Revolut Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 18, 2021

Found 36 of over 623 reviews

3.5
Revolut Founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky
Nikolay Storonsky
Pros
  • "Fast paced environment where you can see your impact from very start(in 22 reviews)

• "You get to be surrounded by smart people(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance is nonexistent(in 37 reviews)

• "no one really cares for product stuff)(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Mar 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- unlimited opportunities for growth; - open culture; - smart colleagues; - strong team spirit;

Cons

Very demanding company not for those who are used to "relaxed startup" atmosphere. Employees are ignited by the idea to change the global banking landscape and this requires full dedication and commitment to the company. In reality the company is as close as possible to it's stated values of "get things done". Forget about work/life balance.

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

You can do better than work here

Jan 18, 2021 - Sr Recruiter in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Brand recognition is growing but Revolut should (only) be used as a stepping stone into your next role - The opportunity to scale up fast in new subject matter - 30 days annual leave (you will need it!) - An agile way of working - things move and strategy changes quickly but its the best way to grow (I'm a huge advocate of this)

Cons

Revolut is a 5* product, but sadly, a 1* culture. I left Revolut at my own accord and wanted to leave an honest review. It has been a great learning curve for me and the product is great but unfortunately, I could not support the company culture any longer externally without feeling duplicitous. How Revolut treats its employees is inexcusable - there is a real sense internally that you are disposable and their approach to HR practises and employee relations/experience has been atrocious. Whilst the appointment of VP People with actual HR experience is a step in the right direction, it is quite frankly, too late. Revolut is an incredibly challenging environment to feel empowered to do your job. You will be micromanaged from day one and the culture is purely KPI driven in their push to be profitable. Don't get me wrong - KPIs are a great way to track performance against goals but here they are obsessed. As a result, individuals care more about meeting their own KPIs and there is less of a focus on collaboration and team work (despite it being a value) They have made some cracking hires but turnover remains high - either through people being managed out via quarterly performance reviews, or leaving because they are unable to do the job they are hired into because their ideas, creativity and experience (ie., what they've been hired for!) end up misaligned with those in senior leadership. The language used at performance reviews here and throughout the company is aggressive and is also damaging to mental health (in addition to the unsustainable workloads and zero work/life balance) I never was made to feel that I was good enough to work at Revolut - you are either an A player (supposedly the top 5% of the company), or you're a B player (defined as Average+ internally) and you will spend the following 3 months until your next quartlery performance review wondering whether they will be your last. The sad thing is, to get anywhere in Revolut you have to promote this way of working and warped ideology that they are the worlds greatest sports team who only hire the best of the very best, and whilst there are some great people in the business, please trust me when I say that they are far from this. As I said, there are some incredible people here that I am sad to no longer work alongside (the best of luck to you) but for my own sanity and feeling of self-worth, I am incredibly glad to have left the business. My advice to candidates - use Revolut as a stepping stone or just ignore the call from Recruiters. There is no guaratee that you will be with the business in 3 / 6 / 9 months time and they are very open about this on their Culture page and admit that they will literally pay you to leave if you're good, but not the best (!!) There are plenty of businesses out there that will value you, your experience and your input. YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN WORK AT REVOLUT!

77 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hi there, thank you for writing us a review. We see that you were a Senior Recruiter with us, so first, we want to thank you for bringing brilliant people onboard. Revolut is a fast-growing and exciting business. We've achieved a lot in a very short time and sometimes that can be challenging. We're constantly working to ensure that we support and motivate our people - right across the organisation. We believe that clear performance expectations help us all focus on the same goals and to direct support where its needed. Building a truly global financial superapp is an extraordinary challenge, and one that allows us to learn from each other and from some of the best talent in the industry. We value our Revoluters highly and we're trying hard to make sure that our people know that. Many, many people thrive here and we're proud of that and grateful. No workplace is perfect for everyone though and if it doesn't work out we're sorry and we try to make sure we learn from it. We want to wish you all the best in your next role. We wish you well.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic culture

Jan 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting work as you get to do some innovate things

Cons

-Management do not know what they’re doing therefore the strategy is not aligned across the business. -Too many people who are starting their careers so professionalism is not very high -Work life balance is nonexistent

Revolut Response

Thank you for your review, and for acknowledging the innovative culture that we're so proud of. Revolut has achieved tremendous success in a very short time thanks to the focus and vision of our leadership and the brilliance and commitment of our Revoluters. It's fast and exciting but we recognise that it can be challenging and we try to ensure that everyone achieves a balance so it's not detrimental to people's personal lives. We're sorry your experience with us wasn't more positive and we wish you the best in your career.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not a place for Marketers

Jan 6, 2021 - Marketing in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast pace, pioneering product, very smart talent, sophisticated levels of automation with processes, data driven, good compensation package and flexibility in work location.

Cons

Big issue with lack of diversity agenda, aggressive behaviour from senior leadership, lack of trust from senior management/ micromanagement, very high attrition levels, work/life balance, frequent change of company priority and direction and leadership capability of CEO.

Revolut Response

Thank you for telling us about your time at Revolut and for recognising some good things about Revolut. Revolut is a fast-growing company that has, in five years, achieved presence in over 30 countries. This was made possible by the ambition and dedication of our amazing Revoluters. We know though that startups aren't for everyone. We're constantly growing and that adds new challenges and it's sometimes hard. We work hard to support Revoluters and it's a shame when it doesn't work out. While our workforce is very diverse we recognise that that is less so as you reach the top and we're endeavouring to change that. We hope you've raised your other concerns through our internal channels as we act on all feedback raised. We wish you the best in your future career.

5. 2.0

Toxic environment

Oct 12, 2020 - Strategic Partnerships Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great products and very smart people all around

Cons

Disorganised HR/People Ops from beginning to end, lots of "A-player" managers with negative people skills, condescending and toxic environment. It's not about the no work-life balance, it's about the terrible and unexperienced people management.

34 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager, Singapore @ Revolut

Thank you for your review. We’re glad that you enjoyed working with skilled colleagues - we’re proud to have them - and we’re sorry that it didn’t work out for you. We respect all our people and we work hard to help them have a good experience at Revolut - but we know that this isn’t the right place for everyone. Sometimes our enthusiasm, our ambition, and our determination to get things right can run away with us, it’s not personal. We wish you well in your future career.

6. 1.0

Toxic work culture

Sep 25, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product is great, it changes quickly A lot of competent people, a lot to learn Looks great on your CV

Cons

Worst work culture I've ever experienced Overtime is a norm, expect to work on weekends. Doing your regular 9-5/6 is not enough and WILL get you fired. Work-life balance is terrible. They will latch onto every single little thing to fire you without any warning. If they don't fire you right away, they will force you to resign by pressuring you psychologically.

32 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

We're sorry to learn that didn't enjoy your experience at Revolut, we realise our culture isn't right for everyone and it's a shame it didn't work out. We’re proud of our ambition, it's part of what makes this an exciting place to work, and our goals sometimes demand a lot - but we never want this to have a negative impact on our employees. We certainly don't routinely expect excess hours and we try to support our colleagues. We're glad that you enjoyed working with people that we're really proud to call employees and that you enjoyed working on our amazing products. We wish you the very best for the future.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee

bad

Aug 17, 2020 - IT Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

free deliveroo after 5 good management

Cons

bad work life balance working overtime and no pay culture is bad

11 people found this review helpful

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience, it’s a shame that it didn’t work out on this occasion. We recognise that Revolut isn’t the right place for everyone, and we’re updating our hiring and onboarding processes to make sure that everyone who joins us can have a fulfilling experience. We wish you well in your future career.

8. 1.0

An honest review

Jun 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

This will be my honest review. I joined Revolut a few months ago and was excited to join a challenging environment. I recently resigned due to a combination of reasons, which is unusual because people are usually terminated here, they don't really get to resign. Pros: 1) You will learn a lot. The learning curve is steep here from the moment you join. I think I had a couple hours introduction and the next day I was submerged in work. I learnt more in the first couple of weeks here than I did in previous jobs. 2) You will not be bored. I have not come across anyone who just sat around with nothing to do. You are pretty much at full capacity most of the time. 3) Free healthy snacks. Cheeky perk, but it they have free breakfast, drinks, snacks etc. 4) Free Deliveroo after 7pm (£15 including delivery cost) 5) Intelligent people below middle management. I worked predominantly with data people and they were some of the most competent and smart people I have worked with. 6) The results of your effort are seen. Revolut is output focused, What is good is that they implement a way for you to see how your individual KPI impacts different levels of the company. i.e. Team KPI, Department KPI, Company KPI.

Cons

To be honest, I actually left because I ended up having mental health problems because of working at Revolut, to the point where I suffered from daily panic attacks and breathing problems, and ended up in hospital. I found that while working there I became more toxic and angry. Even my partner had noticed I was always stressed and severely unhappy. However, I'll try to be fair with the cons and provide explanation. If you want to skip all the details I summarised the 7 points right at the bottom. Cons: General: 1) No work-life balance. You will work minimum 9-12 hours a day - I sometimes was in office till midnight or later. That's why they offer the perk of free UBER trips from the office to your house if you are in office past midnight. The perk is there for a reason. I'm not saying this is an objectively bad thing. Some people like this kind of lifestyle and that is fine, for me it wasn't great. In my opinion, this isn't a place you would want to work at if you want to maintain a life outside of work. Again, this is debatable depending on what you want out of life. 2) The culture is very toxic. Management (middle, senior, execs) view people as resources and not people. They say they are changing, and they will probably reply to this review saying 'They are working on it...', but trust me when I say: this is not a priority for the company. They are output driven, which means they don't care how the results are produced, as long as they are produced; even if that means working 15 hours a day, everyday. When I was joining, I was assured that they are working on improving their culture and focusing on employees. This was not true, at all. Essentially, they just implemented a room with curtains that you can pull shut, where you could go if you were stressed to relax a bit. But here's the catch - since deadlines don't move and everything is output driven, - the longer you stayed in that room, the longer you had to stay after hours just to meet the demanding deadlines. Bottom line: it wasn't much help and this was Revolut's only solution to mental health problems in the work place, even after the hundreds of review comments via internal surveys and platforms like Glassdoor telling management, that the current work place is not sustainable for most people. Just to summarise: you probably won't be seen as an individual unless you get to a level in management. BUT there are a small amount of teams which implement their own culture and phenomenal to work for... I just hope you get into one of these few teams, if not.... god bless you and good luck. 3) Management are way too inexperienced - most of the managers there aren't people who have experience in their role, but are in exec positions because they were early employees. This leads to certain problems: - Young successful people in high positions are trying to prove that they deserve their exec levels, so they implement unreasonable targets and asks which people below have to run around and jump through hoops to meet. - Just pure inexperience and lack of leadership and direction - sometimes it honestly feels like they don't know what they are doing and then saying they need something 10 mins before a meeting. There have been instances where management have agreed to implement something by a deadline only to find that they don't even have data to complete the task because management didn't discuss anything with the data people and just guessed if they had information or not. Which again means that people below have to bend over backwards. - Just unprofessional - Its not uncommon for people to yell at each other there and management to get at each others throats because there is simply no communication between them (again: inexperience). Sometimes because of no experience management does not understand the weight of the words they write or say. They are senior managers and a lot of people look up them. They can be often inappropriate, and since they are young, they don't quite grasp that some of things they say can cause serious problems... I get that they are a start-up but if you want to be a bank (or just a respectable company), you should probably act with some more professionalism. Again to summarise - young inexperienced people are in really high places here. 4) The concept of 'A-Players'. Revolut is obsessed with this term. Essentially they only want the best of the best to work for them. Don't misunderstand: they do not want to train and develop their employees to become A-players and grow. NOPE. They want people to be A-players right when they join. Whats-more, is that this terms has created a divide in the company into the 'GREATS' and the 'COMMONERS'. The greats being the A-players (people who have outstanding performance reviews and are only a small fraction of people in the company). The Peasants being the other 80% or so of the company. This divide is a serious psychological problem where you have to be in the ELITE group otherwise you are worthless in the company. It's so bad that it has come to the point that your feedback on internal surveys to improve Revolut doesn't carry much weight in the company unless you are one of these 'A-Players'. Its like a sad school drama show... 5) The general attitude of the company is 'We are amazing and you should be grateful to work for us'... This isn't a bad thing to some degree, it's good that they are proud of themselves, but I think it is blown way out of proportion. From the moment you apply to Revolut the attitude is on the arrogant side - they believe that they only deserve the best of the best - but what they do not understand is that an 'A-player' wants to work in an 'A-Class' company like Google, Microsoft or the other Tech Titans. It's evident from the company reviews and ratings on this platform and many others that the company is not at the level that they can demand just the A-players from around the world. 6) The compensation is good compared to the market (not by much). What you need to understand is that Revolut is in a league of its own: if you compare the amount of hours you work to the pay they give you, you will understand that you are actually being underpaid. For example if you work at 2 companies ABC, XYZ. ABC pay you £1000 a week but you work 45 hours a week (standard contract) XYZ pay you £1200 a week but you work 60 hours a week (12 hours a day and pay a bit better than market) ABC are paying you £22.22 an hour while XYZ are paying you £20 an hours. Of course it is not always like this, but before you think that they are paying you more than your previous job, weigh up the pay in comparison to the extra level of work you will be doing (not to mention emotional abuse and potential mental health repercussions). 7) Line managers are quite poor here. Not everyone, but a lot of them are not qualified to be line managers. In my experience, they offer no support, and are very quick to blame you. My manager didn't even know what my career progression goals were, I was just a expendable resource to them. They are usually too busy for you, which they tend use as an excuse for not performing their line managing duties and proceed to blame you that you didn't 'manage upward enough' which is just another way of them getting out of their line managing duties. Even when you request a new line manager they refuse to let you go and change, because I guess it looks bad on them, so you end up stuck with a line manager that doesn't pay much attention to your growth. My worst experience was when another team wanted me to work for them and I wanted to work for that team, only to be blocked by my current line manager telling me I can't go. Later I was in a meeting with other managers and my line manager, when my manager said: "Some managers are bad, line managers shouldn't block someone's internal move to a team they are more suited to because people leave and then apply externally". I just sat in that meeting honestly really upset about the situation since the same manager blocked my internal move and then made themselves seem like a thoughtful leader coming up with this solution, when in reality they were doing the exact thing they were preaching against. That was the final moment before I decided I can no longer work there. That and the series of panic attacks I had while working there, I could name other terrible things that happened but I think this review is long enough... TO SUMMARISE 1) NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE 2) CULTURE IS TOXIC 3) MANAGEMENT IS YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED 4) CONCEPT OF A-PLAYERS CREATES A CLASS SYSTEM IN THE COMPANY 5) REVOLUT HAS A PRETENTIOUS ATTITUDE 6) PAY IS NOT GOOD WHEN PUT IN PERSPECTIVE WITH THE HOURS WORKED 7) LINE MANAGERS CAN HONESTLY BREAK YOUR EXPERIENCE THERE AND BREAK YOU

