QinetiQ Group Employee Reviews about "middle management"

Updated Jan 18, 2021

Found 18 of over 405 reviews

3.9
QinetiQ Group CEO Steve Wadey
Steve Wadey
Pros
  • "Interesting work, clever people (without big heads(in 43 reviews)

• "Good range of benefits with flexible working generally available with line manager approval(in 39 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Bad middle management during covid(in 27 reviews)

• "Some senior management or 'leaders' operate completely separately from the Subject Matter Experts (SME's) on the shop floor(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "middle management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place pre-covid

Sep 16, 2020 - Systems Engineer in Portsmouth, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance, great people, exciting work

Cons

Bad middle management during covid. Pay lower than going rate

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Right top level direction let down by journeymen middle management

Jan 18, 2021 - Team Lead in Salisbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO is clear in his vision for the company

Cons

Superficial middle management and poor at implementing a fair reward policy

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

More work needed to realise the vision

Jun 9, 2019 - Group Leader in Farnborough, London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Knowledgable and friendly colleagues, flexible working, variety of interesting meaningful work, strategy for growth investment in facilities and modernisation. Good set of values, mission and vision. Great future growth potential. Generally good work life balance and supportive of staff welfare and safety.

Cons

Decision making slow and bureaucratic. Constant changes to processes. Supposedly empowered middle management but subject to micromanagement and interference. Poor quality resourcing data on which to base decisions. Risk of staff overwork to meet delivery. Arbitrary decisions on staff performance ratings in some cases. Frustrating time recording and expenses systems.

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you. We greatly value your opinions, and the balance of your particular comments. Further, thank you for acknowledging that we are working on these important matters

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good work life balance, increasing strain on time and budgets

Jun 3, 2019 - Team Leader in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work, good people, senior leadership moving in right direction

Cons

Overcrowded middle management dysfunctional and slow.

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your comments and you commitment to our organisation and we have recognised the importance of effective middle management and the company is investing quite heavily to develop and empower to enable the company growth. It is great that you continue to find the work interesting and are buying into the change and direction that the senior leadership team is moving

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Beware middle management

Mar 28, 2019 - Technical in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work, customers are usually good to work with. The people on the ground and the SME's are great to work with, customer driven and pride in the job. Great work life balance. I feel the CEO means well, but is being either misinformed or misdirected.

Cons

Some levels across the company care more about saving money to look good than long term capability. Middle management do not live the company values. Poor change management without any thought or direction. Poor matrix management system. Current Aberporth site management is the worst during my long time in the company. Narrow minded, poor strategies, condescending to staff, borderline bullying. The site morale really is at an all time low, and the capability almost in tatters.

9 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your feedback relating to your personal experience within our organisation. We are really glad to hear about your positive experiences of the technically challenging work and strong team relationships. This is a theme that runs through the vast majority of the feedback that we receive from across the business and a key reason that attracts and motivates our staff. As you observe regarding work/life balance, we value – and are putting significant effort into – our wellbeing programme, which is part of the journey and transformation that we are undertaking. Over recent years we have implemented a major restructuring exercise, which has been critical in overcoming the challenges of a tough marketplace and growing our organisation. This has necessitated making cost savings in some areas, but also massive reinvestment in other capabilities. Some other feedback we have received on Matrix working has been positive, giving individuals opportunities to work on programmes that they otherwise may not have been able to. I would encourage you to discuss this with your Functional Manager or your Employee Engagement Group Rep to see how we can make this work better for you.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

QinetiQ

Nov 28, 2018 - Associate Engineer in Amesbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company strategy Flexible working Good culture in certain teams

Cons

Changes needed to meet strategy and culture improvement targets are slow Salaries are not competitive Good team culture is not in every team Red tape and process is unbelievably deep and can choke agility or innovation As with most large companies, middle management is often the single greatest blocker to any change or improvement, and internal politics rule Investment in any improvement has a massively bloated process to acquire, and absolutely no change will be authorised and invested in if you don't have absolute concrete proof that it will save the company money beyond a shadow of a doubt (so improvements that increase quality without demonstrable financial savings are doomed from the get-go)

1 person found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your feedback and your comments on flexible working, company strategies and team culture. We are aware of the points you raise and are addressing many of these issues through our current Transformation and Enabling Managers programmes. However we do appreciate there is more to do to address process simplifications, management development and to enable and reward our employees. We believe we have a great future and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your contribution during your tenure.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not for LGBTQ and Ethnic Minorities

Sep 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perceived research credentials within their sector of business. Not business and revenue prioritised research organisation.

