Recruit Express Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Recruit Express Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

Found 114 reviews

2.8
Recruit Express CEO Joo Siang Sim (no image)
Joo Siang Sim
Pros
  • "great colleagues, fast paced environment(in 19 reviews)

• "Helpful and supportive colleagues, comfortable and friendly working environment, Great benefit scheme(incentives(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quite cut throat if you don't meet the sales target, must be open and willing to communicate with colleagues very actively(in 11 reviews)

• "Too fast-paced, but whether this is a con varies upon individuals(in 10 reviews)

1. "Bad experience in Infocomms"

I worked at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

Bad bad bad experience. You thought that working in a small team means that there is good teamwork and people can support each other better but there is just this one who doesn't see this. Having superb sales doesn't equate to high moral values. No work ethics, no professionalism. Selfish, self righteous, playing mind games and word games, backstabber, play rank game, using your rank and sales to get people to... follow

Cons

this is nothing but a vicious cycle.

Advice to Management

How can you improve the work environment when you choose to retain the toxic person.

Recruit Express2019-10-11
  2. "Decent stepping stone; strong traditionalist mindset"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore

I worked at Recruit Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In summary, the only positive thing I can take away is my (ex) colleagues in the office that made work bearable. It will be subjective to say that I have picked up many foundational skills in terms of recruitment, negotiation, speaking to clients and candidates, etc; and this, I feel, can open windows of opportunity to move up the career ladder elsewhere. In short - this job is ideal as a stepping stone but... not a final destination for those that want more meaning out of their careers.

Cons

- A traditional mindset in terms of work culture (e.g. working late equates to higher productivity in their eyes.) - It's all about numbers. You may be the most well-liked person in the office but the moment your numbers do not add up to expectation, you're just another cog in a machine that is easily dispensable. - Emotionless and transactional. We are all made to treat our clients and candidates (ironically) as... a piece of meat. "Just send! Just send! Don't think so much!". I don't think that's how Human Resources work, right? The whole basis of this is already wrong. - Management is selected based on the number of sales the person does, not so much of merit. Leadership selection becomes very unnatural because some leaders do not know how to be a leader. - Double standards. There's no clear-cut guideline on when an employee gets confirmed in the role, or when the employee gets to go for their CEI examinations. It is all decided by merit as well as whether management likes you or not. - Pay-cut if we do not hit our minimum mark (monthly). I suppose negative reinforcement is their way of making us work harder. - Taking leave becomes a million-dollar question for the employees there. You must go through a vigorous multiple-round interrogation on why/who/when/how come you're taking leave and must you? Can you cut it shorter? Are you able to come back earlier? Basic entitlements are considered a privilege in their eyes. - Worst of all: whoever has the highest sales are deemed to have the strongest say in the company. I believe the current employees have seen it with their own eyes that in certain situations, directors have no say over managers decisions' especially when the manager is high-performing. It becomes destructive because decisions made end up very biased and one-sided and nobody has a say. - Micromanagement. It's fine at work because of the nature of the job, but even till the point of dictating WHO you should eat with during lunch. Like seriously? Are we kids?

Advice to Management

I feel that there are redeeming factors within this company; however, if the management does not take heed in modernizing the office and realize that money alone will not make an employee in this generation stay and be loyal to you, then this company will just end up being a sinking ship. I appreciate the opportunities given when I was there. It made me realize what I DO NOT want to do, and it's to be in this... company anymore.

Recruit Express2019-09-19

September 23, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. If you would like to share more about your experiences with us, please contact us by emailing feedback@recruitexpress.com.sg so that we can set up an appropriate time to talk. Thank you again for the feedback.

3. "Backend"

Current Employee - Senior Executive

I have been working at Recruit Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great colleagues, fast paced environment

Cons

many out of work activities

Recruit Express2019-08-16

September 23, 2019HR Manager

4. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

Good stepping stone into Recruitment

Cons

Low starting salary pay even for fresh grads

Recruit Express2019-08-06

"Good place to start off from scratch!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Orchard, Central

I have been working at Recruit Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome colleagues in the office

Cons

Office politics within higher management

Recruit Express2019-06-10

June 17, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for the review. We are committed to create a conducive and collaborative environment for all our employees and we are glad to hear some of your experiences. We wish you the best in your future endeavours.

