Revolut Backend Engineer Reviews

Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
  1. "Great company"

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work! I fell fairly treated here. Company cares about employees well-being.

Cons

A bit lack of management results into working overtime, which fairly happens not quite often.

January 4, 2021

Thank you for your review. Wishing you a happy new year!

2. "Awesome place to work for skilled motivated people"

Current Employee - Senior Backend Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- ability to build amazing products - focus on success - team of practical proactive professionals - chance to be on boat which sailing to success - always beating goal, and creating next one much higher

Cons

- will not feets for people who try to do routine tasks, without doing extra mile, just to getting good salary without efforts

October 28, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate it. We're glad you're enjoying your time with us, keep up the great work!

"I knew it was going to be bad and some how it ended up being worse"

2.0

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Generally nice people + IT requests answered very fast + Lot’s to learn about what not to do when you become a leader

Cons

Technology: I was told Revolut hated using frameworks like Spring which is great I thought since I tend to avoid frameworks too! So I was shocked to discover when I joined that the CTO had written a trash framework himself that he forces everyone to use! Worst of all if you complain about his framework he tells you - it’s only a few classes so it shouldn’t get in the way of anything when it gets in the way of anything and then you fail your probation (luckily I was never vocal). This means the code at Rev is just a gigantic bunch of hacks around a trash framework. Also they don’t use CQRS - that’s just a straight lie. Also, instead of using an existing message queue like Kafka or something else they decided to build their own which has so many problems with reliability and missing features I don’t even know what to say. Culture As you can tell from the other reviews - the culture sucks & they make you work weekends, deadlines etc... But the worst part of this whole thing is that one day you come in to work & you see your work friend’s Slack account has been deactivated - no warning just fired. This has happened to me a dozen times at Rev now. Also you’ll regularly see people shouting at each other in person like genuinely arguing in the middle of the floor. HR There is no HR - the head of people is a lackey of the CEO with zero HR experience. Also, they monitor your slack so be careful. CEO Nik is very smart guy! I really like him as a person having worked with him - he’s very driven & gives good advice. But and this is a big but - Nik sadly isn’t mature enough to be a CEO of a company in our stage. We need to move the focus away from growth & invest in building PnL so I think right now is the right time for him to step down and for Rev to find an experienced CEO to drive the company to profitability.

May 29, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave some feedback. We’ll try to address some of these points here but we’d like to start by recommending that you speak to your manager, or HR about some of your complaints, so that they can work to try and address them. On the technology points you raise, we’d like to reiterate that CQRS, as a pattern, is present in our codebase, and that we have now invested in EventStore. Again, it’s tricky to try and address all of your technology feedback here, so please do speak to other technologists about this and raise any concerns you have with management / HR perhaps in a group setting if you’d be more comfortable with that. We are in a stage of hypergrowth, and on the path towards becoming profitable, so we realise that we sometimes ask a lot of our Revoluters. We hope that our benefits and perks go some way to recognise this extra effort that our people invest. We’re working hard to make Revolut an inclusive place for everyone, and shouting in the office simply isn’t acceptable. If you see this happen, please do report to HR so that they can handle it. Revolut’s performance review process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people have been let go after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. Where people have been asked to leave the business for underperformance, we aim to do this with care and sensitivity. We do not, as a rule, monitor employees’ communications although, like many employers, for security and other reasons we reserve the right to do so. We may also use automated tools that detect abusive language. This provision allows us to minimise the risk of misuse of internal communication systems and protects our employees. We hope that you feel able to reach out to support from management or HR and that we can start to improve your experience at Revolut.

"Sad place for software engineers due to terrible CTO"

1.0
    Current Employee - Backend Developer

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

Decent salary, more or less interesting projects

Cons

CTO mostly focuses on a form rather than substance, he cares deeply about naming things (how HE believes they should be, be ready to become a psychic), but ignores much deeper problems in the development process. For example, postmortems are written, but never discussed, sometimes after a heavy outage the conclusion is "we did everything right, it is just a coincidence", pretty much every second one. Usually no action but saying "do good, don't do bad" is taken. He surrounded himself with a bunch of yes-men platform team, which feels like more a pool of developers for personal pet projects rather than team that should help others. The only team whose time is valuable, is the platform team, they (or even CTO himself) can introduce breaking changes overnight and then the rest of the backend will do nothing for a couple of days but fix builds in their projects. A cherry on top: whole company uses same stack of dependencies without proper versioning, often reinventing the wheel. Be ready to receive at least once a week a message in a developers slack channel about new ridiculous changes in the development process that you need to remember to follow with zero effort to automate things. The most suffering people from these processes are POs who can't really plan to deliver features, since developers are distracted with BS tasks coming from platform/CTO on a daily basis. Public shaming is also a part of the culture, sometimes CTO drags a link to bitbucket into a public chat to let everyone to discuss what is wrong (in his opinion) with this particular piece of code.

July 7, 2020

We’re sorry that your experience sounds negative. We do pride ourselves on having a culture of open feedback, and we think that everyone can gain a lot from group learning sessions, but this is never for shaming purposes. Postmortems are written and openly accessible to all and most of the company uses a similar stack so that we can upgrade once and identify any bugs at the same time. We value our tech teams and developers very highly and value their knowledge and experience. As a very fast moving business, we do sometimes have to work at speed and to manage competing priorities but we do value thinking deeper and properly analysing the root causes of any problem. As a current employee we hope you will be able to raise your concerns with your manager or with HR. Thank you for taking the time to make these comments.

5. "Amazing workplace"

4.0

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment where you can see your impact from very start. Amazing perks and nice startup culture, you will find snacks and drinks stocked all day in kitchen. You will feel inclusiveness in company with stock options.

Cons

Sometimes, you have to work for more than 8 hours but honestly it depends totally on you. I am still in my probation period and there were days when i worked even less that 8 , so it is totally up to you how do you manage your time and their expectations from you. I would say you have to be A player if you want to work normal hours and deliver at the same time.

6. "A place for the winners"

Former Employee - Senior Backend Software Engineer

I worked at Revolut full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ All the Engineers are extremely talented + You always see a technological innovation + Product is massively scaling, hardly can find a similarly successful one + Very decent salary (in comparison to 95% of other local companies)

Cons

- Not a perfect place for people who are ok with being average and have no goals and ambitions

Continue reading
  7. "Very strong work ethics"

Current Employee - Backend Software Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. There are many real world challenges to be solved with urgency 2. You get to work on cool stuff from day one 3. Many smart competing colleagues 4. The product is growing every day. So, lot of new opportunities. There are even opportunities which are not yet polished waiting to be discovered.

Cons

1. Lack of internal technical documentation makes it a bit hard to navigate one's way through the huge code base 2. Not all teams use monitoring tools effectively which may lead to delayed discovery of bugs

Continue reading

"Poor work-life balance but interesting projects"

Current Employee - Senior Backend Developer in Kraków

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for young and ambitious. Engineering culture is on very high level. Super fast changing environment.

Cons

Overworking is a norm, unclear stock sharing scheme, unclear salary policy (new joiners receive bigger salary than experienced engineer on the same position), salary is not increasing after 2 years of work.

9. "Big company with big ambitions"

Current Employee - Senior Backend Engineer in Moscow

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

Young and ambitious company, modern IT structure, clear and plain-enough corporative hierarchy, open-minded and high-skilled professionals.

Cons

For now can not see any cons

December 4, 2020

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. We're glad you're enjoying being a Revoluter!

"Think twice before you go there."

1.0
    Former Employee - Backend Engineer in Moscow

I worked at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. You can gain some experience in the finance domain. 2. There are few good developers. 3. Still good for your resume. 4. Stock options(but you can't sell them)

Cons

1. Toxic culture. 2. Fairly incompetent management. 3. Unpaid constant overtimes. The company, of course, is saying something like "we do not expect overtimes". 4. Broken, political based promotion process. 5. CTO with his "interesting" ideas about the system design. Moreover, he developed a trash framework and forces everyone to use it. He practices shaming of developers who have already left. 6. Low compensation(approx. 25% lower in comparison with the local market). 7. Limited tech stack - you will not be able to gain some technical experience. 8. Normally at Revolut management is treated as something more important than developers. 9. Managers force to leave a good review for the company on Glassdoor.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 English Reviews