Revolut Data Scientist Reviews

Updated 22 Feb 2021

3.8
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
  1. "Fast-paced and highly-independent work place"

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Can learn new things from the smartest people in the industry - The company has a workplace experience team that cares about our well-being - Moving to permanent remote working model

Cons

- Occasional working late - Currently at a concerning phase regarding the bonus structure - The data team is very decentralised, not suitable for people looking for opportunities to work on various projects

"Great Product, extremely poor outlook towards employee"

2.0

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Great and well diversified Product 2. Good global presence

Cons

1. Compensation is taking a toll every quarter 2. Benefits are dwindling, be it stock compensation or bonus 3. Growth is very poor 4. Dont ever get sold on a lunior level with the perception of fast growth. It doesnt happens

"You will learn a lot"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work. Changed a lot since the beginning

Cons

Slowly becoming a huge powerhouse

"Fast paced"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

smart people, fast paced, lots of opportunities

Cons

too much kpi oriented, hard wlb

January 4, 2021

Thank you for your review, and for appreciating that our Revoluters have the chance to work with really talented people. Revolut wants to reinvent how the world does money. We want to deliver great things for our customers and that ambition to get things done quickly can sometimes be challenging. At the same time we want everyone to enjoy working at Revolut and to achieve a good work/life balance. Please watch out for advice and tips from HR and Workplace Experience on how to achieve that and do reach out to your manager if you are struggling. We hope you continue to stay the course as part of our Revolut story.

"Data Science"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time

Pros

Steep learning for someone interested in practical knowledge

Cons

Based in Canary Wharf and so have to mix with Pinstriped suits

July 21, 2020

Thanks for letting us know about your positive experience, it's great that you're learning so much - keep up the good work!

"Amazing learning experience, high trust and exciting company to work for"

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Revolut has been an amazing experience. A lot of trust given to the employees, the opportunity to work on what is interesting to you (given that it brings business value). No one really watches you as long as you get your tasks done. That and social events, free breakfast, free deliveroo dinner.

Cons

Sometimes a very high workload. You need to be passionate about the product and love what you are doing

Revolut Response

October 10, 2019Stronger Together.

Thanks for the review and feedback. We’re happy to hear you’ve found it amazing so far and we’re hoping it only gets better from here :) We believe in enabling and empowering our employees to be the owners of their domains. You’re right about passion. One of our values is Never Settle. That means we’re crazy ambitious - whatever the workload, we work together to Get It Done because we love what we do. Passion is the key to all that.

"Data Scientist at Revolut"

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

As we see the team growing, I feel it is important to provide critical feedback on the company. Many other reviews I see here are just bashful; you have to think how mature are these 'somewhat experienced' people if they're taking time out of their days to bash a company online? Moreover I have been at Revolut for quite a long time, I've learned an immeasurable amount. There was another review which I found useful so I will use a similar structure. Self Learning Revolut enables us to tackle problems that are entirely unique and consecutively encourages us to seek unique solutions. The majority of my team (+ others) is quite young, meaning we spend a lot of time diving into the data and business without clear guidance. For the thinkers out there, this is ideal. Less Hierarchical Politics Having worked at larger corporates in the past - I can confidently say there is much less of this at Revolut. It is often the case that you will debate against seniority (e.g the 'experienced' people) - this is the key to success. Seniority often leads to complacency and misplaced ego, you must be willing to question your own assumptions and take criticism from others - how else can you grow? Data & Logic First No decisions are made with a "because-I-said-so" attitude. While some may see it as that, they are clearly not understanding the logic behind such decisions. Due to the speed of growth and collective ambition of employees, there is no room for assumptions. Revolut bases all decisions on data where it is available. Many 'experienced' hires are unable to accept this since they're accustomed to common practices. If the vision is to create something new for the world, how could we possibly do this by following in the footsteps of those we're trying to replace? Culture This may seem odd since the majority of the reviews question our culture. Yes, it is true that we have some internal qualms. Yes, it is true that we don't have many fluffy events and zoo retreats. But what is the marginal utility of these gimmicks? Large technology companies have capital to support such activities and as a result have now skewed the market's perception of culture. To be successful at Revolut, vision should be your culture. A vision for your team, a vision for the product and a vision for the company. It comes with its sacrifices - but what doesn't? Moreover, the Data Science team at Revolut is exceptionally collaborative and friendly with one another. We arrange many of our own activities, share learning resources and constantly discuss new projects we can tackle to improve the product. Growth It is quite obvious the several of the brightest people at Revolut will be future founders. There are many ambitious employees who yearn to make an impact and change things. They work a lot out of a sincere addiction to what they do and subsequently they get rewarded. It is astonishing how young most people are but despite this they are incredibly mature.

Cons

Lack of Guidance Many employees prefer to have guidance or experience to learn from. As a result we have a misalignment between employees and the way Revolut operates. It is not wrong to desire guidance - but it is equally important to be confident enough in yourself to know that you can achieve the same status as such 'experienced' people. It obviously would be beneficial to have a few intelligent people with some extra years of knowledge - but finding ones who are willing to adapt and learn is difficult. Lack of Knowledge of Fundamentals Although Revolut is packed full of intelligent people, this does not mean they are always wise. Some display heavy oversight or a lack of understanding of fundamentals - so they play into the 'buzz' and don't solve problems in the most efficient way. This stretches from Data Science to Engineering. Just as a surgeon goes through an extensive training regime covering a giant stretch of fundamentals - so should a technical hire (irrespective of his/her past work experience or seniority). This is a problem which has been fixed over the past few months in the Data Science team. Lack of Leadership Amongst Technical Hires Unfortunately some technical hires jump away from responsibility and display little to no leadership qualities at all. Engineers should grasp the product, vision and business logic of the code they're writing instead of behaving as cogs in a machine. LEADERSHIP is what will drive culture and productivity forward - nobody should be telling you to take on these qualities, it is something you should do own your own.

Continue reading
  8. "Good company, need culture changes"

4.0
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Berlin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary; Talented team; Interesting projects

Cons

Pressure from upper management can be unsustainable

January 12, 2021

Thank you for your review. We understand that our global ambition sometimes means we have more to get done in short amounts of time, but we thank you for staying the course and making a difference in your own way. Keep up the great work in 2021!

"Go for it if you connect to what you do)"

Current Employee - Data Scientist

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Maybe a somewhat different take on what it feels like Everyone is important. There are no people whose work doesn’t matter. A support agent that works to help specific people with any queries they may have can either clear up all their questions and worries or ruin their day by being ignorant and invasive. A product owner is here to identify and solve problems that make the most difference for our customers, yet should they fail it will have us make more mistakes on our journey to make people’s lives better. We support each other and are interested in getting to the results we work towards (a) as a team and (b) in a sustainable manner. We have ups and downs together, team rather than individual KPIs, and closely coupled goals across the teams. Everyone in the company is interested in everyone’s else success and has the time to clear out any blockers and answer the questions. The data team I’m part of and can tell most about is very friendly and cheerful) And this is not to mention the high calibre of the people you will be working and interacting with. We take responsibility for what we do and what we build. You become part of a rapidly growing team that is still taking shape and morphing, and, whatever your role is, are on one hell of a ride that is work in a rapidly growing smartly built start-up where decisions are based on data and there is no place for complacency and ignorance.

Cons

Taking the responsibility and connecting to what you do will likely mean every now and then going an extra mile. Little matters how much or how little you work, yet it’s intensive and I would not think of life at Revolut as a nine-to-five job. And it’s also your responsibility to avoid burnout and manage your time well. Not everything depends on you. Hardly anything is set in stone, which is mostly good yet at times frustrating, and if what you’ve been working on is no longer relevant to improving what we do and how we do it, it will be let go of. If it’s not the solution and bringing value to what people get with us that matter to you, it may be difficult and might seem somewhat unjust. People that wake up in the morning not knowing what are they doing in this world and need to be told of what’s the meaning of it all (preferably in an invigorating manner) may wilt in a culture of making a difference and getting it done.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Popular Careers with Revolut Job Seekers