Rain Communications Reviews

1 Rating
  1. "Incredible experience"

Former Employee - Practice Director in London, England

I worked at Rain Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent guidance from senior team Great family spirit in the team Exceptional client mix and campaign opportunities to work on Learnt a raft of skills in six years

Cons

Fast pace - not fit for all but worked and got the best out of me

Continue reading
  2. "Appauling and utterly disgraceful"

I worked at Rain Communications full-time

Pros

There is nothing that makes this hell hole worth while staying in. The senior team then a blind eye to how appaulingly the junior team are treated.

Cons

Interedtingly, my negative post has been deleted four times since trying to write one on departure. Perhaps this is because Rain are trying to convince the remainder of the poor impressionable hopefuls that there is something in this for them. In all honesty , this was a disasterous year and a half. Having moved on to a wonderful new agency, the utterly appaulling management at Rain is more blatantly obvious than ever. Embaressjng too that I genuinely believed this is what the professional world consisted of- running around after power-hungry seniors in an effort to get on their right side- which I later found out to be unattainable.

Continue reading

3. "Hierarchy and Unpleasant working environment"

I worked at Rain Communications full-time

Pros

Develop quickly due to long hours and being made to juggle client priorities at a junior level.

Cons

Unpleasant atmosphere in the office. Hierarchy with the Directors and CEO meaning anyone below is made to feel insignificant and out of place. On top of an unrealistic workload you will also be made to do PA style jobs for the Directors and CEO which are not in job description.

4. "Hideous!"

I worked at Rain Communications full-time

Pros

What makes me laugh is the number of talented PRs who were absolutely ripped to shreds at this agency who are now flying - many running their own agencies!!! The place will absolutely drain the confidence out of even the most intelligent, willing and able. All the negative reviews I have read are 100% spot on (the positive ones - no idea how much they are being paid!!) MD is a bully. She's the reason the word bully exists. Absolutely disgusting the way she treats people. And I've seen her shriek across the room at juniors and reduce many to tears (on a regular basis)

Cons

Truly toxic agency run by a bully Sweatshop

5. "Great first PR job"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Rain Communications full-time

Pros

I worked at Rain for around three years, I started right at the bottom with very little PR experience and worked my way up to Junior Account Manager, with responsibility for clients, teams and budgets. I worked hard and got a lot back - I was supported by my team and felt that Delia, the MD really invested in you. There's a great roster of clients, which means you can hone your skills in consumer or corporate PR. I started off working across a range of clients and ended up focusing on Corporate PR. There's a really fun side to Rain as well, I met some great friends, had lots of fun at journalist events and at the bar at the end of the week. The Christmas parties were legendary! My time at Rain gave me an excellent grounding in PR and has been a great springboard, which has helped me to go on to very high profile national in-house roles. I now lead all Corporate PR in-house for a household name.

Cons

You do have to work hard and put in the hours - but show me a decent job in PR where this isn't the case!! It can be competitive, but if you're willing to work for it, you can get great experience, exposure to national campaigns and fantastic clients.

6. "Amazing work and great hands-on learning experience"

in London, England

I worked at Rain Communications

Pros

I worked at Rain for five years and it has been an amazing springboard for my career, not only as a PR consultant but also as a businesswoman. I worked on big clients and exciting projects right from the start (as an Account Exec with no previous PR experience) and was given daily hands-on training and guidance. I loved it. Rain has deep relationships with its clients and contacts which results in really ambitious and creative campaigns of which you can feel really proud (i still talk about them!) and you genuinely feel part of the daily news agenda.

Cons

It's a fast-paced and high accountability environment so perhaps doesn't suit people who prefer to coast along or hide under others coat-tails. It also helps if you have a proper interest in the mechanics of great comms, journalism and PR as you'll get to know the industry deeply.

"I wish it was possible to give a no star rating"

1.0

I worked at Rain Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

The friends you make- because going through a job like that together creates a serious bond. No job will ever seem as bad.

Cons

Where do I start...the place is a sweatshop. Management is unsupportive, unreasonable and demanding. The CEO is an unsympathetic, horrible person. Rain has a horrific reputation with media, which has even been documented in the press because the senior management bully you into calling them repeatedly. There is a seriously high turnover with very few people staying through their probation.

"Awful"

I worked at Rain Communications full-time

Pros

Made good contacts and met *some* great people whilst working there. Progression is fast in calendar days, except time passes like an eternity because it is so hideous being there.

Cons

Also met some truly awful people! Extremely high staff turnover as a result of bullyish, heirarchical work culture. You spend 30% of your time trying to train the latest newbie up before they leave and you have to start again. Some of the 'tactics' they drum in to you as a junior are frankly appalling (call the journalist to ask if received a press release. Call again to ask if using it. Call again to ask when). The evening standard even printed a note from the editor specifically asking this agency to stop bombarding them. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what will. Oh and expect to fetch the MD's dry cleaning, shoes from the cobblers, and children from school. I'm not kidding. Never had any formal cipr / prca training. Learnt all of my 'best practice' upon leaving. There are far better places to cut your teeth than here.

9. "Recommend for ambitious PRs"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in London, England

I worked at Rain Communications for more than 3 years

Pros

I started my career in PR at Rain and was welcomed back as a freelancer a couple of years later - not many companies do that. Working on large and smaller accounts at Rain gave me an invaluable insight into how a diverse range of companies operate as well as providing me with experience in client handling and management. I was given a considerable amount of responsibility from day one and learnt a great deal about PR during my three years working there. I feel fortunate to have made life long friendships at Rain and am still in touch with many of my ex-colleagues.

Cons

You must be a strong multi-tasker to work at a fast paced agency like Rain. If you struggle balancing tasks and prioritising your work then you may find it challenging.

10. "An unforgettable experience - highly recommends a career at Rain"

I worked at Rain Communications

Pros

I started at Rain as an Account Executive and worked my way up to Junior Account Manager over the space of three and a half years. Rain was a brilliant place to kick start my career in PR and the experience I gained along the way was invaluable - it has ultimately helped shape my career. I felt very supported as an employee, especially during busy campaigns and during key career progression milestones. The company is fast paced and you need to be prepared for hard work however you're always rewarded. It also makes the job more exciting and the day go quickly. Another pro is that I made lifelong friends at Rain, which says a lot considering I left the company over three years ago.

Cons

Hours can be long but only during busy campaigns and you are ultimately always strongly rewarded for putting in the hard work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 English Reviews