutical industry. Management in my group genuinely cared about their reports. They were also very organized, effective, and good at collaborating with other functions. All of these traits made working there a pleasure. There were a lot of other fresh graduates and the group as a whole was very social and outgoing, which was fun.

Cons

Compensation is dismally low. After about a year I accepted an offer at another company for 1.9 times my salary at PPD. This is not atypical for the CRO industry, but being able to double your salary by jumping ship as soon as you have some experience makes it very difficult to justify staying longer than a year or two. HR tightly controls compensation, so there is very little your manager can do for you. With the high turnover rate you can get promoted fast, but your raise in pay will still be laughable compared to the bump you could get by taking a job at a big pharma company. All things considered, the pay is on-par with a post-doctoral position and the experience may be more relevant if you want to go into industry, so I would still recommend the job to new graduates who don't have any other offers.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is out of control and is a serious burden on the people managing projects. If the surplus of fresh graduates dries up it is going to be impossible for you to recruit new talent, and you guys could be in some big trouble. PPD as a whole should reevaluate their compensation structure, otherwise an abrupt change in the job market could seriously cripple the company.

5. "Friendly but lot of work"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, and a friendly social environment. Other analysts as well as management will go out of their way to help you as long as you ask and do your best to learn as well. If you are fresh from college/new to industry, they have a guidance system in place to ease you into doing your job well - very helpful. Also, many opportunities to learn, a great stepping stone for people looking to get a foothold into the pharmaceutical industry.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to that from other CRO's. Relatively high turnover rate means that the analysts who have been working at PPD longer, get much more work to do, which leads to a poor work life balance, which then leads to those analysts leaving, etc.

6. "Assistant Scientist"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

Pros

-Good job experience
    -Good benefits
    -Clear career path and goals.

Cons

-Some disorganization from team to team
    -Long training and onboarding process

Advice to Management

Need to communicate morr clearly on the manegerial level in order to help day to day lab functions run more smoothly.

7. "good"

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Salaries are not the highest

8. "Assistant Scientist"

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Affordable benefits, occasionally employee appreciation events, room for growth in most departments

Cons

Management, accountability, egos of management team

Advice to Management

Be more accountable and proactive.

9. "Enjoyed working with some really smart individuals."

Former Employee - Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds, being in the lab but occasionally doing office work.

Cons

Not always a good work life balance. More could be done to increase employee appreciation as well as growth. Improve the dynamics on how one gets or is presented with promotional activities.

10. "Good Starting Position"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

Pros

Learn several different techniques quickyl

Good benefits

Nice co workers

Cons

Management does not promote based on merit

Pay is low

Advice to Management

Promote and compensate the employees who work hard and want to stay at PPD. Realize that experience matters.

"Uneven Advancement"

Former Employee - Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, great people working there, managers generally fair and easy to work with, lots of opportunities to learn new skills, great place to start a career. The management team does an excellent job finding great workers. My manager was easy to talk to, and understood my concerns. I loved working there. Great benefits for being an international company.

Cons

The promotion schedule is awful. It is why I left. Seeing colleagues that were with the company for 2-3 years less promoted over me was aggravating. Promotions don't seem to be performance or tenure based, rather how much your department or supervisor can fight for you. Some departments get promoted fast, some VERY slow. Received nothing but above average performance reviews, and was not promoted quickly enough. I felt taken for granted. Not getting promoted, and having to wait an entire year was just too much. I was dramatically underpaid for my years of experience and skill set, and while I loved working there, it was extremely tough to turn down offers for a large 20%+ increase in salary elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Figure out a better way to promote employees. Turnover wasn't that high when I left, but the department I was in saw a lot of people leave or transfer after promotions went around. You have some great people there, but the job market in the area for this type of work is extremely competitive.