Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Rank Group Chief Executive John O’ Reilly
John O’ Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company)" (in 16 reviews)

• "The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management in particular Grosvenor leaders do not live the new values resulting in people leaving" (in 11 reviews)

• "structure benefits work life balance work flow" (in 6 reviews)

1. "A brilliant place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Rank is the people and the values. It's a fun company to work for with lots to get involved in. I've always felt supported & felt comfortable to push myself further.

Cons

Debbie Downers who moan about everything - but you'll find them everywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring us all together as much as you can to improve morale.

8 Jun 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Hi there,

Thank you for such a positive review and for your advice. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy working with your fellow colleagues, we strive to build a supportive and inclusive... More

"Very good recruiter selling gold but once your in it is a rotten apple"

Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No trust
    No flexibility
    Poor leadership
    Boring work
    Bullying culture
    No process and governance

Cons

Good basic salary
    Some really good people

Advice to Management

Need to change the culture at the top to many people in roles for too long not adding any value just protecting their position and little empire. Making decisions that don’t benefit or add value to the business only to their agenda ! Start putting the business first otherwise there won’t be one !

8 Aug 2018 – Human Resources Director

Many thanks for your feedback. It’s very disappointing to hear that you felt this way about the company during your time here. In addition to the really good people in our team, we have great... More

"They (longterm incumbent leadership) do everything they can to break you if you complain. This is for Maidenhead HQ."

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlike prison, you can actually go home every night, most co-workers are nice apart from the imbeciles that palm off their workloads and blame others for their mistakes so that save their own jobs from redundancy or deep dive analysis on what they actually have achieved, this is enacted by toadying up to their managers or team leads with creepy almost child-snatcher fake friendships. Its a Pro for them and a Con for the company and everyone else. Only time will tell if this is a Pro for the company, people are leaving like the exodus was here again, replaced by new blood to fall into the same realization that this place is as toxic as a Novichok the Russian nerve agent.
    It will get under your skin and unless you have the antidote (a manager that is not threatened by your knowledge or abilities) you are destined for the same role for the rest of your time at Rank, hence the brown nosing culture.

Cons

The CONS:

Conceit, Contrived, Conniving, Constantly belittling others, Continual bullying, Constant sexism, Convoluted complaints process where HR try their hardest to put you off making a formal grievance with comments like ' are you sure you want to make this complaint, i will speak to your manager now' rather than ' Okay, bring me evidence from colleagues and a recording if you have it and they will be suspended until a through investigation is completed'. .
    The above describes The Rank Leaders (some are nice and it's apparent to all whom they are, but on the whole, they are self serving and bullish to cover the fact they know hardly anything at all about being managers or motivators and just hold on to positions they did not earn but were given).

Teamleads (mostly if not all are token promotions to fulfill diversity quotas), Managers and Heads of IT - The vast majority are a complete waste of time and salary, each one promotes their friends or keen naive people they can manipulate into doing work that they themselves should be completing, they (managers teamleads directors and heads of depts) steal others ideas and suggestions and take the accolades for their teams hard work, purporting they themselves either suggested or directed or in some cases completed the project or activity.
    Its a joke, just like the STARS Awards where nominees are not published allowing a fair idea of numbers of votes per person to be seen by all prior to the winners being announced, or even afterwards, the leadership teams actually ignore the people they don't like that have been nominated by peers and throw in their own selected choices on the 'selection day' and lo and behold, we have a winner.

I only know this as a HR advisor let is slip when they left the company, they were part of that team and couldn't believe the bias, agenda or fake winners announced every time, of course some real winners are announced but only if they are 'game players' to quote a director.

Mostly the promotions of non-friends or people who were not former colleagues are purely for toadying and sickening brown nosing, if you are one of the diverse headcount they want to hold you up like Simba in The lion King "Ahhhh savenyahhhhh walaheshelaba" to show the world they are inclusive, diverse and accepting of all races and genders, then you are in the fold of the protected ones, but only in a lowly position of team lead or general helper or dogsboddy / fallguy, as you have to know your place, you are a token, not too bright and not a real leader (that's how they make you feel) you won't become a senior manager or director let alone promoted to the board.

The board is left to be filled by friends of the board, former colleagues etc. no one has ever made it to the heady heights via internal promotion, yet that does not stop the directors acting like puppies wanting their bellies rubbed whenever they speak to the HR leaders of the Exec team members.

Now, let me be clear, there are 3 main parts of this business; Retail (the clubs Mecca and Grosvenor), Digital (websites) and Corporate (IT and Project and Human Resources part of the company, this whole review is about Corporate HQ in Maidenhead as that's where I worked for far too long.

Not all people are bad, none will be named and the teams are generically referred to so this review will not be removed. Within those departments are sub teams and many different leaders so no one can actually be identified via this review.

They (self serving leaders) Con you out of pay rises and recognition, only putting forward their best mates, sycophants or themselves for STARS awards, bonuses or promotions via their friends nominations and peer approvals via appraisals.
    Totally toxic, navel gazing leadership.
    Far too self-involved to understand they are hated and they are the reason so many people have resigned.

Another major Con of working for Rank is that the leaders of HR teams just look the other way because they are toothless, spineless and above all, inept.

The only Cons for HR and the IT leadership, are web pages like this where the truth can be written and they can't take it down or bully it - fire it or write lies in an appraisal to make people leave the company quicker, after they had raised a complaint or a grievance to HR.

The really sad thing here on Glassdoor is that Rank's HR leaders or a PR person will write platitudes at the end of similar reviews like this to purport all is well and this review is not a common understanding of the reality (come and speak to us, we have an open door policy, we never knew about this, this is the first time someone has raised this, you must be biased, you have no facts or evidence etc..) Don't believe a word of it, they are full of bluff and hot air and cover their and their friends behinds at all times.
    Just read a few of the reviews of people who work in the HQ or who have left to see the truth, certain departments are toxic, check the job boards, that will give you a clue!

The con, is their conceit, control, conniving, confidence trick to get you to believe they are looking out for you, protecting you, listening to you and that they value you. A total Con. They lie like their lives depend on it.

if you raise a problem, you are the problem.
    if you highlight a problem, you are the problem.
    if you dare complain about bullying or racism or misogyny, you will be blamed for those exact things and bullied until you leave, not by HR but the leaders you or HR told about your complaints.

HR reluctance to do anything about the leadership teams egocentric and bullish arrogance has lead to a 3 tier system:

3. Retail staff (in clubs) treated like minions
    2. Head office workers bullied by their management unless they are either best mates from former employment together or holding the company to ransom as contractors with the keys to the knowledge base and records which are not handed over at any time so they are deemed invaluable.
    1. Directors, Heads of Departments and HR, they ruin peoples happiness and careers without a thought of the ramifications on those people or their families when they lose their jobs or go home every night depressed. crying or suicidal.

Last but not least, the cons are for the end users, the punters who are targeted by business analysts monitoring their movement in the clubs via their mobile phone Wi-Fi and bluetooth connectivity from Wi-Fi access points from entry to exit so they can be manipulated to spend more with advertising sent to their phones (this is not intellectual property or private information of the company, it is a widely used tool in many sectors).
    The on-line gamblers whom are targeted by data analysis of wherever their mouse cursor moves and hovers and clicks so they too can be targeted for media campaigns related to their activity (again industry and on-line standard user analytics not only used by Rank.
    And the bingo users, whom are only contacted after a few weeks of non attendance, to see if they have died, if not they get a nudge to come back and a few free lines of bingo..

yep, and this is nothing compared to what you should know. have a lovely day :)

Advice to Management

Go to a mirror and actually look at yourselves in the eye and ask yourselves, am I a nice, decent, honest, fair, loved and respected human being that treats everyone as fairly as I would expect and hope that my family or I would and should be treated? Please change what you do, how you cover things up and think about the lives you have are are currently ruining right now.

6 Aug 2018 – Communications Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I would very much like to discuss this further with you, if this is something you wish to do please contact me on sarah.powell@rank.com

"Could be good if management changed (stars values do not exist in my area)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new building HQ Maidenhead
    Some really nice people (co-workers)

Cons

Bad management - (some with 1950's attitude)
    Bullying culture, certain senior members of staff seem to be protected no matter what they do (lots of ivory towers throughout the company!)
    Lack of training or career path
    Lots of changes constantly - no stability

Advice to Management

Please change your ways as good people that care are leaving left, right and centre
    The company culture needs to change so that employees feel that their work is valued and important
    Support your staff, don't just tell them "if you don't like it you know what to do!" That is not the attitude of any manager, that wants the business to do well.

