Revolut Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I learn a lot from the A-class guys in the house who are very experienced and inspiring" (in 3 reviews)

• "Great environment for self-development" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "None - work life balance will shift towards being dedicated to your job - but this is what being passionate is about" (in 8 reviews)

• "Can be company politics due to lack of structure" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Data Scientist at Revolut"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As we see the team growing, I feel it is important to provide critical feedback on the company. Many other reviews I see here are just bashful; you have to think how mature are these 'somewhat experienced' people if they're taking time out of their days to bash a company online? Moreover I have been at Revolut for quite a long time, I've learned an immeasurable amount. There was another review which I found useful so I will use a similar structure.

Self Learning
    Revolut enables us to tackle problems that are entirely unique and consecutively encourages us to seek unique solutions. The majority of my team (+ others) is quite young, meaning we spend a lot of time diving into the data and business without clear guidance. For the thinkers out there, this is ideal.

Less Hierarchical Politics
    Having worked at larger corporates in the past - I can confidently say there is much less of this at Revolut. It is often the case that you will debate against seniority (e.g the 'experienced' people) - this is the key to success. Seniority often leads to complacency and misplaced ego, you must be willing to question your own assumptions and take criticism from others - how else can you grow?

Data & Logic First
    No decisions are made with a "because-I-said-so" attitude. While some may see it as that, they are clearly not understanding the logic behind such decisions. Due to the speed of growth and collective ambition of employees, there is no room for assumptions. Revolut bases all decisions on data where it is available. Many 'experienced' hires are unable to accept this since they're accustomed to common practices. If the vision is to create something new for the world, how could we possibly do this by following in the footsteps of those we're trying to replace?

Culture
    This may seem odd since the majority of the reviews question our culture. Yes, it is true that we have some internal qualms. Yes, it is true that we don't have many fluffy events and zoo retreats. But what is the marginal utility of these gimmicks? Large technology companies have capital to support such activities and as a result have now skewed the market's perception of culture. To be successful at Revolut, vision should be your culture. A vision for your team, a vision for the product and a vision for the company. It comes with its sacrifices - but what doesn't? Moreover, the Data Science team at Revolut is exceptionally collaborative and friendly with one another. We arrange many of our own activities, share learning resources and constantly discuss new projects we can tackle to improve the product.

Growth
    It is quite obvious the several of the brightest people at Revolut will be future founders. There are many ambitious employees who yearn to make an impact and change things. They work a lot out of a sincere addiction to what they do and subsequently they get rewarded. It is astonishing how young most people are but despite this they are incredibly mature.

Cons

Lack of Guidance
    Many employees prefer to have guidance or experience to learn from. As a result we have a misalignment between employees and the way Revolut operates. It is not wrong to desire guidance - but it is equally important to be confident enough in yourself to know that you can achieve the same status as such 'experienced' people. It obviously would be beneficial to have a few intelligent people with some extra years of knowledge - but finding ones who are willing to adapt and learn is difficult.

Lack of Knowledge of Fundamentals
    Although Revolut is packed full of intelligent people, this does not mean they are always wise. Some display heavy oversight or a lack of understanding of fundamentals - so they play into the 'buzz' and don't solve problems in the most efficient way. This stretches from Data Science to Engineering. Just as a surgeon goes through an extensive training regime covering a giant stretch of fundamentals - so should a technical hire (irrespective of his/her past work experience or seniority). This is a problem which has been fixed over the past few months in the Data Science team.

Lack of Leadership Amongst Technical Hires
    Unfortunately some technical hires jump away from responsibility and display little to no leadership qualities at all. Engineers should grasp the product, vision and business logic of the code they're writing instead of behaving as cogs in a machine. LEADERSHIP is what will drive culture and productivity forward - nobody should be telling you to take on these qualities, it is something you should do own your own.

Advice to Management

Though many pinpoint the chaotic structure to be their pain point - I disagree. As long as we continue with such speed, we will never be able to nail the 'ideal' structure. It is better to treat it as a flexible track which we adapt to over time.

The most important thing though - is to recognise and value leadership amongst technical staff. If we plan to scale teams of engineers and data scientists to such large counts, there should be a proper understanding of how much good leadership brings to the progress of the company. Strong leaders are able to align the goals of their team and communicate Revolut's vision - find such people and encourage them!

"Engineering at Revolut"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

I am writing this review as I believe the current positive and negative reviews are not helpful and potentially misleading.

First of all, the company is growing at the speed I have never experienced before. You need to understand this and count this in when making any decision. Most of the cons and pros described below are coming from fast growth. Because of growth an rapid changes, my review probably should be considered outdated within a year.

Second of all, most of the people in the company are incredibly motivated, passionate, smart, polite and pleasant to work with, but relatively young and inexperienced. This is slowly changing as the company matures.

Third of all, there is indeed very small amount of processes and bureaucracy in the company, which is again is great and frustrating at the same time.

