Revolut Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.3
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You get exposure to many different things so you learn a lot" (in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of opportunities for learning and personal growth as you are surrounded by brilliant and motivated individuals" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is not the place if value your mental health or work/life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "there’s a perception senior management doesn’t respect / support employees" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Data Scientist at Revolut"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As we see the team growing, I feel it is important to provide critical feedback on the company. Many other reviews I see here are just bashful; you have to think how mature are these 'somewhat experienced' people if they're taking time out of their days to bash a company online? Moreover I have been at Revolut for quite a long time, I've learned an immeasurable amount. There was another review which I found useful so I will use a similar structure.

Self Learning
    Revolut enables us to tackle problems that are entirely unique and consecutively encourages us to seek unique solutions. The majority of my team (+ others) is quite young, meaning we spend a lot of time diving into the data and business without clear guidance. For the thinkers out there, this is ideal.

Less Hierarchical Politics
    Having worked at larger corporates in the past - I can confidently say there is much less of this at Revolut. It is often the case that you will debate against seniority (e.g the 'experienced' people) - this is the key to success. Seniority often leads to complacency and misplaced ego, you must be willing to question your own assumptions and take criticism from others - how else can you grow?

Data & Logic First
    No decisions are made with a "because-I-said-so" attitude. While some may see it as that, they are clearly not understanding the logic behind such decisions. Due to the speed of growth and collective ambition of employees, there is no room for assumptions. Revolut bases all decisions on data where it is available. Many 'experienced' hires are unable to accept this since they're accustomed to common practices. If the vision is to create something new for the world, how could we possibly do this by following in the footsteps of those we're trying to replace?

Culture
    This may seem odd since the majority of the reviews question our culture. Yes, it is true that we have some internal qualms. Yes, it is true that we don't have many fluffy events and zoo retreats. But what is the marginal utility of these gimmicks? Large technology companies have capital to support such activities and as a result have now skewed the market's perception of culture. To be successful at Revolut, vision should be your culture. A vision for your team, a vision for the product and a vision for the company. It comes with its sacrifices - but what doesn't? Moreover, the Data Science team at Revolut is exceptionally collaborative and friendly with one another. We arrange many of our own activities, share learning resources and constantly discuss new projects we can tackle to improve the product.

Growth
    It is quite obvious the several of the brightest people at Revolut will be future founders. There are many ambitious employees who yearn to make an impact and change things. They work a lot out of a sincere addiction to what they do and subsequently they get rewarded. It is astonishing how young most people are but despite this they are incredibly mature.

Cons

Lack of Guidance
    Many employees prefer to have guidance or experience to learn from. As a result we have a misalignment between employees and the way Revolut operates. It is not wrong to desire guidance - but it is equally important to be confident enough in yourself to know that you can achieve the same status as such 'experienced' people. It obviously would be beneficial to have a few intelligent people with some extra years of knowledge - but finding ones who are willing to adapt and learn is difficult.

Lack of Knowledge of Fundamentals
    Although Revolut is packed full of intelligent people, this does not mean they are always wise. Some display heavy oversight or a lack of understanding of fundamentals - so they play into the 'buzz' and don't solve problems in the most efficient way. This stretches from Data Science to Engineering. Just as a surgeon goes through an extensive training regime covering a giant stretch of fundamentals - so should a technical hire (irrespective of his/her past work experience or seniority). This is a problem which has been fixed over the past few months in the Data Science team.

Lack of Leadership Amongst Technical Hires
    Unfortunately some technical hires jump away from responsibility and display little to no leadership qualities at all. Engineers should grasp the product, vision and business logic of the code they're writing instead of behaving as cogs in a machine. LEADERSHIP is what will drive culture and productivity forward - nobody should be telling you to take on these qualities, it is something you should do own your own.

Advice to Management

Though many pinpoint the chaotic structure to be their pain point - I disagree. As long as we continue with such speed, we will never be able to nail the 'ideal' structure. It is better to treat it as a flexible track which we adapt to over time.

The most important thing though - is to recognise and value leadership amongst technical staff. If we plan to scale teams of engineers and data scientists to such large counts, there should be a proper understanding of how much good leadership brings to the progress of the company. Strong leaders are able to align the goals of their team and communicate Revolut's vision - find such people and encourage them!

"Incredible opportunity"

Current Employee - Paralegal in London, England
    Current Employee - Paralegal in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Employees are given a lot of responsibilities and autonomy.
    - Huge learning opportunities, it's never boring!
    - International, open-minded and friendly environment.
    - The London HQ is dynamic and a great work place.
    - Young and dynamic workforce.
    - Smart and interesting colleagues.

Cons

Working hours can be longer, but it's worth it. It is completely normal to work longer hours when being part of a company that is growing at this speed.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

Full of opportunities. If you have an idea, and it contributes to our business goals. You are encouraged to execute.
    Great place for self starters and future entrepreneurs
    You get to work with extremely smart people, and you learn from the best

Cons

For me, none. However I can understand why people would see some of my pros as cons. An unstructured environment with lots of autonomy is not for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Intense, but genuine"

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

We are solving a meaningful global problem.
    The team is smart, dedicated and passionate.

Cons

Work is intense, goals are demanding.
    Male-dominated higher management.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the team. Establish ambitious and acheivable goals

"Great company to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great meritocratic environment, therefore lots of career opportunities if you deliver
    - Insane learning curve
    - Freedom to shape the product and fulfil your ideas
    - Flat structure of the company - everyone works with everyone
    - Super complex and interesting field

Cons

Nothing major to put here, but perks probably could have been better compared to Big Tech

"Great opportunities to grow and do ground-breaking work"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in London, England
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're thinking of applying to Revolut, you should try to chat with a few people who work here now and not listen too much to the noise in the press based on a few disgruntled ex-employees. Every fast-growing startup has some growing pains, but since I joined there has been a concentrated effort in adapting from a young startup to a larger company (without losing its startup mentality). It's cool to be part of that journey and watch everyone grow, myself included, with the company. There's been a low turnover since I've joined and everyone I work with are really nice and passionate people. Some of the main 'pros' for me are:
    - High responsibility - The level of responsibility you can get at Revolut is years ahead of anywhere else.
    - Genuinely interest work - Many projects I am working on are pushing the boundaries of financial services and have never been done before.
    - Exciting workplace - Being part of a fast-growing company which is still at a relatively early stage before its done any international expansion outside Europe. There are big plans for the next few years which are exciting to be a part of.
    - Non-hierarchal structure. You are measured by the quality of your work not the years of experience. You are encouraged to suggest new ideas to people at the top.
    - Friendly colleagues - I get along well with everyone I work with and there is a good social aspect with regular Thursday/Friday drinks events

Cons

Sometimes things can be a little chaotic and some parts of your experience as an employee can lack a bit of structure. But this is much better than layers of bureaucracy and means that things are flexible and as long as you work for good people, its not really a problem.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward and concentrate on adapting the company to meet the needs of your employees as we grow larger.

"Great company"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- unlimited opportunities for growth;
    - open culture;
    - smart colleagues;
    - strong team spirit;

Cons

Very demanding company not for those who are used to "relaxed startup" atmosphere. Employees are ignited by the idea to change the global banking landscape and this requires full dedication and commitment to the company. In reality the company is as close as possible to it's stated values of "get things done". Forget about work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ C-level staff is reachable and extremely open
    + Employees are being valued by the things they helped company to achieve
    + No micromanagement
    + Highly performant and influencing colleagues
    + Fast-paced environment, literally you see the result of your efforts on a constant basis

Cons

- (minor) Some years ago there was much overtime, but otherwise we wouldn't be able to reach that we have for now, yet there are much things to do.

Advice to Management

Continue to make our 'corporate' culture matured =)
    It is getting more and more exciting to work for R over the time. This journey never gets boring and challenging all the way. Cheers )

Having some experience to work in a big corp, I may confidently say that Revolut is free of typical corporate BS, despite its tremendous growth, and I wish it never happen.
    Full speed ahead )

"I've grown so much..."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You'll be given endless freedom and autonomy in your role.

- Teams are very structured, focused and data driven.

- Such an entrepreneurial environment with huge development opportunities.

- The London HQ is always buzzing and full of life.

Cons

- You definitely work a bit longer than other places, but it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Definitely focus on scaling the culture the bigger we grow. No easy task.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Revolut full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loads of opportunities to develop and progress your career.

Cons

A fast moving culture means working here is a serious commitment, but the benefit of the experience gained far outweighs the time commitment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work.