Ricardo Principal Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4
Ricardo CEO and Managing Director, International Dave Shemmans
Dave Shemmans
1 Rating
  1. "Good experience, learnt much"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Shoreham-by-Sea, England

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting and challenging work good and motivated people Good location on south coast Great Flexi time system and leave entitlements Subsidised canteen

Cons

Subsidised canteen Can be political at times Project work can be boom and bust at times Wages not the greatest

Ricardo2015-07-01
  2. "Interesting projects, friendly atmosphere"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Prague

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting projects and lots of learning opportunities. Friendly and open atmosphere in the company. Numerous traveling opportunities.

Cons

Majority of the hardware made/tested in the UK, which makes gaining hands-on experience sometimes difficult.

Ricardo2018-10-07

"Software development at Ricardo Prague"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Prague

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The strongest thing Ricardo Prague offers is really interesting work. We are developing stable products, so the emphasis on quality of our work is very high. There is really collaborative culture in the company - we try to help each other wherever possible. For example, it is quite often that when someone learns something that might be interesting for others, they prepare a presentation for the rest of the team and whoever is interested attends it. I value this a lot, because I know it is not granted.

Cons

I cannot really come up with anything wrong. Discussion is always allowed in the company, so when something is wrong, it gets repaired quite soon.

Ricardo2018-05-21

Ricardo Response

August 17, 2018Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. We are happy to hear that you find the work so interesting and enjoy the culture of the company. We take great pride in these aspects of the company and we are delighted that you've had a positive experience with them. It's brilliant that you've enjoyed the presentations of subjects of interest and we will pass on all of your feedback to the HR team in Prague.

Continue reading

"Great work, great colleagues, but senior management too focussed on short term"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is really varied, interesting & challenging. A great place to work if your pro-active & willing to work hard. If you're good then you'll be given responsibility. The quality of colleagues is high (technically & also geenrally good people). Immediate few layers of management is typically good.

Cons

Very senior management too focussed on short-term & management by metrics. Very senior management sometimes ram through poor decisions without consulting their own internal expertise. If engineers give an estimate for a quote & you think it's too high, then discuss it with them - don't just cut it in half & then hold them to account when they overspend. Repeated below inflation pay-rises, even if your performance is consistently rated high in your annual appraisal.

Ricardo2012-12-29