Revolut Reviews

Updated 1 Jun 2020

3.3
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky

"Lack of psychological safety. Arrogant CEO who micromanages"

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary is above average but not competitive. Big tech companies easily outshine. No budget for learning and development if you want to go to conferences or attend online courses. You have to pay yourself No training programs for basic skills you need at work like SQL. Even though you are not hired in data you are expected to write SQL

Cons

The company claims in employer branding that it is a company that adopts agile development practices. Do not be fooled. This is not the case at all. You are in fact working for a traditional bank with outdated practices. They burn people out and produces products users hate. The CTO claims in internal playbooks that the company’s product teams are set up in accordance to XP (eXtreme Programming) values and values autonomy and frequent iteration. The company uses words like this to pretend they work in this way but they do not Instead of iterating based on user feedback (which they do not do often, only for small changes which people must make a lot of trouble about on social media) or data (they refuse to adopt platforms like MixPanel or Amplitude and decide to force everybody to query the SQL database directly), we ‘iterate’ based on CEO feedback. The CEO speaks on behalf of all our users. If he says it is bad UX, then it is. There is no data to back his claims. It is only in theory that engineers are empowered to follow best practices like test-driven development or designers to design for the user experience in mind. The CEO keeps telling POs to own their product but are not allowed to without micromanagement Every week, teams are given “feedback” in demo sessions and ‘product review sessions’ directly from the CEO. Developers have no time to write tests so the app is very buggy Such feedback is not very common for his role as CEO (he is not giving feedback about company direction or vision). Instead he gives feedback about minor details like how the screens look or how the illustrations look. He is so arrogant that he has argued with employees insisting his opinion is right Also, “founders associates” are hired to assist the CEO in micromanagement. They are like project managers who manage projects in the company with Excel spreadsheets and deadlines. Basically outdated practices that even some traditional banks no longer do it We also call everything an MVP even though it is not. The MVP has no hypothesis to test and is just a list of things the CEO wants. The CEO tells off POs if they try to test hypotheses. MVP to them is like a first deadline you must hit by working weekends if you have to even if you have kids to take care of. Nobody knows where the deadline comes from and is usually unrealistic because the CEO thinks people are not working hard enough I do not know how we can be a so called challenger bank as we are not challenging anything and working just like how the big banks do It would be good if the CEO’s micromanagement strategy works, but it doesn’t. He told the whole company few months ago that our app is failing to competition. Our product gets really terrible reviews on Trustpilot and on social media. Users always tell us we are making the app’s design worse but the CEO wants to do it his way, so designers have their hands tied Designers put features where users cannot find them. We also irresponsibly lock user accounts even though it is not required by law to be so careless with people’s money. The company doesn’t listen The CEO hasn’t changed his management style to one that is more startup and innovation friendly. None of the designers or POs I know have support to do proper user research. We are just operating like a factory that makes new features the CEO wants to copy from other apps The capable employees burn out and give up trying to do the right thing. Others tried to do things their own way instead of pleasing the CEO, and have been mysteriously sacked. Their Slack account would be deactivated hours later without warning It is extremely scary to work here. Please send help. The company does regular employee pulse surveys but also does not listen to feedback there. I have given accurate and actionable feedback in every survey in the hopes that the company’s leadership will listen, but they are not bothered to even acknowledge the problems. The problem seems to be with the CEO, who has an outdated idea of how to innovate or make products which makes him incapable of leading a challenger bank, whose product is at the core of the strategy which he constantly reminds us of. While the company has a competent CTO who understands this, he does not get his way.

Revolut2020-05-26

May 29, 2020

We’re really disappointed to hear that you’re not enjoying your experience with Revolut. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you’re unhappy about here but we would ask that you raise your concerns internally too. Please know that we take this kind of feedback very seriously and it will be passed on to people who can investigate the points you have made. We also take feedback about how our customers use our products very seriously and that is why we are looking constantly to innovate around providing new products and services and to learn from what our product owners and our millions of customers tell us. We do iterate based on what they tell us - and we’ll continue to do that.

"Rewarding but Demanding"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Associate in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership of a project Big impact on the company Great team Personal development

Cons

Too much work Long work hours

Revolut2020-04-29

May 1, 2020Stronger Together

Hey, thanks for your review! We like to hear that we're providing you with opportunities for personal development. We understand that there may be moments when you might need to dig deep to find that Never Settle spirit, but we appreciate your dedication. While the COVID-19 situation has changed our short-term business needs in terms of hiring, we are always looking to grow. We'll be sure to pass your feedback on so that it can help inform those decisions going forward.

"5 words review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

interesting greenfield projects to develop from scratch

Cons

aggressive corporate culture with the lack of work life balance

Revolut2020-04-28

May 1, 2020Stronger Together

Thanks for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience at Revolut. Our People team has been working on improving our company culture and constantly providing updates to our employees on what they're doing. This is an ongoing process, but we'll be passing your feedback on to them to help inform their work going forward.

