Revel Reviews

Updated 14 Dec 2020

3.6
Revel CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran
Pros
  • "Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule(in 11 reviews)

• "The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing at such a rapid pace that sometimes there are informational gaps between leadership and associates(in 6 reviews)

• "Not enough business development muscle to keep you employed(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Bigger is not better"

• Diversity & Inclusion

I have been working at Revel full-time

Pros

Accountability is 99% to the customer (as long as you are billing hours). Great when you need to fill in with a job that pays the bills.

Cons

Acquisition by Infogain resulted in immediate 5% pay cut for *everyone (* as far as employees know). Weak vacation and benefits. You will never get a raise, so negotiate everything up front. No career path, if that's your thing.

"Don’t Work Here!"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel full-time for more than a year

Pros

My pay increased 60% from previous firm. There are some really good people @ Revel. Unfortunately, even they are hampered in their ability to do good, strangled by the dominating hand of the CEO. I am a leader here looking for every exit to quickly get off this bumpy ride.

Cons

Revel has six core principles: 1. Opt in, 2. See what can be, 3. Empathy always, 4. Be present, 5. Yes, and, 6. Love what you can do. You could more accurately change these to: 1. Work for free, 2. Do what I tell you, 3. Do what your client say, to hell with what you think, 4. Be present at all hours, 5. Have no boundaries, 6. Pretend you enjoy this When I started at Revel every single person I chatted with said, “I avoid working with Vikas (CEO) at all cost. Once you get in his orbit there be prepared to be randomized and never able to escape.” I thought they were wrong, they weren’t. Other come phrases heard around the office, “That’s what I call the Vikas Tornado!” The CEO is erratic, demoralizing, lack empathy, and is devoid of integrity. He takes every opportunity to silence other leaders both on client engagements and internal projects. He will routinely yell at you in front of clients leaving you with no shred of credibility to continue partnering with your clients. Other senior leadership is totally silent and complicit to Vikas’s demands. I’ve tired to raise issues with other leaders and they simply say “I get it but good luck convincing Vikas.”

Continue reading

"They post false five star reviews, I’ve helped them do it."

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home was flexible, and the events are above average.

Cons

The lies. Now that I’ve found a new job at a company that I love, I can’t help but warn others about the lies. I was complicit to keep my job, but we lied in these reviews all the time, asked other employees to lie, lied about bonuses and hid budget deficits, lied about client successes (even though we lost clients constantly), blindsided employees with layoffs on a regular basis, and completely falsified all kinds of efforts. They believe this is how all companies are run so that the ethical ramifications shouldn’t make a difference, and when I questioned what we were doing I was scolded for being naive, but let me tell you it’s so much better to work at a company that doesn’t have to lie to clients and employees all the time to save face! I’m honestly shocked they haven’t gone out of business yet, it certainly looked that way from the inside for a while. I’ve also personally witnessed another associate be verbally abused to the point of tears by one of our unhinged managers. It should’ve been ground for firing of the manager, in my opinion, and legally it was a very hostile work environment situation, but to my knowledge this manager was never reprimanded.

December 3, 2020CEO

As usual we appreciate the note and more importantly apologize that you feel this way. Whilst, we trust the underlying individual and assume positive intent in people it's critical to share facts/the other perspective with readers. Moreover (and as stated in other threads) the firm is a reflection of the whole and we have some really great leaders/managers/associates who show-up everyday to create value for their clients. communities, and each other. That's not to say we won't look into the hostility referenced in your comments. Bonuses: Our management and leadership team(s) qualify for a variable bonus. They've always been paid per achievement. Bonuses are accrued on a balance sheet and then paid accordingly. Pretty straight forward. Glassdoor Reviews: Thanks for sharing this information. And sad to see/know the above. We've seen similar comments from a few others on this platform. At that point People Services took action by reaching-out to staff (anonymously = safety) to see if this might be happening across the org. The team came back with nothing. Furthermore, we have NO internal Glassdoor campaigns. Whilst Glassdoor is ONE channel to collect sentiment and feedback, our employee experience strategy is derived from an annual employee sat assessment conducted by an agnostic 3rd party hired by our parent company. Budget and Financial Strength: We were acquired last year based on capability and financial merit. Note - this requires extensive due diligence by external/3rd parties hired by the acquiring organization. Moreover, we're probably one of few (medium sized) firms that actually goes through a certified financial audit (annually) providing our employees safety/confidence/security. This is not required and most orgs simply compile/review. Clients and Client Retention: We service some of the largest and most recognized brands. Readers (of this thread) can trust that they have a fairly detailed vetting process that includes validation of work and client references. Moreover, client/customer churn would result in poor financial performance. We have the opposite. CLV (customer lifetime value) is high...leading to a strong financial position...resulting in ongoing investments to ensure we continue delivering value to our clients and associates. We're just closing FY21Q3 (in a pandemic). Our associate retention is high. Our client retention is high. Our demand is high (we're hiring). Our financial position is strong - double digit topline and profitability growth. The entire team has exceeded expectations. Again - thanks for sharing your perspective. I felt compelled to share another perspective. Transparency is key and the management team works hard to maintain clarity and confidence. Super happy that you've find a place and job that you love. This is important in life. Wish we could've provided you this at Revel. Vikas K. Hostile workplace

"It was time... I should have done more..."

