Pharmaceutical Product Development Senior Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Ability to work from home in some cases (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to have a work/life balance if you don't learn to say no (in 70 reviews)

• no work-life balance for at least first 6 months (in 25 reviews)

"A foot in the door"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PPD was my first job out of school, and the management in the group I landed in was phenomenal (the Biopharmaceutical group in Middleton WI). It's a big company, so your mileage may vary. For me, there were ample opportunities for mentorship and I quickly learned the pharmaceutical industry. Management in my group genuinely cared about their reports. They were also very organized, effective, and good at collaborating with other functions. All of these traits made working there a pleasure. There were a lot of other fresh graduates and the group as a whole was very social and outgoing, which was fun.

Cons

Compensation is dismally low. After about a year I accepted an offer at another company for 1.9 times my salary at PPD. This is not atypical for the CRO industry, but being able to double your salary by jumping ship as soon as you have some experience makes it very difficult to justify staying longer than a year or two. HR tightly controls compensation, so there is very little your manager can do for you. With the high turnover rate you can get promoted fast, but your raise in pay will still be laughable compared to the bump you could get by taking a job at a big pharma company. All things considered, the pay is on-par with a post-doctoral position and the experience may be more relevant if you want to go into industry, so I would still recommend the job to new graduates who don't have any other offers.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is out of control and is a serious burden on the people managing projects. If the surplus of fresh graduates dries up it is going to be impossible for you to recruit new talent, and you guys could be in some big trouble. PPD as a whole should reevaluate their compensation structure, otherwise an abrupt change in the job market could seriously cripple the company.

2. "Senior Scientist"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Yearly bonus, great job security, stay long enough and new positions and promotions will come your way

Cons

None that I can think of!

"Great team and bosses, sub pare human resources exeperience"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competent and enjoyable team to work with.

Cons

Human resources declined my promotion 2 times in one year even though my supervisors recommended my promotion.

Advice to Management

Stick up for your employees and they won't leave you.

"Good starter job, poor long term prospects."

Former Employee - Senior Scientist
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and learning opportunities for a new B.S. Graduate. It's very easy work. No long hours or work taken home.

Cons

Very poor management quality and company culture. You get the impression that all the smart people move on after a few years and the ones that don't have any better options become the middle management.

Advice to Management

Train and develop managers properly. You could probably do the same amount of work with about 50% the staff if the work was organized better and supervisors worked together instead of trying to undermine each other to get ahead.

"Senior Scientist"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Atmosphere is not good

Cons

No structure. Management is not the best AT ALL.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

great people, fast growing CRO

Cons

takes time for promotion, need more defined career path

Advice to Management

clear cut career path guidelines, quicker promotions

"Excellent managment, low compensation"

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Middleton, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Actual managers/scientists know what they are doing. If you are fresh out of college, great place to start. You will learn cGMP and how to do fantastic, quality work

Cons

Low compensation as compared to industry standard. Benefits are comparable, but salary is low compared to the education and experience requirements.

Advice to Management

If they want to attract and retain good, ambitious employees, increase compensation and promotion ladder.

9. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

Pros

This is a great place to work to gain experience. The benefits are excellent, the pay is good, and there is opportunity for advancement. Emphasis is on integrity and producing scientifically sound data. Employees seem to fall into 2 groups - people who work here for 2-3 years to pay off student loans or gain experience before going on the grad school or medical school, and those who are here for the long haul.

Cons

The company culture is such that you are expected to work extremely hard at all times. Like everywhere else nowadays, we do more work with less staff, and sometimes people get tired of the constant pressure to do more. You have to be able to let go of that stress, and not let it get to you.

Advice to Management

Show your appreciation to your employees. Say thank you for a job well done, and be realistic in what people can accomplish in one day.

10. "It is a good place to learn if you are new to the area."

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, stable, know different things

Cons

Stress and accept any comments

11. "nice people around"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, nice people around.

Cons

Pay is low. Sometime the quality people (QA/QC) has more power than should and frequently upset analysts.

Advice to Management

NA