Revolut Employee Reviews about "no one"

Updated Dec 15, 2020

Found 19 of over 623 reviews

3.5
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
Pros
  • "Fast paced environment where you can see your impact from very start(in 22 reviews)

• "You get to be surrounded by smart people(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent(in 37 reviews)

• "no one really cares for product stuff)(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "no one"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Engineering at Revolut

Sep 7, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am writing this review as I believe the current positive and negative reviews are not helpful and potentially misleading. First of all, the company is growing at the speed I have never experienced before. You need to understand this and count this in when making any decision. Most of the cons and pros described below are coming from fast growth. Because of growth an rapid changes, my review probably should be considered outdated within a year. Second of all, most of the people in the company are incredibly motivated, passionate, smart, polite and pleasant to work with, but relatively young and inexperienced. This is slowly changing as the company matures. Third of all, there is indeed very small amount of processes and bureaucracy in the company, which is again is great and frustrating at the same time. What I consider the main pros here: - Revolut has a unique and addictive spirit of freedom, being part of something world-changing and understanding of your personal mission within the company. There are many things you can take over and improve. You also have full freedom to act smart and design something in the best way. Often you will have to create something that was never done before ever (this is partially why being smart is sometimes more valued than being experienced here). No one will stop you - there are more things to do then people. If you will demonstrate the ability to improve things, you will be given all resources to grow. - Exposure to business. Everything is transparent here, and you get to know a lot of people and understand their daily job. Very good for understanding how a growing startup works and a must if you are thinking of making a company in the future. - Multiple office locations. Sometimes mentioned in the cons, but I like this feeling of globality. Working remotely is not discouraged - after all, Revolut is made for travelers. - Colleagues. They are nice and smart. I don't notice competitiveness.

Cons

- Long working hours are often mentioned here among the cons. Even though if no one is forcing you to stay after 6 pm, people indeed often end up working late. There are two main reasons for this: 1) many things are disrupted by growth and are disorganized and 2) working is addictive when it is causing a big impact. Working long hours is respected and valued and is not expected by default. Same relates to working at weekends. - Rudeness and ignorance. This is entirely not true for the majority of the company, especially engineering. There are some teams with the aggressive and provocative culture which is a must in their daily job, but logical reasoning and common sense are respected and valued universally on all levels. Also, do not confuse rudeness with trader mentality. - Chaos and frustration. This is somehow true and I believe the reason is rapid growth. The code base is very solid and reliable though. TDD is a must. Generally speaking, things have improved massively over the last years and are on the right path. - benefits. Compared to Facebook, Google, etc, they are indeed very insignificant. Same with salaries - they are not low, but some companies offer more. Yet still, we have applicants from those companies. I would not advise you working for Revolut if you find it easier to work with a pre-defined set of responsibilities. You will be frequently getting out of your comfort zone and doing things you never did before. It is also possible you might burn out - work is addictive and no one will stop you, but neither you will be pushed. To sum up, you have to choose between chaotic but exciting and boring, but established. Revolut is the first.

37 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0

Omnishambles From Day 1

Dec 15, 2020 - FinCrime Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice colleagues, free cereal in office, and..?

