Risk Management Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 10, 2019

3.7
Risk Management Solutions Chief Executive Officer  Karen White
Karen White
Pros
  • "Very strong work culture, good work life balance apart from peak season(in 58 reviews)

• "Some of incredibly smart people in the lower ranks(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • "Large iniative to roll out new flagship product RMS One, bombed in Apri 2014(in 16 reviews)

• "models you have to be in the California office(in 15 reviews)

1. "All change..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

RMS has had its fair share of challenges, but new leadership has brought about a lot of change, fresh ideas, and a strong bias for doing what’s right and fair by employees. This also shows in how the expectation of employees has changed - with collaboration, transparency, trust and empowerment all vastly improved as teams lean in with renewed energy.

Cons

After so much change in recent years, it’s inevitable that the company is craving organisational stability - a solid foundation to build around. The signs are very encouraging.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us all to be more honest, open and collaborative.

Risk Management Solutions2018-08-21
  2. "Been enjoying my role very much"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

High salary and great work life balance. Constant growth.

Cons

Office is too dark. It systems are sometimes slow

Advice to Management

Keep growing

Risk Management Solutions2019-08-26
  3. "RMS Consultant"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Salary good. Good people to work with.

Cons

Under staffed. Too Top heavy.

Risk Management Solutions2019-04-17

"Employees are Disposable"

Current Employee - Catastrophe Modeler in London, England

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

RMS has some of the best people I've worked with. When things are going well it's a joy to be part of the London modelling team, and I've made friends for life here.

Cons

I've worked as a modeler with RMS for almost three years. More than half of my team has left in the last year, and two people are not able to talk about the circumstances of their departure (at least one was fired). Other teams are having similar issues. While RMS is a great place to work when things go well, management can't deal with unhappy employees. They close ranks until people quit, leave from mental... health issues, or do something they can be fired for. The working hours are awful (but vary between teams). I tracked my hours during hurricane season this year, and over 21 weeks I averaged 55.4 hours per week, excluding breaks, as did most of the team. After two hurricane seasons with these hours I was told I needed to reach harder before I'd be considered for promotion. When we complained about hours we were told that this was "company culture" by senior modelling management and were told "the EU Working Time Directive doesn't apply here" by senior HR management. Also, I'm sure this is common everywhere, but it's worth saying there are a few "known" sexual harassers in senior management who HR seem reluctant to do anything about. You usually learn about this in the pub after your first few weeks. As a man I've not had first-hand experience, but when I reported sexist remarks I overheard from one of these figures, HR told me it wasn't their problem because the remarks weren't made publicly. Note: I speak only for people working in Model Development and Model Product Management in London; I can't assume things are the same across the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Let employees give feedback on their managers. Don't tolerate sexual harassment.

Risk Management Solutions2019-02-24
  5. "RMS modeler"

Current Employee - Lead Mode in London, England

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues. Very flexible wirkinf conditions.

Cons

Very long projects. career opportunities could be wider.

Risk Management Solutions2019-01-04
  6. "Going through plenty of changes, hopefully for the better"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Overall good people Good work life balance Trying to solve interesting industry challenges

Cons

Highly political organisation (although this is showing signs of change) Some individuals continuously complain about other individuals/teams

Advice to Management

Ensure that everyone at the company is clear on the strategy the company is going to follow and that they commit to the direction.

Risk Management Solutions2018-10-25

"RMS review"

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

Good overall work life balance

Cons

Salaries are relatively low compared to competition

Risk Management Solutions2018-08-05
  8. "Good culture, could lead more on resilience"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and intelligent people, good models, fairly good working hours

Cons

-As a company I feel they could lead on resilience more than they currently do -RMS(one) has been quite rushed

Advice to Management

-Do more work to build resilience to catastrophes

Risk Management Solutions2018-04-20

"High Potential"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Risk Management Solutions full-time

Pros

RMS is the leader in the natural catastrophe modeling niche market with high brand recognition

Cons

RMS is going through a painful transition period in which the focus is shifting from developing models to new ways of delivering analytics through an innovative and visionary software platform (RMS(one))

Advice to Management

Provide clear strategy indication and focus on execution

Risk Management Solutions2018-03-09

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at Risk Management Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

When starting out it is very exciting to consider the potential impact you are having as a company i.e. understanding climate and enabling a response/solution from the insurance industry. But this quickly turns nasty.

Cons

The company has lost its way. They were hugely success and a negative spiral was enacted from their v11 launch. As a consequence of consecutive poor decisions they have found themselves under performing especially from a software development perspective. This flows directly to everyone else within the company. The frustration quickly turns on its employees and there are mass firings. Joining this company at this... moment is a very bad idea!

Advice to Management

Your people are your strength. They really care about the mission. There is also a lot of cohesion between the teams. But is being eroded by numerous reorgs. If you make bad business decisions then you need to be honest, deal with the problem and face the music. Management like to not do this. Especially Hemant points the fingers elsewhere and people get axed. This is why in October 2016 over half the leadership... left and many people beneath. And then the same thing happened in October 2017. So please deal with the real problem, which is Hemant. Get a long term vision with long term goals and start working towards them as a team. At the moment there is no evidence of that.

Risk Management Solutions2018-02-28