10 Aug 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate honest feedback.

It’s great to hear that you enjoy our new office environment & enjoy working with some of your colleagues... More

"Bad organisation and Management"

Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly members of staff that you work alongside (other champions, not higher management)

Cons

Not enough members of staff to cope with call volume. Part time workers not as valued, not given the same opportunities as full timers. Management not considerate of employees needs or mental health. Only wanting to fulfil there own needs. Management have a bad work ethic, come in late, leave early. Yet expect champions to be motivated to work there set hours be on time, come in early and go the extra mile when they don't show any motivation themselves. Higher management also bad mouth employees and then those words go around the office, so if you do work there, be prepared to hear negative comments about yourself. Very unprofessional.

25 Jun 2018 – Director of Customer Contact

Thank you for your feedback – I am sorry that you feel that we do not support colleagues Mental Health needs, as we have invested heavily in this area. Every manager in Sheffield has been through... More

"Could be a great company, but ruined by the management and 'brown-nose' culture"

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met smart people while working in here, but they are not treated as they should and stuck doing pointless tasks instead of actually focusing on delivering great product.

Benefits are average, nothing special.

Cons

If you have passion and ambitions to progress in what you do, stay away. Looks nice on the outside, but is rotten from the inside.

- Management has no idea what they are doing and which direction they are going, constant restructuring and change of plans.
    - There is no consistency in what management is saying, promising and doing.
    - Constant political games and imitation of working process.
    - Company promotes STAR values which is nothing more than just words.
    - You can speak up freely, but nobody will listen / care about it.
    - No development opportunities unless you wish to please management by hiding true picture with nice reports and
    - Promotion of friends and hang-out buddies that have no relevant education or qualification for the role which results in a total mess in working process due to incompetence

Advice to Management

In short, talk less, do more:

- Focus on the customer, products you're building and internal atmosphere instead of pleasing seniors and developing 'brown-nose' culture.
    - If you're hiring talents with industry experience listen to their recommendations to prevent fails instead of ignoring them until it happens.

15 Jul 2018 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for your comments and as always we appreciate your feedback.

Naturally, I am concerned by your experiences and would welcome the opportunity to discuss these further. If you wish to... More

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with create a team culture which is supportive, hard working with a good sprinkling of fun. We have clever, energetic people, trying to do their very best. Great offices where the working environment is considered and where they try to meet everyone's needs

Cons

We work with people and like all people you will have those who do their share and those that do not. The company may sometimes take a softer line on those we perceive do not live the values than we would like.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to do the best you can and live the values , you are our role models.

11 Jun 2018 – Director of HR, Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to respond, we are always delighted to hear great feedback like yours about the team culture at our Support Office and that you are enjoying the working environment... More

8. "Good flexibility for Part-Time workers"

Former Employee - Poker Room Dealer in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Poker Room Dealer in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company quickly recognized I was adept in role I was applying for and gave me the job straight away, increasing my responsibility quicker than most others.

Th company also had great flexibility for their part-time workers, I was able to change my schedule regularly depending on my University and sport commitments.

Cons

Pay rates just below the market average.

Advice to Management

Pay employees a fraction more and you will end up with more qualified people to to the job- I ended up working with many people who struggled with the english language.

8 Jun 2018 – Head of Human Resources London & Support

Many thanks for your response, it’s good to see that you would recommend the company. Within Grosvenor, we are always looking at ways to support team members with flexible working - where possible... More

"Values"

Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local and easy to commute

Cons

Working ar Rank was one of the worst experiences of my life, i have never been made to feel so incompetent, i was a very confident outgoing person, but it all changed, the managers all stuck together talking constantly behind your back, i thought it was just happening to me until i saw it first hand happening to other colleagues as well it caused me so much stress i have found it hard to work. They talk about values, what values do they show colleagues.

Advice to Management

Look at what your managers are doing, the way they are treating new collegues, just because they have been there a long time does not mean they are playing by the book, its called bullying! Values are there for a reason, put them into practice starting with employees.

15 Jun 2018 – Director Of Treasury and Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I note all your points regarding longer serving employees - its not clear from your review where in the business you were based - retail... More

"Too many political games at Support Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southend-on-Sea, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southend-on-Sea, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great colleagues at Support Office and in the Bingos and Casinos

Cons

If you don't suck up to some of the HR Directors then your job is not safe, don't want to name names but initials will do BR
    Nearly every department has their own agenda and don't work well with other teams

Advice to Management

Maybe your HR team are not as people focused as they should be
    Listen to your people at Operational Level, don't just tell them what to do

26 Apr 2018 – Group HR Director

Thank you for your feedback - it is always good to hear positive comments regarding colleagues in our support office and clubs.

That said, I would like to address your comment regarding our HR... More