Cons

As it was a new team being created in my interview they couldn't really tell me what I'd be doing. But fine, I took a leap of faith given it was a exciting company rapidly expanding. Day 1 - I was asked whether I could go to Leeds for a week. Nothing about travel was mentioned before getting the job. I have a child I need to look after with my wife. Also there was an expectation to soon travel to Poland for a week. I agreed, then the day before the Leeds trip, as nothing had been communicated to me (train tickets, accommodation) I asked my manager what's happening. She said you're no longer going. Great. Thanks for the heads up. I've made childcare plans but fine. I never really knew what I was supposed to be doing and what I was doing was pretty boring. Training was pretty much non existent. Also, my 'manager' I found wasn't actually my manager but someone who had their own role who was just looking after the team. So I had no real idea what I or my team was doing or what it's goal was - even after asking. KPIs... they were making them up as they went along as it was a new team. So i had no idea what i needed to do to pass it. Again I asked but no one knew. My 'manager' went AWOL after about 4 weeks of me joining & never returned. Wasn't told why. Team then really rudderless. Then lockdown hit. I together with my working wife had to look after our child as nurseries were shut. This massively impacted the amount of work I could do as I was obviously sharing childcare. This meant I couldn't hit whatever the KPIs were. I explained this to my new manager who said yes it must be difficult, but again next week asked why I hadn't hit targets, I explained because of childcare & round in circles we went. Basically Revolut didn't care about that - I needed to hit targets no matter what. In the end they made my who team redundant and said it was nothing to do with Covid. The decision was made before Covid. So why was I hired then because I joined just before Covid hit??? Blatent lie by Revolut who didn't want a bad rep by making people redundant during the crisis. Overall, in my experience, this was a company that didn't really know what it was doing and was making it up as it went along. If people (like me) lost their jobs along the way then so be it.

40 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your time at Revolut, and we're sorry you had such a negative experience with us. It's clear that we communicated badly on the Leeds trip and we're sorry for that - it falls short of the considerate management we expect. We have reminded that team to improve communication and planning of such trips and to consider and respect family commitments. The way we work is very KPI-driven. This way of working has enabled Revolut to grow tremendously in a short span of time and enables us all to understand our goals and objectives and the part we each play in realising them. We have however recognised that lock down has been difficult for people with family responsibilities and have tried to accommodate these difficulties through our flexible work approach. While we recognise that the way we work isn't for everyone, we don't want this to result in negative experiences for our people. Unfortunately, like many businesses Revolut did have to make a small number of COVID-19 related redundancies after exploring all other options and alongside a major cost reduction programme across the business. We very much regret the effect this had on people who left our business. We wish you the best in your career, and hope your family will soon get to live and play in a safe, post-pandemic environment.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Equivalent to Hunger Games now. Avoid like plague.

Jul 9, 2020 - Anonymous in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues (But who are all suffering in there with you now and utterly overworked, 80% who are probably clinically depressed and anxious, on the brink of mental breakdown and only hanging on to their jobs until the pandemic is over so they can pay their bills)

Cons

Revolut is currently akin to Hunger Games where as an employee, you find yourself wondering and hoping that the ‘odds will be with you’. It currently doesn’t matter if you are a high performing individual who values human decency, be prepared to have your head on the guillotine. Yes. Revolut currently reminds me of medieval Europe, with the CEO wielding the axe, and you just waiting for when your name will be called up and your head to be on the chopping board in the middle of a pandemic. A description as above merits a full explanation and a bit of history. As someone who has been with Revolut almost two years, I think I have a good overview and insights to this whole traumatic debacle of a company. Yes, the horror stories of Revolut you read in the media and the reviews you see here are all true. Being female, I knew that joining Revolut was going to be tough. I didn’t realise it was going to be hell. In late 2018 to early 2019, the culture was already cut throat. If you were female and didn’t break down and cry that month, that was a great month for you. I have had female colleagues who cried every day the first week they joined. Me myself? There were so many times I found myself crying in the office toilets, something I have never done in my career before. I had expletives yelled at me in public. I was told my work was stupid or dumb as ...... In Feb 2019, the first Wired article broke out and that hit the company badly. Customers were threatening to cut up their cards and media backlash was spiraling. The CEO realised he had to do something. The people team was expanded, and they tried to put in place better processes and improve culture overall. It was a great effort by those involved but with complete lack of buy-in from the CEO and his right-hand man. In the meantime, Revolut was still in its hyper-growth mentality. All leads were pressured to hire and grow headcount. Heads of departments were told by the CEO that if they didn’t spend 50% of their time on hiring, they were not doing their jobs. As the second half of the 2019 went by, the company started to become bloated and many of the newer joiners were starting to get more complacent (by complacent, I mean leaving at 5pm-6pm which is a big no-no). Then, funding round came. With the IPO failures of both Uber and Wework, investors were now hyper-obsessed with profitability. Gone were the days where success of a startup was by their number of users. Suddenly, Revolut found itself being scrutinised left right center on how they would actually turn a profit. The game was changing. Back from vacation in Jan 2020, the CEO decided to crack his whip and get the complacent company in shape. Everyone who was underperforming were fired without warnings. I would call that the first wave of the culling. Performance reviews were changes from every 6 months to every 3. Suddenly, you only had 3 months to hit your KPIs. New joiners were told on their first day they joined that HR’s KPI was to ensure there were no underperformers (ie, you don’t hit your KPIs, you’re fired.) The second culling came after the first quarter, with yet more heads being axed if they were not performing. And then the pandemic got under way. The company was desperate to cut its headcount and so they started targeting people who were performing but were not directly helping the company make money. I would say that hundreds across the company got axed including a huge amount from the London headquarters. Not all made it to the official number of redundancies which was at 60+ because the company was obsessed with trying to downplay it’s official numbers so to look better compared to Monzo and Starling. Many people were forced to resign, or were told they were being let go for “underperformance.” As in the UK if your tenure is below 2 years, you are not entitled to get due process for your firing for underperformance, the company exploited this legal loophole to fire many people. There were many international employees, many who upended their lives, suddenly finding themselves thrown out on the streets by Revolut without a job, barely anytime left on their visas and virtually no flights back home to their home countries IN THE MIDDLE OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. Revolut expected their employees to give their all to the company and demanded that, yet had no qualms deserting these very people they demanded loyalty from during the pandemic. Those left in Revolut now suddenly found themselves having to take on the the jobs and KPIs of the people fired along with their crazy amount, and to achieve them or be fired themselves. Heads and team leads, who would rather resign, are so fearful that if they leave, there would be no one to protect their team, are working themselves to death because they are told if their team does not achieve the team KPI, headcount will be cut. The CEO has basically used the pandemic to drive fear within the employees and hold their livelihoods and feed themselves and family at ransom, in exchange for working conditions bordering ghastly human exploitation. Please avoid like plague. Don't leave a cushy secure job now only to join Revolut and then be fired within 2/3 months (without probation not renewed). Their modus operandi for firing you will be giving you the excuse you 'underperformed', and then you're left stranded in the middle of a pandemic with no job. [True story: has happened to countless colleagues who left good jobs only to be forced out of Revolut 3 months in.]

89 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

We’re very sorry to hear of your experience although we don’t recognise the picture you depict. It’s a great shame that things aren’t working out for you and we realise that Revolut may not be the right fit for everyone. We’re trying to do things that haven’t been done before, and this does require a lot from our people but we never want our ambition and determination to have a negative impact on our employees. We do our best to communicate clearly but positively so that we all understand our goals. We’re working to ensure leadership communication is effective and motivating. We are still a young business that has grown tremendously quickly to meet the needs of our customers, and we’d ask that you use the internal feedback channels so we can work to improve your experience.

4. 1.0

Do not join this organisation: Mental Health Issues

Jul 13, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Product - Remote work from home policy - Cool offices with good facilities

Cons

- Micromanagement: Everything is driven by Nik (at an all hands he said the way to grow successful companies is Micromanage everyone) - You make a mistake you get fired, there are a lot of people that just disappear with no communication or update from senior management, just rumours that they were fired. - If Nik likes you, you are safe if not avoid any meetings with him otherwise he will just bully you in front of everyone. - Limited thought process to customers its very much focussed on making money at all costs - No care for people, the bedrock of the company, you are expected to work 15+ hours a day if you don't then you are not an A-Player. - Everything is process focussed, however its a Nik process focussed that fundamentally means not a process at all its whatever he wants. - Everyone is just Nik's yes man and too fearful to question or push back - Culture is non-existent in this place, its one built on bullying and fear of losing your job to get results nothing else. - FAs (Founder Associates) - are Nik's minions and run the company, no one in the organisation understands their role or value (all 21 with no work experience yet will often build processes and procedures that the hired experts disagree with yet no one ever listens to the experts. - Meetings with Nik and FA's are often all pre-planned, he will ask them their thoughts, which surprise surprise aligns with his, after which you discuss with the FA and they then agree with you but won't question Nik. - Too much focussed on KPIs that add little value to overall goals or even your role, as long as they trend upwards Nik is happy. - No clear strategy for the business apart from being super app (whatever that means!?)

