Rackspace Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 Dec 2019

3.3
Rackspace CEO Kevin Jones
Kevin Jones
Pros
  • "Frontline Rackers are like family(in 135 reviews)

• "Great Culture and perks and interesting work(in 127 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some challenges with silos, but most Rackers genuinely want to help each other(in 121 reviews)

• "Too many middle management tiers(in 69 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Hayes, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team! Solution Architecture leadership genuinely care about individuals and developing their careers and providing career development opportunities. Pay and benefits are good. Campus, canteen, parking and facilities are of a high standard, which more than makes up for the location. Free breakfast and ad-hoc free lunches. Racker culture!

Cons

Quality of leadership varies across the organisation. Some challenges with silos, but most Rackers genuinely want to help each other. No different in these respects to any large organisation.

Advice to Management

Accelerate product development to meet the continually changing needs of customers.

Rackspace2019-09-05
  2. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, fantastic people, great office and good employee benefits

Cons

I have to work in Hayes

Advice to Management

An inspiring environment to work in with a great culture

Rackspace2019-12-05
  3. "Solid mission, great place to work, challenging but progressive"

Current Employee - AWS Lead Infrastructure Engineer in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company mission is sound, office is a fun and lively place to work, lots of autonomy to work how we want, focusing on improving the customer experience and personally training up on new technologies

Cons

Starting to lag behind when supporting latest and greatest services (especially on Public Cloud). Frequent management changes at the top which leaves a disconnected feeling with the troops on the ground. Some of the unique culture has given way to a more mature approach, but we're still settling into that with lots of "start-up gremlins" in the cupboard!

Advice to Management

Keep a clear direction front of our minds, and how each of are able to and are tracking against this. Don't lose the magic of Rackspace as that's when the employee's give their best!

Rackspace2019-12-04
  4. "Specialist Solutions Architecture - Graduate Programme"

Current Employee - Specialist Solutions Architect - Graduate Programmer in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rackspace is an organisation that really pushes your professional and personal development. Since joining Rackspace I have had the chance to work with an get an understanding of the business as a whole (First Line Response, AWS Support, Azure Support, and GCP support teams) Onboarding, Professional Services, Solutions Architecture. Prior to joining Rackspace, we spent 3 months in Manchester training with QA... Consulting learning cloud technologies. I have spent hours on non-technical training and technical training (Sessions every Friday dedicated to technical training from internal colleagues and external partners). I have been with Rackspace for a year now and with their support, I have achieved 2 GCP certifications and looking to obtain my third certification (AWS Solutions Architect - Associate) before the end of the year. Moving away from training an development this was this first graduate scheme Rackspace put ran in this space (Solutions Architecture and Global Technical Support). It has been an invaluable experience working on solutions for SMB customers all the way up to Enterprise customers. I have been exposed to working on AWS and GCP so far with future prospects on spending some time in Azure, before choosing where I would like to take my career. Even though the Grad Scheme was focused on 2 main job roles, directors and managers have been open and transparent in helping us get into a job role we enjoy even if that means moving into different departments and teams. We have weekly catch ups with mentors and managers which help keep us on track and give us advice and guidance. I have felt no micromanagement since being here I have goals for the year and it is up to me to meet them with mid and end of year reviews. As a Muslim, we are catered for at all events and fun budgets, as are all other faiths and beliefs If you want to join a company that makes you feel like you are really part of it and works with great customers then Rackspace is the place for you.

Cons

I would like to see the graduate scheme change a bit for the next one exposing those going into solutions architecture to more hands-on training first before moving into creating customer solutions. Management has made it clear they want us heavily involved in any future graduate schemes. Sometimes to go from graduate to solutions architect can be a struggle but you have endless support around you. Rackspace... is always changing, which for some can be Con, but in this industry, I can only see that as a Pro. You will need great restraint to stay away from all the food that is always around.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Rackspace2019-12-04
  5. "Indeed a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great working environment, talent nurturing, diversity ridden culture. Lots of volunteering opportunities and career progression. Training/Getting Certified is not only encouraged/sponsored, it's also part of most technical people's KPI's.

Cons

Like any other great company, money shouldn't be your sole motivator, it's not exactly a "con" for me since it means people who are here are for the right reasons, but fair enough to say that salary is average or below. Lots of other benefits, though.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive, don't be tempted by quick profits or any other short-term gains.

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Culture Good Management You will get to work with lot of great people and great customer interactions

Cons

Benefits not as before Company performing relatively slow compared to past

Rackspace2019-12-04
  7. "Great Team - Great Management"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues, many benefits, team outings/activities every 3 months, reasonable wages. Managers are understanding and very professional. One of the best places I have ever worked for. Breakfast available everyday, paid lunch for everyone on Thursdays, and drinks on Friday evenings. (may vary on location) Relaxed atmosphere. Potential promotions within first and second year. Wage increase on personal... performance. Yearly bonus when we meet our objectives.

Cons

I have had no negative experience in the last 14 months at this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work, anyone that has the chance to work with you is fortunate.

Rackspace2019-12-02
  8. "Upbeat Culture"

Former Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company to work for, lots of positive hard working people who care and are very knowledgeable.

Cons

Being on call, rota, working (Windows patching) can really eat into the family time.

Advice to Management

None

Rackspace2019-11-27
  9. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in London, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people make it magic

Cons

Of late, short term financial planning Windows

Rackspace2019-11-23
  10. "Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Storage Engineer in Hayes, England

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Rackspace for 4 years. Rackspace has a great and diverse culture, everyone is friendly and approachable right up to senior management and board level and they care about their people's progression. Every year I received a pay rise and training and development.

Cons

Nothing to write all is good.

Advice to Management

Keep being great and do what you do.

Rackspace2019-11-19