Ricardo Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 4 Nov 2020

Ricardo CEO and Managing Director, International Dave Shemmans
Dave Shemmans
Pros
Cons
  • "Only the senior management get bonuses despite the work being done by the far superior skilled and experienced lower graded and lower paid workers(in 20 reviews)

• "Pay - no bonus, insulting (or cancelled) pay rise(in 11 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "An open and friendly place, where I feel valued and respected"

Current Intern - Marketing in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot to like about working for Ricardo. All the staff from management down are extremely friendly and welcoming and will support your development. In addition to this, everyone I have spoken to is passionate about what they do, which creates a positive and inspirational atmosphere. The company also has a great work/life balance and is very flexible for things such as doctor’s appointment's etc.

Cons

If you don't have a car, commuting to the Energy & Environment office in Harwell can be a bit tricky, due to it not being in a town, but it is completely do-able

September 21, 2020HR Intern

Hi, it was lovely to read that your experience with us so far has gone so well. At Ricardo, we strive to provide a pleasant working environment for all and we really pride ourselves on the friendly culture that we have here. It’s fantastic to read that you feel your managers are approachable and support your development. Having employees such as yourself who are so passionate about their work is what makes Ricardo such a success!

2. "Needs some big changes"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Shoreham-by-Sea, England

I worked at Ricardo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The varied work can be interesting, location, work-life balance can be good if not too busy (flexitime)

Cons

Non-competitive salary, extremely slow progression, no bonus, ruthless senior management

November 27, 2020HR Intern

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We take your comments very seriously and would like to address some of the points you have mentioned. We’re really glad that you found the project work here interesting and were able to make the most of the flexible working options we have available. We are, however, saddened that some of your experience was much less positive. Our ambition for our company is to become an employer of choice. We really value the contribution all employees make to the success of the business and therefore we try to reward each individual accordingly. As a company, it is also important to us that we provide a positive working environment and that employees feel represented and led by a management team that they support. I am sorry if you feel this was not the case for you. We wish you the best of luck in the rest of your career!

3. "Great company with lots of work flexibility"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong focus on work-life balance and flexibility, high levels of concern about staff as people, focus on staff development, the staff / team are highly committed to making a difference.

Cons

The bonus scheme is pointless is not an inventive - you never get it (or we do well but its all taken by group), communication and visibility by senior management is poor, with a strong preference to the short term

November 2, 2020HR Intern

Thanks for leaving a 4* review! It is really great to see such positive comments from our current employees. We really care about employee welfare, so we’re delighted to hear that you’ve found a working pattern that suits you. It’s also great that you feel that there is always a chance to grow and develop here! We try to make sure we are an open, transparent employer as we know that every decision made at the top-level impacts not only the strategic direction of the business, but most importantly, our employees. In some cases, employees may not agree with our decisions, and that is understandable, but they are always made in the best interests of our goals as a company. We continually discuss how we can better improve channels of communication across the company, and we welcome all feedback. If you wish to discuss anything further, we would really encourage you to get in touch with your Team Leader or a member of HR. They will be happy to help!

4. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

- From the very start of the interview process to now (9 months later), every Ricardo colleague has been a pleasure to work with. Everyone is so helpful and supportive. - Flexible company and consider work/life balance to be very important - Great project work and variations in projects. - Multiple training opportunities

Cons

- I have done a lot of on the job training, which is great, but some initial overview training when I first started would have also been beneficial

May 19, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate all of the positive points you listed. Our approach to flexible working and the exciting projects that we are involved in are some of the things that our employees like most about working for us. Having employees that are so passionate about their work really resonates with the core values of Ricardo.

5. "Great company ethos"

Current Employee - Senior Strategic Buyer in Shoreham-by-Sea, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff make for a great positive atmosphere. Innovation is rewarded and you are able to show initiative in your role. Flexibility creates a stress-free work life balance. Advancement and recognition are both available creating longevity within the company

Cons

Currently cannot find any negatives

March 16, 2020Human Resources

It was great to read your review, thank you for taking the time to share with others your positive experience working at Ricardo. Work life balance is an area we are constantly striving to improve across our business, the wellbeing of our employees is a priority, therefore, we want to make clear the flexible working options available to all.

6. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been in Ricardo since 2015 and I have really enjoyed my time here. I have been involved in very interesting projects across a broad range of topics and have always been given the opportunity and the support to pursue new opportunities . The company has also invested significantly in my personal and professional development with frequent and well structured internal and external training courses. There work environment is collegial and there is a sense that people at all levels (including the management team) genuinely care for the well-being of employees and colleagues. I have also benefited from significant flexibility for different working arrangements that have helped ensure a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

At times there is significant work pressure and resources are sometimes limited. However, support is always made available if one asks for it. Level of pay is probably not the most competitive in the market. This is partly balanced by a reasonable benefits package, the increased flexibility and the investment in personal and professional training.

March 16, 2020Human Resources

Thank you very much for your review. It’s superb to hear that you have so many excellent things to say about the company. We are very happy that you are finding professional development courses provided by us beneficial and that you very supported within your role. It is also great to hear that when going through busy periods at the company you still feel very supported by your colleagues.

7. "Ricardo Energy & Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a number of opportunities here to get involved (or even start) work on projects that you are passionate about and interested in. Ricardo EE value and encourage personal growth and for you to get involved with things that interest you and provide training and support to help you do this. Good work life balance: The flexible working options here are great and the ability to work from home really helps with this.

Cons

A lot of emphasis is placed on project work and delivery which results in a push for accounting for time spent on each project. The time sheet procedure where you have to account for your time spent on which projects that week can be time consuming and difficult. Ricardo offer a benefits scheme which is good however there is a lack of choice and there could do with more options.

8. "Great company with HQ in Sussex"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreham, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting and varied business with lots of opportunity for growth. Talented and passionate people working on diverse, innovative projects. Good work-life balance in terms of flexible working locations and hours.

Cons

The company has gone through a lot of change over the years which can make culture a challenge but I don't believe this is unique to Ricardo.

Continue reading
  9. "Great place to work for air quality professionals"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexible working conditions to allow good work/life balance - I am a homeworker and it works well; leading organisation in the UK in the field of AQ so working with national and international experts and on high level projects; working on a wide variety of projects and bids makes for an interesting job.

Cons

Hard to think of anything but if pushed maybe a decent annual salary progression once inside the company is not always easy to achieve or transparent how one can achieve it.

10. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harwell, South East England, England

I have been working at Ricardo full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly, relaxed working environment - Great opportunities to work on high profile and challenging projects - Flexible working that allows working from home and work/life balance

Cons

- Limited benefits available for younger employees

December 21, 2018Human Resources

Thank you for leaving some constructive feedback. Work life balance is very importance to us so we are always happy to hear employees are making the most out of our flexible working policy to reach a pattern that works for them. Variation in project work opens up lots of different opportunities to work with high profile clients and it sounds like you're getting to experience that too. We are always looking to improve our benefit schemes and we have noted that you feel they are limited for young people. We will be reviewing our benefits offering over the coming months and asking employees what benefits are important to them, we really welcome your ideas and input.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 English Reviews