Revolut Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 1 Mar 2021

3.2
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
  1. "Experience after one year in company"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is still feels like a startup. Internal processes are not perfectly polished, but there is so many interesting projects to get involved, so for me it's a perfect place to grow.

Cons

It slowly becomes a "bank" with additional layers bureaucracy

2. COVID-19

"Opportunity to grow your tech skills but you will not enjoy it"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ exceptionally technically strong engineering team, you can learn a lot + scalability challenges to solve + international experience with business travel between offices (pre-covid) + competitive salary + some teams have a lot of greenfield projects

Cons

- engineer's career growth depends highly on CTO's personal decisions, process is unclear - management (C-level) is pushing their ways of doing things, employee's opinion does not matter much - if you're unlucky you might get moved a lot between teams (and line managers) - in some (not all) teams PO/LM is pushing tasks without considering team's capacity so either you need to overtime or push back and get low performance scores - retention is low, nobody cares about whether you enjoy or not your work until you decide to leave - stock option bonuses are not really that good - there is no clarity on when and how much of those you'll be able to actually sell and company almost deliberately makes it hard/unclear for employees to sell their shares - performance review process is still unclear and is constantly being changed - work life balance highly depends on the team and LM but overall is low in the company - management is always trying to push for extra KPIs regardless of limited resources

Continue reading

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Python Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very strong, innovative and fast growth company, a lot of work to do and things to learn, surrounded by very smart and hard working people

Cons

You need to be ready for the load of work and ambitious expectations and deadlines, so this is not a company that can suit everyone

Continue reading
  4. "top"

Current Freelancer - Software Engineer

I have been working at Revolut

Pros

top staff and management at the company

Cons

long working hours depending on the team

January 14, 2021

We're glad to hear you're enjoying your experience with us. Our software engineering departments have so many exciting projects to work on, and we hope you continue growing with us. Thank you for what you do!

"The worst job I've ever had"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ok pay compared in London, I like the product as a user

Cons

- Product managers are in a constant state of panic, nobody cares what you implement as long as it goes to production as soon as possible. - People are not friendly, I hated having meetings with my own team. - Tech is in a horrible shape, the ci pipeline can break for DAYS, but you still have deadlines to catch, so go figure lol. - There is no real test environment, only staging which can only have the latest master, this means that you ship things to production without actually seeing them running anywhere else, now I like automated tests as much as the next guy, but I still want to see my code running somewhere. - Finally I must mention, that I quit this job before landing the next one, I actually did not want to do interviews while being this stressed at work.

6. "Awesome place to work for skilled motivated people"

Current Employee - Senior Backend Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

- ability to build amazing products - focus on success - team of practical proactive professionals - chance to be on boat which sailing to success - always beating goal, and creating next one much higher

Cons

- will not feets for people who try to do routine tasks, without doing extra mile, just to getting good salary without efforts

October 28, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate it. We're glad you're enjoying your time with us, keep up the great work!

"Great company to work for"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior IOS Developer in London, England

I worked at Revolut full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment and friendly team members

Cons

None that I can think of

September 29, 2020

Thanks for letting us know about your Revolut experience, we're so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. All the best in your next role!

8. "Startup turning into corporation"

Current Employee - Web Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Interesting people - Salary - Hire around the world

Cons

- Company focused on delivery next feature / design instead on improving what they already have - Work & life balance - Authoritarian CEO

November 25, 2020

Thank you for your review, and for appreciating that we hire the best so our Revoluters can work with the most talented people in the world. Revolut wants to reinvent how the world does money. We want to deliver great things for our customers and that ambition to get things done quickly can sometimes be challenging. At the same time we want everyone to enjoy working at Revolut and to achieve a good work/life balance. Please watch out for advice and tips from HR and Workplace Experience on how to achieve that and do reach out to your manager if you are struggling. We hope you continue to stay the course as part of our Revolut story.

"Fear-driven culture, risk of mental health issues, under-appreciation"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Revolut full-time

Pros

If you turn a blind eye to all the cons and agree to sacrifice your life/work balance and work long hours in a very harsh atmosphere, then you can be promoted quite fast. Good work-from-home policy.

Cons

The culture is very toxic and fear-driven. An employee might be fired without any meaningful explanations the next day after discussing plans for the next few months with his/her manager. Due to high stress at work, from time to time I have sleep disturbances. The most severe one lasted a whole week and eventually resulted in me calling an ambulance. Everyone's obsessed with KPIs, not the real quality of deliverables. Projects are often badly scoped. As an engineer, you're just a "resource" that might be deployed to any project at any time without even asking you. Working long hours is encouraged by the company's culture, although not compulsory. If you're perfect at everything (speed, quality, etc), you'll reach only the "Intermediate" level at a performance review. To get a higher score, you'll need to seriously sacrifice your life/work balance.

August 10, 2020

Reply: Hi there, thank-you for leaving a review. We take all reviews very seriously. We’re sorry to hear of your recent experience. It is very concerning to us as we take out people’s well-being very seriously. We’d be grateful if you’d please contact the HR team or, if you’re not sure who to talk to, just email HR@revolut.com so that we can help. Your work should never affect your health, and we have support available for you. We’d like to address a few of the other points you raise. To reassure you, our performance reviews follow a strict process, and no one is ever let go without a formal review and discussion of performance. We are ambitious as a business but we don’t want that to provoke stress in our people, and we’re working hard to improve how we motivate and support our colleagues. Just to reiterate, there is support for you here at Revolut and your work should never affect your health. Please reach out to HR or your manager so we can improve your experience as soon as possible.

"I like working here"

Current Employee - Android Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Revolut full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, interesting tasks, great opportunity to grow

Cons

It is still a startup

June 11, 2020

Hi there, Thanks so much for taking this opportunity to let us and others know that you're enjoying your time at Revolut, we're happy to have you! Best of luck in the rest of your Revolut adventure.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 English Reviews