Cons

This is a archetypical convoluted stiff upper lip middle-class white work environment, with no strategy or direction. Middle management is absolutely clueless and robotic with no concept of gender identity and appreciation of cultural diversity. Management behaviour is still in 1960s Christian white middle class mentality. There is no thought leadership no accountability or sense of work pride and definitely no opportunity if you are ambitious, driven career focused individual the challenge is greater if you are LGBTQ or ethnic minority. Not a humane organisation.

4 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

We are so disheartened to hear your experience at working in QinetiQ. Obviously that is your experience which we respect, but we believe that this is not representative of us as an organisations at large. We do have a long history but have always believed in our value of integrity and hope that employees believe they are treated fairly as a person whatever their personal background. We are sorry that you have had such a difficult time in this regard. Thank you for your feedback it will be reflected upon.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A company still trying to find its place in the Defence Industry

Jun 6, 2018 - Engineer in Salisbury, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, good people (in general), benefits better than average and work that can be interesting.

Cons

Where to start? Very limited scope for career advancement, but then in a contracting market perhaps not that surprising. Working conditions that vary between good, Farnborough, to ‘third world’ Boscombe Down. Mixed messages from the top; statements that the company is doing well followed shortly thereafter by the need to ‘balance skills with growth’; that is redundancies. Incompetent middle management where the Peter principal is rife: how can the people who ‘managed’ the company to where it is today be charged with its transformation and growth ? Impenetrable, onerous and overly complex processes which impede getting anything done. Arrogant know-it-all attitude with no appreciation of what the real world is all about. Certain groups that operate with a ‘Lord of the flies’ mentality where knowledge is power and newcomers are to be crushed... And finally a totally useless and uncaring HR department. We know it’s all about protecting the company, but why do you have to make it so obvious?

6 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thanks for such candid comments and feedback! You certainly give some food for thought. When we communicate we do not aim to patronise and try to get a balance between being both candid and pragmatic. Any change that is happening does rely on engaging and inspiring leaders at all levels to take the company forward. You sound like you are passionate about making change happen in the business and it would be great for you to be involved in the culture workshops that will be running over the next few months. Hope to see you there. Thanks again for posting.

9. 1.0

No Mission or Vision

Jun 12, 2018 - Senior Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees at the sharp end are committed and are very competent. Varied and interesting work. Good customer relations.

Cons

4 Redundancies programmes already this year. Either the higher and middle management do not know what they are doing or they are streamlining ready to sale, probably to BAE. Middle management do not make decisions and do not take responsibility, If they worked in a Pub they probably could not pour a pint of beer.

3 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We acknowledge that there have been some difficult decisions made and these have had a significant impact on individuals affected by redundancy programmes. As a result of these changes we have now moved into a period of sustained financial growth which is benefitting our employees. We understand your views around middle management and our new on-line engagement tool is providing managers with direct and timely feedback on issues of concern to employees. Additionally our manager development programme is upskilling and empowering our managers to better lead our people.

10. 2.0

No Transparency

Mar 11, 2018 - Manager in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Interesting work 2, Good teamwork at the sharp end 3. Friendly within some sectors of the company

Cons

1. No transparency, Under the redundancy scenario 2018 February Job Offers removed from site, Two post have been offered on Friday that were not published on QinetiQ site therefore not offering a level playing field to all and nepotism obviously being practice by some line managers. 2. Within QinetiQ,s redundancy agreement with the unions in 2010 it is stated that notice will be 12 weeks and Redundancy payments will be a maximum of 15 Month's money or £90000. The Redundancy team have stated that if the employee is entitled to 15 Month's redundancy payment then the12 weeks notice will be paid in the 15 Month's money and in virtual time some employees have only received 1 days notice. 2, Middle Management promoted on qualifications and not capability. 3. Middle Managers are remote from the engineers and trial teams. 4. Promotion done mostly on friend basis only. 5. Outdated equipment.

4 people found this review helpful

Group Resourcing Partner

Thanks for such a detailed post, it is really helpful to us to understand how you are feeing regarding the redundancy that we had earlier in the year. We worked very hard with the Employee Engagement group to ensure there was transparency and also that decisions were made fairly. I am sorry that that hasn't been your perception. These are always difficult situations and we try very hard and work with the best of intentions to ensure that these are situations are dealt with fairly and we would never aim to take advantage of any employee. Hopefully you can join us at the culture workshops over the coming months to share your experience and thoughts. Thanks again for posting it is appreciated.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews