REED Employee Reviews about "dress code"

Updated 12 May 2020

4.1
Pros
Cons
  • "There is still a uniform dress code which is a little out dated, this has been modernised over the years but still old fashioned for 2020(in 63 reviews)

• "The only thing would be flexible working but I know that this is something that is being introduced(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "dress code"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Moving in to my fourth year and still loving it!"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Consultant in London, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent training - I’ve completed the full essential recruitment skills training and am now moving on to Management Academy, it’s great to work for a company that invests so much into consultants personal development. Investing in digitalisation, I have a Microsoft surface go, the ability to work anywhere at anytime (necessary if you want to be a top billing consultant!) access to emails on my mobile, access to Microsoft teams on go enabling me to work seamlessly at all times. We all have two screens and good systems too. State of the art recruitment systems with access to a huge pool of candidates. Reeds back office is second to none, we have a screening team, payroll team, credit control team, legal team, marketing team, product team, IT team etc. I work with great people. I have made friends for life. We have regular fun social events across our offices. We have access to good benefits. I’ve recently qualified for a new scheme which gives senior consultants access to work remotely one day per week, or gives them access to advanced sales training to coaching training. We have sabbaticals for long service too! We have a clear progression plan and clear routes into management if you want it. Reed is a family run business with ethical values. We have a purpose and I genuinely believe we do improve people’s lives through work!

Cons

Relax the dress code - It would be nice to wear more colourful clothes to work occasionally

REED2020-03-04

March 6, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your great review and we're excited to see the benefits unfold from the investment into our Digital Workplace programme!

2. ""Find a job you enjoy doing and you'll never work a day in your life""

4.0
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at REED part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been with Reed for over 7 years now, I have always been given opportunities to develop my skill set and I feel that my manager values my opinion. Training and development is strong and although a bit slow and somewhat behind when compared to other similar companies, I have noticed significant improvements in the last few years both with their focus on employee retention and image overall, they clearly care!

Cons

The dress code when working in an office is quite archaic although worse for the men as they all have to wear the same ties which I'd find embarrassing if I was a guy and on a client meeting with another bloke - You shouldn't need to check which tie your colleague is wearing that day so you don't turn up like a pair of matching numptys! I understand that the bonus scheme is competitive for billing roles but I work in a support function and there is nothing for us, a target driven reward for doing your job well would be appreciated as the basic salary levels are certainly not any higher when you compare them to similar jobs with other companies. Staff turn over is reasonably high in central support functions too which I suppose is another con and would perhaps be helped by the introduction of the above point?

REED2020-05-12

May 20, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your positive review. We have worked hard to highlight and communicate the many great things about working for REED and so it's pleasing that you can see this. It's easy to lose sight of these things when we're all busy working hard. I will share your thoughts internally.

3. "Teamwork / Communication"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I absolutely love working for REED. Not only am I able to achieve my very best, I am supported consistently, not only by my manager and team but also other managers within the office. Everyone works together. I have been offered promotions, sales prizes, extra bonuses & extra holiday since I started based on my performance. It’s nice to know that you are recognised and appreciated for your hard work. Training opportunities at REED is also really good. It’s been an incredibly difficult time recently at REED as we have all been hit by the Coronavirus outbreak. We have all adapted enormously in our roles as we know them, but are stronger than ever. We have, unfortunately lost members of our recruitment family recently due to the current economic climate, but we have all been informed of the reasons behind this and kept in the loop every step of the way by our management teams. Further to this our Global MD has also kept everyone at REED updated regularly with the current changes and adaptions happening within the company too. This shows key communication can be at such difficult times.

Cons

Sometimes it feels that the more we work/harder we work, the more unrealistic our targets/expectations become. Flexi working would be beneficial, not just to people who are on particular schemes. Perhaps the dress code policy could be relaxed further, as long as we all look smart, I don't think we should be stuck to certain colours. Some technology can be enhanced, sometimes we are a little behind with all of this!

REED2020-04-08

April 27, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive review and detailed feedback. I will share this internally. You'll probably be aware that we are rolling out our digital workplace (DWP) which will enhance the technology and make all of our jobs easier.

4. "Excellent, patient employer"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at REED full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since I started a month ago it has been an entirely positive experience. It is one of the best jobs I've ever had because of the trust they give you from the beginning even though you're still learning and the patience exhibited. They carefully build up all the tools you need to succeed and give you support when you need it, while also letting you stand on your own two feet to test yourself. Couldn't recommend it more.

Cons

The application process was a bit excessive and 6pm is quite late to punch out. The dress code is business formal (I actually quite like it) but they provide you with a very limited number of company ties, which may not be your cup of tea. Currently you have to eat lunch at your desk in my office.

REED2020-02-19

February 24, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and such a positive one at that. Its great to hear that you'd recommend working here to others, please dont forget to check out the bounty policy. I will pass on your feedback in regards the ties.

5. "I've enjoyed my time, but I think there is a lot they could do better"

Current Employee - Graduate in Manchester, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New Office People - lots of friendly people in the office, and across the company Discount club Health benefits - Dental/optical and more! Good advancement for actual Recruiters I like how James Reed keeps an internal blog, it's a nice touch. It would be nice to hear off other senior staff like this.