62 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate you taking the time. You won’t be surprised to hear that we disagree with some of your views. We are proud of our talented and often inspiring leadership. We also work hard to create products that our customers will use and love and we hugely value the contribution every Revoluter makes to delivering them. We believe that a culture of mutual respect and civility is important and try to instil these values throughout the organisation. That said, we are ambitious and we want to be able to be honest and direct in our feedback to each other to achieve the best results we can for our customers. We encourage leaders and managers to ensure that their feedback is constructive and not personal and we’ll continue to make this a priority. We’re want to make sure that Revolut is a place where A-players want to stay for a long time and we know that perhaps our enthusiasm to build a financial superApp can run away with us. We want to create a culture where all our people feel great coming to work and being part of Revolut. We’ll be sure to pass on your feedback and we hope, in the months to come, that we can change your impression as it’s great to see you’re enjoying some really important aspects of your role at Revolut. Lastly, as you’re a current employee, we’d strongly urge you to please fill in the weekly pulse surveys that are sent to you, so we can look at what changes need to be made at an organisational, departmental, and team level.

5. 1.0

Never work at Revolut

Jun 9, 2020 - Product Owner in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation is pretty in the market

Cons

To be honest, it's the worst company I've ever worked for. Never work here, you will have only regrets and stress. Company and founders don't understand product, technology and good culture at all. You won't be doing product. It's digital transformation company: - 100% top-down company, all design, roadmap, etc. decisions are made by Nikolay Storonsky. You will be only in charge of execution/project management. He is reviewing every new screen and epic every week with every team (Revolut has 50+ teams). All middle managers are just proxies, no decisions, no their own opinions and easily blow you in back. - Not product way of thinking at all, in a year I haven't seen any team made user research and A/B test. All development is done in an absolutely blind way, guided by the supervision of Nikolay. Moreover, all these instruments are prohibited and replace with "thinking deeper" value that means just sit and think a lot. Nikolay personally hates these methods and several times told me that it's for idiots. - The short-sighted, company mostly focused on small improvements that can be done in 1-2 week otherwise it's too much risk and should be cancelled. - Every two weeks you will have a review with your functional manager who will be checking Jira epics and Figmas to verify that you have enough words there, structure, etc. (no one really cares for product stuff) - Did you say strategy? These guys don't have any understanding of their client, such as personas, segments, key pain points, etc. - Never ever question Nik's opinions and decisions! He is always right, otherwise, you are fired immediately. Stronger together!!! That's super sad because there are so many good and shiny managers fooled and hired from cool companies that struggling with topics above and leaving. During interviews, people and recruiters will tell you and even test you on the product skills above but it will last time you will ever use it. From technology and quality perspective company is messy as well: - There are no QA engineers and that's could be ok if you have autotests but Revolut mostly doesn't have it. They do have it only for backend and no one care for web and apps. All QA work is on PO shoulders. Yes yes yes, you will be doing here QA and project management but not product work. And as you can imagine PO doesn't have time and nobody QA it at all. - CTO, Vlad is really obsessed about reviews, reports and can't handle any feedback, the same as Nikolay. Every two weeks you would be measured against 10-15 parameters (most of them are really stupid) and you can't question any decision and situation (such people usually immediately fired). All of this lead to fear of punishment, making mistake - developers producing a lot of small crappy improvements to minimise their risk. - Most of the codebase written in rush by students, so it's really buggy and re-inventing existing technologies and frameworks messily. As you can understand, it isn't a modern stack and very hard learning curve. Based on the information above it's pretty clear that you won't be trusted and company culture is very toxic. They call it A-players or champions. We should hire and retain only them. In practice, Revolut fires everyone who is average or below it - you should be excellent. Last mid review we were told that we doing just feedback sessions. All this information was used to fire people immediately, even with average feedback. Most of the senior managers are just kids, doing that they were told. It's their first job, their working here for 2-3 years and haven't ever seen how good job should look like. So, you will have a fun time.

