Rite Aid "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rite Aid Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

Rite Aid CEO Heyward Donigan
Heyward Donigan
Pros
  • "Flexible hours, most everyone there I became close with(in 129 reviews)

• "Pharmacist pushes students to their limits(in 112 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Worst Job Ever. Run away and do it as quickly as possible!"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rite Aid part-time for less than a year

Pros

Barely any but here goes. 1. The 20% employee discount. 2. Has air conditioning and heat 3. Has lots of different products to choose from. 4. You may or may not have your own locker to choose from. 5. You receive your pay on a prepaid card so you do not have to go to a bank to cash your check.

Cons

This will be one of the longest lists of cons ever posted here: 1. Inadequate training. Computer Based Training (or "CBT's) do not teach you the specific skills required for the job. They only enforce corporate policy and basic customer service procedures. You basically have to learn everything on your own. 2. Nasty and foolish customers who often toss the money across the counter when making payments instead... of handing it to you respectfully. It doesn't matter how nicely you greet them, they will treat you with the utmost disrespect. You also have to deal with the customers who give you an attitude when you card them for tobacco products. They still have to make a snide remark after you explain to them that it's the law and company policy. Customers also get mad at you when you tell them that there's a limit to how many coupons that they can use during one transaction. There's also the customers who believe that they are paying too much for a product or service and blame you for it because they have the preconceived notion that you are overcharging them. You'll also get some elderly customers who take several minutes just to find their wellness card and their money to pay for items but it's your fault that the line isn't moving fast enough. Many customers can't read or pay attention to simple details so you have to explain everything to them. 3. Terrible supervisors and management who refuse to communicate specific and important information. Many supervisors go on a power trip and believe that they can talk to you or treat you anyway they please even if it's in violation of company policy. HR and upper management will be very slow to respond to serious issues and will most likely take the side of upper management. You're expected to see through walls and predict the future. Some supervisors will scream and cuss at you just because they're having a bad day or simply because they hate you for some reason or another. Some of them are perverts, prejudice and most likely drug addicts. They always tell you how bad of a job you're doing without any sort of advice or coaching. Even if you do good, they have nothing to say about it. They also refuse to issue breaks even if you're going to work 6-8 hours. Working on your feet for that long while reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling, pushing, pulling and lifting is pretty extreme to say the least. District/upper management do not care about you or anybody else. They only care about numbers and to them, you ARE just a number. 4. The expectations are ridiculous and no matter how hard you work, it's never good enough. 5. Disrespectful and cocky co-workers who automatically assume that they're better than you are. Especially if they are the higher paid pharmacy workers. 6. It's a very careless and hateful environment. They taught me in the first month to only care about me and to see my co-workers as competition instead of a team. Also got wrote up in the first month for not affixing enough sales ad labels up at the rate they wanted me to while I was also expected to ring up customers which involved constantly stopping what I was doing. Interruptions will delay your progress and it's all your fault if you are not able to keep up. 7. The pay sucks and it's not enough to make a living off of unless you are a pharmacist, store manager or corporate. 8. Constant threats from corporate management and you're supposed to be afraid of them even when they only show up once every couple of months. 9. Every mistake is your fault even if you are not appropriately trained or new on the job. 10. Front end workers are expected to do everything on their own without any backup and if you fall behind slightly, management will not let you forget about it. In fact, you may be subject to harsh lectures and write ups. 11. Always cutting hours so there's no way to make real money there. 12. There's the classic features of favoritism and cliques. 13. You must provide your own work attire but this can be a pro or a con for some. 14. Outdated and often slow technology which can delay some transactions and enrage a lot of customers during busy times. That is your fault too. 15. Insane scheduling policy. For example, one day you'll be working a 7am-2pm, the next day could be a 4pm-10pm, the day after could be 6am-1pm and the next day could be 12pm-8pm. One week you might have 3 or 4 days off in a row and the next week you might be working 5-6 days in a row. Work/life balance can be difficult and schedules like those will negatively affect your sleep pattern and your plans. 16. They literally try to shove their vaccines down customers' throats. 17. Pretty high rate of turnover and I should have not accepted the job when I initially found out that was the case. I've seen 3 people leave in the course of about 4 months and I'll be leaving in less than a month after 7 months of pure torture. 18. Non-supervisors need approval for so many functions of the cash register that it disrupts productivity. You have to call the manager to the front of the store just to have them approve a return or a void because they believe that it's appropriate to assume that every employee is a thief and just waiting for the right moment to rob the store blind. 19. Dirty old store with a major pest problem that needs to be bulldozed or remodeled. 20. Benefits are nearly useless because the health and dental only run through one service that doesn't provide coverage everywhere. The 401k is questionable and not even interesting. The other benefits that come along with it are a joke and you cannot discover all of your benefits until you've been there long enough and have access to the Rite Aid Portal. 21. Very unprofessional environment and it is not a long term job unless you are desperate or out of your mind. 22. The occasional lazy vendor who just places new products on shelves or in cooling units without rotating and facing the products so you have to do extra work on top of all the other hordes of work that you're expected to complete. 23. New products that will not scan so you have to modify the price or call the manager on duty (MOD) to the front to resolve the issue. 24. Not a secure job but it might be good for a first job just to gain experience. It's best to tolerate as much of the nonsense as you can for about 3-6 months and find something much better and less degrading. 25. Jumbo sized cockroaches coming out of the crevices of the cracked concrete outside of the building. Also had a filthy ground area that's stained to the point where it's brown and black around the perimeter of the doorway. 26. They just throw away outdated products that are still good instead of donating them. 27. Not allowed to ring up your own purchases because you must be up to no good if you are. 28. You basically have to talk off of a script and constantly have to repeat yourself every time a customer approaches the counter. 29. The company constantly changes rules, policies, products, services and expectations. The manager might tell you about the changes but not in detail. 30. Lots of customer theft occurrences but corporate management refuses to hire loss prevention staff. 31. Constant interruptions make it difficult to complete a long list of tasks. For example: If you're towards the back of the store putting up sales tags or facing products, you have stop everything that you're doing, rush all the way to the front of the store, ring up a customer for a $2 soda or a $1 candy bar, walk all the way to the back of the store, try to finish what you were working on and repeat the interruption cycle over and over again. By the time your shift is over, you're behind on work and it's all your fault. Managers will write you up and chew you out for this. I could literally make this list much longer but these are just the cons that I can remember the most. I realize that every store may not be this bad but a lot of them are according to many of the other reviews here. If I could rate this job any lower than one star, it would be a negative 5. This has by far been the worst job that I've ever had in my life and words cannot describe how much I hate getting up and going in to work.

Advice to Management

Too long of a list but most of all, you need to learn to respect your employees. You need to pay your employees if you want them to bend over backwards for you. Have at least two people work the front end of the store so that multiple interruptions do not hinder productivity. Give your employees steady hours so that they can sleep at normal hours and have some work/life balance. TRAIN you employees properly so they... don't have to play the guessing game everyday. CBT's are not effective for training purposes because every store isn't the same. You need to learn to communicate with the rest of the store if you actually care about running business operations smoothly.

Rite Aid2015-07-12
  2. "Rite Aid Offices"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The camaraderie among teammates is very good in most areas. Everyone is willing to pitch in and help at any time.

Cons

Many recent changes in upper management. Communication has been lacking during this transition.

Rite Aid2019-10-31
  3. "Good job to gain experience"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bay City, MI

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good job to learn new skills.

Cons

Upper management tends to be disillusioned about what goes on at the store level.

Rite Aid2019-10-17
  4. "I was treated fairly, got superb database system and supporting help desk."

Former Employee - N/U Pharmacist in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Rite Aid part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Well compensated for the good service I provided.

Cons

The company is struggling to make profits, possible corruption among upper management.

Rite Aid2019-09-10
  5. "Low Ball"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Meet interesting people -Opportunity for advancement

Cons

-benefits are terrible -vacations are laughable -upper-management is clueless

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who run the stores

Rite Aid2019-09-10
  6. "Rite Aid operates on big company policies"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company fairly compensates their employees

Cons

There is a lack of support from upper management

Rite Aid2019-09-06
  7. "Going Downhill"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I directly work with are still people first, not numbers first.

Cons

The company is on a downward trend and likely to either be bought out or go out of business in the near future. Upper management turnover is alarmingly high. Upper management no longer cares about the people, just the numbers.

Rite Aid2019-09-20
  8. "Honestly, stay away."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Rite Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. Take this review seriously and go with CVS or Walgreens if you want this line of work.

Cons

Upper Management are disrespectful and do not care about their people. They want you to kill yourself physically and mentally do to severe understaffing. Pay is a joke, no one wants to work their for minimum wage and part time to get harassed daily. Rite Aid is a sinking ship do to very bad business decisions. This rolls down to you.

Rite Aid2019-10-09
  9. "A decent part time/second job."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many managers offer great flexibility for part time associates, including entry level management.

Cons

I worked, in various roles, at six different stores. there are common trends. The company has an issue with staffing, especially at the assistant and store manager level. So quite often associates are thrust into these positions with inadequate training. This often leads to frustration with lack of upper management support.

Advice to Management

The mentality of store management teams have sole responsibility to train themselves and address staffing issues is not industry standard. The one team concept applies to you as well. If the store management team does not succeed, neither do you.

Rite Aid2019-08-31
  10. "Find something else"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Rite Aid full-time for less than a year

Pros

20% employee discount. Nothing else.

Cons

Really low pay. Long hours (typical retail). Only provided any pto days after a year of service. Most upper management is incredibly unsupportive.

Advice to Management

Offer better starting pay to attract better talent. Maybe throw in a vacation/sick day or two in the beginning. Like just about every other company out there. Provide better support for the stores or at least pretend like you care. (This isn’t for all upper management. I did meet a couple great ones)

Rite Aid2019-09-07