Progressive Insurance Inbound Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 5 Jan 2020

3.9
Progressive Insurance President and Chief Executive Officer Tricia Griffith
Tricia Griffith

"Great Company, Not-So-Great Position"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The corporate culture is unparalleled in its positivity and they do make an effort to ensure you feel welcomed as a new employee. They provide you with every resource possible to succeed in order to “pass” training. The CEO is extremely pleasant. The workforce is also very diverse.

Cons

The job itself is a call center job. You are tied to your chair by your headset for your entire shift. The only reprieve you get are your legally mandated breaks which get eaten into by your bathroom breaks, of which you will take many because of the copious amount of water you will drink to ensure the integrity of your voice as you talk for hours on end. About 60% of the conversations you will have are fine, the other 40 being unpleasant or downright intolerable. Yes, it turns out people will willingly call you to scream about their poor driving record and getting a highly priced quote because of it. Unpleasant customers calling in are not necessarily the company’s fault; but their sales process that they mandate must be followed on every call no matter the circumstances exacerbated many unpleasant calls I had. Angry/inpatient potential customers are not interested in hearing about Progressive’s homeowner’s line and/or bundle opportunities - they want to get a quote and end the call. The mandated sales process complicated that process immensely, with little room for variation.

Progressive Insurance2020-01-05
  2. "GREAT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, great benefits

Cons

not enough break time since you're virtual, new system to ask to leave early is the worst

Progressive Insurance2019-11-15
  3. "Great place!"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Mayfield, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and great people

Cons

none that i can think of

Progressive Insurance2019-02-07
  4. "Excellent company"

Inbound Sales Representative

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Very good culture. You get what you put in. Dont be a S-bag and you'll succeed.

Cons

Too much free time in training

Advice to Management

Provide more work for those in training. Too much free time.

Progressive Insurance2018-11-26

"A good job for the work you put into it."

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Riverview, FL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, great support from other staff, very flexible for requesting time off. It can be a Great work environment.

Cons

Can be a pain when trying to move up. Work can become very repetitive and boring. Doing a lot of the same tasks every day.

Progressive Insurance2018-04-20

"Inbound Sales Representatve"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work! Love it and would highly recommend! They throughly train you, continue to coach you for success, all with an amazing super positive spirit. There's a true respect for quality of life in and outside of work and for being yourself. If you truly enjoy people and making them happy, Progressive is an amazing place to be.

Cons

I really can not think of any cons. But I'm required to have a 20 word minimum in this area.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing right now, keep doing it! It's working great!

Progressive Insurance2017-05-09

"Discrimination"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer good pay and the benefits are very comparable. The cubicles are nice to be able to stay organized.

Cons

When I started there my team included a couple of woman that had worked there for 5-7 years. They gave me some advice (that turned out to not to good advice). It seemed harmless I was putting myself at the end of the phone line instead of just throwing myself randomly in the middle. But because of that they fired me. Instead of just explaining it was wrong I was out the door. I was told there was nothing they could do they didn't have the power to say I could stay because it was morally wrong of me(even though it was the main managers of my branch). Later a teammate called me up and said they brought him in the office for the same thing but just gave him a warning. I feel they discriminated against my sex and age. Why did an older man that had been there same amount of time as me get to keep his job but I was fired. I wound up losing everything because of that. I had stopped going to vet tech school to pursue this. After I lost my job my relationship fell apart, then my car got repossessed (my parents had co-signed so they didn't even want to talk to me) then I lost my apartment. And the whole time all I could think of was the manager as she walked me out saying keep your chin up. It was taunting me. So apparently putting yourself at the end of a phone line is more morally wrong than discriminating against sex and age.

Advice to Management

Learn to look an employees like a human without discriminating.

Progressive Insurance2017-06-10

"What You Give is What You Get"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Advanced training; ability to choose schedule based upon tenure and performance metrics; clearly outlined numerical performance expectations; annual 8% performance bonus; plentiful work-from-home opportunities; experienced management; ability to self-select daily break times

Cons

Repetitive call environment; must often explain difficult or technical underwriting protocol to customers who may not understand or accept; frequent periods of high call-volume with less than 5 seconds between calls

Progressive Insurance2016-09-12

"Quality of life steadily going down"

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly coworkers, variety of shifts available.

Cons

Workload more than tripled over past few years. Along with less off the phone time and a total disconnect between corporate message and managers. Also, seeing new reps get hired on at way higher base pay and preferred shifts is demoralizing. Gave this company a 0 internal culture survey across the board for first time ever.

Advice to Management

Cant stop this snowball.

Progressive Insurance2016-09-27

"Good no longer"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

Used to have an awesome culture.

Cons

All they care about now is making money, profit. In Rancho Cordova you will succeed if you are female, come from a certain country or identify a certain way.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Investigate what has taken over at that site. Go back to realizing customer service first instead of profit.

Progressive Insurance2016-10-16