42 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for your review, we’d like to address some of the points you’ve raised. There are channels for you to escalate some of your complaints, and we’d urge you to speak to management so that they can address some of your concerns, especially around ways of working. However, we do have robust A/B systems in place as well as research, and these are personalised according to each Product Owner’s approach. We’d ask that you to escalate this and ensure you’re getting the help you need to put these in place. Your functional manager is the expert in your field who should help you to develop your skills further. We’re sorry to hear that you don’t feel that you’re getting the support you need in your regular meetings. We’d ask that you speak to HR or your line manager if you feel that you’re not getting the support you need. We’re also working on various ways to improve feedback in performance reviews, announced recently in our town hall. Revolut’s performance review process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people have been let go after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. We take any claims of unfair dismissal really seriously, and dispute that someone would be let go on the grounds of disagreeing with anyone. We do recognise that we’re a relatively new company, and we still have some growing to do in terms of culture and management. Please know that your feedback on this matter is being taken into account and will be sent on. Lastly, we’re proud of our leadership and their drive and determination to build a financial superApp that makes life easier for all our customers. Maybe, as in other startups, our enthusiasm sometimes runs away with us - so we’ll take your comments on board. Thank you.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't be a moth, this shiny company will burn you

Jun 6, 2020 - Python Software Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The salary and the perks are very good. They have someone in charge of inclusion of diversity. Engineers have a lot of autonomy.

Cons

One of the fundamental problem of Revolut engineering ironically lies in the mantra plastered all around office walls and chats: "get it done". Those 3 words have become an excuse to cut all the corners and take all the shortcuts. That results in a massive technical debt and huge security gaps that no-one is trying to resolve. Most engineers are constantly creating new systems under the immense pressure of tight KPIs. These KPIs are now for every quarter, and failure to perform will always be seen as an individual's fault and never as a structural problem. People are under the constant fear of getting fired, or in the best case just stressed and overworked. Technical recruitment has been made under the terrible assumption that any programmer knows or can learn system design or infrastructure. In reality, only a handful of people are taking care of it, so they spend all their time firefighting instead of improving things, which in turn results to a big turnover. The CTO does not seem to be cut out for the job. He micro-manages individual projects, but completely ignores vast parts of engineering. He takes decisions alone, does not listen, and will never change his mind once set. He will not acknowledge things he does not understand. He is arrogant and patronizing. There is no middle management: just team leads and senior figures. Because of that teams have no coordination, sometimes doing the same work twice or heading into completely different directions, or having mismatched expectations from each other. Developers don't have the right tools to work with. For instance, the company uses bitbucket and teamcity, which are a daily waste of time because of lack of features and frequent outages. Everyone frequently complains about it, but the issue hasn't even been acknowledged by senior management. Even though someone is in charge of inclusion and diversity, and they claim to be against harassment and bullying, it's just for show. People with hurtful behaviour are promoted or left to senior positions. Finally, just look at the Wired articles about Revolut. Everything you'll read is true.

41 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, we really do appreciate it. Regarding tools, we would always encourage employees to report when they don’t have the tools that they feel they need. Any CI in a big company is going to have some form of delay, and slow builds are something we are actively working to improve. In terms of recruitment, we hire people who are able to design systems that can be scaled with the growth of our business. While this isn’t a daily task, it is important as we continue to grow and we feel that we’re quite clear about this in the hiring process. We are continuously reviewing our KPI process. We feel it’s important that both individual and team KPIs feed into the business KPIs, to ensure we’re aligned on strategy and reaching for the same goals on a quarterly basis so that we can regularly readdress our priorities. Regarding some of the culture aspects you mention, we never condone bullying and would ask anyone who witnesses this behaviour to report it to their manager or or HR. We recognise that we can always improve management processes and skills, and are actively working on ways to do so across the company. We’re sorry that you didn’t have a better experience at Revolut, and wish you the very best of luck for the future.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Lack of experienced management leads to bad decisions and culture

Jun 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will work with smart people. You will work on projects that impact millions of customers. The product is a great product.

Cons

Each team has progress check ins with the CEO each week. You have a very short period of time to convince the CEO that your idea and designs are the best solution. Most of the time, he already has a solution in mind and if your solution does not match with his exactly, you will be publicly called an "idiot" or "stupid" and he will threaten to replace you with "someone who can do this right" without explaining what you did wrong. The CEO does not have time to fully understand the problem and yet he makes every decision for you, down to button colours in your design. This results in suboptimal decision making and then teams release features that customers do not like or use. There is no customer problem focused decision making. Every decision is made based on how much money we can make as a company. Testing and customer research is actively discouraged and if you run an experiment such as an A/B test, you will be considered “stupid” for not being able to use your own brain to determine the optimal outcome. There is no testing to measure the result of each decision made so it is assumed that each decision made by the CEO was successful. Product leaders in the company do not have adequate product and leadership experience at other companies prior to joining Revolut. They are promoted from within for being loyal and staying at the company for years. The result is that the product leaders do not know how to create company level roadmaps and do not know how to properly prioritise projects and resources. Each team is only aware of their own priorities and only have a limited idea for how it compares to the company goals. Product owners with limited or no product experience have no one to learn from and cannot grow their skills, especially with consistent crazy deadlines to hit. Since there are no clear company roadmap and goals, priorities change on a weekly basis. Your own impactful ideas get moved down the backlog and you consistently have 5-10 people asking for different things from you. The "get it done" culture expects you to complete everything immediately. This is obviously impossible. The result is that you prioritise the tasks that belong to people who chase you the most. Other people expect you to drop everything you are working on to work on their problem. If you do not prioritise it, they will include you in slack messages with a senior leader from their team who does not understand your other priorities and will force you to complete their specific task. The chase culture here is intense. It is impossible to actually prioritise the most impactful items your team can work on. Every team becomes an execution team and no one has time or opportunity to come up with their own ideas. Most people here believe in the product and want Revolut to succeed. The unfortunate reality is that the constant priority shifting, lack of product thinking and threats to replace everyone demoralises all the employees. Most people are not motivated to their best work and people are quitting every week. I understand the frustration that the CEO must be feeling. He expects each team to come up with creative ideas and innovate but each team is so busy with hitting their KPIs that they do not have time to think and do customer research. There are no leaders who are pushing for change since we have realised that questioning the CEO's decisions is not worth losing your job over. As a result, the CEO does not see innovative work from the teams and thinks they are not capable. The team then gets replaced and the whole cycle starts over again.

22 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We’re glad to see that you’re enjoying aspects of your work, like the product and the people around you. You raise some good points that we’ll pass on, but we’d also ask that you complete our weekly internal surveys and escalate your concerns internally so that we can address the specific concerns within your team. We’d argue we have a high degree of customer focus and indeed that it’s informed our business and product development to date. We constantly aim to push the boundaries of what our customers should expect from us. It’s true too that our CEO is highly focused on how we develop products and services and we value that leadership. Like many startups at our stage, we accept that perhaps our enthusiasm to build a financial superApp can run away with us. We do expect everyone to respect their colleagues and we’ll continue to reinforce that and take your other comments on board.

