Revel Systems Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 29 Jul 2020

4.0
Revel Systems CEO Greg Dukat (no image)
Greg Dukat
Pros
  • "Free lunch and unlimited supply of snacks is also a nice perk(in 36 reviews)

• "The pay was decent but worth the hostile work environment(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and forced employees to work crazy hours the end of the month(in 20 reviews)

• "Major cons all revolved around upper management(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Career Opportunities, Compensations & Benefits, Work/Life Balance

Cons

None of the listed above

2. "Product Owner Revel Systems"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

* Shift towards industry best practices *Growing * Lots of opportunity * Good work life balance

Cons

* Poor 401K * No performance based bonus

"Absolutely Love My Job"

Current Employee - Full-time Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Surrounded by motivated, kind people * Fast-paced environment with attention to work/life balance * Autonomy to tackle the work that you're interested in * 99% of negative reviews are from disgruntled former employees who left or were pushed out (rightfully so) during the company's sorely needed restructuring

Cons

* Sometimes I find myself eating too many of the free snacks :)

Continue reading

"Going all the way to the top"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no ceiling at Revel. Your growth here is only limited by your own ambition. Moving around the company is made very easy and I have been able to work on a ton of different projects this year.

Cons

Maintaining a good work life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is a culture of reasonable individual expectations.

"Constantly motivated to be the best I can be"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am constantly being pushed to improve and develop in my role and as a professional in the work force. I have been at Revel for almost a year now and I am inspired everyday by the effort that is put forth by everyone to help our customers grow their businesses.

Cons

Work life balance and compensation could be better, but I do understand that this is a startup and this is expected.

"Awesome place to work!"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems

Pros

I love the people I work with, everybody is very friendly and we all support each other. Additionally, since the company is growing there has been a lot of opportunity for me to move up in the company. Lastly, the work-life balance is overall pretty good.

Cons

I can't really think of any.

"CEO Needs To Go"

2.0

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty good product. Definitely an industry leader within the iPad POS space. CTO is crazy smart. Staring to hire grownups.

Cons

CEO. She is a boss not a leader. Has absolutely no concept of how to positively motivate employees. She leads by fear. Absolutely no work-life balance. In her opinion, she owns you. No personality, no ability to speak publicly (actually painful to watch) no charisma.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance,benefits and coworkers.

Cons

The minimum pay scale. Starting pay scale is minimum wage for salary employees in California. Meaning. They pay the minimum CA requires for Salary.

Continue reading

"Honest Review: Great People, Terrible Company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Revel Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First I would like to say is most of the 5 star reviews are fake. They all seem to follow a similar format for the pros with a jokingly "con". Please don't be fooled by them thinking Revel is going to be amazing place. While there are pros, there are many cons. The former CTO/Co-founder is starting a new company which would get rid of "fakes" of the internet where users must authenticate their true identity before posting. I find this very ironic as this page is littered with fake reviews so if his company is to succeed, I would love to see who REALLY wrote some of these 5-star reviews. What prompt me to write this is to give a truthful insight of my experience with the company. And to hopefully outset some of these 5 star reviews that are clearly fabricated. - Meet some incredible people who you actually will continue to be in contact with well after leaving the company. - Loads of snacks and occasionally some new ones every now and then - Free lunch every day, can't complain about free even if it feels bland after few months - Direct managers do actually care about your well-being. While they may not have the power to flip everything around for you, they're in the same boat as you (most of the time). - some nice perks like commuter, gym, cell phone reimbursement. While some of these are standard now, it's still nice to have - the skills you learn due the overwhelming tasks you must perform will definitely boost your career for your next job after Revel - when the product is working, it feels nice to help out small businesses - Did I forget to mention the people? ride together die together mentality where everyone shares the same pains - I worked with some people overseas in other offices, they're some of the best people to work with.

Cons

- Pay is lower than market rate. The pay isn't the best, people who leave normally find jobs that pay much more. - it's pure chaos. The product is very buggy. There was such a huge emphasize of making "new features instead of fixing the existing product. Perhaps this will now change under new leadership as the original CEO + CTO are now gone. Way too many experimental things that I won't name that further complicated things. While it may have worked at first, it only piled on more problems to fix and headaches for end user. Here's a thing running a simulated iPad running on special version of Revel, that is connected to this box thing that runs into here and there then into the iPad. All these backyard "hacks" seemed great at first, but never delivered the promised performance you would expect. - If you plan on leaving the company, make it a priority to purchase whatever stock options you are vested in. If you leave the company, you have 90 days to purchase what you're vested in. When I contacted them after I've departed, they told me "The grant listed in your offer letter from January 2015 has not yet been officially granted by the Board of Directors." This was sent back to me in 2016 shortly after I contacted them after I departed. Take it from me, I recommend getting them before leaving because once you're out, they'll send you to dead-ends until your 90 days are up. Maybe this is different now under the new CEO. - If you work in any position that directly in contact with customers, get ready for a lot of screaming, yelling, threats, legal action, etc. I guess this is normal with any customer support position but it pains to hear the hardship customers go through If I worked at Starbucks, I wouldn't feel bad if the latte I made doesn't have enough whip cream, but if your system lost all your credit card transitions from the night and you cannot pay out your waiters. Well, it's hard not to take the customer's side especially if you know it's not their fault. - Unlimited PTO in the day is a double edged sword. Looked down upon if you take too many. I hear this is going away which I suppose is a good thing. - Occasionally, a new update to the product will utterly destroy compatibility with older hardware we formerly supported thus leaving customers in the dark until it is patched days/weeks later. Try explaining that to them over the phone. - Sales rep blame the support team for not doing their job, and tech support blame sales for over-promising the product. So here's really at fault? Probably a combination of both but doesn't matter as we both suffer - When they try to hype up the company at events, it's incredibly corny and cheesy. A lot of false hope or lies about how well the company is doing, how we're the best in the market, etc. I would say though, the all-hands meeting at the comedy club was funny as heck. - You may notice a lot of management changes, lay offs, etc. I've seen my fair share of VP of Sales, VP of Support, Director of this and that. Many come in excited to make a real change but only to leave due to the disorganization of the company. Bets would be made to see how long this one would last. It was that bad. It was sad to do but unfortunate truth. - There isn't much work/life balance here, you work at work, you work at home at night, you work on your day off. You may receive a call while you're on vacation to work. You're in the hospital room giving birth to your 2nd child, you work. Okay that last one is an exaggeration but you get the point. I understand this may be the norm for bootstrap start ups but this company should be way passed that stage. Don't let your manager make you feel guilty for you not contributing to the success of company because you didn't want to work 16 hours. - There isn't much for career growth, you'll be stuck at what you're doing. The best you'll probably do is become a team lead. You may be able to jump to a different department, but after the years I've worked there, people who jump to a completely different department tend to get fired very shortly after. Not always the case but most of the time. Your best bet is to move what little bit of upwards you have in the same department CAUTION: The following is so totally true - Sometimes, there are no more Coronas on the 2nd floor so I have to walk to the 4th floor. When it rains, I can't eat outside on the balcony while sipping on my kombucha that came from tap. - They took away our nerf guns because someone got mad once. Gosh darn it - It's a growing company so there are some growing pains but I love my job. REVEL UP! Work hard PLAY HARD! YEAH

"Okay"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist

I worked at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

-Paid lunch -Gym reimbursement -Free snacks -Transit reimbursement -Free dental and vision -Wonderful people

Cons

-Product isn't good, customer complaints -Extremely disorganized -Work/life balance is wrongly advertised -Misinformation flows easily -No HR department

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews