River Island Clothing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

River Island Clothing CEO Ben Lewis
Ben Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay - paid basic minimum wage with no opportunity to increase (in 37 reviews)

• long hours and sometimes there are colleagues that don't do the task correctly (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, fun & forward moving!"

Current Employee - Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at River Island Clothing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

RI is a brilliant brand to work for offering a culture like no other. The business is continuously evolving and we've seen real progression in moving towards a multichannel retailer. The product we produce and love remains at the cutting edge of fashion and trends which really makes all the hard work worth it, delivering the customer exactly what they want!
    RI has curated extensive and "new age" training and development programmes which really give us all the confidence to feel secure in our roles and supports us to fufill our personal ambitions.
    I have built great relationships not only with my management and staff within my store but throughout my whole area which makes it easy to reach out to our area champions for support and advice.
    Not one day is the same at RI, some can be more challenging than others but this said it continues to gives us the thirst to thrive.

Cons

Customer Service Contact Centre team need more regular and correct updates on new policies and procedures.

4 Aug 2017 – Recruitment Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. This is fantastic to hear and we're so happy you're happy! We will take your feedback on board regarding our Customer Service Contact Centre... More

2. "Great company to work for during studies."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time

Pros

*Great team
    * Helpful Management(Always been helpful within uni& exam time)
    *Staff Discount on Full Price and Sales Items(40%)
    *Better salary then anywhere else for my age( National Living wage instead of National Minimum wage)

Cons

*No cons so far. :)

3. "Not great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sheffield, England
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sheffield, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount, specific contracted days rather than whatever shifts they have. People are nice to work with except for management, who are clearly not trained enough

Cons

Horrendous management, poor treatment. No flexibility, don’t take personal circumstances into consideration. You’re just a number to them, not a person

5. "Sales 4hrs"

Former Employee - Sales in Southport, England
    Former Employee - Sales in Southport, England

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

60% off clothing
    Sometimes flexible
    Quick to train new staff
    For fill a few job roles eg delivery/stock room/ floor/ tills

Cons

Unachievable work expectations
    A lot of pay roll errors
    Regularly asked to come in with little notice
    Holiday requests often hard to get approved
    Have to control own payslips/ book holidays online on oracle
    Ridiculous increase in hours towards Christmas (4 to 20/30)
    Not allowed to talk to other staff on the floor
    Young staff spoken down to
    Training not always consistent

Advice to Management

Change oracle system, change rules about talking in the shop floor makes working a long shift almost unbearable, more respect for younger staff. Have more training methods than being shown around.

6. "Horrible- would not recommend working here"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time

Pros

Can not think of any other than the discount but that is still not that good because there is a low limit to spend

Cons

Manager is not considerate and half the time forces you to do overtime when you have other things to do- like uni work. The manager doesn’t really speak nicely to staff. If mistakes are made she would be rude in front of customers and will not pull you aside.

Poor training. For example, when till trained they just talk you through what to do and then just make you use the till. When mistakes are made they said you have to come in out of shift hours for more training.

The rest of the staff are okay but they are nice to you to your face and most are rude behind your back. If you ask for help some are rude.

Unrealistic expectations. They expect you to do so much in an unrealistic amount of time. Also, manager took half of my lunch when I was working a long shift because I couldnt do the tasks

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to people better and don’t pressurise people.

7. "A part time job is what it is"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England

I worked at River Island Clothing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't really remember any? I would say discounts but you'd only have a limit amount to spend. Free uniform but you couldn't get the same outfit as your colleague so that was annoying.

Cons

As people have said it gets very cliquey and I had a manager than was just out to get me for doing something wrong. They hated when you couldn't work lates around Christmas when I had uni early in the morning. Not considerate but to some.

Advice to Management

Be understanding of people's commitments, they do have lives outside of work not just retail.

8. "Lots of Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at River Island Clothing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership team continue to take feedback on board and increase their presence in the business. High accountability and flexibility in my particular area.

Cons

Unclear progression path and employees are not necessarily given opportunities based on their strengths. A lot of work to be done around transparency of information, company vision and the part employees have to play within the bigger picture - this is especially poor at store level. Decision making and the speed at which new initiatives are launched is slow.

Advice to Management

The potential is there to improve upon these issues, however this needs to start from the CEO whose presence is not felt enough and when it is, comes across as though he lacks passion for the brand and the focus is solely on profit. A few tips on charisma from Richard Branson wouldn't go amiss.

27 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We will take your comments on board and pass these on to the relevant people.

9. "part time sales assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay Salary
    Staff discount
    Get to chose your own working hours

Cons

Training Program/Induction is vague

27 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we will take your feedback re training on board.

10. "Dated but strong."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Manchester, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding staff benefits & a solid pay system. Great training. New store layouts are good, and management are amazing. Room for promotion is avaliable and opportunity for progression is welcomed.

Cons

Systems such as tills and MPOS Scanners are incredibly outdated and are slow. Hangers for garments are weak & garments are on the floor easier as a result.

Advice to Management

Organisation and time-keeping could be improved.

27 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your review. The company are actively reinvesting in technology in order to improve what we currently have in place.

11. "no incentives let you down"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Southampton, England

I have been working at River Island Clothing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good discount, uniform allowance, can feel like a family

Cons

managers can look down on you, no incentive to do well-store orders.

27 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review - we'll take your comments on board.