Proto Labs Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Proto Labs President & CEO Victoria Holt
Victoria Holt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Proto Labs has been a great place to work (in 9 reviews)

• The company also offers a respectful and fun work environment, casual dress code, and flexible schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • HQ is in Maple Plain, so it's a few extra minutes to interesting places to eat out (in 7 reviews)

• Currently limited mobility for upper management (in 4 reviews)

"Great Software Job"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Telford, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Telford, England

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Proper agile development using scrum; good collaboration; good recognition; room for advancement

Cons

Low salary compared to US developers. UK office facilities are very poor compared to the US, Japan, Germany, and France offices. Upper management puts too much focus on share price, so we defer growing software teams even when we're profitable, making it hard to deliver. UK management has a "do what I say, not what I do" attitude -- everyone except them punches a time clock, for example.

Advice to Management

Teams will be slow to deliver until they are allowed to grow a bit more. UK management needs to embrace ALL company values, including "trust."

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time

Pros

was a startup environment a few years ago, this is changing but it's still quite a thrill
    amazing growth

Cons

like all former start ups, there is a time when putting in place a serious organization is needed, with skilled people, not afraid of being disruptive whenever the way of working ("we have always done like this") need to be changed : it's NOW, and it's NOT being done

Advice to Management

stop losing your skilled and talented people because you think anyone is replaceable, you're losing trained people that adds value, to newbies that only cost less, but will leave without regrets whenever a more lucrative opportunity shows up

"Really poor senior management"

Pros

Used to be such a cool place to work but not now. Driven by a senior management team that's completely moved away from the manufacturing team and do not understand what is actually going on.

Cons

Such a shame this is going this way. Senior management team are not looking after the dedicated workers who are willing to go the extra mile but completely unsupported. The gulf between manufacturing and senior management is massive, no structure in place.

Advice to Management

Support your teams and look after them.

5. "Fun place to work!"

Current Employee - TechOps Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - TechOps Employee in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The TechOps department has a great workplace culture. It is a very positive environment with friendly co-workers and supervisors/managers. The expectations are pretty high but the supervisors provide constructive, positive feedback when you don't hit those goals. Continous improvement is regularly implemented and employees are empowered to contribute their ideas. The benefits are also really good and are tough to beat working elsewhere.

Cons

Not really any cons that at worth mentioning. Certain aspects of the job are more enjoyable than others which is a given for any job. But with all things considered it really isn't a bad gig.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep the positive nature of the department going strong as it is one of the best aspects of working for this department.

6. "Mostly a great place to work."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maple Plain, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Maple Plain, MN (US)

I worked at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s a great place to work and wonderful people to work with. The building at HQ is good and very open. Flexible with schedules. The work is great and lots of variety.

Cons

Management needs to have better transparency. There are things that are communicated to 1 department, but not others. For example sales will be told one thing, customer service another, and manufacturing something else.

There are a lot of politics happening there too. If you are a favorite you get away with things. If you aren’t a favorite there isn’t much you can do right.

Also, the location isn’t great and there are no options to telecommute, making the drive there during the winter isn’t always easy.

Advice to Management

Be more aware what’s going on in the departments and what should be shared between departments. Understanding there are times that things can’t be shared across the board, but the secret keeping causes an us versus them between the different departments and even different groups within the departments.

7. "Good Company"

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time

Pros

Good culture and exciting developments. Great benefits.

Cons

Slightly underpaid. Gets better over time though.

8. "Overall Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Plain, MN (US)

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Successful business model, informal, fantastic CEO, collaborative culture. fast-paced, leadership and employees want to do things right. Very positive energy among employees. Great and affordable benefits.

Cons

Sometimes too fast-paced. Can be stressful for employees who are dedicated to doing a great job. Long commute.

Advice to Management

We're getting there.....!

9. "Solving Fun Problems and Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Proto Labs for a few years and have watched the company triple in size. Since my first day I have always had fun problems to solve like how to do something that's never done before. The people here are great, but the environment we have within our business allows our people to be more than great. Someone said once that it's like living in a household with no debt, a half a year's salary in the bank and every year the family get's a 20% raise. That family has a very different life. That's what life at Proto Labs feels like to me. Our business is very healthy and growing and that allows great people to flourish. We are not perfect, but I wouldn't trade my family for anything.

Cons

Growing pains? Keeping up with growth is a unique challenge for a business. It's not always easy and can lead to tension, not necessarily a bad thing, but a challenge at times.

Advice to Management

Stay real - remember we are in it together.

10. "AMAZING, fast-growing company with leadership that values their employees"

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fast-growing
    - Opportunities for advancement
    - Top-notch management
    - Inspiring, approachable and forward-thinking CEO
    - Relaxed dress code
    - All employees valued
    - Fairly compensated
    - Good benefits
    - Strongly-performing public company
    - At the forefront of the digital manufacturing revolution
    - Well-regarded in the industry
    - Open to new ideas

Cons

The one con I can think of is location.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Thanks for making Proto Labs the best job I've ever had - by far.

11. "Great growing company with lots of potential"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Maple Plain, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Maple Plain, MN (US)

I have been working at Proto Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth potential of the company, career path, open collaboration, reward and recognition structure and fun team atmosphere

Cons

I dont have any at the moment

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with customers and employees to drive the right business change.