Former Employee - BI & Analytics Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opt in culture and entrepreneur environment made every day exciting and challenging. Vikas/Team bent over backwards to keep me engaged during trying times and was always there when I needed their support. I may have pushed the boundaries on both clients and Revel Management... but Vikas/Team for the most part smiled and just kept pivoting with me.

Cons

Its hard to make everyone happy during a company buy out. It felt like transparency and stability took a hit during this period... I get it, couldn't be helped. The management attrition was a little high for my liking - made it hard to re-establish trusted relationships.

December 3, 2020CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Really appreciate you sharing your experience with Revel. We're always seeking opportunities to improve and/or reinforce behaviors that result in a positive experience. Boundaries: Keep pushing them! This is what we love most. Leadership/Management should always carve out time to invest in growth (hard stop). They find joy in seeing others thrive. And create environments that nurture a growth mindset. Pushing boundaries with a well thought out plan makes it hard for people to say NO. Stick to creating lean business cases (READY), engage the right people (SET), then start executing/testing (GO). Acquisition: You're right on here. The process itself takes a lot from the leadership/management team. And that probably consumed (took) energy from our communication and engagement rhythm with associates and etc. We were warned this might happen. And it did. We quickly recovered from it in Q1 with the help of people services who own various spaces that give associates visibility into where we are on our vision of being a human-centered digital platform and software engineering company. These spaces include Q&A and etc. Management Attrition: Yes. This was an issue for a period time. Once we got our footing w/r/t a 3 to 5 year plan and etc. it made it easier for the leadership/management team to understand their purpose and how it aligns to the broader vision. Since then leadership and management retention has been great. We have spaces in place to continue this conversation and will have a continuous improvement mindset. Thanks again for your time with Revel. Your perspective and feedback is helpful. Vikas K.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Revel

Pros

Learnt lot of skills related to my skill and outside though most of it is self stimulating. Relaxed laid back environment. The community leaders are very collaborative.

Cons

Though Vikas has a vision based on Revel’s core principles the company does not stimulate those practices. It pretty hierarchy heavy, discrimination and racism is felt not across Revel but on certain teams. The management is aware of such behaviors:approach but they do nothing to rectify it .Having backbone and agree/disagreeable approach is not welcomed and most times such incidents are governed by Associate’s. In my team no one stayed more than a year and that’s something to note. I joined Revel a year back with a vision and my performance was at peak. Due to the business model we could get profit out of it. I would not recommend thus place as there’s no growth- only politics .

"What an experience!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Revel for over 6 years -- which is a long time for the industry. What kept me engaged and excited to be at Revel was the people, leadership, and the opportunity to create your own journey. (1) People: The current Revel team and many in the past are AMAZING. Revel really does find genuine people who I enjoyed working with. From those in the field, to Ops, Hr, and Finance, everyone is warm, welcoming, and helpful. I will miss working with such wonderful colleagues. (2) Leadership: The current leadership team will take the company places. They are visionaries who truly care about people. They also get their hands dirty when needed and don't tell anyone to do anything they won't do themselves. The CEO has been a great mentor over the years. He expects greatness, and you will be challenged. However, you will come out better for it and your career will grow + clients will be impressed. Isn't growth the point of work? Can't ask for anything more. (3) Opportunity: Related to the above, if you work hard and are okay with growth, you will be given opportunities to thrive. You do have to ask for it, and make it clear, but leadership will always support you. I've seen people grow in their careers here and move from HR to the field, from Ops to Sales, and from Associates to Sr. Managers. Opportunities are there if you seize them.

Cons

Revel has had some leadership miss-hires over the years that have resulted in a dampening of the culture. The current leadership is strong and culture is improving. I think it is a wonderful place to work.

December 3, 2020CEO

Thank you for the note and trust in our path forward. We've made some extensive investments that are creating growth opportunities. That said, growth typically comes with some friction/tension. We'll continue working through these. The first step is mindfulness. We're glad that our focus on encouraging people to stretch into new areas (or grow w/in current trajectory/focus) led to such positivity! As you know we really push and believe in the challenger mindset. Given our mission is to unlock the human creative potential in everyone. We focus on activating latent energy that exist everywhere and in everybody. Thanks for sharing and helping us reinforce these attributes. Vikas K.

