Pulse (UK) Employee Reviews about "career progression"

Updated 3 Aug 2019

3.9
Pulse (UK) CEO Mike Barnard
Mike Barnard
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Having been part of the Pulse family for 10 years I am proud to work for such a great company(in 25 reviews)

• "Clear career progression, which is mapped out in a career pathway(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in(in 16 reviews)

• "Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "career progression"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Excellent environment to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King's Cross, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great on boarding Clear career progression Compared to other recruitment companies great work life balance Always looking for feedback from staff Investment in staff and technology to support business performance rather than cost cutting

Cons

Sometimes can be demotivating when you see others who don't put as much effort in as yourself be allowed to get away with it

Pulse (UK)2019-02-16

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi - thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback and take this on board as we want this to continue to be a great place to work. It's great to read that you feel there is a clear career progression and work-life balance. Investment in our people and the business is key to growth and so it's great to see that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work.

"A once great company that has lost its way"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Account Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There were some great people within the business. The CEO is a great leader, but his senior management let him down.

Cons

I worked for Pulse for over 10 years and the reviews I have seen on here do not reflect the poor treatment that I have seen happen especially over the last 2 years. The division I worked in had no direction or strategy. Poor decisions at senior management level lead to losing many major contracts and candidates. It all could have been different if they had listened to the staff who were on the ground who knew the market. This once great company who I absolutely loved working for let me down. Lack of support to do my job efficiently, poor communication, and being left to keep staff moral high after changes being made to the business that I had no say in. No career progression- a career pathway was spoken about and promised for over 3 years which never materialised. The bonus structure is an absolute joke for what is supposed to a recruitment company! finally the company of late has lost some really good employees who worked hard and grew the business at its peak, these employees were loyal and stayed because they wanted to see the company get to that success again, but you let them down. I'm still waiting for my exit interview so I thought I'd write a review.

Pulse (UK)2019-08-03

August 7, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of working at Pulse wasn't as positive towards the end of your career as we'd like to achieve. I want to reassure you that we will take your feedback on board and ensure that we work with the Leadership team to address these concerns and take any remedial action to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thank you for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us. You have stated that you didn’t receive an exit interview; if you wish, please contact me at marcia.white@ukics.com, so that this can be arranged.

3. "Pulse"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Clear Career Progression including pay rise's - Lots of supporting sales functions to make your role as stress free as possible - Managing Director for AHP is amazingly supportive and gets so involved - Training and support always offered - Uncapped commission, with a huge window to earn extra money/attend trips with quarterly and yearly incentives - Realistic KPIs

Cons

Recruitment can be stressful, i think everyone in the industry would agree that you need to put in what you want to get out. Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in. Pulse will do what they can to support you and relieve any stress where possible.

Pulse (UK)2019-01-29

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read that you feel there is development and a clear progression route for our employees and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

4. "Working at Pulse"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cheshunt, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Great work/life balance • Excellent pay & commission scheme • Clear career progression, which is mapped out in a career pathway • Amazing benefits - holiday incentives, quarterly outings for high performance members of staff, discount vouchers, private healthcare option, pension scheme, 25 days holiday and much more • In depth training programme – a 12-week training programme that gives you the opportunity to learn from the Director, senior consultants and learning and development team. • Opportunities to further your education with support in the Certificate of Recruitment & many other courses for management and more.

Cons

Working for Pulse and in any sales environment can be extremely high pressured and demanding, this can often result in a stressful work environment. However, Pulse have always been very understanding of this and have always supported my stresses.

Pulse (UK)2019-01-28

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to read about the opportunities you've benefited from with training and development and the clear progression route and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

5. "Fantastic recruitment company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent career progression, great benefits, real family feel, open and honest management, first class training, allows autonomy in role, forward thinking and encourages innovation.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to measure performance if profits aren’t moving forward - this is generally the nature of recruitment.

Pulse (UK)2018-08-14

August 17, 2018Group HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've worked hard to ensure we create career progression opportunities for everyone so it great to hear this is having a positive impact. It also great to hear that we've retained a family feel despite our growth. We will continue to listen to our staff as always. Thanks

"Good start to a recruitment career"

4.0

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

-Colleagues in the office very warm and welcoming -Team culture is strong and emphasis on working as a team -On-Boarding programme teaches you everything you need to succeed -Ongoing training and development opportunities -Kings Cross location is easy to get to if you live in London -team drinks/office competitions and charity work have become more frequent since 2017.

