Rainmaker Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Bill Colbourne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best at what they do"

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time

Pros

A lot of skills and ideas I use in my job today I can trace back to my time Rainmaker. The confidence to pick up the phone to anyone no matter how senior for one. Over the last five years, working in new business, we’ve kept in touch and our paths have crossed a few times at different agencies I’ve worked. they’re probably the best at what they do.

Cons

I look back on my time fondly, but it wasn’t the easiest job I’ve had. Standards were high and not long out of uni it was a bit of a shock to the system!

"Business Development Account Executive"

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time

Pros

Great People, Great Atmosphere to work in

Cons

Dressed Up version of cold calling, they encourage you to carry out research which is interesting but the realities of a sales mean its all target based.

3. "Work Experience"

Pros

Friendly Environment
    Great Experience
    Gained important skills

Cons

Unpaid - difficult when in London!

4. "Account Exec - Not The Easiest Start"

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Teaches you the basic skills and mentality required to be successful in new business, I was subsequently stunned when agency side at the lack of mental toughness and rigour that most agency new business people have, particularly when it comes to phone calls.

- Learn how to track a pipeline and gather info, develop resourcefulness and a few little tricks that will serve you well

- Chance for a pretty diverse experience in terms of end clients, you'll get a good introduction to a few different types of agency and the tactics specific to those industries, same goes for the industries you are targeting

- If you're starting out on your career in London, there are loads of young people Rainmaker and you will have a great laugh with them. Piling into the pub after work on a Friday has never been better before or since

- Good for your future network as you get to know loads of people who go on to have careers in the same industry as you, often leads to future opps down the line

Cons

- Two of the owners are never there and seem totally disengaged

- During my time there you really hit a progression brick wall

- The money is below industry standard for account executives

- Targets are inflexible and reflect an older model of business development

Advice to Management

Evolve the offering to deliver a model of business development that doesn't require such inflexible phone-to-meeting based targets

"Very numbers and sales driven culture"

I have been working at Rainmaker Consulting full-time

Pros

Very friendly people who are all generally very supportive

Cons

They place unrealistic targets on

"Telesales"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in London, England

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was a good atmosphere in the team. They put on occasional team events.

Cons

This is a glorified telesales job. Very clear hierarchy and no opportunities for promotion

"Excited for 2018"

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Rainmaker Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Right now, Rainmaker feels like an exciting place to be. Having worked here for over a year now, I do recognise a couple of the criticisms past employees have made on here, but they’re not an accurate reflection of what it’s like to work here now. Since the new MD took over at the end of last year, energy levels, the calibre of people and the results we’re delivering to clients have all seen a significant improvement and as a result, people are far more engaged and passionate about their work (myself included!).

Cons

Implementing new ways of doing things and driving up standards can be stressful at times, and not everyone is able to raise their game. We have parted ways with a few people I got on well with, but ultimately it’s been necessary.

Advice to Management

Keep going. People need to feel that things are constantly evolving and improving so let’s not take our foot off the gas. I’d also like to see some more music / cultural outings like the visit to The Globe.

"Shelf life - which I learnt all too late."

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic place to kick start a career in New Biz for a young, inexperienced AE. You learn so much so quickly, which is completely invaluable within the industry.
    - Exposure at any level to a wide variety of marketing services disciplines and opportunity to be involved on diverse campaigns. No day is the same.
    - Builds resilience. New Biz is a tough world and only few are cut out for it.
    - Easy to build a great social network, especially when I first joined. Real sense of community.

Cons

- You employ human beings. Treat them with respect. We are not cogs in a machine. There was little to no understanding / room for improvement, it was do or die and be castigated for not performing. Yes, it is a sales role, but sadly this was missold to a vast majority of new starters.
    - Unfair advantage to 'favourites' in the company. Give everybody the opportunity to shine and understand where people could improve rather that writing them off. When I first joined there was a much stronger sense of development and nurturing which has sadly been lost.
    - Little to no emotional / personal support, likely due to the fact there is no HR function. If you have issues to raise with your line manager, it will have to be TO your line manager.
    - Management is in total disarray. One week someone is in charge calling the shots, or there is a team in place to support on a professional level, the next week they don't exist and the roles have changed or disappeared. Roles are divvied up and then taken away. It's weird. And totally unsettling for people that join at any level.
    - Overselling job promotions just to keep staff, when in essence honest conversations should have been had about state of the business and future of certain roles.

Advice to Management

This has been a really difficult review, and in a way would have liked to have written two. The last 6 months of my career TOTALLY changed my view and opinion of the company - and so my advice if you want to take heed:
    - Nurture your staff. Love and support them. They are your brand and they are human. Who are you without a brand?
    - Reinstate a training level. This is invaluable and relieves other members of staff who shouldn't have to bear the burden. AEs need to know they have someone they can regularly talk to, rely on, use as a soundboard, and ultimately who is responsible for their development. I can't believe I'm saying this but a job is a two way street - we are not there to give you everything and receive nothing in return.
    - Be honest. I've seen too many members of staff, including myself, continually lied to - whether that be about responsibility, remuneration or the company itself. Liars live long in the memory and the more you are you deceitful to the next generation of staff (at any level), the more likely it is you'll be castigated in the long term. This industry talks, and it is spreading like wildfire.

"Business Development Executive"

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time

Pros

Driven, dedicated people - cool, happy place to work. Great place to get experience and a busy /lively atmosphere. really enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Training is very good at beginning but could use more later on.

Advice to Management

Give people the opportunity to shine earlier on.

"Account Executive"

I worked at Rainmaker Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Totally changed while I was there , to be honest wasn't great when joined but new MD an dseems a different place now. very focused, very ambitious - general feel is best at what they do.

Cons

work yoyou hard - moving up the ladder not as easy as told at intreview,

Advice to Management

nothing really.