Redfin Employee Reviews about "associate agents"

Updated 10 Sep 2019

3.5
Redfin CEO Glenn Kelman
Glenn Kelman
Cons

Reviews about "associate agents"

Return to all Reviews

"Great company to work for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy to use online platform, not stressful

Cons

not compensated for expenses, need more support and communication between lead agents and associate agents

"Great opportunity to gain experience"

Current Employee - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great experience working with clients, flexibility, good variety of work

Cons

As an associate agent, you are not an employee of the company and you can feel pretty disconnected from those that are.

"Not a good company to work for"

1.0
    Former Contractor - Associate Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Redfin for more than a year

Pros

Residential real estate experience , can be flexible but you most work nights and weekends if you want to make some money.

Cons

I worked for Redfin for about two years. The compensation was reduced after two months and then again the following year. Many late hours, nights, and weekends filling in shifts for lead agents. You could have a week of work go from scheduled to cancelled with no guarantees of making any money or to be left with only one small job for the day at a random time. Customers do not confirm there appointments and they can be difficult to get in touch with. Clients cancel extremely often at the last minute when you are already on your way to the scheduled appointment. This all can be very frustrating given you have spent time and money scheduling the appointments beforehand. It also gives the you a bad name among the other brokerages having wasted their time and their clients time. Lead agents ignore your texts phone calls and emails as well they do not value the Associate Agents unless they are desperate to find coverage. Many lead agents are rude and condescending to their less important counterparts. The final issue being the most important is the monetary aspect, after working as a contractor and paying taxes if you make 30k for instance and pay taxes on that money and keep all your deductions you will come out with approximately 3-4 thousand dollars, I made about 25k one year and ended up having to owe money, I had to pay money in taxes and my income with Redfin was a total loss. Having a real estate license is not cheap! Especially with all the association dues! I can not stress this enough with your expenses, time spent, wear and tear on your vehicle, association dues, taxes you this opportunity was not worth it and I strongly recommend not pursing a career at Redfin. To add there are a couple good lead agents and from what I heard they are not treated very well either. They have a 50-100 clients at a time and then get their pay docked if they get anything less than 5 star review. This means they don't get the money from their deals or their bonuses. This is a bad company stay away!

"Know this going in..."

2.0
    Former Contractor - Associate Agent

I worked at Redfin for less than a year

Pros

An Associate Agent has control over his/her schedule. Good part time job.

Cons

An Associate Agent is an Independent Contractor, so your fate is in other's hands. You will spend well over $1000. and LOTS of study hours to get your RE license. Then, your contract can be terminated with no explanation and no recourse.

4.0
    Current Contractor - Associate Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Redfin for less than a year

Pros

1. Technology is the best, comparing to other big brokers I worked under. 2. semi-stable income you can count on. 3. they are definitely one of the big players of the future.

Cons

1. As associate agent you have to give up writing contracts, and nurture client relations, which leads to a daily grind, not even remembering customer's names. You can burn out fast, if you don't keep it interesting, or socialize with your team and other realtors from other brokerages. 2. not much opportunities to grow if you happen to be over 30. 3. Make it or break it really depends on your market, so do the research, and take it as a 2nd job, until it picks up enough to provide a decent pay. 4. Nobody will tell you: get to know the agents and your team in person! You have to be known to have more appointments, so check your team's calendar, go to the open houses of other agents, and broker tours if there are any in your area. 5. Some agents are looking down on associate agents to the point of being ridiculous. Don't pay attention, just do your job, these agents don't last. You have the same license, and many times more experience. 6. You have to be tech-savvy enough to figure how to keep busy without being on call 24-7.

6. "Love it here!"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Redfin for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love the ability to tailor my own schedule and never worry about finding clients. I love showing houses, and love interacting with so many people - it's a very positive, fun job.

Cons

Wish I could meet more of the other Redfin agents. As a contract employee, you don't go to Redfin meetings or functions, and I wish that there were a way that the Associate Agents could sometimes meet up to get to know each other.

"Real-estate evolution"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Tampa, FL

I worked at Redfin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advanced Technology , education, and support.

Cons

The push for volume instead of customer focus (this happens because of a low base salary and a low bonus structure. Chaos in the front line where it matters: Utilizing independent associate agents (1099) Technology running agents instead of agents utilizing technology Showing 10 houses a day should not be the norm. There is no way to provide clients with the attention that they need. Starting to treat employees like numbers

Current Employee - Associate Agent in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Redfin part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros of working at Redfin include a large amount flexibility in your Schedule and being self sufficient, as well as getting to enjoy a great amount of positive interactions with wonderful clients during the home buying process. This position within the company can be a wonderful way to train and acclimate the newly licensed agent in the real estate industry.

Cons

The associate agent position at Redfin is an independent contractor role that sometimes can leave you feeling isolated from the company culture. Also this role requires a lot of driving, so if you don't love to drive it is probably not a good fit.

Continue reading

"Flexible Work Schedule, but Contractor needs to have Flexible Personal Schedule"

Current Contractor - Associate Agent

I have been working at Redfin

Pros

Great job for someone with a personal flexible schedule. Good company, extremely flexible work schedule, very nice co-workers, team spirit, good technology. Send emails when local jobs are available to encourage internal movement. AA's get paid flat rates vs. commissions. Full time Agents are paid salary + benefits + bonuses - not commission based. Clients are typically able to view properties when it's convenient for them. Very client based, vs. realtor based, model. Continually trying to improve technology.

Cons

Typical of real estate industry most of the work is nights and weekends. A lot of the tours are requested within a 24 hour period. There are somewhat frequent changes and cancellations. Can be difficult to schedule around childcare and other personal obligations. There is lead and follow up work to Tours that need to be taken into consideration when opening your calendar. Can be difficult to get enough hours at the times you want them. Agent technology is geared towards iPhone, can be clunky using Android. As a contractor there are a lot of added expenses: licensing fees, Realtor Association fees, continuing education fees, Redfin required car insurance level, printing, gas, etc. which is typical of real estate industry. Some clients & non-Redfin agents don't fully understand Redfin model. Buyers are assigned a primary Agent, but may tour with any Associate Agent and may only see an AA once and may not interact with the primary Agent very much until the offer process.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Redfin for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility and decent training provided for new associate agents

Cons

career path undefined and low pay for associate agents

Found 34 reviews