Postmates "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Postmates Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Oct 24, 2019

2.5
Postmates Co-Founder & CEO Bastian Lehmann
Bastian Lehmann
Pros
Cons
  • "long wait times between deliveries(in 178 reviews)

• "Chicago weather is very unfriendly to bike couriers(in 153 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Not worth it"

Current Freelancer - Fleet

I have been working at Postmates for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, driving can be fun

Cons

Pay is bad. I only drive during the weekly incentives from 5-9 in which if you complete a certain number of delivery's you make more money. Which is good if it's busy enough. The rest of the time your driving your making roughly 2 deliveries an hour, or roughly 8 dollars, 4 for each delivery, plus tips if your lucky. No gas. In California that's worse then minimum wage and they get away with it but hiring you... as an independent contractor. It's frankly a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees

Postmates2019-10-24
  2. "Great Flexibility, Inconsistent Pay"

Current Freelancer - Delivery Driver in State College, PA

I have been working at Postmates for more than a year

Pros

You can set your own schedule with Postmates, in that you're never under any obligation to work. That being said, there are times of the day where it makes much more sense work because there are more deliveries being ordered, but you can choose to work or not work as you please.

Cons

The pay is very inconsistent because you're paid by delivery. At peak order times when Postmates gives bonuses, you could earn more than $20 an hour, however, you could also earn less than minimum wage the next night just due to a lack of orders or a lack of bonuses. On a good night, Postmates is a great side job, but on a bad night it's frustrating and not worth your time.

Advice to Management

Offer consistent incentives in all of your markets so that drivers can always guarantee themselves above minimum wage. Or, cap the number of delivery drivers in a market so that it is not oversaturated, leaving enough orders for drivers to always make minimum wage.

Postmates2019-09-18

"Don't do it."

Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Postmates for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, but very rarely do you get orders sometimes.

Cons

You do not make minimum wage after you take out wear and tear on car and gas.

Postmates2019-10-20

"Dont waste your time"

Current Freelancer - Postmates Courier in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Postmates for less than a year

Pros

NONE (unless you're absolutely desperate for $20, The pay is less than minimum wage)

Cons

WASTE OF YOUR TIME. Don't be stupid

Advice to Management

Yall are some cheap horrible people.

Postmates2019-10-09
  5. "Low pay"

Former Freelancer - Driver in Athens, GA

I worked at Postmates

Pros

Choose when you want to work. No shifts required.

Cons

Total ripoff and here's a prime example. I had an order at a downtown restaurant (where I had to park in a loading zone due to limited parking.) While I was picking up the order, Postmates added on 2 additional orders that suddenly came in to the same restaurant. They hadn't even started preparing those orders. The extra wait time caused me to get a $50 parking ticket. The first order had the wrong delivery address.... It ended up taking over 45 minutes to run those 3 orders. What did I receive for my efforts? $6.89. Postmates combines the rates on stacked orders so you get paid less than you would get for picking up separate orders. You are better off only doing one at a time. But most individual orders only pay $3-5 anyway. Some take a lot of time as you have to place the order yourself, and the orders can be very complicated with details (which often do not even match the actual menu availability.) If it takes 20-30 minutes to run an order, you are barely making minimum wage. About half the customers do not tip, and the tips you do get may not show up in the app until days later. Offers are usually very slow to come in, unless Postmates is running a promo, and then you get inundated. Postmates does not have enough drivers to keep up with the demand on gamedays. Some restaurants would tell me they had many orders that were never picked up. Dispatching is poor and seems to be determined as the crow flies rather than the roads you have to drive. Pickup locations often too far away. Sometimes when you drive to the restaurant, it is already closed for the night. Driver support is basically non-existent. There are no phone numbers to call. You can send an email and get a canned response from another driver reminding you of the terms of the fleet agreement, which is essentially designed to rip you off. This company does not have your back if you have any issues out on the road.

Advice to Management

There are so many better alternatives out there both for the driver and the customer. You are offering great incentives to customers, but very poor incentives for drivers. It's really not worth it for drivers...who is going to pick up all those free delivery orders? Why would the customer order again if their order does not even get picked up? You need to start with valuing the time and efforts of your drivers.... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE DELIVERY.

Postmates2019-09-17

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver

I worked at Postmates

Pros

You choose your own hours.

Cons

You would be lucky to make minimum wage. Have to drive all the way across town for a five dillar order you might not even get a tip for. Oh yeah, and if you get into an accident there is a high possibility you won't be covered by insurance.

Advice to Management

Organize delivery routes better and pay a decent amount!

Postmates2019-09-05
  7. "ehhhhhhhhhhh"

Current Freelancer - Postmates Courier

I have been working at Postmates for more than a year

Pros

flexible, no requirement to work

Cons

sometimes you make minimum wage. it be like that sometimes

Postmates2019-05-01

"It took me 3 months to make what I would in a week on minimum wage."

Former Contractor - Fleet

I worked at Postmates for less than a year

Pros

You can sit at home while you wait for something to pop up. But on average I would get 1-4 orders a day which is not even 20 dollars

Cons

The say “make 20+ an hour!” But when I do the math I make below the minimum wage. On a bike you’ll just end up making 4-9 dollars an hour and the minimum wage is 15 where I live. I’m lucky if I make 20 bucks in a day. It’s definitely not a real job. It’s just something to do when you’re bored and you can use it for food or a drink without having the spend your money from an ACTUAL job. I’ll wait hours or maybe even... the whole day to get an order. I don’t think there’s been a day where I got more than 4 orders. They used to give us 5.50 per order but now they’ll pay less if the houses are close. So I’ll get around 4 bucks. I used to be able to pick up 2 orders and make 5.50 for each, but now they changed it depending on the distance and I got 7 dollars for two orders to two different houses. The amount I made in a month is the LESS than the amount I make in a days work at my actual job. There is literally no incentive to deliver for these guys and that’s why no one in my town will get any orders delivered. Oh and NOBODY TIPS. I deliver to rich neighborhoods and NO ONE TIPS. Stay at a real job. If you have to work here to make money you’re desperate.

Advice to Management

Honestly just sell this company. There’s a class action lawsuit against you anyways. People at the office seem to hate you just as much. Giving your deliverers absolute crap pay will NOT keep you in business.

Postmates2019-05-15
  9. "Postmates Review"

Current Freelancer - Courier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Postmates for more than a year

Pros

You get ultimate control over the amount of hours you work. Sometimes, the tips are good.

Cons

Base pay is not minimum wage when you factor in gas or auto depreciation, even individually. So, you are dependent on tips to make a living wage which is fine if you are in a bigger city. In a smaller one, you barely make minimum wage if even that.

Advice to Management

Offer major incentives to people in smaller areas with less demand. Increase the level of base compensation to people across the board ( take a smaller cut of the Postmates fee ) so that we, as couriers, are compensated for our gas and auto depreciation.

Postmates2019-02-16
  10. "25 an hour MyAss"

Former Freelancer - Delivery in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates for more than a year

Pros

You can work whenever you want to you're not tied to an exact schedule

Cons

The algorithms that the company Works through will determine when and where your pickups and drop-offs will be and if you pay careful attention 2 your payouts and tips you will calculate that you're basically making minimum wage

Postmates2019-02-27