Premier Inn Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 7, 2021

Found 45 of over 874 reviews

3.6
Premier Inn Managing Director Simon Jones
Simon Jones
Pros
  • "Lots of staff benefits and good pay(in 26 reviews)

• "Good team, we all work together(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In busy times the work-life balance doesn’t really exist which is normal in hospitality(in 45 reviews)

• "Long hours which is frustrating(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fond Memories overall

Jun 14, 2021 - Assistant Operations Manager in Blackburn, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* The Operations Graduate Scheme was a fantastic experience which really set me up to integrate into a managerial position a year later. * All 3 managers I reported to (Operations Manager) during my time as AOM at Blackburn were extremely supportive and allowed me to have the freedom to implement ideas at site. * Staff discounts/ share scheme/ bonuses (although that is luck of the draw) *Team were fantastic, supportive and generally wanted to work. *Previous CGM' and then Area managers were fantastic. The former CGM for Airports Manchester and for Lancashire were some of the best I've worked with. When they made the transition to Area manager, they definitely let go of some fantastic people which was a shame.

Cons

* New opening was a stressful experience whose team prioritized deadlines over common sense. There was lack of support at times from their end and we actually ended up opening the hotel earlier when there were clear issues in ensuring we were financially compliant. * Lack of support at times- as an AOM you had to cover a lot of loose ends and i spent most of the time covering kitchen shifts alongside leadership duties so work life balance was not amazing. * Lack of external support to myself and team who experienced an adverse situation. Its all well and good saying we have a support system but the Area Manager handled that situation shockingly and it scars me to this day that I wish i did more to support the team.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Lovely colleagues guests can be mean.

Nov 7, 2021 - Front of House Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good perks and lovely team environment I loved the team I was in and the managers were always supportive, kind and professional

Cons

Hard work life balance and the guests can get mean as were the front of house to express all their complaints on to us.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Treated like minions

Nov 1, 2021 - Lead Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent apprenticeship scheme, and pay incentive if you are a housekeeper

Cons

No work life balance , shift pattern can be awful

4. 1.0
      Current Employee

Okay as a temporary employment

Oct 20, 2021 - Nights Receptionist in Bury St Edmunds, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team are friendly and helpful

Cons

Poor work life balance Management often pretend to care but actions speak differently

Digital Content Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are sorry to hear this is how you currently feel. We understand how demanding hospitality can be at times, and the importance of having a good work-life balance. It is important to us that our team feel supported in their roles, with regional management and HR in place to aid this. We will pass your feedback on and hopefully, this issue can be resolved.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee

Typical "Customer is always right" culture

Jul 1, 2021 - Hotel Receptionist in Farnborough, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chance to increase hourly rate (base, proficient, expert), hospitality apprenticeships offered, rare chance for rewards through Achievers app points.

Cons

No work-life balance, unrealistically tight turnaround (checkout at 1200pm, check-in at 1400pm), unwilling to hire desperately needed staff post-covid, weak-knee'd support for staff dealing with anti-social behaviour, 7-11 days of work without rest are not uncommon.

Digital Content Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Working in the hospitality industry can be demanding, but we recognise it's important to get the right balance between challenging and impossible. It does sound like your issues need to be dealt with locally rather than through a channel like Glassdoor. Firstly, I’d encourage you to take a proactive approach by being open with your line manager, but if you do not feel you can do this, please get into contact with one of the Operations Directors directly – your comments will be taken seriously. Alternatively please email glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com and give us the best opportunity to use your insight to help us understand and implement any required changes to the way we work.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Overworked and underpaid

Jun 27, 2021 - Deputy Hotel Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount for stays at premier inn Discount food from restaurant on shift Chance for progression Plenty of hours on reception Enjoyed the guests Worked with some great colleagues

Cons

- 20k salary per year - on call 24 hours a day - if somebody calls in sick that’s more work for you with no extra pay - struggle to take holiday as no staff want to cover your shifts - two years I have struggle to take holiday - targets are very difficult. - workload is almost impossible to keep up with it upper management seem blind to this. -work 40 hours on a reception desk while trying to keep a hotel running. Rotas/ health and safety/balancing budgets/staff calling you at any time of the day/ balancing restaurant and hotel needs. Complaints/ hotel maintenance. - unfortunately premier inn are not listening to their staff at the moment. Profit seems to be more important than well-being. - no work life balance. Your life becomes thinking about what the hotel needs 24hours a day. - blame culture, not enough training for staff. Errors are not accepted as Human error. - two many documented conversations, management only look after themselves. -management expect workers to drop their lives for the hotel and cannot have any set working days. Which in turn means they can not plan any life. No external hobbies, or activities for the kids. But the management will be off every weekend.

Digital Content Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we try to listen to all opinions shared on this site and use them to feedback to the management team. Working within our industry can be very demanding, but we would never want you to feel like work was too much. Our team members, and their wellbeing, are incredibly important to us and we invest heavily in them. We have a number of internal processes in place to ensure situations like you have previously experienced are handled appropriately. If you need any further support with this, do speak with your line manager or HR Business Partner. With regards to your other comments, we have robust processes and policies in place to ensure that employees are able to get support and guidance when required. We have an employee relations help desk, who deal with escalations, we also partner with Hospitality Action who are an independent, and totally confidential service available to all our employee's 24 hours per day, 365 days a year. They can be contacted on 0808 802 2111. We will definitely take your review on board and, if you'd like to, you can email us at glassdoorreviews@whitbread.com to continue the conversation.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee

Hotel Industry

May 19, 2021 - Deputy Hotel Manager in Nottingham, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing people to work with

Cons

Not a great work life balance, on call 24/7, be able to pick up extra unpaid shifts

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

no work life balance

Apr 26, 2021 - Manager in Eastbourne, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Complete controls of the hotels

Cons

No work life balance and alot of 16 hour shifts.

Digital Content Manager

Hi, thank you for your review. Working within the hospitality industry can be very demanding, but we would never want you to feel like work was too much. Our team members and their wellbeing, are incredibly important to us and we invest heavily in them. We have a number of internal processes in place to ensure situations like you have previously experienced are handled appropriately. If you need any further support with this, I would suggest speaking with your line manager or HR Business Partner.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Amazing Company to work for!

Mar 29, 2021 - Housekeeping Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities for personal development and career opportunities if you wish to progress. There is great benefits, pension's and share save scheme Supportive management, friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Hospitality is a 365 year business and so at times this if you allow it can impact your work life balance.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company - but not great

Apr 12, 2021 - Nights Receptionist in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, benefits and ability to progress

Cons

not good time management/work/life balance - was always needed to stay an extra 25-40 mins after shift to finish handover, shifts not flexible

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews