Revolut Reviews

Updated 1 Aug 2020

2.9
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
Pros
  • "Fast paced, demanding, every day different(in 19 reviews)

• "You get exposure to many different things so you learn a lot(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "gt; unexpected spikes in workload may occur - which makes work/life balance challenging(in 28 reviews)

• "no one really cares for product stuff)(in 19 reviews)

"Data Science"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time

Pros

Steep learning for someone interested in practical knowledge

Cons

Based in Canary Wharf and so have to mix with Pinstriped suits

July 21, 2020

Thanks for letting us know about your positive experience, it's great that you're learning so much - keep up the good work!

"Challenging and fast-paced but not different from other leading banks"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

1. Everyone is very intelligent and happy to follow a 'youthful' way of working, which makes getting things done very straight forward. You will never spend hours building a deck or negotiating with EAs just to get time with senior leaders - in fact it's completely acceptable to message (almost) anyone on Slack and expect a reply within 24 hours. 2. Systems are new and uncomplicated (for the industry). Significant improvements, that might take 6 months at big banks, can be achieved within 2 weeks.

Cons

1. Leaders are very arrogant about their place in the industry. I haven't seen Revolut launch anything truly innovative that hasn't been done elsewhere, yet leaders are always claiming that initiatives are 'world-leading' (e.g. Revolut Junior). Much of the customer base buys into this hype because Revolut has been most successful in markets with backward banking industries (i.e. continental Europe and Ireland). 2. Base pay and pension contributions are significantly below market. Previously this wasn't an issue because of share options and the 'start up culture', but now that they've basically become another big bank, they're going to have to come up with the cash to attract and retain talent. 3. Relatively flat structure and high calibre of talent above you mean that promotions are very hard to come by, and usually result from luck or playing the waiting game.

"Innovating company but complete wrong management"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined Revolut when the company had roughly 700 people at this time they were hiring recruiters like crazy! The hyper-growth phase is ultimately was attracted me and many others to the role. When I joined Revolut it saw me move from agency recruitment into internal recruitment for the first time, as it did pretty much with the entire recruitment team (which was 100+ plus). Here is my honest review: + The company are extremely ambitious and they wont let anything to stop them from achieving the set goals (though this can also be seen as a negative, see below) + Truly revolutionary product which constantly adds new features. + You will never be bored or have a lack of work, something is always needed to be done + They give some of the best perks in the market + Fully set up with everything you need as a recruiter. As well as this you will be set up with pretty much any tech equipment you need (though be warned if you dont return anything when you leave you will be invoiced, something they dont tell you at the start) + They have some great people and certain departments have a great culture + Good fun company events and regular hosted events in the HQ + Great company to have on your CV

Cons

Now for the downside to working for Revolut. I value my experience here as invaluable but a LOT needs to be changed in order for the business to become a global bank. - The business is always first NEVER the people - No clear career progression. If this is your first inhouse recruitment experience you will pretty much be used a resourcer - You'll be given tight deadlines to hire people but it seems nobody ever wants to interview the candidates. This results in employees not turning up to interviews (believe me it happens a lot), interview cancellations last minute and at the worst they will decide they dont want to interview the candidate anymore when they are due to interview the candidate in 5 minutes! - Be prepared for certain department to ignore you point blank for days on end even with urgent matters. - Be prepared to work long hours. This isnt a 9 to 5 job, you will find yourself working in the office until all hours to achieve your KPIs - KPIs are a MUST . If you underperform in one month then it could be the end of your employment - The business have pretty much hired with short term vision and not long term vision in mind. - The company leaders lack the right management experience. In each area of the business you will have people that are only leading due to having joined the business in the early days. Just because someone has been in the company longest does NOT mean they should be managing or leading. This is a big issue and shows a complete lack of experienced management - Fouders Minions. Nobody knows what they do and they cause more trouble than anything else

April 28, 2020Stronger Together

Thanks for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience at Revolut. Hypergrowth can come with some growing pains, and we've been working on creating company-wide processes that support the work of our Recruitment team. We've implemented interview reviews which provide feedback to all our interviewers, and an internal rating system so that we can address those interviewers who are not performing to our standards. Candidate experience is an ongoing project by the Employer Brand team, which includes ensuring that we are providing enough support to all our recruiters. We're working on supporting our management with a dedicated guild and Management and Leadership Development Manager providing plenty of relevant training modules and other support.

"Challenging and exciting environment with great opportunities"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the fast-paced and exciting environment and the fact that I get to work with a great team and brilliant people throughout the business. The base salaries are good and they offer great benefits (30 days annual leave, free deliveroo, etc.) A lot of complaints in other reviews are about the work-life balance and to be honest it can vary quite a bit depending on departments and individual teams. In my department the work-life balance is very good, in fact it's better than at other companies I've worked at before. The culture of never settling and always striving to be better aligns closely with my personal values, therefore it's a plus for me. However, if your biggest ambition in life is to be home in front of the TV by 6 pm every day, it might admittedly not be for you. I think people need to be aware what working for a start-up is really like before joining with false expectations.

Cons

Communication from (senior) management can be less than ideal, some decisions (mostly around internal processes) don't seem to be well thought through.

July 21, 2020

Thanks very much for your honest review, we really appreciate you taking the time. We're really glad that you're enjoying your work at Revolut, the pace and the team. Thanks also for the constructive feedback, we'll be sure to pass it on.

"Challenging and exciting work with a commitment to change"

4.0
    Current Employee - Department Head in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

You learn more in a few months at Revolut than a year anywhere else, the work is exciting, challenging and fast paced and it therefore requires a certain type of individual to thrive there. Colleagues in the main are friendly, intelligent, passionate and committed to the work they are doing, yes you may come across people who are less collaborative and arrogant but you get that at every company. Leadership is committed to change, the company is new, we are growing and learning every day and there are always going to be growing pains. There is, despite what you may read, a real commitment and desire to change and grow - this will take time but people are trying and have acknowledged that this needs to happen. You get a huge amount of autonomy to do your work, there is mention of micromanagement but I have genuinely not experienced that in my 9 months, did i have to prove my strengths and capabilities before additional work was given to me? yes. Was that slightly frustrating at the time, yes. But I persevered, knew my worth and now I have the full trust to deliver and drive initiatives based on my expertise.

Cons

There are some negative behaviours at senior level demonstrated within the organisation that need to be stamped out, this is happening but needs to happen more quickly. The CEO has a group of Founders Associates that micromanage areas that are not within their expertise and can often frustrate and undermine senior individuals within the company. KPIs can sometimes overtake meaningful measures and work, I understand the need to be output focussed but sometimes this just over complicates simple goals. Staff tend to focus on the negatives of the company, rather than understanding bigger picture implications and focusing on the positive work underway to improve working lives.

July 1, 2020

Thanks so much for your constructive feedback, we really appreciate it. We definitely recognise that we still have some growing to do in terms of communication, and we're really excited to have implemented our new leadership communications principles so that we all know what is expected of us. We're really glad to hear that you're learning and being challenged, and we thank you for your hard work and dedication!

"I knew it was going to be bad and some how it ended up being worse"

2.0
    Current Employee - Backend Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Generally nice people + IT requests answered very fast + Lot’s to learn about what not to do when you become a leader

Cons

Technology: I was told Revolut hated using frameworks like Spring which is great I thought since I tend to avoid frameworks too! So I was shocked to discover when I joined that the CTO had written a trash framework himself that he forces everyone to use! Worst of all if you complain about his framework he tells you - it’s only a few classes so it shouldn’t get in the way of anything when it gets in the way of anything and then you fail your probation (luckily I was never vocal). This means the code at Rev is just a gigantic bunch of hacks around a trash framework. Also they don’t use CQRS - that’s just a straight lie. Also, instead of using an existing message queue like Kafka or something else they decided to build their own which has so many problems with reliability and missing features I don’t even know what to say. Culture As you can tell from the other reviews - the culture sucks & they make you work weekends, deadlines etc... But the worst part of this whole thing is that one day you come in to work & you see your work friend’s Slack account has been deactivated - no warning just fired. This has happened to me a dozen times at Rev now. Also you’ll regularly see people shouting at each other in person like genuinely arguing in the middle of the floor. HR There is no HR - the head of people is a lackey of the CEO with zero HR experience. Also, they monitor your slack so be careful. CEO Nik is very smart guy! I really like him as a person having worked with him - he’s very driven & gives good advice. But and this is a big but - Nik sadly isn’t mature enough to be a CEO of a company in our stage. We need to move the focus away from growth & invest in building PnL so I think right now is the right time for him to step down and for Rev to find an experienced CEO to drive the company to profitability.

May 29, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave some feedback. We’ll try to address some of these points here but we’d like to start by recommending that you speak to your manager, or HR about some of your complaints, so that they can work to try and address them. On the technology points you raise, we’d like to reiterate that CQRS, as a pattern, is present in our codebase, and that we have now invested in EventStore. Again, it’s tricky to try and address all of your technology feedback here, so please do speak to other technologists about this and raise any concerns you have with management / HR perhaps in a group setting if you’d be more comfortable with that. We are in a stage of hypergrowth, and on the path towards becoming profitable, so we realise that we sometimes ask a lot of our Revoluters. We hope that our benefits and perks go some way to recognise this extra effort that our people invest. We’re working hard to make Revolut an inclusive place for everyone, and shouting in the office simply isn’t acceptable. If you see this happen, please do report to HR so that they can handle it. Revolut’s performance review process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people have been let go after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. Where people have been asked to leave the business for underperformance, we aim to do this with care and sensitivity. We do not, as a rule, monitor employees’ communications although, like many employers, for security and other reasons we reserve the right to do so. We may also use automated tools that detect abusive language. This provision allows us to minimise the risk of misuse of internal communication systems and protects our employees. We hope that you feel able to reach out to support from management or HR and that we can start to improve your experience at Revolut.

"Toxic culture, top down"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool product and brand, smart people

Cons

Unsupportive, fear-driven culture that stifles collaboration and openness, little to no feedback, not even a vague understanding of how to nurture talent and get the best from employees. Completely chaotic.

June 16, 2020

Thank you for your honest feedback, we appreciate you taking the time and really are sorry that you’re not feeling supported in your role. We believe that we have a culture of collaboration and open feedback and if you aren’t getting feedback that you need, we would ask that you escalate this to HR so that we can put a plan in place for you. We did announce recently the strengthening of functional management and new ways to provide more structured feedback, so we hope this will help. We accept that it can be more difficult since remote working to collaborate and get the feedback we need, so we’ll pass your comments on so we can think about ways to encourage more effective communication. We are glad you’re enjoying some important aspects of your work, like the people and the product, and we hope that you feel able to reach out to support from management or HR and that we improve your Revolut experience.

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fast pace company, no 2 days are the same - Motivational colleagues who believe in me - Hardworking people who are keen to make sure everyone produces the best work possible - Great scope for progression with the support of senior colleagues - The work I create is impactful and I am recognised for the great work I do - Have enjoy the few months I've worked here more than I've ever enjoyed any other place i've worked - absolutely love working for Revolut

Cons

- Must be willing to work longer hours if needed to "Get IT Done"!!

July 21, 2020

Hi there, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review! We're so pleased that you're enjoying your time at Revolut, and we appreciate your dedication!

"Most fulfilling job ever"

Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- No day is the same and everyday you learn something new - Everyone is motivated to create the best product possible for the customer - There is no limit on what is possible for the product you are working on - If you have an idea and can back it up with numbers you will be able to form your idea into an actual product feature - The people you work with are from very diverse backgrounds which makes the workplace very interesting and alive (e.g. you do not only interact with ex-bankers)

Cons

- You will have moments where the job gets busy and you need to make longer hours. This is the sacrifice you make when getting onboard of this groundbreaking company. (On the other hand you do get plenty of time in PTO in return to unwind)

July 1, 2020

Hi there, We really appreciate your positive review - thank you! We're so glad that you're clearly passionate about the Revolut mission, and are very grateful for the extra effort that you put in. Thanks so much again and keep up the great work!

"Great place for engineers"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary Great onboarding process Scope for progression

Cons

Long hours required at times

July 1, 2020

Hi there, Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience at Revolut - we really appreciate it! We're glad that you're enjoying some of the benefits we have on offer, and the progression that's open to you. thanks for your contributions and hard work.

Found 201 reviews