Cons

I think the company is trailing behind other companies which is a shame. They are getting there, but everything is a bit slow. Long working hours (40+ a week) with fixed start and finish time, flexibility is only there on adhoc and down to your manager. Working from home is so bizarrely restricted as it's just not in the REED Culture, so only a handful of people have this ability. Still has a dress code, set colours etc. The company advertises great training...but this does not include support staff. I would of loved to have been offered the chance to do more courses and learned new things that would support my role, travel and meet people across the company, but there isn't a structure in place for this. There is a great structure for advancement for actual recruiters, CDF levels and targets and salary increases ect.... but for the support departments, they don't have the same benefits no bonus schemes, no obvious advancement routes, no training. And if any advancement does exist, it's based all in London/Northampton which is such a narrow view for a UK wide company, and recruitment of Graduates UK wide, especially giving technology these days. A digital workplace project is coming, with tablets etc, which is a good thing, but I don't think this will come with the flexible working and working from home people are hoping for, which is a shame and again behind a lot of companies these day. I'm slightly worried it will be encouraged to do more work in out of office hours, now you've been provided the tools to do so, as they did with the recruiter app, and having work emails on personal phones. I've always though it bizzare that REED doesn't provide their employees with work mobiles, considering the job, and the amount of out of office recruiters do. REED is not a bad company, I've learned a lot here, met some great people and enjoyed my time here. But I personally feel like I want to work for a company that's a front leader for Work/Life flexibility and technology, where staff are a bit more trusted and given the tools to manage their own time and work. Which is why after completing my Grad scheme I've decided to try somewhere else. REED is a good fit for some, but I think I'll thrive more somewhere else.

REED2020-02-27

March 6, 2020Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to detail your experience of working for REED and I'm sorry you don't feel that you can recommend it. We do appreciate you sharing your thoughts and I will share internally. Technology is a great enabler for all sorts of activities and, as you point out, it's a good thing that REED are investing in our Digital Workplace programme. All Co-Members do have access to personal development and apply for professional development funding as well as access to other training and development tools.

6. "Good company to work for :)"

Current Employee - Senior Team Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at REED part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great training, honest company, ethical approach to recruitment & promote collaboration.

Cons

Old fashioned dress code & not embracing modern ways of working (I.e remote).

REED2019-11-25

November 27, 2019Head of Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your positive feedback. REED are rolling out new technology over the next few months for all of RSR Co-Members which will fundamentally change the way we currently work and act as an enabler for better ways of working both flexibly and remotely. The technology won't replace a REED tie though :)

7. "A company full of opportunity"

Current Employee - Recruitment Manager in London, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a company which provides you with plenty of scope for growth in terms of personal development and career development. You realise just how professional it is from the moment you apply and deal with a really friendly and knowledgeable recruiter, fly through an impressive recruitment process and then receive training like you wouldn't believe in a beautiful country setting in the Cotswolds. It helps if you join the right office with the right manager as your team is so important to how much success you're likely to experience. I've found that if you throw yourself in and get involved, you get noticed for having a positive outlook even if you're not the best biller. It offers you a supportive environment working with people who are by and large just brilliant personalities. You'll always find one or two who aren't quite your cup of tea! The emphasis is about being professional but caring about what you do. The charitable feel is great and feels genuine. It's not as cut throat as other agencies but you do have to work hard. Flexible working is starting to appear and again, if you work for the right manager, you get out what you put in and trusted to just do the job.

Cons

The dress code is bizarre. Men are expected to wear suits and company ties and limited to black, blue, grey suits and white and blue shirts. Women are expected to wear selected colours but given the instruction of business wear. I don't understand what the difference is and why men are not just asked to wear business wear. It's a small thing but a big deal to lots of male colleagues as you sometimes feel a bit of a fool wearing a 'school tie'. It does fly in the face of being entrepreneurial and free thinking when you're dictated to about what to wear.

REED2019-10-24

October 24, 2019Head of Talent Acquistion

Thanks for sharing your feedback and giving such a positive review. REED aims to support our Co-Members throughout their career and it's great to hear that you clearly are enjoying it. I will share your feedback about the dress code with our HR team.

8. "Fantastic Employer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Permanents Consultant in Sunderland, North East England, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic company to work for with clear progression and a career development framework. Plus the opportunity to earn a lot of money!

Cons

The dress code is very corporate

REED2019-10-03

October 4, 2019Head of Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your great review.

9. "Debatable - Good setup, bad commission structure"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Team Leader in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at REED full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge candidate database, easy to do BD, very structured business. Central office locations.

Cons

Base pay is low regardless of the role. Unfortunately, they do not like to pay commission and find ways to constantly push you harder. There are few high earners at Reed. I found that once you build your desk they find reasons to move those clients to another consultant and so you are constantly building your desk, this happened on a regular basis. Dress code is dated. Company does not promote diversity, there is a clear and obvious racial divide between branches. ie. Stratford vs central... huge difference!

REED2019-10-17

October 24, 2019Head of Talent Acquistion

Thanks for leaving your review. I am very concerned at your comments about diversity and I will share your feedback with HR. It would be useful to understand more details in order to investigate this further. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly matt.heather@reedglobal.com if you have further information to share.

10. "People & Progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at REED full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Despite being a large company it maintains the feeling of family owned business, and the people at REED really are one of the best things about working here. Great career aspirations and you are fully supported to develop both personally and professionally; whatever role you may be in. I have had five promotions since I started working at REED five years ago (one a year!) and this year received funding to complete an external qualification relevant to my role. Huge range of benefits available including: - paid sabbaticals - generous health cash plan which pays for dental, optical, physio appointments etc - personal development fund - enhanced maternity / paternity pay I also really admire all of the charity work that REED does, which really sets it apart from other recruitment companies.

Cons

Dress code could do with being relaxed / removed for non client facing departments. However not the end of the world.

REED2019-09-06

September 30, 2019Head of Talent Acquistion

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and highlight many of the great things about working for REED.

Found 36 reviews