Ripple Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 14 Feb 2019

4.5
Ripple Chief Executive Officer Brad Garlinghouse
Brad Garlinghouse
Pros
  • "We are led by a fantastic leadership team with(in 7 reviews)

• "Smart people working fast to accomplish A LOT and it's really happening(in 5 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"The "Adults in the Room" of Crypto"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent on-boarding process that really gets you to meet and learn from everyone, including leadership. Friendly, bright colleagues that are more than happy to collaborate across business units. Modern technology and tool flexibility. Clear vision and plans to change the world.

Cons

Some growing pains that would be common at any high-growth company, as systems and processes that were designed for 50 people have trouble scaling to hundreds. Snacks/drinks in SF are so good that the (still pretty good) pantry in NY pales in comparison. Travel policies could be less stingy.

March 15, 2019VP People

Thanks so much for sharing your experience - it’s an exciting time to be at Ripple! We’re always working on improving our processes, and if you have specific feedback, feel free to reach out to your HR Business Partner.

"Most exciting place on the planet"

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Impact. Opportunity to be a part of a team that is solving a trillion dollar real-world problem. And, opportunity to be a part of a growing company that is doing it right, but where so much is still to be done.

Cons

It has grown a lot and there are some normal startup growing pains as the company takes it to the next level.

August 7, 2018VP People

It's incredibly exciting to be part of Ripple and to work collaboratively towards our mission! It’s exciting to hear that you feel the same way and it’s great to have you on the team. Thank you for taking the time to post, we appreciate it!

"Sweet place to work!"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome team and management! Manager values work life balance and career growth. Really feel listened to. Great culture with a lot of team building events. Open office layout adds to a healthy drop by culture of impromptu conversations.

Cons

Company is currently experiencing growing pains, which presents concurrent opportunities and challenges.

August 7, 2018VP People

I am so glad you feel that Ripple is an exciting place to be and grow in your career! Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Ripple.

"Exciting times!"

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ripple is in high growth - startup phase which comes with tons of opportunities to build and grow. Really one of the main reasons I joined this company. If you enjoy this part of a company's stage you will love it here! If you would rather be at a fully developed, mature stage company you probably will feel like it's too fast pace for you and you'll need to wear many hats. Personally, I love this stage. I'm excited to come into work every day. I get to work on a team of people that love what they are doing and truly have a bond, who care about each other and always have each other's backs. It's weird reading the negative reviews here as I haven't had any of the experiences those reviewers wrote about.

Cons

This is a startup so if that type of environment isn't for you then you may have a tougher time keeping up with the pace. Like any startup there's a lot of work today, processes to put in place, systems to onboard, lots of people to hire -- not really a con for me personally, but certainly has it's growing pains.

April 15, 2018VP People

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review and it’s exciting to hear that you are enjoying the Ripple journey! One of the things that makes us unique is the incredibly talented, smart passionate people we have. It's so good to hear that you feel genuinely supported and a valuable member of the team. We will continue to ensure that we keep the employee at the forefront of our People programs and initiatives.

"Incredible opportunity to change global banking"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Working at Ripple is so empowering because this is the only company that has a real shot at changing how transaction banking works globally. The maturity of the product, roster of clients, government, NGO and regulatory engagement is unparalleled to any other company in this space. The work is extremely impactful - no doubt about it. The people that I work with are some of the smartest, driven and caring people in the world. I am constantly amazed by the resilience of this company in the face of obstacles (and there have been many - what we are doing is not easy). But the leadership team is also very introspective - everyone is open about things that go well as well as things that don't go well. It is an energizing place to work.

Cons

Standard growing pains - driving focus, building out processes, saying "no" to things. This is nothing new a startup this size doesn't deal with.

