Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.5
John OReilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company)" (in 16 reviews)

• "The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management in particular Grosvenor leaders do not live the new values resulting in people leaving" (in 11 reviews)

• "structure benefits work life balance work flow" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Engaged and Entertained"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My work is interesting and I feel my output is related to the company's success
    My boss listens to me and explains when something is currently not workable or encourages me when it is
    The people are wonderful - I've yet to meet someone I didn't like. Its a real United Nations!
    The office is great and very convenient. It has free parking and access to both shops and greenspace. "Walking meetings" in the park are a fab idea.
    The company really goes out of its way to make staff feel valued. HQ is small enough to let you get to know most people but big enough to be dynamic.
    There is a lively charity scene if you want to get involved. I didn't expect a gaming company to be so caring towards its clientele.
    There are lots of 'lifers' here. Every celebration features folks who have been here for 20 years or more. Its definitely encouraging.

Cons

Sorry, really nothing to report!

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This is the best company I've worked for since 2000.

6 Oct 2017 – Chief Executive

Hi there,
    Thank you for such a positive and enthusiastic review - it is great to read. Having said that I think there is plenty more we can and will do to make Rank a great place to work. And I... More

2. "A brilliant place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Rank is the people and the values. It's a fun company to work for with lots to get involved in. I've always felt supported & felt comfortable to push myself further.

Cons

Debbie Downers who moan about everything - but you'll find them everywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring us all together as much as you can to improve morale.

8 Jun 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Hi there,

Thank you for such a positive review and for your advice. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy working with your fellow colleagues, we strive to build a supportive and inclusive... More

3. "Could be a great company, but ruined by the management and 'brown-nose' culture"

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met smart people while working in here, but they are not treated as they should and stuck doing pointless tasks instead of actually focusing on delivering great product.

Benefits are average, nothing special.

Cons

If you have passion and ambitions to progress in what you do, stay away. Looks nice on the outside, but is rotten from the inside.

- Management has no idea what they are doing and which direction they are going, constant restructuring and change of plans.
    - There is no consistency in what management is saying, promising and doing.
    - Constant political games and imitation of working process.
    - Company promotes STAR values which is nothing more than just words.
    - You can speak up freely, but nobody will listen / care about it.
    - No development opportunities unless you wish to please management by hiding true picture with nice reports and
    - Promotion of friends and hang-out buddies that have no relevant education or qualification for the role which results in a total mess in working process due to incompetence

Advice to Management

In short, talk less, do more:

- Focus on the customer, products you're building and internal atmosphere instead of pleasing seniors and developing 'brown-nose' culture.
    - If you're hiring talents with industry experience listen to their recommendations to prevent fails instead of ignoring them until it happens.

"Bad organisation and Management"

Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly members of staff that you work alongside (other champions, not higher management)

Cons

Not enough members of staff to cope with call volume. Part time workers not as valued, not given the same opportunities as full timers. Management not considerate of employees needs or mental health. Only wanting to fulfil there own needs. Management have a bad work ethic, come in late, leave early. Yet expect champions to be motivated to work there set hours be on time, come in early and go the extra mile when they don't show any motivation themselves. Higher management also bad mouth employees and then those words go around the office, so if you do work there, be prepared to hear negative comments about yourself. Very unprofessional.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with create a team culture which is supportive, hard working with a good sprinkling of fun. We have clever, energetic people, trying to do their very best. Great offices where the working environment is considered and where they try to meet everyone's needs

Cons

We work with people and like all people you will have those who do their share and those that do not. The company may sometimes take a softer line on those we perceive do not live the values than we would like.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to do the best you can and live the values , you are our role models.

11 Jun 2018 – Director of HR, Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to respond, we are always delighted to hear great feedback like yours about the team culture at our Support Office and that you are enjoying the working environment... More

6. "Good flexibility for Part-Time workers"

Former Employee - Poker Room Dealer in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Poker Room Dealer in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company quickly recognized I was adept in role I was applying for and gave me the job straight away, increasing my responsibility quicker than most others.

Th company also had great flexibility for their part-time workers, I was able to change my schedule regularly depending on my University and sport commitments.

Cons

Pay rates just below the market average.

Advice to Management

Pay employees a fraction more and you will end up with more qualified people to to the job- I ended up working with many people who struggled with the english language.

8 Jun 2018 – Head of Human Resources London & Support

Many thanks for your response, it’s good to see that you would recommend the company. Within Grosvenor, we are always looking at ways to support team members with flexible working - where possible... More

"Values"

Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local and easy to commute

Cons

Working ar Rank was one of the worst experiences of my life, i have never been made to feel so incompetent, i was a very confident outgoing person, but it all changed, the managers all stuck together talking constantly behind your back, i thought it was just happening to me until i saw it first hand happening to other colleagues as well it caused me so much stress i have found it hard to work. They talk about values, what values do they show colleagues.

Advice to Management

Look at what your managers are doing, the way they are treating new collegues, just because they have been there a long time does not mean they are playing by the book, its called bullying! Values are there for a reason, put them into practice starting with employees.

15 Jun 2018 – Director Of Treasury and Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I note all your points regarding longer serving employees - its not clear from your review where in the business you were based - retail... More

"Too many political games at Support Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southend-on-Sea, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southend-on-Sea, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great colleagues at Support Office and in the Bingos and Casinos

Cons

If you don't suck up to some of the HR Directors then your job is not safe, don't want to name names but initials will do BR
    Nearly every department has their own agenda and don't work well with other teams

Advice to Management

Maybe your HR team are not as people focused as they should be
    Listen to your people at Operational Level, don't just tell them what to do

26 Apr 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your feedback - it is always good to hear positive comments regarding colleagues in our support office and clubs.

That said, I would like to address your comment regarding our HR... More

"Just another call centre"

Current Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time

Pros

Pays better than any other call centre in Sheffield. Bonus relatively easy to achieve. That’s about it for the positives.

Cons

No work life balance. Shifts are crap.
    Policies constantly change.
    Communication between departments is none existent.
    If your face fits you’ll do great. Some people can do no wrong. Turn up when they want do absolute minimum and still get opportunities not offered to genuine people who work hard.
    Claim not to be another call centre but they are.
    Waste money on pointless crap to make the office look trendy then tell staff they can’t afford to hire people.
    Skeleton staff at weekends when it’s busier.
    Most calls are angry customers cause nothing works
    Staff are told they cost money and business interested in profit
    Say they want to help you develop but nothing comes of it

Advice to Management

Stop empty promises

7 Jun 2018 – Communications Advisor

It is disappointing to learn that your experience with the Rank Group in Sheffield hasn’t lived up to your expectations.

The whole team in Sheffield have worked very hard to create an exciting and... More

"Do not recommend!"

I worked at Rank Group part-time

Pros

New building, Spacious free tea and coffee.

Cons

Terrible management, people are spoken down to. 2 weeks training was a waste of time doesnt help on floor. You are left alone on very first day and ignored and avoided. The people who seem welcoming and positive when you start are the one's who do not want to know once you start. I left the job after 3 weeks as the pressure and attitude of management was shocking!

Advice to Management

Please do not treat your staff as children in school. Your team leaders have no people skills and do not know how to communicate with staff. I have worked in customer service for 13 years and never had an issue like this in any other job.

7 Jun 2018 – Communications Advisor

We are disappointed that your experience with the Rank Group was not what it could have been, we take pride in trying to create an environment where everyone matters. We invest a great deal of time... More