"Worst management ever"

Current Employee - Product Owner in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

+ smart colleagues + great for learning and development

Cons

Senior management treats employees as mere numbers. CEO openly said managers should gladly let under-performers go during townhall and pointed out employees are being lazy when everyone in the company literally works all the time even during weekend. Good managers are those who can fire employees without a blink. Company recently introduced quarterly performance reviews so they have more opportunities to fire people. Management rules by intimidation. If employees don’t follow certain process or meet certain deadlines, their bonus will get deducted. Senior managements often openly harass employees, calling people idiots and micro manage every little aspects. Some employees are also being let go simply because they disobey orders from above. The remaining employees become too afraid to speak out and just work hard to satisfy requirements from senior management. You don’t get praise when doing a good job but imagine the worst when you screw up. Politics in the company drive teams to work against each other. Every team is too busy optimising their KPI without thinking long term. No resources nor support are provided for personal development. There are materials on HR portal for it but they are not useful at all. Climbing up career ladder in Revolut is a suicide mission. Avoid at all cost.

Revolut2020-05-06

May 22, 2020

Thank you for your honest feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know where you think we can improve. We take any claims of harassment extremely seriously and strongly urge you to speak to management and use the whistleblowing channels available so that these claims can be thoroughly and promptly investigated. Our senior management, from the CEO down, recognise the commitment of our employees and do so regularly at Town Halls and elsewhere. Even more so since the Covid19 outbreak. Quarterly performance reviews are common across many industries and give both management and employees a chance to honestly assess whether their work is on track, and provide an opportunity to offer support or coaching if needed, to help people achieve their goals. Where people have left after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance, where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. We train managers in performance management to ensure that assessment is fair and that employees understand their goals. Bonuses being linked to performance is a very common practice and we believe is a great incentive for our employees to meet their goals and KPIs. We are glad that you feel that you’re surrounded by fellow smart Revoluters, and that you are enjoying the learning and development opportunities at Revolut, and would ask you once again to speak to your manager about your pain points.

"Not recommended even if Revolut brand name big"

2.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good product Challenging and ambitious goals Great brand name

Cons

Very bad work culture Constant change in work strategy Unstable environment - hire as quickly as they fire without warning Very long hours (15hrs/day) + weekend

Revolut2020-04-02

April 28, 2020Stronger Together

Hey, thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We appreciate your honesty. Our People team has been actively working on improving our company culture, and ensuring that we're properly supporting all our management with a dedicated Management and Leadership Development Manager. This year, our strategy has had to adapt to certain business needs, but at the core of it, we're committed to creating the best possible product for our customers. While we've been in hypergrowth, there have been moments when we've asked some of our people to go the extra mile, but we try to support all our people to take care of their wellness as well as their work.

6. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior PM in London, England

I have been working at Revolut part-time

Pros

fun, kind, loving, fast paced, rewarding

Cons

busy, isolating, processes, business oriented,

Revolut2020-04-13

April 28, 2020Stronger Together

Hey, thanks for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your experience! We've made no secret of the fact that one of our core values is Stronger Together, so we're sorry to hear that you feel isolated at Revolut. We try to offer plenty of opportunities for Revoluters to socialise and get to know each other better - this should be your work family. Let us know if you have ideas for initiatives that we can implement to improve those relationships.

"Dire"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good Salaries - Great office space - Free Deliveroo

Cons

You only have to read some the most recent reviews to understand what it's like to work at Revolut. "A lot of good people around but culture is awful" "No work life balance, Management only cares about your works not you." "Top down micro management and unachievable targets" "Innovating company but complete wrong management" "Bad management, poor HR practices, would avoid" "Not recommended even if Revolut brand name big" There is no real autonomy to make a difference. Teams are not empowered to set and focus on longer term strategies. Senior leadership style is more of a dictatorship, with teams simply closing actions coming from the top. It's dire. Very open about company willingness to fire people with a '0% underperformance target by the end of 2020 at any cost' objective. General vibe is unfriendly and unsupportive. Glassdoor responses feel PR driven rather than respond to actual issues. You simply cannot sugar coat how the company acts. Yes, we may be building a rocket ship, but unless we develop a heart as a business, it's gonna crash.

Revolut2020-05-05

May 22, 2020

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to write this review, we do take these seriously and pass on all feedback to the appropriate people. Revolut’s performance review process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people have been let go after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. We feel that we’re an organisation where everyone’s ideas are respected, and that people have the autonomy and support to be able to pursue those ideas, so it’s disappointing that this hasn’t been your experience so far with us. We would urge you to escalate this to anyone in management you feel you can speak to. Thanks again for your recommendations, please know that they will be passed on.