"Very special company in a very special industry. Incredible momentum and great people"

I have been working at Ripple full-time

Pros

Like another reviewer, I've been at some other top Silicon Valley companies and totally wowed by the talent and passion and Ripple. People are some of the smartest and most respected on the planet, particularly on the Eng side. I'm working on some of the most interesting challenges of my career in one of the hottest areas in tech right now and many of my peers say the same. The market opportunity is huge and Ripple seems to be ahead of any competitor so it's also great to be at a place that is winning. The culture is one of the most collaborative I've been at and very inclusive. As a female early in my career, I find it inspiring to see so many women in leadership positions. While some things still need to be figured out, I feel like the various leaders spend a lot of time updating everyone at the company meetings so I know what's going on. Unlike a lot of early stage startups, the senior leadership team is incredibly experienced. That experience and level of professionalism has reduced the pain points, lack of direction and general frustrations that I've experienced at other startups with young leaders who are learning how to lead or manage for the very first time. I've also enjoyed the various company and team outings and I've made a lot of good friends here! As other people have said, Ripple is a great place to be if you want to be the best at your game and work with world-class talent. Managers are very understanding about time off and personal commitments, but people are also super motivated about Ripple's mission and want to continue the amazing momentum so expectations are high to deliver great work product. Generally people who aren't motivated to win and can't adapt to the pace and expectations around high quality work product don't last too long.

Cons

Definitely some growing pains like any startup. Some teams are more execution oriented than others and the rest of the company can feel it when someone isn't pulling their weight. Some teams need people with more experience in their specific role. Feels like the company is growing so quickly that it is outgrowing the skill set of some of the earlier or more junior hires. It's super fast paced and the expectations are high. It''s motivating for me and I'm still able to maintain a decent work-life balance but it may not be a fit for everyone.

"Best job I've had"

5.0

I have been working at Ripple full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working in tech for 10 years and Ripple is the real deal. Most recently I was at another hot company in silicon valley and the contrast here is profound. Ripple has a a very open environment of smart people without the arrogance that permeates other companies that are growing quickly - addressing big markets. I attribute a big part of that to mature, experienced leadership that has a clear plan and is executing that plan.

Cons

To be fair, Ripple is not immune from growing pains... that's what happens when you add about 25% of your total headcount in one quarter! There are some mid-level managers (and even one or two more senior managers) that need to scale with the business and focus more on helping their teams grow with the company.

Continue reading

"Growing Pains, Corporate Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ripple full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ripple is a company with an interesting mission and vision. Blockchain is one of the hottest topics in finance, and Ripple has the clear head start in the enterprise space. Unlike many fintech startups, Ripple has real partnerships with banks. It's the CEO's third fintech startup, and it helps to have that experience to draw on. There are some extremely smart and talented people, especially on the engineering team.

Cons

Serious growing pains. Used to be a fun place to work with happy hours, culture committee events, and occasional outings. After hiring a COO from the corporate world, Ripple decided the only path forward is hard-work and cut nearly all investment in employee happiness. So no more happy hours or clubs. You'll typically find people in the office well past 7pm pretending to work. No company lunch, so you probably won't ever get to know your fellow employees outside of work mode. Unsurprisingly, this leads to a lot of conflict between teams. And don't expect your voice to be heard - senior management is basically a bunch of early 30s, first time managers who don't understand how to lead teams and therefore put an axe on all feedback. The C-levels insist that they're too important to talk to directly, even though Ripple is only 120 employees. Corporate culture.

"Palpable Passion"

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ripple Labs is stocked full of brilliant employees. I've never worked with such sharp minds, and I'm consistently shocked by the humility and kindness of my colleagues when I take their insanely impressive backgrounds into account. Consistently challenged in a great way, and huge opportunities for career growth by wearing more hats than I can wear at a larger company. The people, the leadership, and the culture draw me in and are noticeably different than other companies I've interviewed at.

Cons

RL is going through some growing pains. We could also use a better coffee maker.

Continue reading

"Great place in a great space - both economic & physical"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ripple full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in a few workplaces in the Bay Area now, and find Ripple to be one of the few that really upholds values of balance, kindness, and consideration towards others. This is a place where high-level thinking is taken seriously, and careful reasoning is highly valued. It's also a company where the future is being invented, in a sense, in that the field itself is being shaped by the people who work here. Working at Ripple Labs gives you an unusual amount of influence over the organization within the space, which is valuable enough to form a kind of compensation in itself.

Cons

Any company that is increasing in size so rapidly will have some growing pains, but so far these have been managed well.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews