Rank Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rank Group Chief Executive John O’ Reilly
John O’ Reilly
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance (best i have had in any company)" (in 16 reviews)

• "The senior management knows everyone's names and it feels much more like a family than any other gaming company I have every worked in" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management in particular Grosvenor leaders do not live the new values resulting in people leaving" (in 11 reviews)

• "structure benefits work life balance work flow" (in 6 reviews)

"A brilliant place to work and develop"

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Rank is the people and the values. It's a fun company to work for with lots to get involved in. I've always felt supported & felt comfortable to push myself further.

Cons

Debbie Downers who moan about everything - but you'll find them everywhere.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring us all together as much as you can to improve morale.

8 Jun 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Hi there,

Thank you for such a positive review and for your advice. It’s great to hear how much you enjoy working with your fellow colleagues, we strive to build a supportive and inclusive... More

2. "Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Croupier in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Croupier in Leicester, England

I have been working at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits scheme within the company

Cons

Tedious Compulsory Commercial Presentations and Ideas Which Take up Working Hours

Advice to Management

Put the staff first not the customers

2 Nov 2018 – Employee Relations Manager

Thanks for sharing your views, it is great to receive feedback. Please do use team huddles to discuss how you feel about these presentations and to share any ideas you may have about how you'd like... More

"Disgusted at how HR and Leaders treat competent staff"

I have been working at Rank Group full-time

Pros

Good perks and social aspects for everyone at the head office in Berkshire, nice but empty office space as so many people have left - parking is okay if you get in early enough or use the new spaces allotted to car sharing employees.

Cons

Where do I start!
    I’ve personally witnessed bullying by the management team as a whole, against anyone that dares even mention the company is wasting money on suppliers, failed contacts or pointless projects.
    You have to shut up and keep your head down and let the IT and Procurement leaders ride the storm and blame others.
    They should be removed from this place as soon as possible and the company will see the benefit after a full audit.
    Racism against the third party IT outsourced teams is horrendous. Never to their faces but always mickey taking of their accents or their grasp of written English. Ironic as they are the most qualified and professional technicians and engineers in the whole Rank organisation.
    The Human Remains, sorry Human Resources gang on the third floor live in a different world and should sit near the IT teams. They would then feel the atmosphere and notice the oppression and total cover up of any of many staff wanting to complain or raise concerns regarding bullying or favouritism.
    The brown mowers can do no wrong, will never be brought ‘in for a chat’ and are never ridiculed or spoken down to in the open office. Inept and bullying management from directors down through heads of depts to managers.

Advice to Management

You’ve lost the respect of anyone in the IT department. No one trusts or even believes you any longer. You are a joke.

"HR bias towards inept and bulling management team"

I worked at Rank Group full-time

Pros

Easy to do hardly anything at all if you laught at the bully’s jokes and become their eyes and ears as a trusted informant.

Cons

If you ever have the audacity to highlight leadership or management wrongdoings, bullying or favouritism; you will without doubt be targeted for enforced redundancy by ‘reorganisation’ of the team or department.
    A silly belief in morals or ethics must be left at the door. The Human Reaources leadership team are a self serving and friend saving network (mafia) within the Rank Organisation.
    If you ever served time in the HR Mafia and transferred to another department or team, you become an informant on any person you don’t like.
    That is how people build empires especially in the IT teams.
    Long serving staff (over 30 years) believe they own the company and dictate who stays by constantly pushing for the people that highlight their unprofessional attitude and lack of knowledge, to be managed out of the business or to be fired.
    Watch your back, play the game and always, always laugh at sexist and racist jokes.
    Be open to a bullying culture as that is how the IT leadership team rule from above.

Advice to Management

I have none. It is deeply engrained in the culture of the business to stop legitimate complaints being heard, progressed, understood, investigated or mitigated. The whole top tier of managers and directors need to be removed and new, fresh, positive, experienced and professional leaders brought in to mana he the IT department based in the Head Office in Berskshire. Who knows. You may actually save a fortune and get less negative reviews.

9 Oct 2018 – Communications Advisor

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is truly disappointing to read your comments as these are not behaviours that are, or ever have been tolerated here.

We would welcome the... More

"Very good recruiter selling gold but once your in it is a rotten apple"

Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Technology in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No trust
    No flexibility
    Poor leadership
    Boring work
    Bullying culture
    No process and governance

Cons

Good basic salary
    Some really good people

Advice to Management

Need to change the culture at the top to many people in roles for too long not adding any value just protecting their position and little empire. Making decisions that don’t benefit or add value to the business only to their agenda ! Start putting the business first otherwise there won’t be one !