"Just a meat shop"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was good. Not as good as it should have been since they consistently take a 50% to 60% cut which is above industry standards. There are/were some good people there, but they're all gone now.

Cons

You can go from golden boy to incommunicado in a matter of weeks with no rhyme or reason. There either is no pipeline or I was directly lied to. I tend to believe the latter based on my experiences and those shared with me after the fact. They pretend to be some caring company, but the reality is they are a meat shop like any other.

December 3, 2020CEO

Whilst you asked for no response; I wanted to thank you for feedback. We take data and perspectives from all listening channels into consideration. You spent the time sharing and I wanted to spend a few seconds recognizing that it's been heard. Wishing you all the best on your journey and sorry that you feel the way you did. Vikas K.

8. "Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel full-time

Pros

Great work environment and a great team

Cons

Don't have any negatives for the place

December 3, 2020CEO

Thanks for the note. Vikas K.

"No Pipeline, No Leadership - eventually no company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues to work with, if you can find them and are not on a solo project. Paychecks as long as you are on a project. Pay and benefits are solid.

Cons

The company is hemorrhaging talent due to the lack of jobs and pipeline. They do not really have business development staff (haven't for years) - instead they have relied upon Customer Managers, People Managers (of consultants on a project) and the Consultants themselves. They recently hired a 3rd party to look for opportunities, but in Oregon where there Revel doesn't have employees. This is definitely a "bro" culture, so unless you are under 30, and male (preferably single) you may not do well. There are really no women in leadership roles, outside of the finance lead and the HR manager (who I believe is now outsourced to Motiv). Be sure to always agree with the mercurial mood swings of the CEO, who is a great idea person but is not the right person to guide the company out of this dark time. If you don't have a job when you end a project, you will most likely be laid off.

August 18, 2019CEO

Thanks for writing this. We always like to read the feedback in these reviews and do our best to respond to them. Since you were with Revel for 8 years, I imagine you’re well aware of how the consulting business in this market has changed over time, something we’ve been evolving with for more than 10 years. I did want to address a few of your points: Talent/Satisfaction: I do really appreciate your recognition of Revelers. This is an amazing team with tremendous talent, and we wouldn’t succeed without them. We’ve put new systems in place to keep satisfaction front and center, with an internal People Services team extremely vested in Revelers and a monthly pulse tool in place that gives us insights into how the company is feeling. Internal satisfaction scores for the first half have been 87% - 90%, and we’re aiming to get this consistently above 95%. It’s the great ideas from Revelers that will help us achieve this. Leadership: Our experienced leadership team meets every Tuesday and has never been shy about expressing strong views and perspectives. Disagreement leads to healthy dialogue and decisions for what’s right for the firm, our clients and our broader community. Gender: Our leadership/management team is 30% womxn and 70% men. Overall, we’re sitting at 40% womxn and 60% men. That’s an improvement from where we’ve been but there is still a gap. This is and has been a priority, and one we continue to work on. Growth/Pipeline: We’ve always favored growing with long term relationships over a heavy sales/business development engine. This has become even more acutely important with CMOs who rely on us to deliver on our pillars of Digital, GTM Transformation, and Build. Investing in a new type of talent that understands this brave new world required a massive transition. But with clients who have been with us for 10+ years, 85% of our pipeline inbound from the CMO, and 72% growth from Jan 2019 to June 2019, we’re pleased with our progress. Thanks again for taking the time and caring enough to write this review. We're proud of the team here at Revel, their work, and people like you who continue to give us feedback. My door is always open for past, present and future Revelers to share views on how to make our firm even better. Cheers, Vikas K

"Best place to learn entrepreneurship"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Revel is nearing the end of an internal digital transformation that is focused on solution-based offerings. A community approach of governing internals teams promotes an environment of self-enablement of all Technology associates. This means that through community mentorship programs and Revel’s learning and development initiatives, Revel is a good place to be for anyone who is looking to expand knowledge and learn, especially young entrepreneurs and Data Scientist like myself. It is designed to promote ownership among associates.

Cons

The new style of governing took some getting used to, but it has positive effects in the long run.

May 31, 2019Sr Manager, People Services

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the words of encouragement. Yes, change does take time to adjust to, and we appreciate you acknowledging that. We’ve worked hard to make our own internal transformations an opportunity for everyone to take on new development opportunities and grow. It’s great to hear that it worked out for you. If you have other specific thoughts or suggestions that you’d like to share, please feel free to send them in email to areiersgaard@revelconsulting.com. Thanks ~Amy

Viewing 1 - 10 of 117 English Reviews