What I consider the main pros here:
    - Revolut has a unique and addictive spirit of freedom, being part of something world-changing and understanding of your personal mission within the company. There are many things you can take over and improve. You also have full freedom to act smart and design something in the best way. Often you will have to create something that was never done before ever (this is partially why being smart is sometimes more valued than being experienced here). No one will stop you - there are more things to do then people. If you will demonstrate the ability to improve things, you will be given all resources to grow.
    - Exposure to business. Everything is transparent here, and you get to know a lot of people and understand their daily job. Very good for understanding how a growing startup works and a must if you are thinking of making a company in the future.
    - Multiple office locations. Sometimes mentioned in the cons, but I like this feeling of globality. Working remotely is not discouraged - after all, Revolut is made for travelers.
    - Colleagues. They are nice and smart. I don't notice competitiveness.

Cons

- Long working hours are often mentioned here among the cons. Even though if no one is forcing you to stay after 6 pm, people indeed often end up working late. There are two main reasons for this: 1) many things are disrupted by growth and are disorganized and 2) working is addictive when it is causing a big impact. Working long hours is respected and valued and is not expected by default. Same relates to working at weekends.
    - Rudeness and ignorance. This is entirely not true for the majority of the company, especially engineering. There are some teams with the aggressive and provocative culture which is a must in their daily job, but logical reasoning and common sense are respected and valued universally on all levels. Also, do not confuse rudeness with trader mentality.
    - Chaos and frustration. This is somehow true and I believe the reason is rapid growth. The code base is very solid and reliable though. TDD is a must. Generally speaking, things have improved massively over the last years and are on the right path.
    - benefits. Compared to Facebook, Google, etc, they are indeed very insignificant. Same with salaries - they are not low, but some companies offer more. Yet still, we have applicants from those companies.

I would not advise you working for Revolut if you find it easier to work with a pre-defined set of responsibilities. You will be frequently getting out of your comfort zone and doing things you never did before. It is also possible you might burn out - work is addictive and no one will stop you, but neither you will be pushed.

To sum up, you have to choose between chaotic but exciting and boring, but established. Revolut is the first.

3. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

-Exiting working environment
    -Intelligent people
    -Career opportunities

Cons

-On-boarding process needs improvement

"A Training Ground for Future Founders"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England
    Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart People
    Open Culture
    Values Logic and Data more than anywhere else I have worked
    Massive opportunities for self development and responsibility very early on

Cons

You have to find your own ground - onboarding process doesn't exist
    People are very focused so initially it is unclear whether or not you can ask for help (you always can)

5. "Compliance"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

- Open culture
    - Logic and data driven
    - Helpful colleagues
    - Continually seeking to be better

Cons

- Onboarding process could be improved

"Avoid like the plague if you are at least somewhat experienced"

I worked at Revolut full-time

Pros

You may get some stock options if your performance is deemed as "good" by senior management / founders

Cons

Everything else.

Founders don't understand the value of experience.
    Work / life balance is non-existent.
    Senior management is unprofessional.
    Culture is hyper-political (but founders don't seem to understand that).

7. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

Stuff actually gets done
    Everyone who works here is extremely passionate about the company
    Lots of friendly nice
    Lots of responsibility from day one
    Age doesn't matter - you can excel if you're smart and hardworking
    Lots of space to learn

Cons

Can be company politics due to lack of structure
    Teamwork isn't always encouraged very well
    Long hours

"Good product and PR, poor culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great exposure and involvement in many different projects
    Full accountability in many projects from day one

Cons

- Work life balance is poor but if you work in startups you should be fine with it as it happens in most of them. Good to mention that KPIs are more difficult to meet due to management high expectations so you will be working longer hours than in other startups.
    - Too many projects going on at the same time and all of them are urgent for management. This situation brings lots of pressure on employees not making days enjoyable at all.
    - Employee benefits don’t exist

"You need to be passionate"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You work in a very energetic and dynamic environment. Things are happening fast here.
    - Everyone is really passionate about the company. It's not a 9 to 5 kind of job. People love it and are giving everything to drive the changes
    - You have a real impact and consistently have a feeling of accomplishments. This is different from working in huge corporations.
    - Direct and honest culture. People raise issues when they see it, are honest to give direct feedback. So things actually move faster here, people are not afraid to speak up.

Cons

- Work-Life Balance. Well, no one is making you stay longer. But as you get so enthusiastic about the work, you tend to do that on your own. Also, you're always overwhelmed with the ideas about your job, so you simply don't want to delay it.
    - Direct Culture. It works great for me, but some other people feel pressure and are not used to that style.

10. "The place to be if you look for more than just a job"

Current Employee - Business Development in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work ethics
    - Meritocratic
    - Hyper rationale culture: no BS, no politics

Cons

- Corporate culture could be more fun too