8. 1.0

Do not work in Revolut. Ever

Jun 16, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Good product -Well-known brand -Catchy CV line -Smart people around you (in general) -OK perks (free food, drinks, taxis, etc) -In general interesting job content

Cons

Frankly, there are so many problems, it is hard to summarise it all, but let me try to organise them from a higher/company level to a more niche/functional. CULTURE - Toxic and worst I ever saw. Very political, super hierarchical. It is not a startup, but huge corporate machine. - There were few comments below about favoritism, it is true - if you are a friend of CEO/SVP Revenue/Head of Legal - you have a chance in this company. If god forbid you tell those guys truth in their face - you can just leave the next day, your life in Revolut will be miserable. - Revolut is a company of one man, and nobody inside are able to stand up against CEO's opinion or decisions even though when everybody in the room understand he tells BS. - Culture is a fear driven, people are scared to be fired, and in the most recent environment and lack of job options elsewhere that results in the fact that most folks just conform with the stupidity and nonsense that is going on inside. COMPANY You may hear a lot from recruitment teams and hiring managers, but just know one thing - they lie. They are desperate to hit their recruitment KPIs which they are measured on, hence they have full incentive to tell you whatsoever, to make sure you sign the contract. Keeping you in the company is a problem and KPI of HR team, hence Recruitment dont care. People development is not a company priority, really. Most probably, L&D person will respond to my review and explain everything is different - but trust me, no one cares about your growth in this company. This is what you will get in Revolut: - Nobody cares about your development - Nobody cares about your wellbeing - Nobody cares about your health (especially mental because it will be brought to extreme edge) - Nobody cares about you. You are just a resource for CEO/Revolut to get from point A to point B. Once you hit your own limit (and you will, in many cases not because of your professional limitations but due to unreasonable targets that are being increased every 3 months without and proper logic behind it), you will be considered as redundant and get fired. - People are being fired in 1 day. On all levels. You met with your manager yesterday, discussed long term plans and how you will organise the work in the next 2-3 months, and the next thing you know, her/his account is deactivated next morning and unless you exchange phone numbers, you will never hear from this person ever again. FUNCTION - Reading articles on Wired, you may have noticed departure of 2 CFO, 1 deputy CFO and 1 Head of Finance over 1.5 years. Churn in Finance leadership is worse than in customer support organisation. - As a result, finance function is one big problem in Revolut, company doesn't even know how much cash they are burning every month. Instead of relying on accounting function and proper reporting tools, in a typical for Revolut manner they diverted group of developers to build another in-house half-baked solution to prepare financial results for the company which are being considered as 100% correct. - Accounting team is severely understaffed. My team mates were suffocating with the amount of work load and information to process, working for 14-16 hours a day and in the end either fired or considered as underperforming. I heard CEO saying at the finance function-wide meeting: "You are just an accountant". This is the attitude you are going to get if you hold ACCA, multi-years in Big4 and join this company. I feel I didnt express enough but I hope this should warn some bright people and prevent them from joining this filthy institution. While I have met some fo the smartest people in the world here, I warn future stars to not choose to work in Revolut. I think only this kind of market boycott will make the leadership think about how much they value employees as humans and not human resources.

14 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

No work life balance, Management only cares about your works not you.

May 1, 2020 - Software Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Competitive salary/benefits - Talented people. - Some nice perks