62 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Thank you for your honest review and taking the time to provide such thorough feedback. We read all reviews carefully and report and act on them. First, we’d like to address your concerns about your health. We treat our employees’ well-being very seriously and we are sorry if you did not find the support you needed in our organisation. If you feel comfortable, we would really like to discuss this privately with you. Please reach out to HR@revolut.com if you would like to do this. Regarding the work/life balance points, we are a young company, in a stage of very rapid growth and sometimes we do expect our people to go the extra mile, and sometimes putting in extra hours, which we seek to reward fairly. We will however review your comments about workload carefully and pass these on with the rest of this review. We have recently implemented programmes to help people with their mental health. These include a wellness room which people have found valuable when they need a break, an active wellness guild and regular wellness communications offering advice and support designed to help our people get through this tough time. Our employee engagement team is working hard to further improve engagement and support throughout 2020 and beyond. We are also looking to support and develop our managers and leaders to ensure that they are able to motivate and support their teams as we continue to grow our business so that our senior teams can excel in being the leaders that our people deserve. To build the world’s first truly digital bank, we know that we need to attract and retain a team of A-players, and to cultivate a working environment where every one of our teams can excel. We want everyone in Revolut to feel that working here is an exciting, enriching and rewarding experience that provides challenges that help us all grow in ability and achievement. We are truly sorry that this was not your experience. We are sorry that you were not able to make the move that you wanted to. In general we encourage internal mobility and growth so we’re sorry that it didn’t work out in your case. Thank you for highlighting some of your more positive experiences, like the smart people you were surrounded by, the learning and the impacts of your efforts that were available to you.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting experience

May 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

In order to thrive at Revolut, culture fit is really important. I see a lot of negative reviews stating bad management, and in a way I think this is highly driven by an extremely direct and no-BS communication style of the senior management. The narrative is highly focused on the need for all to be super performers (aka A players) and if you fall outside of this group, you'll be fired. Now, this sounds pretty rough to most people (and that is in a way understandable) and creates an impression that the company and/or senior management does not care about people. Guess what - other/bigger companies who are better at BSing and sugar coating also do not care, but there is more 'fake empathy' going on there. So I guess this is a question of culture/personality type - do you prefer straightforwardness and blunt communication or would you rather have the same stuff delivered in a corporate sugar coated/brainwash-y way? Each person would have a different response to that :) Based on this here are the Pros: -> moves fast, things get resolved quickly -> smart colleagues, especially in some departments. A players like working with A players -> high performance culture (good for those who are competitive and want to be no.1) -> to the point above, despite that, people are also friendly and backstabbing is not so common (as it is in corporate) -> management is actually here for the win and is relentless to reach its goals (this is good monetary-wise if you stick long term and see the company IPO)

Cons

Cons: -> senior management communication style is indeed rough/immature - rephrasing things may do wonders for the morale -> unexpected spikes in workload may occur - which makes work/life balance challenging -> [pre-covid] office perks are not that amazing - you have to wait till 7 pm for Deliveroo dinner and the breakfast provided is kind of basic (only 1 sugar free cereal was available, which were the plain outs, everything else was loaded with sugar) -> lack of narrative/culture/identity of being part of something awesome - there isn't a strong identity that creates a sense of community and belonging, something you can find in big tech companies

5 people found this review helpful

Revolut Response

Hi there, Thanks so much for your review and your perspective, we appreciate you taking the time to let others know about your experience. We’re glad you like the directness of communication at Revolut and we agree that it should always be mature and professional. We provide management training and we’re working to ensure that our communications are clear but also motivating and inclusive. Some of the feedback you raise is really interesting and we’ll be sure to pass this on to the appropriate people. Our Learning & Development team is always looking to improve training to ensure that we get the next out of our management.

10. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great work, but not so great culture

May 11, 2020 - IOS Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits - Good tech stack - Many people to learn from

Cons

- many people to report to - harsh timelines, expectations - no work life balance

Revolut Response

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience so far with Revolut. Across the business, we have assigned line managers as well as functional managers, one is task and programme oriented and one an expert in skillsets who can help with realistic expectations and measures. This offers a double-pronged approach to development, learning and progression. We’d strongly recommend that you try to use this approach to your advantage, and communicate openly with both of your managers about what you hope to gain from your relationships with each of them. As Revolut continues through our hyper-growth stage, we do sometimes ask a little from our people, and we hope that the benefits on offer go some way to compensating for this. We are really glad to hear that you’re enjoying working on our tech stack, and that you feel you’re learning here from fellow smart Revoluters, and hope that your sentiment towards the management structure improves over time with a little adjustment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews