Robert Gordon University Reviews

3.2
Robert Gordon University Principal & Vice-Chancellor Ferdinand von Prondzynski
Ferdinand von Prondzynski
Pros
Cons
  • "At RGU, unfortunately, neither is valued at all by senior management(in 3 reviews)

• "Modules, superficiality of some lecturers(in 3 reviews)

1. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Career Consultant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time

Pros

Have worked almost twenty years at RGU and love my role supporting students and graduates.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day during busy term-times sometimes.

2. "Amazing uni"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time

Pros

Tech, labs, buildings, support, staff

Cons

Modules, superficiality of some lecturers.

3. "Rubbish"

1.0
    Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is written "university" on the gate - but that it. In more than 10 years of higher education around the world, I have never seen so low. A pathetic workplace where the untold mission is to give away degree to the weakest. If you have ever dream to work in a kindgarden, you will have the joy to "teach" toddler adults.

Cons

There are too many to be listed, but be ready to endure the pain to work there - and above all - the pain to work with their below-the-bar and incompetent local staff.

Continue reading
  4. "Good conditions, limited scope of work"

Former Employee - Customer Support Supervisor in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Robert Gordon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and flexible working conditions

Cons

Limited scope for increasing responsibilities; a number of team members under utilised and willing to do more, but get nothing.

5. "A jumped up polytechnic with delusions of grandeur"

1.0
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary was once pretty decent but the rest of the sector caught up. Lovely riverside campus, but it's a shame nobody thought about how usable the buildings would be. A convenient bus stop.

Cons

This is a university that has never shaken off the mindset of a further education college. I have never worked in a more distrustful, suspicious environment. There's almost no delegated authority, no independence of action, and barely any control over your own schedule. Want to work from home? You better hope you have an indulgent line manager or you're prepared to fight your corner under customs and practice legislation. Fancy putting in for a small, convenient pool of research money? Prepare for it to go through several levels of pointless middle management and paperwork. Student got a complaint about how you teach? Change how you teach. No, it doesn't matter if the complaint is groundless or the student is feckless. Your job is to slavishly serve the NSS and the student liaison committee. Do you enjoy deep work? I hope you can do it in an open plan office because that shaves a few percentage points of cost per head off the university's bottom line. Oh, open plan offices have been shown to be poison for knowledge work? Where do you think you work, a university? Boy, do I have news for you. This is an institution that simply does not trust its lecturers to be lecturers. Nobody gets a permanent lectureship in higher education these days without putting in long, long hours of work. They're in it for the love of the job, not because of the management of the university. They're not RGU people that do what they do. They're people that do what they do that just so happen to have the misfortune of working at RGU until they can escape. All your panopticon, constant micromanagement nonsense does is put them off doing anything because it's never worth the hassle. When I was there, we lost about thirty people in the department in five years. I have never known a rate of attrition so severe. And do you know what I was asked when I resigned? Absolutely nothing. No, 'Hey, why can't we keep staff?'. There is a crippling morale problem in RGU and nobody cares enough to ask 'what can we do to fix it?' Avoid like it's a plague that's infected with another, more virulent plague.

Continue reading
  6. "Good benefits and support from staff."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good university with good benefits and competitive salaries.

Cons

Hierachies can be a bit of an issues when you are trying to express new ideas.

7. "Good training"

Current Employee - Graduate Student

I have been working at Robert Gordon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great school for learning, and a good study environment.

Cons

Nothing that i can think of.

8. "Good starting point"

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting environment and great location.

Cons

Issues with management and leadership; the university is focusing more on teaching than research or training provision.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Commercial Officer

I have been working at Robert Gordon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good employee benefits such as pension and holiday allowance. Staff are very friendly.

Cons

N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

"Great job but shocking management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Education Liaison Officer in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Robert Gordon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best bits - working with colleagues at other universities. Most schools in university were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Phenomenally demanding senior management. Unrealistic expectations. They had no idea what they were doing half the time. High staff turnover in this department.

Found 42 reviews