Cons

-Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions. -Bonus structure isn't the clearest in comparison to competitiors -KPIs are very rigid meaning there is little room for consultants who are successful outside of the traditional mould.

Pulse (UK)2017-12-29

January 4, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you feel our on-boarding programme sets our people up for success and that you experienced on-going training and development opportunities and frequent team and charity events whilst you were working with us. We are very passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within ICS; developing clear career paths, providing training and opportunities for progression is definitely a key focus across our business. We will of course continue keep the office culture - it's great to hear that you would recommend us as a great place to start your career!

"OK"

Bookings Coordinator in Kings Cross, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) for more than a year

Pros

Pulse provided company events, had a great Christmas party and is based in a great location! You generally can leave work when your contracted time is up. There seems to be opportunities for career progression e.g bookings consultant to recruitment consultant to senior consultant and then team leader (if you want to be in senior management though, it might be difficult to get there if you are from an ethnic minority)! They also have a good benefit system and the MD and CEO are friendly.

Cons

The commission. They tell you at your interview that you receive individual commission if you hit your targets and then when you start, they change it to a team target. Its ridiculous because even if you work hard and hit your target every month, unless everyone on the team hits the target, you get nothing! It is one of the reasons I left. You also get micro managed.... its like being in school... but if they like you, you can take a 30 minute loo break every 2 hours (which a few of my colleagues did- funnily enough- they were the ones NOT hitting their target)!

Pulse (UK)2016-10-02

"0% chance of career progression here"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Private health insurance - HR team are good here - Nice offices

Cons

- No internal career progression and no opportunity to extend your knowledge - No acknowledgement from senior staff for overtime completed - No opportunity to extend your career knowledge even when you present them with courses to go on - Seem more willing to bring in external staff who fail every time in my time than willing to promote within which has worked every time so far in my time - Marketing team are rubbish

Pulse (UK)2016-09-05
  9. "Pulse London Nursing- fantastic place to work!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been working at Pulse London Nursing for just over 18 months and would highly recommend Pulse as an employer. Everyone is respected as individuals and supported with their personal goals, whether this is career progression or continuity in their current roles. Having no previous experience in recruitment, I have been offered thorough training, which in turn, helped to develop my abilities both professionally and personally, giving me the confidence to apply and be successful for promotion within the company. Managers are always on hand if you have a query and easy to talk to should you require any additional support. Regular staff meetings and events mean that you get to know everybody in the office and there is also a real community feel within the organisation.

Cons

It would be interesting to learn more about how other areas of Pulse, such as the regional teams, are doing and to have more interaction with these teams to see if there is anything they are doing differently that may benefit the way in which we work.

Pulse (UK)2016-05-16

July 18, 2016Head of HR

Thank you for your review - it's fantastic to read that you would highly recommend Pulse as an employer. Our people are our most important asset; its great that you feel everyone is respected as individuals, supported with their personal goals and that there is a real community feel within the organisation. Thank you for your feedback!

10. "Pulse Nursing - Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, good managers, an open and transparent commission scheme that isn’t forever changing. People are genuinely working towards the same goals and there is a real focus on delivering excellent customer service to candidates and clients meaning the brand is well respected. The training is excellent for new starters covering not only their role but the wider remit and development is available to all staff whether you want career progression or to excel in your current role. The management team work hard to support their teams and are open to listening to new ideas and suggestions. There certainly isn’t a culture of not changing as we have always done it this way.

Cons

I have read some of the reviews on here and have worked in other recruitment companies. The expectations of staff are reasonable for a recruitment firm, in fact I was pleasantly surprised when I started here. You are not required to be on call or take a phone home as is the case with a number of other healthcare agencies, you are encouraged to take a break and not work through your lunch. There isn’t the usual recruitment industry expectations of being at your desk from 8 am – 6 pm, if you are on the early shift you finish at 4.30. But does the company expect you to work hard when you are at work and they make this clear at outset. Working in recruitment isn’t a ‘cushy desk job’ and if that is what you are after this isn’t the place to be.

Pulse (UK)2016-05-13

July 18, 2016Head of HR

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback; helping us to ensure that Pulse continues to be a great place to work for everyone. We will of course continue to keep up the good work - It's fantastic that you consider us to be a great place to work and that you feel supported in your career.

Found 19 reviews