Revolut London Reviews

Nikolay Storonsky
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Good place to work as iOS dev

9 Oct 2020 - Senior IOS Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very responsive iOS team leads; Very strong base architecture everybody follows; Automated processes like CI, code review, etc are perfect; Salary;

Cons

Weak relocation package; Missing of QA stage in dev process; Can become boring very fast; Health insurance for employee only, not family;

10 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for your review and keep up the great work!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

8 Jun 2021 - Growth in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Environment and good people

Cons

The processes in place are not yet defined

Be the first to find this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hello! Thank you for your comment. We wish you well!

3. 1.0
    Current Employee

Micro mgmt, toxic, unable to prioritize

11 Jun 2021 - Anonymous in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace perks, brand name, money

Cons

Unnecessary rush to meet short-term KPI w/o making sure products are well-tested. Overwork the team for tasks that are not that urgent. Yes, if tasks are really urgent everyone can stay until 3am to finish it and no one will complain because we are all team players with ownership. But please stop faking urgency with no real reason :) Each team just optimize for their own kpis and often make decisions that are sub-optimal for the company in the long term. 1 problem which should be solved in a centralised way? Nah let's just do it the hacky way separately for our own team - and yay! we have 4 solutions for 1 problem and now it costs too much to maintain, and too much to migrate Toxic culture making fun of people who 'don't perform' . Old timers getting promoted to high position without real achievements apart from delivery. You should look at the achievement of the product not just count that it's been delivered :) Having so many unnecessary processes.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Engineering excellence ruined by toxic product culture

24 Mar 2021 - Senior Product Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Engineers are experienced and genuinely interested in building a good product. If you don't have a technical background, you will pick up a lot of new knowledge. The product moves very quickly and your work can have an impact of millions of people who use the product every day. Everyone is very motivated and hard-working, even if that motivation is driven by fear.

Cons

The company is only interested in making money. There is zero interest in understanding or solving customer problems, even when those problems are caused by our product. The approach to problem solving is totally top-down and backwards from the rest of the industry. You will not learn anything at Revolut about product development that will be applicable at other companies that are customer-oriented. You will only learn how to survive at Revolut. On a personal level, it really is a toxic workplace without trust or mutual respect. I think a lot of my colleagues are happy with their jobs because they believe the compensation is good and the experience will further their career, but I do not know a single person who enjoys their work whatsoever. Diversity is also a major issue. Less than 10% of managers are women. Fix this. Finally, the equity compensation system was changed recently and new hires should understand that it is much less beneficial than before. If you are considering taking a job at Revolut, read the fine print carefully and push for cash.

30 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hello, thank you for telling us about your experience. You are right about the commitment of our engineers. We're proud of their dedication. We take all reviews seriously and would like to set some things straight. Firstly we should be clear that everyone at Revolut is very focused on delivering the best possible customer experience. We have feedback loops across our business to pick up and resolve issues so that we can deliver the best possible product for our customers. Revolut is committed to fostering diversity including in developing more women leaders. The proportion of women managers is several times the percentage you cite and we hope that our Women in Leadership programme will increase the proportions of women coming into leadership roles. We're sorry if you don't find your workplace supportive. We want everyone to feel good at work and we'd recommend that you raise your concerns through our internal channels to see if we can improve things. Lastly, we want working at Revolut to be rewarding in every way. Our growth shares scheme was designed with the advice of external experts to be the best way we could ensure that employees could share in Revolut's future success while minimising their tax penalties. You can find more details in Confluence. Thank you for getting in touch.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

I Joined Revolut so you don't have to

3 Jun 2021 - Operations Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart driven people, Super interesting products, Good equity pre IPO, Exposure to jump to other fintechs later on. People complaining about Work life Balance: yes you work, this not google but it is nothing compared to IB or consulting

Cons

Company is still young and flexible: no structure/governance/hierarchy to protect you or help you, you are on your own with your team. Your line manager will not hold your hand, you have autonomy and are expected to deliver. Which is not for everyone

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unexperienced management. No work-life balance.

9 May 2021 - Software Engineer, Backend in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salary and bonuses average plus I would say. Flexible working policy is good.

Cons

Senior Management don’t have any clue how to manage people. Treating employees as resources, even good salary and bonuses can’t help here. Lack of people and resources, but they still expect you to finish big task with tough deadlines. Don’t accept problems/don’t want to fix, but they know about them. Rush with launching new features, so no time to improve previous. Decision makes in a rush, so mostly everything in MVP stage. Pure backend stack, internal frameworks with a lot of issues. Not interested in your knowledge improvement. Only when it comes to internal framework, but even here a lot of miscommunication and misunderstanding. Everything about speed, not quality. KPI based environment. Toxic environment. You will be told what, how and when you should do, no freedom and flexibility. So if you like challenges and want to try change those things, this is perfect place. But be ready to big resistance and lack of power.

8 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A fantastic place to work, for the right person

6 May 2021 - Senior L&D Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had some mixed feelings about joining Revolut, given some of the negative reviews and press I'd seen, but I'm happy to say that my experience has been overwhelmingly positive! It's unlike any environment I've worked in before (although joining a company during a pandemic is a new experience in itself), and it's probably not for everyone, but I can honestly say that I love it. Positives include: * the chance to work with A-players and be surrounded by smart, dedicated, passionate individuals * an amazing product and a clear vision for shaking up the financial services industry * a flexible working policy * intensely goal-driven but fair: you always know what you need to achieve and are pushed to prioritise and solve big problems * helpful and supportive colleagues and managers * culture and values that inspire me and that I can identify with * a great deal of autonomy to go out and get things done * a truly multicultural workforce and global outlook

Cons

I can't say I've come across any real negatives so far, but just a caveat that Revolut is not for everyone. You'll likely feel more at home if you've worked in technology and/or startups before, and perhaps also some international experience, especially in locations where the pace is a bit more hectic than the UK. Other things to note: * it's fast-paced startup and there's a lot to be done as quickly as possible; I haven't felt pressured to work extra hours, but you do need to be careful not to burn out. * the company sometimes suffers from a split personality: on the one hand it's finding its feet in the highly regulated world of finance, but it feels more like an innovative fintech focused almost entirely on building an exceptional product; this sometimes involves putting on different hats, depending on what you're doing * not enough female representation, especially in management (although that's partly to be expected in both finance and technology fields)

5 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hello! Thank you for sharing about your experience at length. We're glad you're enjoying our work environment, and that goes to show that you're a solid hire because as you've rightly said, Revolut isn't for everyone. Those who find Revolut to be a great culture fit for themselves will thrive and we're excited to see what you'll achieve! You've brought up a good point about female representation. We know we have a long way to go (the entire finance and tech industries do), and we're keen to increase the diversity of our teams and leadership. We've put in place targets to increase female representation in leadership, and have launched a "Women In Leadership" programme to accelerate progress in this area. Thank you for your commitment, and we wish you the very best!

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Opportunity to grow your tech skills but you will not enjoy it

8 Feb 2021 - Software Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ exceptionally technically strong engineering team, you can learn a lot + scalability challenges to solve + international experience with business travel between offices (pre-covid) + competitive salary + some teams have a lot of greenfield projects

Cons

- engineer's career growth depends highly on CTO's personal decisions, process is unclear - management (C-level) is pushing their ways of doing things, employee's opinion does not matter much - if you're unlucky you might get moved a lot between teams (and line managers) - in some (not all) teams PO/LM is pushing tasks without considering team's capacity so either you need to overtime or push back and get low performance scores - retention is low, nobody cares about whether you enjoy or not your work until you decide to leave - stock option bonuses are not really that good - there is no clarity on when and how much of those you'll be able to actually sell and company almost deliberately makes it hard/unclear for employees to sell their shares - performance review process is still unclear and is constantly being changed - work life balance highly depends on the team and LM but overall is low in the company - management is always trying to push for extra KPIs regardless of limited resources

28 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hi there, thank you for telling us about your experience at Revolut. We see that you're a Software Engineer, so thank you for powering up our innovations so our customers can have brilliant financial products and features all in one app. Revolut has grown massively in a very short time. Our speed and ambition bring many challenges that many Revoluters thrive on. We do our best to support our teams and we're hiring steadily to make sure we can meet our customers' needs. We want our incentive schemes, such as access to shares or options, to benefit all our employees worldwide, although local tax rules mean there has to be some variation in schemes by location. We provide information on the schemes at face to face briefings and through Confluence where you can see online calculators, examples and other information. You can also reach out to anyone on the Performance and Rewards team - they will be happy to help. As always, we hope you'll consider sending your feedback through our internal channels so together, we can make Revolut a great place to work. We wish you well.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's a choice

17 Jun 2021 - Product Owner in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Salary - Cool Products - Satisfaction of seeing the impact of your work

Cons

- Very little customer research before building products - Culture (Will never change)

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Chaotic and toxic experience

6 Apr 2021 - Backend Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Base salary is above average. - If you are lucky you are involved in interesting projects. - Some microservices have been well designed and tested.

Cons

- Overall culture in Revolut is at the same time chaotic and toxic. Once you join the organisation you are labeled as "B player" and the first day the HR and manager put on you already high pressure by saying that it's not for everyone to be promoted to "A player" by the end of probationary period and if you fail you are not going to be confirmed in the company. - You are evaluated on the basis of unrealistic KPIs decided by unexperienced managers that have been long enough in this company to be promoted and the company expects that you work 24/7 to accomplish these KPIs. So expect to work 12-15 hours every day and during weekends with no extra pay for overtime hours. - Technical decisions are taken in a rush most of the time taking short cuts which can be risky. - This company pretends too much from yourself and this has affected negatively my private life and I accepted the first offer on the table.

28 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hi there, thank you for contributing a review. We see that you were a backend engineer with us, so first, thank you for powering up our innovations so our customers can have brilliant financial products and features all in one app. Revolut is on a fast-growth trajectory, and that comes with many changes as we adapt to new opportunities and risks that surface everyday. Naturally, we'll need people who enjoy the challenges that come with, and they're often the ones who thrive in an environment like ours. On the flip side, there are those who prefer other types of challenges and end up leaving us, and that's perfectly normal. We hear your concerns, and want you to know that we're constantly working on our communication styles being effective and motivating. As our business and brand evolve, we're certain our internal culture will, too. We wish you the very best in your next role.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 205 Reviews