8 Aug 2018 – Human Resources Director

Many thanks for your feedback. It’s very disappointing to hear that you felt this way about the company during your time here. In addition to the really good people in our team, we have great... More

"Could be good if management changed (stars values do not exist in my area)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new building HQ Maidenhead
    Some really nice people (co-workers)

Cons

Bad management - (some with 1950's attitude)
    Bullying culture, certain senior members of staff seem to be protected no matter what they do (lots of ivory towers throughout the company!)
    Lack of training or career path
    Lots of changes constantly - no stability

Advice to Management

Please change your ways as good people that care are leaving left, right and centre
    The company culture needs to change so that employees feel that their work is valued and important
    Support your staff, don't just tell them "if you don't like it you know what to do!" That is not the attitude of any manager, that wants the business to do well.

10 Aug 2018 – Director of HR Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate honest feedback.

It’s great to hear that you enjoy our new office environment & enjoy working with some of your colleagues... More

"Bad organisation and Management"

Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Customer Champion in Sheffield, England

I worked at Rank Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly members of staff that you work alongside (other champions, not higher management)

Cons

Not enough members of staff to cope with call volume. Part time workers not as valued, not given the same opportunities as full timers. Management not considerate of employees needs or mental health. Only wanting to fulfil there own needs. Management have a bad work ethic, come in late, leave early. Yet expect champions to be motivated to work there set hours be on time, come in early and go the extra mile when they don't show any motivation themselves. Higher management also bad mouth employees and then those words go around the office, so if you do work there, be prepared to hear negative comments about yourself. Very unprofessional.

25 Jun 2018 – Director of Customer Contact

Thank you for your feedback – I am sorry that you feel that we do not support colleagues Mental Health needs, as we have invested heavily in this area. Every manager in Sheffield has been through... More

"Could be a great company, but ruined by the management and 'brown-nose' culture"

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met smart people while working in here, but they are not treated as they should and stuck doing pointless tasks instead of actually focusing on delivering great product.

Benefits are average, nothing special.

Cons

If you have passion and ambitions to progress in what you do, stay away. Looks nice on the outside, but is rotten from the inside.

- Management has no idea what they are doing and which direction they are going, constant restructuring and change of plans.
    - There is no consistency in what management is saying, promising and doing.
    - Constant political games and imitation of working process.
    - Company promotes STAR values which is nothing more than just words.
    - You can speak up freely, but nobody will listen / care about it.
    - No development opportunities unless you wish to please management by hiding true picture with nice reports and
    - Promotion of friends and hang-out buddies that have no relevant education or qualification for the role which results in a total mess in working process due to incompetence

Advice to Management

In short, talk less, do more:

- Focus on the customer, products you're building and internal atmosphere instead of pleasing seniors and developing 'brown-nose' culture.
    - If you're hiring talents with industry experience listen to their recommendations to prevent fails instead of ignoring them until it happens.

15 Jul 2018 – Group HR Director

Many thanks for your comments and as always we appreciate your feedback.

Naturally, I am concerned by your experiences and would welcome the opportunity to discuss these further. If you wish to... More

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England

I have been working at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I work with create a team culture which is supportive, hard working with a good sprinkling of fun. We have clever, energetic people, trying to do their very best. Great offices where the working environment is considered and where they try to meet everyone's needs

Cons

We work with people and like all people you will have those who do their share and those that do not. The company may sometimes take a softer line on those we perceive do not live the values than we would like.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to do the best you can and live the values , you are our role models.

11 Jun 2018 – Director of HR, Shared Services

Thank you for taking the time to respond, we are always delighted to hear great feedback like yours about the team culture at our Support Office and that you are enjoying the working environment... More

"Values"

Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Media in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Rank Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local and easy to commute

Cons

Working ar Rank was one of the worst experiences of my life, i have never been made to feel so incompetent, i was a very confident outgoing person, but it all changed, the managers all stuck together talking constantly behind your back, i thought it was just happening to me until i saw it first hand happening to other colleagues as well it caused me so much stress i have found it hard to work. They talk about values, what values do they show colleagues.

Advice to Management

Look at what your managers are doing, the way they are treating new collegues, just because they have been there a long time does not mean they are playing by the book, its called bullying! Values are there for a reason, put them into practice starting with employees.

15 Jun 2018 – Director Of Treasury and Corporate Communications

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I note all your points regarding longer serving employees - its not clear from your review where in the business you were based - retail... More