Revolut Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I learn a lot from the A-class guys in the house who are very experienced and inspiring" (in 3 reviews)

• "Great environment for self-development" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "None - work life balance will shift towards being dedicated to your job - but this is what being passionate is about" (in 8 reviews)

• "Can be company politics due to lack of structure" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Data Scientist at Revolut"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As we see the team growing, I feel it is important to provide critical feedback on the company. Many other reviews I see here are just bashful; you have to think how mature are these 'somewhat experienced' people if they're taking time out of their days to bash a company online? Moreover I have been at Revolut for quite a long time, I've learned an immeasurable amount. There was another review which I found useful so I will use a similar structure.

Self Learning
    Revolut enables us to tackle problems that are entirely unique and consecutively encourages us to seek unique solutions. The majority of my team (+ others) is quite young, meaning we spend a lot of time diving into the data and business without clear guidance. For the thinkers out there, this is ideal.

Less Hierarchical Politics
    Having worked at larger corporates in the past - I can confidently say there is much less of this at Revolut. It is often the case that you will debate against seniority (e.g the 'experienced' people) - this is the key to success. Seniority often leads to complacency and misplaced ego, you must be willing to question your own assumptions and take criticism from others - how else can you grow?

Data & Logic First
    No decisions are made with a "because-I-said-so" attitude. While some may see it as that, they are clearly not understanding the logic behind such decisions. Due to the speed of growth and collective ambition of employees, there is no room for assumptions. Revolut bases all decisions on data where it is available. Many 'experienced' hires are unable to accept this since they're accustomed to common practices. If the vision is to create something new for the world, how could we possibly do this by following in the footsteps of those we're trying to replace?

Culture
    This may seem odd since the majority of the reviews question our culture. Yes, it is true that we have some internal qualms. Yes, it is true that we don't have many fluffy events and zoo retreats. But what is the marginal utility of these gimmicks? Large technology companies have capital to support such activities and as a result have now skewed the market's perception of culture. To be successful at Revolut, vision should be your culture. A vision for your team, a vision for the product and a vision for the company. It comes with its sacrifices - but what doesn't? Moreover, the Data Science team at Revolut is exceptionally collaborative and friendly with one another. We arrange many of our own activities, share learning resources and constantly discuss new projects we can tackle to improve the product.

Growth
    It is quite obvious the several of the brightest people at Revolut will be future founders. There are many ambitious employees who yearn to make an impact and change things. They work a lot out of a sincere addiction to what they do and subsequently they get rewarded. It is astonishing how young most people are but despite this they are incredibly mature.

Cons

Lack of Guidance
    Many employees prefer to have guidance or experience to learn from. As a result we have a misalignment between employees and the way Revolut operates. It is not wrong to desire guidance - but it is equally important to be confident enough in yourself to know that you can achieve the same status as such 'experienced' people. It obviously would be beneficial to have a few intelligent people with some extra years of knowledge - but finding ones who are willing to adapt and learn is difficult.

Lack of Knowledge of Fundamentals
    Although Revolut is packed full of intelligent people, this does not mean they are always wise. Some display heavy oversight or a lack of understanding of fundamentals - so they play into the 'buzz' and don't solve problems in the most efficient way. This stretches from Data Science to Engineering. Just as a surgeon goes through an extensive training regime covering a giant stretch of fundamentals - so should a technical hire (irrespective of his/her past work experience or seniority). This is a problem which has been fixed over the past few months in the Data Science team.

Lack of Leadership Amongst Technical Hires
    Unfortunately some technical hires jump away from responsibility and display little to no leadership qualities at all. Engineers should grasp the product, vision and business logic of the code they're writing instead of behaving as cogs in a machine. LEADERSHIP is what will drive culture and productivity forward - nobody should be telling you to take on these qualities, it is something you should do own your own.

Advice to Management

Though many pinpoint the chaotic structure to be their pain point - I disagree. As long as we continue with such speed, we will never be able to nail the 'ideal' structure. It is better to treat it as a flexible track which we adapt to over time.

The most important thing though - is to recognise and value leadership amongst technical staff. If we plan to scale teams of engineers and data scientists to such large counts, there should be a proper understanding of how much good leadership brings to the progress of the company. Strong leaders are able to align the goals of their team and communicate Revolut's vision - find such people and encourage them!

"work in progress"

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

fast growing exciting game changer

Cons

everything about culture employee management

"A Training Ground for Future Founders"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart People
    Open Culture
    Values Logic and Data more than anywhere else I have worked
    Massive opportunities for self development and responsibility very early on

Cons

You have to find your own ground - onboarding process doesn't exist
    People are very focused so initially it is unclear whether or not you can ask for help (you always can)

"Good product and PR, poor culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great exposure and involvement in many different projects
    Full accountability in many projects from day one

Cons

- Work life balance is poor but if you work in startups you should be fine with it as it happens in most of them. Good to mention that KPIs are more difficult to meet due to management high expectations so you will be working longer hours than in other startups.
    - Too many projects going on at the same time and all of them are urgent for management. This situation brings lots of pressure on employees not making days enjoyable at all.
    - Employee benefits don’t exist

5. "The place to be if you look for more than just a job"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work ethics
    - Meritocratic
    - Hyper rationale culture: no BS, no politics

Cons

- Corporate culture could be more fun too

"Operations Manager"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very fast pace
    - Driven, constructive and very direct colleagues
    - Amazing products, like, really!!!

Cons

- Culture is not for everyone
    - Not very social
    - Long hours

7. "Revolut made me an expert in my field"

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands-on practical approach to finance and technology
    Building a world-class product
    Great CEO
    Rewarding
    Engaging

Cons

The office can get a little messy

8. "Awesome company, changing the face of banking"

Current Employee - Current Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Current Employee in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fintech leader, great product
    - Friendly team
    - Free Macbook
    - Innovative
    - Values proactivity and self-development
    - Free cookies every day!

Cons

- Not everyone can keep up the fast-paced environment

Advice to Management

- Keep it up!

9. "Excellent Progress and Work Ethic"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The motivation and determination that drives the company
    Good group of people
    Great Progression - Guaranteed progression pretty much!

Cons

Poor structure
    Social activities within work - but could be due to the people in office.

Advice to Management

Stay motivated and determined, and continue to value staff!

10. "Life changing opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most exciting and fastest growing fintechs out there. If you have a good idea and pitch it to the team, it will get done and you will be rewarded.

An extremely inspiring, talented, and driven group of people to work with and learn from.

Amazing opportunities for personal growth, learning new skills and a wide range of new experiences. You will be working alongside and putting together deals and products with the very biggest heavy hitters in the startup world and finance industry from day one.

Cons

None, you just have to be hungry to succeed and be prepared to put in the work to make that happen

Advice to Management

Keep getting it done!