Ralph Lauren Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Ralph Lauren CEO Patrice Louvet
Patrice Louvet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great brand & Positive direction!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand with a really positive business direction. Encouraging changes being made in the business to engage with employees, bring new ideas and ways of working in and to grow within International & European markets.

Cons

Being a legacy business with 50 years of history, means that some areas can be dated in ways of working and internal process. Really positive steps are being taken to improve this.

Advice to Management

Continue with delegating responsibility more. We're in the early stages of this change and it's important that we continue to drive these great improvements.

6 Jul 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback and for calling out the positive changes we are making to ensure we are at the top of our game! We appreciate your support of Ralph Lauren.

2. "Concerns over Conflict Resolution and potential abuse of power"

Current Employee - Stockroom Associate
    Current Employee - Stockroom Associate

I have been working at Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Goal driven with consistency to reach targets
    • Hard working environment

Cons

• Employee favouritism
    • Unnecessary disciplinary actions

Advice to Management

This is the advice section, I know but I'll also be using it to explain my dilemma.

It was a very busy working day and we had a big target to reach. I was working as fast as I could from one hour to the next in a standard 9 hour shift and near to the end of my shift while taking more stock to the shop floor I ended up chatting to one of my colleagues for literally, not figuratively, literally 30 seconds.

One of the higher members of management noticed this. It would have been one thing if he simply told me to stop talking and continue working, I wouldn't have an issue with that. However, right there on the shop floor for anyone who cared to see it he didn't hesitate to chew me out. He went overboard and lectured me and after he said his piece he ended it with "right? right?". He didn't need a response from me, it was a very simple concept, I shouldn't be chatting and just get back to work but he wanted me to acknowledge the scolding I got. I'm a 25 year old adult but he spoke to me like I was a misbehaving child.

I was visibly shaken and upset, which he erroneously, and I suspect deliberately, interpreted as "attitude" and my only response to him was "You could have handled that differently".

Despite my lack of composure he insisted we talk it out immediately, he wouldn't allow me any time to calm down and gather my thoughts.

I was escorted to one of the offices to talk it out and another member of staff kindly sat in to listen as she openly admitted to me that it would help keep things calm, as if to imply she knew what kind of approach he was going to take.

I didn't mince words with him, I politely albiet in a distressed tone, explained my problem to him: that while it was fair game I shouldn't be talking to a colleague for 30 seconds, he told me off so badly for it and I found it upsetting. 30 seconds is a negligible increment of time, especially when compared to hours and hours of consistent work.
    He could not have been more uncaring, instead of addressing what my real issue was he labelled anything I said as excuses, refused to acknowledge his behaviour and the distressing effect it had and essentially kept telling me off over those 30 seconds.

As if the above isn't bad enough, this is where things got very concerning. Seeing as he refused to acknowledge his unfair conduct, he did something that would be considered highly unprofessional: he suggested that I make a complaint, go over his head and in that same sentence he made implications that doing so wouldn't get me anywhere. This leads me to believe he knows his own position well enough that he can manipulate situations to his advantage, its the only way to explain why he would challenge me to make a complaint, it was like he asked for it.

So to summarise: a 30 second chat got me scolded and as if to be deliberately ironic lead to a 5 minute, pointless conversation.
    Now 5 minutes IS a waste of time which could have been avoided if he simply told me to keep working instead of unreasonably scolding me.
    His conduct and approach with me suggests that Conflict Resolution is NOT one of his priorities and the fact he was unwilling to acknowledge his unprofessional conduct and suggestion for me to make a complaint implies he has no problem with escalating conflicts.

From start to finish he had all the power and that situation could have gone any way but he chose to behave very ruthlessly.... over a 30 second chat. If I had to describe him in one word -- Spiteful.

Naturally I'm still feeling stressed over this but I also didn't want to escalate things so here I am making an anonymous complaint, being able to detail my problem knowing it will be seen is all I really need.

If I'm honest, I will be considering my employment options. While I currently have a good job, its not worth it If I have to constantly look over my shoulder wondering when I'm going to be troubled for another negligible waste of time. I'm only human, working like a machine is exhausting and a 30 second chat is sometimes the only respite you can get.

