River Island Clothing Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Jul 28, 2020

Found 27 of over 1,651 reviews

3.9
Pros
  • "Good benefits - staff discount, uniform allowance; friendly team(in 150 reviews)

• "250 plus uniform allowance every 6-8 weeks(in 138 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Christmas is tough, like anywhere else, but I found Christmas tough due to long hours(in 62 reviews)

• "The salary they offer is only minimum wage(in 49 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Sales advisor

Sep 29, 2016 - Sales Advisor in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great staff discount and felixble working hours.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage, no bonus

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your review and taking the time to complete it.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work as a sales assistant, river island

Oct 16, 2014 - Sales Advisor in Cardiff, Wales, Wales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discount! haha good team and friendly staff, hours suit my schedule, mostly weekend work as I'm a student, but its nice to work with a young like minded team and learnt a lot about the retail and fashion industry.

Cons

Pay is pretty much minimum wage, hours around sale time can be demanding, and if you're full time you are expected to work more than rotad to. Poor money for unsociable times swell, with late evenings and weekend work. Dull work at times and the job can become very tedious.

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We'll take your feedback on board.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst Job I Have Ever Had.

May 23, 2014 - Footwear in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

During my time at RI i met some lovely people. Thats about the only good part about working there.

Cons

where to start?! *the rate of pay. minimum wage and working 40 hours weeks. I couldn't afford to eat some months as i had rent to pay on my flat and the expenses of traveling to work and other bills. I was only earning around £850 a month. My rent alone was £500 I was then pulled up because i wasn't buying enough RI clothing. I couldn't afford to even with the discount. Eating was more important to me. *NO SICK PAY! i had fully blown flu for 2 weeks and have never been so unwell in my entire life but couldn't take time off work due to the company refusing to pay sick pay. i would not have been able to pay rent. I later learned that it is at the managers discretion. She saw how unwell i was, i could hardly even open my eyes because the light was causing me so much pain...yet my manager never once even acknowledged how sick i was. I still haven't recovered fully from those 2 weeks of working non stop, processing deliveries, heavy lifting while trying to cope with the flu. *the lack of opportunities in working your way up through the company. If your face doesn't fit...your out of luck. *and so much more! I have worked in retail for a long time....RI was by far the worst place i have ever worked.

Recruitment Controller

Sorry you did not enjoy your time with River Island but we value your feedback.

4. 2.0

Ridiculous

May 25, 2014 - Stocks Operations Assistant in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get 30% off all products, and you get a free uniform allowance every 3 months, where you can get tops and bottoms for free. Also good for hiring students, and as they have a high turnover of staff, there are often jobs available.

Cons

As a lower level employee who does manual work (i.e processing deliveries of stock), we get treated disgustingly in comparison to the sales advisors that work in store. We are spoken to like filth by several managers in our store, and are made to feel unimportant and below the other members of staff. No discount cards so a manager has to authorise staff discount; which they they complain about to every other member of staff in sight whilst still in front of you. There is little to no room to grow in the business, as we are given so few hours (between 9 and 15 a week) you cannot prove yourself enough to gain a promotion. Also, level 2 supervisors are treated disgustingly. They receive 10p more than minimum wage per hour, and yet have a huge list of responsibilities, which they are held accountable for should something go wrong.

Recruitment Controller

Sorry you did not enjoy your time with River Island but we value your feedback.

5. 3.0

Mixed Bag

Apr 29, 2016 - Customer Service in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loads of young staff so always someone to chat to 40% staff discount Quarterly uniform allowance In-store DJ on payday weekend which gave a fun atmosphere Always kept busy so shifts don't drag as much

Cons

Management are useless Lots of rude senior staff with terrible attitudes Have to empty your bag and pockets into a clear plastic box when leaving work at store closure, time consuming and an invasion of privacy Frequently underpaid Poor pay, basic minimum wage Always got out of work late Nobody in the company seems to have a clue what's going on, nobody even realised I'd left my job until several months later! They were still paying me odd amounts for 3 months after I worked my final shift which was good for me but I'd imagine not so good for the company. Such a high turnover of staff anyone could walk in off the street and claim to work there and I don't think anyone would question them.

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

One of the worst places I've worked in

Sep 6, 2014 - Sales Assistant in West Thurrock, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing really, there we're supposedly staff discounts which I never saw or used

Cons

The management were rude and disrespectful. It was a really catty atmosphere, bad communication between management. I left because they messed up my holiday, accused me of "no showing" considering I notified them of my holiday as it was booked before I was employed and also booked it and it was supposedly authorised. Also left because one day before the start of my shift, I sat in the tea room while the management and staff insulted and spoke about me not realising I was in the room, invited me to join in the conversation until I brought it to their attention that I'm the girl they have so much to say about. Quit on that day wrote a long complaint to head office and never got a response, If you want to be bullied and discriminated in the work place while working for pittance on minimum wage for money that won't even cover the costs of their faulty cheaply made over priced clothes, then definitely apply to River Island.

Recruitment Officer

We're sorry you felt this way, thanks for your review.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Managers were rude and lacked communication skills, poor pay, long hours.

Aug 3, 2017 - Retail Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff discount was good. The other people on the same level as me were very friendly.

Cons

Supervisors often spoke in a rude manner if they had an issue with an employee. I worked in Glasgow and all the Supervisors/shop floor managers were friends so it was obvious they were only promoted because of that and all of them were woman, not a single male member of staff was promoted there. I was part-time but the hours I did were far too long, I did an 8 hour shift and a 6 hour shift twice a week. The pay was terrible for the amount of work I was doing during the Christmas period. It was close to minimum wage. \ No progression unless you're a friend of the supervisors and managers.

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry your feel this way. As a current employee please feel comfortable to raise your concerns with Management or HR. Promotions are based on the successful candidates performance and their ability to demonstrate that they're ready for the next move. With regards to pay, we pay all our Sales Advisors at least the National Living Wage ensuring we remain competitive with the rest of the high street. Progression is down to how much the individual wish to progress. We have all the tools in place to support them but ultimately we would expect our employees to drive this themselves.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Seems like a good company to work your way up in

May 26, 2014 - Member of Senior Management in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great product and staff discounts - Good company to work your way up into - Very efficient operational/ boh organisation - Good place to work if you like strict structure

Cons

- Hard to adjust to working environment if you are coming from another company at a management level - Very set way of doing everything and you HAVE to do it that way - Very opposed to any suggestions of alternative ways of doing things (especially if you have come from another company) - Not very good benefits (apart from staff discount), even for management - Regular staff are minimum wage, even in London, so high turnover of staff - Too many members of management at various levels and not many staff - Very strict working environment

Recruitment Officer

Thanks for your feedback on River Island.

9. 1.0

Operations Assistant

Dec 17, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked in River Island for 6 months and the best of the job was defenetly interacting with my colleagues. You could meet in one building so many people from all over the world.

Cons

You get paid in River Island the minimum wage and the Managers don't care about you. Actually, in River Island there are to many managers who feel frustrated to be in a very fast pace job with constant changes of staff. And if you want to apply for a different position within the company it is very difficult because the managers don't put the vacancies that are available within the store in the staff room so you will never know if you don't ask the manager in the right time. The process is very unfair!!

Head of Talent Acquisition

I am disappointed to read your review and apologises that you did not enjoy your time with us - I will pass on your comments

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Would not recommend

Feb 8, 2016 - Style Advisor in Leeds, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great relationship between staff at store level. Service is its main priority which is good in todays retail experience. Excellent uniform and discount allowances.

Cons

Minimum wage for staff, should be higher, very little reward goes to the staff- have known management take rewards intended for staff. Poor internal progression unless you can change stores a lot. A lot of changes need to be made, costs are often cut at the expense of its staff reducing morale and can often seem unfair.

Head of Talent Acquisition

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with River Island - we are working on the points you raised

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews