Planet Fitness "gym membership" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Planet Fitness Employee Reviews about "gym membership"

Updated 22 Jan 2020

3.3
Planet Fitness CEO Chris Rondeau
Chris Rondeau
Pros
Cons
  • "low pay and not much room for growth(in 111 reviews)

• "Upper management sometimes makes decisions without thinking(in 62 reviews)

Reviews about "gym membership"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Manager FT"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Planet Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Gym membership is all

Cons

Poor Hours, No Flexibility, Underpaid staff

Planet Fitness2020-01-22

"Unethical, immoral, dishonest management practices"

Former Employee - Senior Member Service Representative in National City, CA

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Easy laid back job -Friendly coworkers -Free gym membership and access to the gym amenities

Cons

-Low pay -Immoral and dishonest managers -No room for growth within unless you're best friends with management - they would rather hire strangers off the street than offer current, already-trained employees new shifts as they become available. I was hired with the understanding I would be covering Friday and Saturday overnights (10 pm to 6 am) for one or two weeks TOPS and would get first dibs on a daytime shift when it opened up. I was there almost two months and various shifts opened up and the manager always strung me along and made excuses as to why I couldn't have the shift(s). Yet I was expected to be a floater for everyone whenever someone called in and do the Friday and Saturday overnights. It took a toll on my romantic relationship and cut into time spent with my one-year-old daughter. I kept getting promised certain things that would always fall through. I was taken advantage of and lied to...I was just a body to fill a position no one wanted to work.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring your friends and give an opportunity to current employees to accept new shifts as they open up instead of automatically interviewing random, untrained people off the street. You will have less of a turnover rate and more loyalty if you did this very simple thing. Not to mention employees are worked hard and don't feel appreciated by management. Also management needs to do their part and make sure supplies are in abundance and quit pawning off their duties onto unsuspecting employees while managers text friends on their cell phones.

Planet Fitness2019-12-24
  3. "A good job...but"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment, free gym membership, and meeting lots of cool people while learning about the fitness industry. We got a raise every quarter (had to be approved by corporate) and we had team building every quarter

Cons

High turnover, dealing with angry people when billing occurs, and sometimes managers don't lead by example

Advice to Management

Keep it up but stay consistent

Planet Fitness2019-12-02
  4. "Great Company but Understaffed"

Former Employee - Team Member in Roswell, GA

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Free Black Card Gym Membership - Members are the sweetest

Cons

- Lots of Cleaning (Gym Equipment & Bathrooms) - Understaffed (You will be working by yourself most of the time, if you're lucky you might have another person with you) - Closing Gym by yourself late at night - Hard to get time off because of understaffed issue

Advice to Management

Hire more employees, no one should be closing a gym by themselves late at night. Pay needs to be raised.

Planet Fitness2019-11-13
  5. "Depends on the manager"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Towson, MD

I have been working at Planet Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with schedules, depending on location and how they operate, they offer shifts that are less than 8 hours which can be good for those with 2 jobs or school Employee of the month usually gets a prize of some sort like a gift card On casual days you get to wear sweatpants or gym shorts Free black card gym membership Gym-watch people

Cons

Low pay, slightly above minimum wage, scheduled raises I believe every 6 months but not for much "Everyone is replaceable attitude" from managers and corporate High employee turnover A lot of cleaning is involved for everyone other than managers Deal with a lot of irate customers Extremely hard to get promoted within

Advice to Management

Employees are people too, hire the right person first, not just anyone. There's been too many times where I see new employees that you can already tell they're not going to work at PF for long, and it reflects through their attitude, attendance, work ethic, etc.

Planet Fitness2019-11-06
  6. "Crew Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Solon, OH

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Gym Membership, tanning, amenities

Cons

Upper Management/regionals had a lot to say, and didn't always set up employees for success.

Advice to Management

If you want to see improvement, give employees tools to improve.

Planet Fitness2019-10-29
  7. "Toxic Upper Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Planet Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good learning experience, free gym membership

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, micromanaged, tons of drama and gossip with upper management

Advice to Management

Don’t micromanage and stop making promises to employees you can’t keep

Planet Fitness2019-10-25
  8. "Fun Part-Time For College Students"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Gainesville, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Planet Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Relaxed environment -Fun -Easy job -Always leaving on time -Flexible scheduling -Organized management -Free gym membership

Cons

-Rude members -Some shifts are very long (e.g. closing shift is 3PM-11PM). -Difficult to move up or advance. You definitely hit a glass ceiling. Lots of outside hiring and only 3 full-time positions filled by one person: Trainer, Manager, Assistant Manager. -Pay is OK. You don't earn commissions.

Advice to Management

Hire more from within and allow more advancement opportunities for ambitious part-time employees. Provide more sales incentives.

Planet Fitness2019-10-01
  9. "It is easy to get fired from."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Planet Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

gym membership, the customers are really awesome.

Cons

Easy to get fired,most people quit within a month. Management does not really have people skills.You can not move up in company. They do not value employees. Excessive amount of cleaning pay is barely above minimum wage. its boring. Most employees do not do the tasks required, it pushes work off on other employees.

Advice to Management

Keep your personal life at home. Give employees a pay raise sometime. If you have to stay late, management will change your punch time, so you will not get paid for staying late. you should really stop shorting peoples hours whenever you can get away with it. Stop with the power trip it is a simple low wage job and you are no better than your employees.

Planet Fitness2019-09-20
  10. "You could do better.."

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I worked at Planet Fitness part-time

Pros

- Free pizza on the first Monday of every month - Free gym membership

Cons

- Ask you to do WAY too much for the money they're paying you - You can get fired for the smallest thing

Planet Fitness2019-08-28