Premier Inn Employee Reviews about "whitbread"

Updated 6 Feb 2020

3.4
Premier Inn Managing Director Simon Jones
Simon Jones
Pros
  • "Good company benefits-discounts on whitbread owned businesses(in 16 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment lucky to have a great team to back you up some genuine ladies to work with depending on which hotel you work at(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "whitbread"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Very enjoyable job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Premier Inn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good management and colleagues, pay for progression scheme which encourages you to be the best you can meaning there are pay rises available, loads of perks including discount at costa/premier inn/whitbread restaurants plus many more. There is also an apprenticeship program which they encourage you to sign up for - it’s totally worth it if you plan on staying with the company for the long term.

Cons

Sometimes you finish at 11pm and have to start at 7am the next morning - can be quite tough especially if you can’t switch off and sleep soon as you get into bed. Can also be difficult to recruit decent housekeepers so some days we are short staffed on housekeeping which causes a problem come 2pm (or earlier) when guests try to check in.

Premier Inn2018-03-07
  2. "Premier Inn Assistant Hotel Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Hotel Manager in Derby, England

I have been working at Premier Inn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good room discounts at all premier inns in the uk and Germany. Discounts at whitbread restaurants. Great staff. Easy routes for progression. Lots of training courses to go on for free.

Cons

Quick staff turnaround. If someone calls in sick you can be expected to do double shifts.

Premier Inn2020-02-06
  3. "Good Job if you need flexibility"

Former Employee - FOH in Derby, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Premier Inn full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job isn't too strenuous Ability to change around hours if/when need to with other receptionists Good for students who want to work part-time around their schedule

Cons

Whitbread is trying to be leaner with its staff so asking for covers or changing shifts may be difficult depending on your location. If it is an isolated location it might be tough. 3-11 or 11-7 shifts on weekends deal with drunk customers. On occasions, they can be a real hassle.

Premier Inn2019-09-17
  4. "Don't get a job here, unless desperate"

Current Employee - Receptionist

I have been working at Premier Inn part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Whitbread discount card gives you up to 50% off Whitbread companies - up to 50% off rooms

Cons

- no break when working 8hr shift (ILLEGAL) - management is awful and make up lies - VERY understaffed - guests are very expectant - no real career development, no matter how much they tell you there is.

Premier Inn2019-10-20

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them. Please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

"Digital is a waste of time"

Former Employee - Developer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Premier Inn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible working, slowly improving tech stack (but still A LOT of legacy applications)

Cons

You only need to read the reviews of Premier Inn and Whitbread to know how bad it is. Worst of all are the lies telling people it’s like a start up, it’s fun, you can earn a big bonus and you can do interesting things. You can’t and everyone complained the bonus paid out very poorly. This is a place where the most basic work takes months if not years. Where people are constantly leaving because they were lied to. Where feedback is taken and ignored repeatedly. Where control is held tightly at the top and you will NEVER EVER be able to do anything remotely interesting. The only people who can be bothered to stick it out are either the one agency filling all the vacated seats or people who don’t really care that nothing ever happens apart from basic work dictated to you. I have never seen so many people continuously leave one place and so many regret joining in the first place.

Premier Inn2019-09-22

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. We’ve thrived for 277 years by listening to our people and building the business around them and I appreciate the level of detail you've gone into on this platform. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further so please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

6. "Good job but only as part time"

Former Employee - FOH Team Member

I worked at Premier Inn part-time

Pros

Good company benefits-discounts on whitbread owned businesses.

Cons

Poor training for hosts- duty managers

Premier Inn2019-05-20

"Read the Whitbread reviews"

I have been working at Premier Inn full-time

Pros

Whitbread owns Premier Inn. Premier Inn is its only brand. All the head office employees and some of the hotel and restaurant staff work there. Read the reviews about Whitbread.

Cons

The Whitbread reviews say it all. The new tactic to try to get people to join is to post jobs under Premier Inn. If you are thinking of joining Premier Inn especially the London or Dunstable/Luton offices, read the Whitbread reviews. Rather than actually do anything to solve the problems they have decided to just post jobs under Premier Inn. The main points of frustration are it’s hierarchical, slow moving, outdated IT and technology, resistant to change, political, lots of people leaving all the time and many more.

Premier Inn2019-06-06

November 13, 2019Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. There's no skullduggery at play here. Premier Inn is a brand owned by Whitbread - and as such the Premier Inn Glassdoor account is for Premier Inn Operations. We have several Restaurant brands, so for simplicity we amalgamate them under the Whitbread banner along with reviews about working at our Whitbread Support Centre and Contact Centre. As a company we are always looking to improve to give our people the best possible experience when growing their career with us. However, without critical information, we aren't able to offer comment or investigate further. Please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

"Total betrayal"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Premier Inn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Highly motivated team who want to exceed guests expectations. Fantastic working relationships Operations Managers and team members

Cons

No work life balance. 16 hour shifts are not uncommon for Operations Managers. No support from upper management’’it’s your hotel deal with’’. Now the company has imposed mandatory redundancy’s for managers who are unwilling to operate 2 - 3 hotels for a nominal pay rise or accept a demotion to an hourly paid job with no real benefits but as a demoted assistant manager you are still expected to be accountable for the day to day operation of a hotel. Premier Inn used to be all about our guests and used to value there team sorry but this is no longer the case. The sale of Costa for 3.8 billion pounds was supposed to support growth in Whitbread PLC and stop the endless cuts in team labour models forced by Premier Inn senior management.

Premier Inn2018-10-18

"working at premier inn"

2.0
    Current Employee - Housekeeper

I have been working at Premier Inn part-time for less than a year

Pros

they have an excellent hourly pay rate of £7.50 and the staff at most hotels are very welcoming and great team workers. You also receive discounts at any store attached to the whitbread company

Cons

the job is extremely pressurising with a lot of time constrains considering it is a heavily demanding job practically. on a normal day we would only be expected to work 4 hours, this is in my opinion, not worth it for the hourly rate

Premier Inn2018-02-17

"Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at Premier Inn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually a very good team who are happy and that is projected to the guests. Great number of benefits with the company which is owned by Whitbread. Discounts and offers for other companies, gyms, holiday packages, opticians, learning to drive etc. A rewards card is given that is a cash loaded credit card which if you use you gain cash back with. This is also loaded with cash when rewarded for doing a good job. A chance to buy into company shares/stock is given once a year too. Discounts given for other Whitbread companies (Beefeater, Costa Coffee, Brewers etc). Hourly rate is raised twice after additional training after 3 months which is 25p per raise. Management are always happy to help you develop and push forward if you want that too.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours when one of the team is off, or there can be bad management as in any other job. If it is a small site like mine you are working alone and sometimes it feels like help is unavailable when needed. There are also safety concerns for being one member working at nights, during the day it is fine as there are staff members in adjoining restaurant.

Premier Inn2017-05-31

July 5, 2017Company Representative

Hi, thank you for your honest review. Its great you are enjoying your time working within the Premier Inn Brand. Working within the hospitality industry can be very demanding, but we would never want you to feel like work was too much. Our team members and their wellbeing, are incredibly important to us and we invest heavily in them. We have a number of internal processes in place to ensure situations like you have previously experienced are handled appropriately. If you need any further support with this, we would suggest speaking with your line manager or HR Business Partner.

Found 21 reviews