"No work life balance, Management only cares about your works not you."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Competitive salary/benefits - Talented people. - Some nice perks

Cons

- A lot of pressure going on in engineer area. - Developers are blame each others when someone accidentally break the dev environment/branch making them feels shame, rather than helping and stop blaming in the chat group. - No mistake are acceptable, if you are good in everything -> you got only 50% performance review (which is meets expectation). They raise the employee standard, but lack of engineering process and good culture. (They expect all of you to be "above" expectation) - No work life balance/ everyone works like 10+ hours a day to "Get things done". They was no real task estimation, product side are very keen to push their product because they are racing each others to proof them self and to showing off to their CEOs. Most of people left because of that. - They're doing task demo every 1-2 weeks and gather all developer (100+ people more) to watch what every teams are doing. Which is not necessary anymore when the company have more than 100+ people in tech team. It's kinda wasting time and I don't think everyone can remembered what is going on. - They was no engineering manager position which can solve and made a decision in some technical side, as a developer you will report to product owner in your team (Which is very bad, some of product owner doesn't even care about engineering process, they just want to "Get things done"). You also have functional manager (Which is some developer who have more seniority) But they can only help you in some advices for implementation. - They used to have QA department, which is good, because if your team & product are get bigger they should have some one who creating & responsible in quality assurance. But then they decided to collapsed it because they think focus on "pushing" features are more important. - Since there is no QA department, sometimes you & your team will got assigned to some bugs and complaints directly - Not so friendly environment, when everyone still working in the office, no one talking to you if they don't want some answer that related to works, (Because they have a lot of workloads and try to "get things done"). Some people are going have a lunch together, but that's all. - Even after all of the above complaints, CEOs and top management still saying that since the company get bigger, we are start to get lazy (What?!, everyone needs to work long hour for you guys everyday to be enough?) - Rather than try to encourage/help and give a constructive feedback to employee that underperform in some point. They probably fired you because they don't have time for that, they wants to "get things done"

Revolut2020-05-01

May 22, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Revolut. We appreciate you letting us know how you feel it could be better and we’d like to address a few of the points you made. Regarding performance reviews, the process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people leave after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. The purpose of having a line manager as well as a functional manager is that one is task and programme oriented and one an expert in skillsets who can help with realistic expectations and measures. This offers a double-pronged approach to development, learning and progression. If you feel this isn’t working with you, we’d strongly recommend getting together with both of your managers and work out how you might use the structure more to your advantage. Regarding the atmosphere in the office, as a company that has grown quickly, we’ve placed a big emphasis on making sure that our offices are friendly, warm and inclusive for everyone, and feel our workplace experience team and guilds do an excellent job in bringing our people together, both in a work and social context. We’re sorry that you haven’t felt that this has been the case for you so far. We are pleased that you’re satisfied with some important areas such as salary, benefits, perks and of course the people you’re surrounded by, and we’ll ensure that your thorough feedback is passed on.

"Top down micro management and unachievable targets"

Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You get to work with good talent

Cons

- With Covid 19, higher pressure for delivery can be seen in every team. It seems as if the company wants people to leave in this worst time. - Zero work-life balances. Working on both Saturday and Sunday is perceived as a normal standard. - Top-down micro-management in many teams. Most of my colleagues are extremely frustrated of this.

Revolut2020-04-29

May 1, 2020Stronger Together

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your experience. We've been working on providing more support for our managers, including creating a Leadership and Management Guild, and building targeted training courses led by our Management and Leadership Development Manager. We'll be sure to pass your feedback on to our Learning and Development team so that they integrate this into their future training planning.

"Cool product, WORST culture"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool product that is used by millions. Exciting and fast-pace

Cons

Poor management style. Moral compass is really off. I've seen people being fired with little communication or warning. Overpromised the role n scope when hiring. Unclear, ever-changing direction (normal for startups but pls don't change every week). Do not treat ppl as human but some machine/resource. Zero care.

Revolut2020-05-04

May 29, 2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your feedback. Employee experience is a big focus for us, and we’re looking at ways that we can improve that and ensure that roles are scoped and communicated properly. Please know that we’ll pass your feedback on to our recruitment team. That being said, we are in a hyper growth phase and in a hyper competitive sector, meaning that we do often have to pivot to the needs of our customers, and we will always need to do this. As you observe we’re a relatively young business and one that has grown super fast and that means things do change quickly. We’re trying to ensure that we have good tools and mechanisms in place to keep people informed right across the business and give everyone the opportunity to hear from our leadership directly about our business priorities. Do please feed back on our internal channels with any suggestions you have. We really do welcome them and act on criticism as well as praise. We support our managers with our Management and Leadership Guild and our Learning and Development team is creating programmes to ensure to help get the best out of our management at all times. Our performance review process includes time for informal and formal check ins. Where people have been let go after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance. Where people have been asked to leave the business for underperformance we aim to do this with care and sensitivity. It’s great to know that you’re enjoying working on our product and making an impact on the lives of our customers, and we hope that you feel able to escalate some of your concerns to your manager, or through our internal channels.

Found 165 reviews