Ricardo Employee Reviews about "interesting projects"

Updated 12 Oct 2020

Ricardo CEO and Managing Director, International Dave Shemmans
Dave Shemmans
Pros
Cons
  • "Only the senior management get bonuses despite the work being done by the far superior skilled and experienced lower graded and lower paid workers(in 20 reviews)

• "Pay - no bonus, insulting (or cancelled) pay rise(in 11 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "interesting projects"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Analyst Consultant in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to start a career. Many experts on the various fields, interesting projects and opportunities. The systems in place help a graduate integrate in the consultancy world.

Cons

The systems introducing a graduate into the company are in place, but the same does not apply for more senior roles. Flexible working may sometimes turn into a trap, resulting in extra hours of work.

September 21, 2020HR Intern

Hi, thank you for leaving us a 5* rating! It is really great to see such positive comments from our current employees. We also really appreciate the constructive feedback you have detailed. Interesting project work is something our staff like most about working for us and having employees that are so passionate about their work really resonates with the core values of Ricardo. We’re equally delighted to read that you feel the development opportunities we provide have been beneficial to you and have helped you settle in. We aim to invest in career development for all and would encourage any member of staff to speak to their Team Leader about what training and opportunities are available to them. The wellbeing of our employees is also a priority for us, so we ask everyone to work with their managers to find a working pattern that suits them and establishes a good work-life balance.

"Declining fast, once a fantastic place to work"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Something in Royal Leamington Spa, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting and interesting projects (incredibly rarely now), which you won't find elsewhere Chance to meet some fantastic people, and develop some great relationships along the way, provides a great team relationship and work ethic within teams Free tea and coffee Huge skill set among the shop floor workers / some engineers

Cons

It's a shame i'm writing this to be honest, as i genuinely once loved working here. Where to start? If you happen to work here now, you'll quickly find any work you do is horrendously under appreciated, (the only appreciation will come from the team you work in, nothing else) any hurdles along the way are more than often the only parts of the job that get remembered, regardless of how you work around the issues and successfully deliver the program, and once it is successfully delivered, you'll 90% of the time get no thanks or gratitude for it, with the complete project being swept under the carpet and forgotten about forever. Constant redundancy's, You're always going to be a number on a page here. Poor pay, massively under motivated staff who are constantly beat down and never praised for anything , a huge underwhelming sense of poor appreciation (notice a pattern) Expect to also work overtime, but be told you can't book it because the management don't know how to budget or price a job Horrendous upper management, will always be the persons lower down the chains fault regardless of any disastrous decisions higher up, not really bothered about customers either. Don't expect a bonus unless you're at the top, although all the skill base is at the bottom. Having to battle to get consumables, tools, anything for a job because of "the budget" Ambitious targets and unrealistic goals, and when the numbers don't add up expect another round of redundancies. It's literally all about numbers, nothing about trying to make a big impact in the engineering world anymore.

October 15, 2020HR Intern

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience working at Ricardo. It is lovely to hear that so much of your time here has been really positive, but disappointing that your recent experience has not been so great. This is not the culture and environment we want to create for our colleagues. I hope to address some of the issues you mentioned in your review below. The wellbeing of our employees is a priority for us, so we strive to create a positive working environment. We want to make clear the flexible working options available to all, and we strongly encourage our staff to work with their managers to find a working pattern that suits everyone. We truly appreciate the effort and dedication of all our colleagues, and we are sorry if you do not feel that this has come across in recent months. We know that our employees are extremely hardworking, and we aim to implement different ways of rewarding individuals for their efforts. We really value the contribution all our employees make to the success of the business and, as a result, we do try to make sure our reward schemes are attractive. We are dedicated to creating better lines of communication between the senior leadership team and our employees, and we are committed to the highest levels of staff engagement. It is understandable that, with some decisions, employees may not agree with the company’s choices, but these are made in the best interest of our goals as a company. We take your comments very seriously and we’re sorry that you have been unhappy working here of late. If you feel comfortable, we would urge you to talk to your team leader or a member of HR about these concerns.

"Could do better"

Former Employee - Bits N Bobs

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potentially exciting Some interesting projects Nice colleagues OK environment

Cons

Lack of strategy Short term is king, knee jerk reactions to make the boss' bonus Useless management who doesn't care about customers Work in Silo

March 16, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your review, we take all expressions of experience very seriously whether that be positive or negative. As a company it is important that we provide a positive working environment and that employees feel represented and led by a management team that they support. It is understandable that with some decisions, employees may not agree with the company’s choices however these are made in the best interest of our goals as a company. If you wish to discuss anything further, we encourage our employees to be open with their Team Leaders. Thank you for your review and good luck in your career.

4. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been in Ricardo since 2015 and I have really enjoyed my time here. I have been involved in very interesting projects across a broad range of topics and have always been given the opportunity and the support to pursue new opportunities . The company has also invested significantly in my personal and professional development with frequent and well structured internal and external training courses. There work environment is collegial and there is a sense that people at all levels (including the management team) genuinely care for the well-being of employees and colleagues. I have also benefited from significant flexibility for different working arrangements that have helped ensure a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

At times there is significant work pressure and resources are sometimes limited. However, support is always made available if one asks for it. Level of pay is probably not the most competitive in the market. This is partly balanced by a reasonable benefits package, the increased flexibility and the investment in personal and professional training.

March 16, 2020Human Resources

Thank you very much for your review. It’s superb to hear that you have so many excellent things to say about the company. We are very happy that you are finding professional development courses provided by us beneficial and that you very supported within your role. It is also great to hear that when going through busy periods at the company you still feel very supported by your colleagues.

"Not all animals are equal"

Current Employee - Engineer in Leamington, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the past, there have been some very interesting projects and a steady stream of skilled engineers following through the business

Cons

-The MTC offices are neglected. Costs are cut everywhere. The office is packed, noisy, dirty, and appears to not have changed since the early nineties. -the vehicle engineering department has no leadership, despite having more chiefs than Indians. A eight to nine tier management structure, with no one providing direction. It's unclear what the business wants from this business unit. Communication, sparse as it is, takes ages to cascade down. -research is not taking seriously, but rather is seen as an unchangeable activity, to perform in between projects. While the business has a research devision, it does not appear focused on improving current capabilities, rather developing new ones. -the managing director office has a revolving door. I've lost track of how many there have been in my for years here, but the number is greater than 6. None have made a lasting impression. -improvements to employee well-being are proudly announced, but rarely implemented across all locations.

January 6, 2020Marketing Intern

We agree, our work is something that%E2%80%99s interesting, valuable and something we can be proud of.At the same time, we would like to discuss your concerns around your working environment further. We are passionate about doing the best job for our employees and particularly their well-being so any suggestions on improvements are welcome.

6. "Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Ricardo

Pros

Very interesting projects Supportive immediate colleagues

Cons

Low pay for London Zero hours contract

"Water and Environment Practice Review"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really interesting projects and talented individuals working in the Water and Environment practice at Ricardo EE, which was formerly known as Cascade. Starting pay pretty good for anyone starting at consultant level or above.

Cons

Management team struggle to find enough work for the staff and do not instill confidence in the staff. Very high turnover in the Water and Environment practice due to the fluctuation in work load and issues with the culture. Team work and knowledge hand down is poor. Unnecessary amounts of internal politics, especially when it comes to promotions, as it is not transparent and whoever shouts loudest usually gets it (not necessarily the hard working/loyal staff)

January 8, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the projects you were involved in and enjoyed working with some talented individuals. We are proud of the staff we recruit and are happy to provide them with new and exciting opportunities working for us. The Water Practice went through a period of significant change last year which was destabilising, leading to an increase in turnover. With a new Practice Director now in place, supported by a strong and committed management team, the Practice is re-strengthened and focused on business development and strong alliances with the wider technical specialist areas across ‘Energy and Environment’.

"Variety, integrity and challenge : a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreham, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

At Ricardo you have the opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects that provide real stretch, positive challenge and development. There is also a high level of personal integrity where people care about the work that they do and the standards at which they operate. Team environment is supportive and inclusive.

Cons

continue to build communication strategy, link strategic and personal objectives and encourage a diverse thinking workforce.

9. "Good culture, interesting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with some bright people who are passionate about the work they do, and a good team working culture. So it's great for learning from others in the company and bouncing ideas off them. There are also some really interesting projects, depending on your team/practice area and scope to develop your role within them. They also provide a good range of benefits (some good others not relevant) and good people management support to help with career development.

Cons

Just the same as any other consultancy, there are busy periods, e.g. if having just won projects before all the resources have been re-allocated, or the pressure for deadlines when bidding for work. Also having to take the time to account for your time spent on various projects with timesheets and job numbers - but again, pretty much expected for a consultancy.

"Worst return to work experience and financial management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Didcot, England

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Progression and opportunity are available due to its size Interesting projects Benefits are reasonable

Cons

Staff and knowledge retention is extremely poor. Returns to work after maternity leave have been handled poorly, due to lack of process and care. The financial mgmt of people and projects is overly complex and makes for project inefficiencies and loss of profit.

August 24, 2018Human Resources

Thank you for leaving your review. We work hard in HR to enable a smooth transition to and from maternity leave and aim to deliver this consistently and considerately across our people. It is therefore a shame to hear you feel the process was handled poorly for you specifically. We are continually reviewing our welfare processes and in particular have continued to develop and enhance our maternity support, with the introduction of increased flexibility on work patterns, hours and return to work arrangements. In addition we have now introduced a buddy scheme for men and women returning to the work place after extended absence. In July 2016 we introduced a new model of team leadership to the business so that employees each have a team leader who has direct and regular contact with their team members within a group of no more than circa 6-8 people to optimise engagement. Team leaders receive extensive training and support to fulfil this role successfully, in collaboration with their HR Managers. Our employee retention across the business is strong overall with a rolling turnover rate of 8.8%. We are not complacent and are very focussed on seeking highest levels of employee engagement which is a predominant theme in our HR Strategy and we review regularly through our employee surveys. We strongly encourage any staff member to report any instances of bullying to their HR manager and/or team leader and any unacceptable behaviour is not tolerated. This enables us to better understand any issues people are facing and provide personal support to resolve it as quickly and sensitively as possible. Thank you for also sharing your positive comments about the pros you have experienced working at Ricardo.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 English Reviews