Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Rank Group Chief Executive John O’ Reilly
John O’ Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company)" (in 16 reviews)

• "The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management in particular Grosvenor leaders do not live the new values resulting in people leaving" (in 11 reviews)

• "structure benefits work life balance work flow" (in 6 reviews)

1. "A career building company"

Current Employee - Fraud Specialist in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Fraud Specialist in Sheffield, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for, especially considering all the hard work they put towards the people and teams (digital side of the busoness)

Cons

With the new european financil crisis (thanks to the exit of the european market) the company is reviewing the size of the offices and cut expenses as much as possible to survive this caos (they are, in the end, an entertainment company....if people have less money, they spend less)

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the people you have, communicate more and make the departments interdependable of each other.

16 Jan 2019 – Director of Corporate Communications and Investor Relations

Thank you for your positive feedback. I note your advice to management and I'm pleased to say communication and breaking down departmental silos are a key focus for us over the coming months... More

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Rank Group full-time

Pros

Great place to work. There's no bullying, and if there was it's been dealt with most likely so please don't take too much notice of the ranters! Maybe they had an issue that was particular to them I don't know. Rank has a great culture, friendly hard working and professional - no faults all round.

Cons

Parking is a pain in Maidenhead as it's town centre but I found a safe spot only two minutes walk away. If you get in early (for example to use the little on-site gym) you get a space anyway.

11 Jan 2019 – Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it is great that you enjoy working at Rank and are so positive about our working environment. Please do continue to be a great ambassador for Rank!

"Not the best experience ever"

I worked at Rank Group full-time

Pros

Salary is good for a while, but there are some things money cannot buy, peace of mind being one

Cons

Demoralising, not effective, not open to change, slow

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff to reap returns

11 Jan 2019 – Employee Relations Manager

Thanks for your review. It is disappointing to hear that you feel this way, as we are committed to investing in and supporting our teams as we go through changes as a business.

4. "Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Croupier in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Croupier in Leicester, England

I have been working at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits scheme within the company

Cons

Tedious Compulsory Commercial Presentations and Ideas Which Take up Working Hours

Advice to Management

Put the staff first not the customers

2 Nov 2018 – Employee Relations Manager

Thanks for sharing your views, it is great to receive feedback. Please do use team huddles to discuss how you feel about these presentations and to share any ideas you may have about how you'd like... More

"I love bingo 👏🏻"

Pros

Need to care more look after their staff and they are important

Cons

Have better managers, and actually listen too people who has cared about them

Advice to Management

Get managers who actually work ! They all think bingo finished at 5 !! I know in my life we have had the best customer care, one day their was a charter, and every manager had to work to this, I’m still working to it, but no manager

11 Jan 2019 – Employee Relations Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Please do discuss your concerns with your HRBP, and use team huddles to share your ideas for delivering a great customer experience.

"Very good recruiter selling gold but once your in it is a rotten apple"

Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No trust
    No flexibility
    Poor leadership
    Boring work
    Bullying culture
    No process and governance

Cons

Good basic salary
    Some really good people

Advice to Management

Need to change the culture at the top to many people in roles for too long not adding any value just protecting their position and little empire. Making decisions that don’t benefit or add value to the business only to their agenda ! Start putting the business first otherwise there won’t be one !

8 Aug 2018 – Human Resources Director

Many thanks for your feedback. It’s very disappointing to hear that you felt this way about the company during your time here. In addition to the really good people in our team, we have great... More

"Could be good if management changed (stars values do not exist in my area)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new building HQ Maidenhead
    Some really nice people (co-workers)

Cons

Bad management - (some with 1950's attitude)
    Bullying culture, certain senior members of staff seem to be protected no matter what they do (lots of ivory towers throughout the company!)
    Lack of training or career path
    Lots of changes constantly - no stability

Advice to Management

Please change your ways as good people that care are leaving left, right and centre
    The company culture needs to change so that employees feel that their work is valued and important
    Support your staff, don't just tell them "if you don't like it you know what to do!" That is not the attitude of any manager, that wants the business to do well.

10 Aug 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate honest feedback.

It’s great to hear that you enjoy our new office environment & enjoy working with some of your colleagues... More

"A brilliant place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Rank is the people and the values. It's a fun company to work for with lots to get involved in. I've always felt supported & felt comfortable to push myself further.

Cons

Debbie Downers who moan about everything - but you'll find them everywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring us all together as much as you can to improve morale.

8 Jun 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Hi there,

Thank you for such a positive review and for your advice. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy working with your fellow colleagues, we strive to build a supportive and inclusive... More

"Bad organisation and Management"

Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly members of staff that you work alongside (other champions, not higher management)

Cons

Not enough members of staff to cope with call volume. Part time workers not as valued, not given the same opportunities as full timers. Management not considerate of employees needs or mental health. Only wanting to fulfil there own needs. Management have a bad work ethic, come in late, leave early. Yet expect champions to be motivated to work there set hours be on time, come in early and go the extra mile when they don't show any motivation themselves. Higher management also bad mouth employees and then those words go around the office, so if you do work there, be prepared to hear negative comments about yourself. Very unprofessional.

25 Jun 2018 – Director of Customer Contact

Thank you for your feedback – I am sorry that you feel that we do not support colleagues Mental Health needs, as we have invested heavily in this area. Every manager in Sheffield has been through... More

"Could be a great company, but ruined by the management and 'brown-nose' culture"

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met smart people while working in here, but they are not treated as they should and stuck doing pointless tasks instead of actually focusing on delivering great product.

Benefits are average, nothing special.

Cons

If you have passion and ambitions to progress in what you do, stay away. Looks nice on the outside, but is rotten from the inside.

- Management has no idea what they are doing and which direction they are going, constant restructuring and change of plans.
    - There is no consistency in what management is saying, promising and doing.
    - Constant political games and imitation of working process.
    - Company promotes STAR values which is nothing more than just words.
    - You can speak up freely, but nobody will listen / care about it.
    - No development opportunities unless you wish to please management by hiding true picture with nice reports and
    - Promotion of friends and hang-out buddies that have no relevant education or qualification for the role which results in a total mess in working process due to incompetence

Advice to Management

In short, talk less, do more:

- Focus on the customer, products you're building and internal atmosphere instead of pleasing seniors and developing 'brown-nose' culture.
    - If you're hiring talents with industry experience listen to their recommendations to prevent fails instead of ignoring them until it happens.

15 Jul 2018 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for your comments and as always we appreciate your feedback.

Naturally, I am concerned by your experiences and would welcome the opportunity to discuss these further. If you wish to... More