Pulse (UK) Employee Reviews about "pulse"

Updated 27 Jan 2020

3.9
Pulse (UK) CEO Mike Barnard
Mike Barnard
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Having been part of the Pulse family for 10 years I am proud to work for such a great company(in 25 reviews)

• "Clear career progression, which is mapped out in a career pathway(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in(in 16 reviews)

• "Lack of career progression or a clear pathway after initial promotions(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "pulse"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Pulse Nursing teams"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Having been part of the Pulse family for 10 years I am proud to work for such a great company. You have autonomy and trust to help grow the business, open communication and so much in terms of benefits from a simple thank you, through to an amazing Christmas party.

Cons

Very few, the nature of what we do = fast pace and often a busy environment, but if you work hard the pros certainly out weigh the cons

Pulse (UK)2019-03-01

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read about your positive experience and to see that you'd recommend this as a great place to work. Listening and acting upon feedback play a key part in engaging with our employees and we'll continue to do so. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

"Still Struggling to Compete"

1.0

I worked at Pulse (UK)

Pros

Was with the company for 8 years, I believed what we were doing was good for the NHS and Private clients which is was as it was all about service and quality which in the early days was true. Good co-workers which on my team we worked like a team and would be there to support each other and would get some fantastic numbers on the board and didn’t let the major micro management certain other team’s experiences distract us however cringe worthy it would be sometimes to watch. Good benefits which you would expect from a corporate environment and management on the outside would be friendly. Nice enough offices, Kings Cross so fine to get too.

Cons

Management were in a bubble with no diversity race wise and at one point due to the Divisional Boss who was a founder was quite Anti Male (This May of changed now) One question I thought was very weird at the 2nd interview was how would you feel working for a woman??? I thought I had kinda stepped back time and responded with surprise at the question but answered accordingly. You would have to fight to get your bonus of them, they would make up silly KPI’s which they knew were outdated and use it to deduct percentages off your bonus if you would let them get away with it. An example would be one month we were set a ridiculous target as a team and if the team didn’t hit it then you could of hit 40K just yourself but if your team didn’t hit it you wouldn’t get anything. My team were £5K of a target that was raised to a ridiculous amount yet we almost did it and we got nothing, no bonus yet management got theirs. That was the last time, as a team we decided to stop pushing if we didn’t feel we were going to hit the target and basically told management this as there would be no point so they then gave us a percentage of what we would get but still wasn’t much of an incentive if your doing really well personally. Middle management would always contradict itself as they would alway walk out of that LMT meeting with the most silly tasks which would send staff a different message to a couple of weeks ago which they then couldn’t justify when they would be questioned on this. Company lost its way with the introduction of NHS Caps, Pulse was always known for its quality but the biggest complaint from clients was how much they were being charged which was considerably more than other agencies were charging, when caps came in management decided that they knew best and wanted to keep their margin and assumed others would follow by declining the caps. They were wrong other agencies were actually far off the caps in terms of what they were charging so it didn’t need that much adjusting and over night Pulse lost Big Clients, Teams went from hitting £30K - £40K to barely hitting £10K - £15K which was the beginning of the end. Forward 2020 X2 New Divisional Director’s later and unfortunately Pulse haven’t been able to move on from the past. Speaking to people surprisingly still there from the old management they are effectively working for little or no commission as they have never recovered and other agencies have built positively working within Caps and IR35 and morale at Pulse is at an all time low and I’ve been informed that they are now changing the commission structure again which has been something they have been doing frequently with little success finding one that suits both parties.

Pulse (UK)2020-01-27

February 3, 2020HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's good to read about the experience you had with your co-workers and that whilst you were working for us you considered our benefits and our work environment to be positive aspects of our business. It's disappointing to read your comments in relation to previous management and that your experience of working at Pulse wasn’t as positive as we’d like to achieve. We know the approach taken with the NHS caps had an impact on our business, however, this is something we have learned from. There have been changes to the structure and leadership team within the Pulse Nursing business and we are confident that issues you refer to are no longer current. We have recently introduced a career pathway, individual and team recognition and incentives and are working towards a clear vision for 2020. We always appreciate feedback, whether good or bad, in order to help us make Pulse a great place to work. Your comments have been fed back and we will work with the Leadership team to address these concerns so as to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thanks again for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us.

3. "Ability to make money if you put the work in."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pulse allows you to work autonomously but also as part of a team as there is always somebody to help and support you to get to the top. The holiday allowance is beneficial as it makes you realise the importance of work / life balance.

Cons

Not everybody takes advantage of the structure and ability to progress.

Pulse (UK)2019-12-03

January 31, 2020HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read about your positive experience and that you feel you have had support to help you in your role. I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

"A once great company that has lost its way"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Account Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I worked at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There were some great people within the business. The CEO is a great leader, but his senior management let him down.

Cons

I worked for Pulse for over 10 years and the reviews I have seen on here do not reflect the poor treatment that I have seen happen especially over the last 2 years. The division I worked in had no direction or strategy. Poor decisions at senior management level lead to losing many major contracts and candidates. It all could have been different if they had listened to the staff who were on the ground who knew the market. This once great company who I absolutely loved working for let me down. Lack of support to do my job efficiently, poor communication, and being left to keep staff moral high after changes being made to the business that I had no say in. No career progression- a career pathway was spoken about and promised for over 3 years which never materialised. The bonus structure is an absolute joke for what is supposed to a recruitment company! finally the company of late has lost some really good employees who worked hard and grew the business at its peak, these employees were loyal and stayed because they wanted to see the company get to that success again, but you let them down. I'm still waiting for my exit interview so I thought I'd write a review.

Pulse (UK)2019-08-03

August 7, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your experience of working at Pulse wasn't as positive towards the end of your career as we'd like to achieve. I want to reassure you that we will take your feedback on board and ensure that we work with the Leadership team to address these concerns and take any remedial action to improve the experience of our employees both now and in the future. Thank you for your contribution to Pulse over the time you’ve worked with us. You have stated that you didn’t receive an exit interview; if you wish, please contact me at marcia.white@ukics.com, so that this can be arranged.

5. "Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Compliance Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pulse have put in place a great career pathway, which means you are in control of what you want to achieve in your career and the timescale in which to achieve it. There is a high level of on-going personal developement which is personally tailored rather than just attending generic training sessions.

Cons

Parking can sometimes be limited

Pulse (UK)2019-04-03

April 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are passionate about supporting our employees to help them to grow within Pulse and ICS; developing clear career paths and providing training and opportunities for progression is a key focus across our business. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here

6. "Lovely place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pulse has a great training programme for new starters and continues to support you throughout your career with regular training & upsklling on market changes. Great incentives in place to keep us motivated whether it be the ability to win a £10 voucher or a trip away! There is always opportunity for you to grow with a clear career pathway. Enjoyable office with a great buzz! Overall a great place to work!!

Cons

Nothing significant that I need to share!!

Pulse (UK)2019-02-04

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hello, it's great to read about your positive experience and to see that you'd recommend this as a great place to work. Developing our people and recognition are a key part of engaging with our employees. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

7. "Pulse"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Clear Career Progression including pay rise's - Lots of supporting sales functions to make your role as stress free as possible - Managing Director for AHP is amazingly supportive and gets so involved - Training and support always offered - Uncapped commission, with a huge window to earn extra money/attend trips with quarterly and yearly incentives - Realistic KPIs

Cons

Recruitment can be stressful, i think everyone in the industry would agree that you need to put in what you want to get out. Pulse give everyone the tools to be able to thrive in a buzzy, fast paced, stressful environment should they be willing to put the work in. Pulse will do what they can to support you and relieve any stress where possible.

March 1, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, it's great to read that you feel there is development and a clear progression route for our employees and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

8. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time

Pros

Pulse have been very supportive and have kept to their word since i have started. The training that i have received has been amazing and has covered every detail.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons. But it is normal to have a bad day, but if you are having a bad day the atmosphere in the office is so motivating and drives you to work hard and their is so much support and experience around you.

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Hello, it's great to read about your positive experience. Developing our people and having a great on-boarding process for our new joiners are key to success. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

9. "The company as a whole work ethically."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Broxbourne, East of England, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked for Pulse for over a decade and I can honestly say I feel that they genuinely care about me as an individual and value my hard work. The company as a whole work ethically.

Cons

Working for such a large organisation means at times "processes" can hold you back and take time.

June 14, 2019HR Business Partner

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. It's great to read about your positive experience and to see that you'd recommend this as a great place to work. Thank you for your continued service - if you have recommendations as to how our processes can be improved then do let us/your manager know.

10. "Working at Pulse"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Cheshunt, England

I have been working at Pulse (UK) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Great work/life balance • Excellent pay & commission scheme • Clear career progression, which is mapped out in a career pathway • Amazing benefits - holiday incentives, quarterly outings for high performance members of staff, discount vouchers, private healthcare option, pension scheme, 25 days holiday and much more • In depth training programme – a 12-week training programme that gives you the opportunity to learn from the Director, senior consultants and learning and development team. • Opportunities to further your education with support in the Certificate of Recruitment & many other courses for management and more.

Cons

Working for Pulse and in any sales environment can be extremely high pressured and demanding, this can often result in a stressful work environment. However, Pulse have always been very understanding of this and have always supported my stresses.

Pulse (UK)2019-01-28

March 8, 2019HR Business Partner

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to read about the opportunities you've benefited from with training and development and the clear progression route and that you'd recommend Pulse as a great place to work. We will support individuals wherever we can, however if you wish to feedback any suggestions as to how we can help our employees to manage stress then please let us know - we'd welcome your ideas. It's great to read about your positive experience thus far and I hope that you continue to develop and progress in your career here.

Found 38 reviews