6. "A place to stress out"

I worked at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

If you enjoy cut throat environment this place welcomes you

Cons

Poor work ethics, management style, unnecessary politics. it’s just a number game(it’s about them, never about your welfare, unfair pay cuts, OT until siao but if you can’t fill roles, then sorry your pay still needs to get brutally cut if not bye) even though MOST of the time it’s based on luck and job market but they view it as your ultimate “skill”

Advice to Management

Good luck, hire the right ppl who love to stress everyday and shove jobs for a living

Recruit Express2019-07-11
  7. "Sales job- Cut throat culture"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Recruit Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

It would be a good stepping stone for fresh grad. However, don’t stay too long.

Cons

It’s a numbers game, no room for any excuses! If you can’t make it, then you are not cut out for it despite the amount of hard work. If you don’t meet their “expectations” thru weekly/monthly numbers report you can be doing ONLY contract roles for half a year till they agree/approve to sent you to take your CEI (license to do permanent roles), unless you are able to be well liked by your CEO/managers. With that,... be prepared to get pay cut (20%) if you don’t hit your target. Mandatory tasks: Never ending of calls to candidates as long as you receive resumes from your job posting. Daily candidates’ interview, no matter whether is there an job opening for them. Close to daily cold calling + biweekly business visit. Lastly, if you are not a confirmed staff and decided to resign. You will have to pay for their so called “training fees” as penalty + serve 2 weeks of notice. So technically, means free labour. Don’t think that you can peacefully do the bare minimum during your notice period. They will still monitor your performance and pass nasty remarks asking you to close deals. So, do think twice if you want join them. Good luck!

Recruit Express2019-06-26
  8. "It was the worst job/practices I’ve ever experienced."

Former Employee - Human Resources in Jurong East New Town, West

I worked at Recruit Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

There isn’t much pros to start with. Colleagues are ok, salary fluctuates due to sales nature. But such common traits are easily the same with other industry.

Cons

Unethical - Just dump any jobs to candidate to fulfill quota and commission. It could also mean that there is a possibility that the applicant is a bad fit, but the practice there is to shove it to him nevertheless. If the applicant is unsuccessful or fussy with their interviews, we move on to the next target and just leave him hanging. So by nature, the is a tendency to force applicant to take whatever jobs we dish... it to him, all we want is his cooperation. Fast pace and seems like results is all it matters, no one is going to question you how you do it. Not much guidance as well, if you can ‘survive’ then good and if not, next better player then.

Advice to Management

This advice is to everyone who is thinking of joining them, this is just afterall a sales job. Most of your colleagues just see you like an ant to the colony; not an asset. You probably also won’t learn much from them, because you are not view as an asset and they won’t invest into you. So I strongly suggest that you build up the foundation/ experiences elsewhere. If this company is really that good and those who... gave 5 stars, how come they are know as ‘former employees’. They would have stayed on already

Recruit Express2019-06-20

June 24, 2019HR Manager

"Executive Search Consultant"

I have been working at Recruit Express full-time

Pros

Got handed experience by cold calling and approach new clients and candidates

Cons

less training and system quite a mess

Recruit Express2019-04-09

May 2, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for the review. We are committed to create a conducive and collaborative environment for all our employees and we are disappointed to hear some of your experiences. We value and consider all feedback and we will continue to find ways to improve. Thank you again for your contribution and feedback.

"Very steep learning curve - Hustle from morning to evening"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Recruit Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive mentors. Dynamic and fast moving environment. Not your usual boring office job

Cons

Very fast paced, very steep learning curve and some managers can be quite sales Focussed. This is a sales job after all. Not an easy environment to survive or thrive in. Unless you don't mind getting shouted at and made to feel worthless.

Advice to Management

Times have changed. Move on.

Recruit Express2019-05-12