If my ordeal was to be used as a working standard, then literally everyone would be scolded every day, every hour and nothing would get done. As if to add insult to injury, while this was going on, the stock room was filled with people who waste time every chance they get especially when supervisors aren't present but no, my 30 second chat takes a priority scolding.

My advice? Assess and test the disciplinary standards of management and pinpoint troublemakers. There are those who are aware they exacerbate situations and have no sympathy to the effects or remorse for the outcome.

Additionally, provide a non - conflict means for associates to detail what they see as unfair conduct and or behaviour from their superiors to be handled by an impartial department for the purpose of Conflict Resolution.

19 Nov 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for leaving a review for Ralph Lauren. We strive to create an environment of respect for all employees and will be notifying the appropriate teams of your feedback.

3. "good place to work for anyone who wasnts to develop thair skills"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chester, England
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chester, England

I worked at Ralph Lauren (Less than a year)

Pros

Good development of staff and manegment

Cons

too many young staff (under 18 s)

14 Dec 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

The development of our people is highly valued at Ralph Lauren, we appreciate your review!

4. "Customer Experience Associate"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Bicester, England
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Associate in Bicester, England

I have been working at Ralph Lauren part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours (if contract available)

Cons

Company I worked for few years has not offered

Advice to Management

My advice would be to be more approachable and willing to help the employees

29 Nov 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review, we will be taking your feedback to the appropriate teams!

5. "Exciting times for Ralph Lauren"

Current Employee - CEA in London, England
    Current Employee - CEA in London, England

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time

Pros

Making significant positive change
    Empowered to make decisions
    Great friendly team
    Amazing benefits
    Strong values

Cons

None so far. Enjoyable working here.

Advice to Management

N/a

24 Oct 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review – "empowerment" is a magic word here at Ralph Lauren!

6. "Avoid."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bicester, England
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bicester, England

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount and friends and family vouchers.

Cons

Not enough staff. Expected to keep store tidy and serve customers when the store is so busy you can’t move. Always have to stay late to tidy. Always having shifts changed. Managers spend too much time telling you what to do and doo g nothing themselves. No uniform allowance.

Advice to Management

Start helping or allow enough staff to make the job achievable.

29 Nov 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at Ralph Lauren. Ensuring the consumer is at the center of everything we do is key, and we appreciate your review.

7. "My experience working at Ralph Lauren"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Ralph Lauren (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely employee discount, great care staff and enjoyable working environment

Cons

Can be quiet at points.

Advice to Management

Have a stricter timetable for an increased organisation

12 Oct 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of Ralph Lauren, we appreciate the feedback!

8. "Buyers admin assistant placement year review"

Former Employee - Buyer's Administrative Assistant in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of company benefits
    Breakfast mornings for free
    Contribute to charity work
    No strict dress code

Cons

Some members of management on certain departments are snappy and rude.
    Pay is not the best
    If you don’t get along with your manager there is little you can do to fix it - even after speaking to HR.

Advice to Management

Some management and staff members are incredible and helpful. Certain members of management on certain departments lack understanding and basic manners - very condescending, speak to staff lower than them patronisingly and with little respect. After months of dreading work and crying over my manager, I spoke directly to HR twice about my issues and they did nothing to help. Staff need more training on how to get the best out of employees and training on mental health.

24 Oct 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. At Ralph Lauren we strive to create an environment that supports respect and inclusion for all employees. We will be sharing your feedback with the appropriate teams.

9. "Store assistant"

I worked at Ralph Lauren part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Good company benefits for employees

Cons

Hard stressful work with little respect form customers

Advice to Management

Non

12 Oct 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! Retail certainly has its challenges at times, and we appreciate your feedback.

10. "Mixed thoughts"

I worked at Ralph Lauren part-time

Pros

Discount
    Friends in team
    Great training
    Fab stores and head office
    Lovely product

Cons

Long hours
    No real guidance
    Expectations are very high, but not fairly judged.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you’re above your team, work collaboratively and it would be an amazing place to work.

24 Sep 2018 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review. Here at Ralph Lauren, we aim to create a respectful, inclusive culture at all levels. We will share your feedback with the appropriate teams.