Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rackspace CEO Joe Eazor
Joe Eazor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of work life balance for those in 24/7 roles" (in 34 reviews)

• "Incompetent middle-management pits employeees against one another as opposed to fixing problems" (in 64 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Customer Obsessed and Incredible People"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vision is unchanged: to be recognized as a world-class service company
    Team-based Culture that promotes ownership
    Pushes decision making to those working daily with customers
    Leaders who are regularly thinking about improving customer experience and driving employee engagement
    Opportunity for those willing to put in the work

Cons

Culture can seem 'wide-open' which doesn't work for those wanting very clear, scripted, organized work environment
    Can lead to change fatigue if communication is unclear

Advice to Management

Keep learning and finding ways to improve the customer experience (listen to those supporting customers each day!)
    Continue ramping up the communications to employees

17 Sep 2018 – Employee Experience Analyst

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and so is your service to the company. Thank you for being a promoter of Rackspace!

2. "Great place and great people"

Current Employee - Senior Facilities Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Facilities Manager in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dedicated leadership, great culture, fantastic offices, sense of shared goals

Cons

None so far its a great place to work

10 Sep 2018 – Employee Experience Analyst

Thank you for your feedback, Racker!

"Mix bag"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generous holiday allowance.

Cons

Lack of transparency and openness. Senior management doesn’t listen to employees’ concerns.

4. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture - fun, engaging and the Racker values are brilliant in helping managers to create dynamism in culture.

Benefits - not often mentioned in these reviews but the benefits are fantastic!

Earning potential - if you've got a good head on you, the world is your oyster at Rackspace! You have to put in the time and effort, but if you do the potential rewards are amazing.

People - a lot of intelligent, clever and talented people are employed at Rackspace which adds to the already vibrant culture.

Training - one of the best induction programs I've ever seen.

Senior Management - our leaders are visible, approachable and engaging. The EMEA MD is a particular highlight, sitting amongst the teams and he remembers everyone's name and regularly asks how your day is going. EMEA VP of Sales is a strong, experienced leader and encourages and supports his management team well.

Recognition - lots of opportunities for Rackers to be recognised and their values and contribution highlighted to the business.

Competitive Advantage - I don't feel like we ever lose out against a competitor on anything other than price, where the other company significantly undercuts us. That really helps to inspire confidence in the workforce of our value, but the aggressive nature of the market remains a key challenge.

Valuing the Customer - the vast majority of the workforce genuinely have the customer's satisfaction and best interests top of mind.

The Hard Rack - fantastic cafe staffed by the most wonderful people!

Development - lots of development opportunities for people with progression top of mind.

Cons

Location - the main UK office is based in Hayes; sometimes for recruitment purposes this is a challenge as good external candidates often prefer a central city location.

Future of the Business - clarity of mission a little unclear due to disruption to legacy business model caused by increasingly rapid adoption of the Cloud.

Performance Management - part of Rackspace' culture is to support and help the Rackers to do well, but sometimes this slows the process when you genuinely have a bad egg, or someone who is just not right for the business. It can therefore sometimes take too long to resolve these kind of challenges.

2 Jan 2019 – Global Talent Brand Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a detailed review for potential future Rackers. We pride ourselves on being a destination employer with an authentic culture powered by our people!

5. "Great company....growing pains"

Pros

Supportive management! Great workspace, lots of different tech offerings. Talented workforce

Cons

People get promoted by default. Lots of hires seem to know someone and come in with no experience at a higher level then theses with experience

Advice to Management

Keep hiring for talent but hire more experienced industry talent to train theses with out experience so you dont just get carbon cuts out each other. Lack of non Rackspace expereince is showing.

7 Jan 2019 – Global Talent Brand Manager

Hi Racker - so glad your management team is supportive. In regards to promotions, it is important to our talent strategy that we consider Rackers first when new roles open and that we promote from... More

6. "Great Company"

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Culture,
    People,
    Training,
    Exposure to leading technology

Cons

Monthly sales cycle can be difficult

3 Dec 2018 – Employee Experience Analyst

Thank you, Racker!

"Was a great place to work, but that's changing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before I joined Rackspace I had frequently heard of its reputation as a great place to work and this was confirmed by my early experience of working there. It had a vibrant and fun company culture and really seemed to value the technical employees who provided Rackspace's main product, it's Fanatical Support. The technical onboarding process that I went through during my probation was the best I had ever had and thoroughly prepared me for my day-to-day job of supporting customers. There are very well developed processes, systems and documentation supporting technical teams in carrying out their jobs.

Cons

Over the last year and half, the company has been going through a "globalisation" process to merge it's formerly separate US and International support functions. One unfortunate aspect of this seems to be a move towards adopting "call centre" style practices to manage the support teams. Support techs now have their daily schedules dictated by call centre scheduling software and are required to use a "cloud-based contact center service" which lacks most of the features of the previous phone system and is frustrating and cumbersome to use. This management style may be suitable for the front-line teams, but treating the skilled and experienced technical professionals in the 2nd and 3rd line teams like drones doesn't go down well. The UK-based support teams have lost many staff this year due to these changes, but the senior leadership doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to reduce your skilled technical staff to mindless call-centre drones.

27 Nov 2018 – Global Talent Brand Manager

Our frontline support teams and the technical escalation teams that support them are some of the most well respected people at Rackspace and truly embody the voice of the customer. Rackspace has gone... More

8. "Ignore the bitter failed salespersons reviews!!!!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Hayes, England
    Current Employee - Business Development in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed attitude to everything.
    No cut throat sales environment where you’re out in 3 months. People can underperform for a year here and are helped and encouraged.
    Great culture
    Opportunity to make life changing money with 70%+ of sales guys hitting target every month
    Huge product portfolio to sell

The negative reviews you see on here are from lazy, useless sales people, that shouldn’t be in sales. Honestly, the amount of awful entitled fools I’ve seen be employed in the last 2 years, then moan and leave when opportunity doesn’t land straight in their lap, is unbelievable! If you are smart and work hard you’ll make silly money here.

There’s a real shortage of good sales people at the moment, we should know. Half of the idiots have come through Rackspace. The same people who hop jobs every 12 months....

Cons

Some may say office location not being in London. But not an issue personally.

29 Oct 2018 – Global Talent Brand Manager

Hi Racker - we are happy that you have had a challenging, yet rewarding experience within sales. While we appreciate your intent with this review, we treat all feedback given on Glassdoor with equal... More

"Great people and very nice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere in the office and some great technically and customer focused people work there.

Cons

Management cares more about statistics.

5 Nov 2018 – Employee Experience Analyst

Thank you for your review.

"BDC London - Sales"

Current Employee - BDC Sales London in London, England
    Current Employee - BDC Sales London in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facilities onsite
    Regular meetings
    Decent parties

Cons

Sadly I am in the process of interviewing elsewhere, after 4 years the time has certainly come to seek a better environment.
    It's a real shame but the work life balance is incredibly poor, successful sales people here I've seen included myself are rewarded for longevity. The best sales people wouldn't last 5 minutes in other places as they go missing every few days with "meetings".... literally accounts are passed around and given to whom managers like the most.

I've been here for some time and relinquished accounts to newbies however on advice from management "give the churn accounts away"

It's started to become an odd culture and the real earners are the ones whose noses are brown by the end of the day.

Advice to Management

None

27 Nov 2018 – Global Talent Brand Manager

Hi Racker - we're disappointed to hear you are looking elsewhere and sincerely hope you have had an opportunity to chat with an HR partner or attend a Racker Chat to voice your concerns. Rackspace... More