Cons

- A lot of pressure going on in engineer area. - Developers are blame each others when someone accidentally break the dev environment/branch making them feels shame, rather than helping and stop blaming in the chat group. - No mistake are acceptable, if you are good in everything -> you got only 50% performance review (which is meets expectation). They raise the employee standard, but lack of engineering process and good culture. (They expect all of you to be "above" expectation) - No work life balance/ everyone works like 10+ hours a day to "Get things done". They was no real task estimation, product side are very keen to push their product because they are racing each others to proof them self and to showing off to their CEOs. Most of people left because of that. - They're doing task demo every 1-2 weeks and gather all developer (100+ people more) to watch what every teams are doing. Which is not necessary anymore when the company have more than 100+ people in tech team. It's kinda wasting time and I don't think everyone can remembered what is going on. - They was no engineering manager position which can solve and made a decision in some technical side, as a developer you will report to product owner in your team (Which is very bad, some of product owner doesn't even care about engineering process, they just want to "Get things done"). You also have functional manager (Which is some developer who have more seniority) But they can only help you in some advices for implementation. - They used to have QA department, which is good, because if your team & product are get bigger they should have some one who creating & responsible in quality assurance. But then they decided to collapsed it because they think focus on "pushing" features are more important. - Since there is no QA department, sometimes you & your team will got assigned to some bugs and complaints directly - Not so friendly environment, when everyone still working in the office, no one talking to you if they don't want some answer that related to works, (Because they have a lot of workloads and try to "get things done"). Some people are going have a lunch together, but that's all. - Even after all of the above complaints, CEOs and top management still saying that since the company get bigger, we are start to get lazy (What?!, everyone needs to work long hour for you guys everyday to be enough?) - Rather than try to encourage/help and give a constructive feedback to employee that underperform in some point. They probably fired you because they don't have time for that, they wants to "get things done"

27 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at Revolut. We appreciate you letting us know how you feel it could be better and we’d like to address a few of the points you made. Regarding performance reviews, the process includes time for informal and formal check ins on performance. Where people leave after a performance review, this follows formal review and discussion of their performance and where the company believes that the employee has not achieved the expected performance. The purpose of having a line manager as well as a functional manager is that one is task and programme oriented and one an expert in skillsets who can help with realistic expectations and measures. This offers a double-pronged approach to development, learning and progression. If you feel this isn’t working with you, we’d strongly recommend getting together with both of your managers and work out how you might use the structure more to your advantage. Regarding the atmosphere in the office, as a company that has grown quickly, we’ve placed a big emphasis on making sure that our offices are friendly, warm and inclusive for everyone, and feel our workplace experience team and guilds do an excellent job in bringing our people together, both in a work and social context. We’re sorry that you haven’t felt that this has been the case for you so far. We are pleased that you’re satisfied with some important areas such as salary, benefits, perks and of course the people you’re surrounded by, and we’ll ensure that your thorough feedback is passed on.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Avoid

Jan 30, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Cool office space. - Many people I've meet were very nice, knowledgeable, and humble. - No one tells you how to do things, as long as you get things done (this also proved to be one of their issues).

Cons

- Arrogant management. - Probation period goals poorly defined and most of the times not measurable. - Lack of support or direction during your probation period. You'll have to constantly chase your line manager to give you feedback and luckily he/she won't be too busy. - No one will tell you whether you passed the probation period or not, even though they are supposed to give you a written confirmation. - Blame culture. Instead of focusing on solutions and fixing problems or educating people, some senior engineers / managers prefer to just make fun of other people's lack of skills or point fingers. - People are treated as disposable and will be let go during their probation period for no reason. With luck, they will tell you "you're not a good fit for the company". - They tell you that no one forces you to work long hours, but the tasks they give you during your probation force you to work many extra hours and during the weekend. - Job spec advertised completely different from the actual work you'll do (given the speed at which the company is growing, you'll end up doing really crappy work that other people who've been longer in the company don't want to do).

33 people found this review helpful

Stronger Together

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate your taking the time to give us thorough feedback. We want you assure you that your probation experience was not representative of what we expect from our processes. We want to ensure that all our people are properly informed and know what's expected of them. We're working on addressing our probation period practices to ensure that everyone is fully informed on what is expected of them - both managers and employees. As we're hyperscaling, there might be periods where we ask our people to work a little harder to make sure that we get it done. While it might be difficult at times, our Revolut community is always there to support you. We try to ensure that all the work you do is aligned to your profile and the job description you applied for, but it might sometimes happen that you need to support us as we're hiring to fill gaps. We'll continue to provide support and training to our managers to make sure that they're getting the best from our people, and helping them thrive at work. If you have specific feedback about what we can improve in this area, please get in touch with us directly. We're committed to ensuring that everyone thrives in their work at Revolut. We assure you that your experience does not reflect the vast majority of our staff, and we'll continue to improve with your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews