Find jobs for Software Engineer

QinetiQ Group CEO Steve Wadey
Steve Wadey
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

Sep 26, 2021 - Software Engineering Graduate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, Employee focussed, Diverse work

Cons

Average pay, Could be more modern in some areas

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great job Poor Pay

Aug 27, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Lincoln, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting work and great people

Cons

Minimal reward for anything you do

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Jun 10, 2021 - Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

challenging, interesting, innovative research projects

Cons

can be stressful with tight timeline

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you. We greatly value your opinions, and the balance of your particular comments.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to Work for

Mar 5, 2021 - Junior Software Developer in Lincoln, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits - Travel and accommodation expenses - Great co-workers - Supportive managers - Great friendly culture - Opportunity to do interesting work

Cons

Can require a security clearance for most roles so be prepared that it may not be obtained. They are supportive through this process but only to a certain extent which is fair.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic people, draining work

Sep 17, 2020 - Graduate Software Engineer in Malvern, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic knowledgeable people to work with and learn from, flexible working, and interesting work

Cons

All technology and practices were at least a few years out of date, and there were many blockers for getting anything done.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Lack of career progression, short sighted decision making, poor management, slow and poor decision making chain

Jul 30, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Malvern, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work can be interesting, work balance can be ok but not always

Cons

Creates pressure due to poor management, should support staff better so they can perform better

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

QinetiQ is increasingly irrelevant and out-of-date, unable to be faster, better or cheaper

Nov 1, 2018 - Software Engineer in Malvern, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

the malvern hills look nice

Cons

no buzz or vibe, few young people, very little leadership vision, no career progression, weak values and standards, and under-investment in many business areas. The Peter Principle is rife in Engineering.

5 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thanks for your feedback, we've been working on a number of these areas. We've been recruiting heavily recently and a number of those roles have been in early careers so we are balancing our demographics out. We do have career pathways defined and mapped out for a lot of our business which we think provides a lot of visibility and opportunities for career progression. The company is making significant investments at this site (and others) in projects, working environment and tools that we use day to day. We have recently invested in an anonymous employee feedback system which we feel will enable us to gather and action feedback rapidly. QinetiQ Malvern site is a great place to do really interesting and valuable work.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love the people I work with but management destroys efforts

Jul 17, 2018 - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work, interesting people, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Management does not value its people, who are brilliant.

2 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

We really sorry to hear that you feel that many employees are ignored and not developed, we are listening to all our employees and are keen to understand how we can ensure employees always feel valued and at the heart of our organisation. We have recently launched an engagement framework that puts our employees voice at the center of our thinking, so we hope that you start to feel like your thoughts are being taken on board. Keep us posted both through QTalks, the up and coming road shows and with discussions with your line manager, your thoughts as to whether you feel things are improving.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Graduate Scheme needs to be focused

Nov 6, 2017 - Associate Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wide Berth of choice in terms of placements., support to pursue Chartership with various engineering bodies. The people I have worked with have been all extremely friendly. The culture is extremely relaxed, though this can prove to be a con as well.

Cons

Unfortunately the amount of bureaucracy in the company makes it extremely hard to perform basic tasks such as procuring equipment. This can lead to unnecessarily long delays which lowers morale. In terms of the graduate scheme, placements are either extremely good or a waste of time. Many departments offering placements will give engineering graduates the admin work on a project, This is due to how the graduates are essentially free labour on projects. This can be extremely disheartening for an engineering graduate who is eager to apply their knowledge gained from their degree

Group Resourcing Partner

Thanks for your points and thoughts, it is really helpful to understand your views. I am glad that you have worked in a supportive team. If you are part of our Early Careers community you will know that we have been working hard to re-launch the programme focusing on stretching assignments, development and improving communications. We hope you feel like things are moving forward for both yourself and your colleagues. Keep giving us your thoughts and feedback it really helps us to shape your programme with you.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Interesting varied work

Oct 21, 2017 - Software Engineer in Malvern, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Highly knowledgeable, enthusiastic and friendly staff - Expertise in many domains providing opportunity for varied work - Flexi-time policy accommodates family life, employees trusted to manage their working hours - Good pension benefits

Cons

- Career progression needs to be a bit more joined up - Reward and recognition hasn't been great but is getting better under the new CEO

Group Resourcing Partner

Thanks for such a positive review, it sounds overall like you are enjoying your career with us as part of the team in QinetiQ. As you will see from other posts we are working hard on both employee engagement and also career pathways so hopefully you will start to see a difference in these areas too. Thanks for your balanced post and feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews