Road Scholar Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Road Scholar Reviews

Updated Aug 2, 2019

3.2
Road Scholar President and CEO Jim Moses (no image)
Jim Moses
Pros
  • "Good Work Environment, Nice Management, Good benefits, good work life balance, some room for growth(in 10 reviews)

• "As a whole, Road Scholar is arguably one of the best employers I've ever had(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "seasonal only, low pay, long hours, sometimes difficult customers(in 10 reviews)

• "But you have to keep in mind that this is a non-profit organization(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for less than a year

Pros

All good - interesting and fun organization

Cons

No cons— good work environment,

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Road Scholar2019-07-30

"Good Company that has some flaws"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are good people that work at Road Scholar, and most of the employees care deeply about the programs that the company provides. There is a generous 403(b) employer match program.

Cons

Zero room for growth or upward mobility in some departments. Non-competitive salaries for amount of work and effort that some employees put in. A lack of accountability for employees that constantly make mistakes. The change management team doesn’t necessarily facilitate changes all that well. On occasion a terrible office band plays in the community space which can disrupt work.

Advice to Management

Create a more defined career path for employees. End the jam band.

Road Scholar2019-08-02
  3. "Review"

Former Employee - Travel Agent

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great CEO, beautiful programs, and awesome mission statement

Cons

Upward mobility difficult, unless you're close with management , high stress if you're part of any of the call centers

Road Scholar2019-07-15

"Good culture and positive mission"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance Interesting projects Excellent benefits

Cons

Lower salary at a non-profit

Advice to Management

Stay the course

Road Scholar2019-04-17

"Excellent Company Culture"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company culture is excellent, everyone is warm an welcoming. Great benefits--gym onsite at the Boston location, holiday time off and paid time off is sufficient. Schedule is pretty flexible, which is helpful for those with kids or that need to go to Doctors appointment

Cons

The company can be disorganized with processes. It makes is challenging to learn how to do tasks and meet expectations. It's not clear how one can grow in the company-there is no road map currently, but HR is working on it.

Road Scholar2019-04-03
  6. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A mission driven, not-for-profit organization

Cons

Unclear career path at all levels

Road Scholar2019-04-04
  7. "123456"

I have been working at Road Scholar full-time

Pros

good environment and friendly employer

Cons

sometimes too busy and lack of bouns

Advice to Management

professional training could help improve the performance of employees

Road Scholar2019-03-27

"Stress based work culture"

Former Employee - Programs in Boston, MA

I worked at Road Scholar full-time

Pros

- good benefits package, not good enough health insurance

Cons

- zero training - hatred and competition between departments, no collaboration - no work life balance - very low pay I worked at Road Scholar in multiple positions over a year and a half. At one point I was literally filling 3 roles, with zero training, and it took many months to fill another position. In that time I experienced was put through consistent discrimination and bullying from members of my team.... Management left for 3 months one month after I started and did not appoint anyone to train or assist me in that time. The only way I received any assistance in this role was threatening to quit every week to senior leadership. I was put in many uncomfortable situations with customers because I didn't have the tools to do the job. The worst was when I had to train someone new whose manager refused to take responsibility for them. This person sat in a windowless room alone without any assignments for about a month. They were not on my team and did not do similar work, however I had filled "the same" role for many months and I guess they thought someone who hadn't quit was the best to "train" them despite not having any tools myself. My manager was kind when they returned, but was unable to create a healthy workplace or workload. Eventually I almost lost my life due to illness exacerbated by this job. I was very clear to my manager the entire time that the work environment and load was depleting my health, however no one was able to provide reasonable accommodations to improve the position. Please do not work at Road Scholar if you value yourself or your well being. This company absolutely, in entirely no way, values their employees.

Advice to Management

Create a training program for ALL entry level positions led by MANAGEMENT.

Road Scholar2019-04-15

"Abysmal Compensation"

Former Employee - Program Guide

I worked at Road Scholar part-time for more than a year

Pros

The actual job -- leading groups of elders on educational programs -- can be very rewarding. The office staff provides great back-up for program guides, and there are many opportunities for training and skills development.

Cons

The job can also be incredibly trying -- juggling many logistics at the same time, occasional high maintenance participants, dealing with both physical and psychological crises -- and on top of all that, getting paid very little. Expectations are very high for program guides, and yet the pay rate ranges from minimum wage (literally) to a bit more than that when you're on the road with a group. Road Scholar makes a... point of telling participants that all tips are included in their fees, but the program guides I worked with (and myself) never got those tips.

Advice to Management

Re-consider your compensation package for program guides, who are the most important link in your customer service chain.

Road Scholar2019-03-01
  10. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Support in Lowell, MA

I worked at Road Scholar full-time for more than a year

Pros

You sit in one place all day and talk to old people who are usually nice enough

Cons

You sit in the same place all day and talk on the phone and listen to peoples complaints all day

Road Scholar2019-03-01