Robert Walters Associate Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 1 Jan 2020

5.0
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters
  1. "Great company to work for with fantastic opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment - given both autonomy to get on with work, whilst support is there if needed In-house training is of an excellent standard, really helped coming from a non-recruitment background Really good career opportunities, RW are big on internal progression and rewarding people for the work they put in. Definitely a meritocratic environment

Cons

As per all recruitment agencies, the hours can be long

Robert Walters2018-03-14
  2. "Great company to work for and a good start to a career in London"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very good training from start to finish of your time there. Always available when needed/requested at all levels. - Management is always there when you need help or guidance while also giving you responsibility to run your own desk. - People at the company are friendly and welcoming while a team ethos is encouraged making the environment a lovely place to work. - Creativity is encouraged in trying new things to succeed.

Cons

Long working hours but that comes with Recruitment as a whole. New systems are being put in place which causes IT malfunctions from time to time.

Advice to Management

Keep giving flexibility in terms of work life balance.

Robert Walters2018-02-17
  3. "Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

theres lots of support from the team and its very team focussed

Cons

micro management by senior management

Robert Walters2017-09-04

"It is a real 'love it or hate it' kind of place"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

+Excellent basic salary which is usually well beyond the industry norm +Direct client contact from very early on in career +Excellent on the job and structured training at the start

Cons

+ It is such a large company that some times it is hard to feel valued + Bonuses are discretionary and decided behind closed doors (bonuses could be anywhere between 5% and 20%) +There is very little structure and support after initial training period is completed +Hours are very long, usually between 8:30 and 7 which is beyond what most in the industry would be expected to do

Robert Walters2015-10-27

"Overall, good company but very little training / individual development which can leave frustration."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

International opportunities - both within Robert Walters and Resource Solutions. Great Brand Good team ethos (generally).

Cons

Very little training - only promoted through the amount of revenue you bring in. No consideration of other areas which may contribute to being promoted, therefore many leave through frustration and little support. No flexi working, working from home. No work life balance at all. Micromanagement. Repetitive work.

Advice to Management

Find ways to promote staff fairly and quickly to avoid people leaving through frustration. Allow flexible working, treat staff more like adults.

Robert Walters2014-09-06
  6. "Good place for making money"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Able to make a lot of money quickly (If you put in the effort) -Pretty relaxed work environment (Besides dress code..) - Expensed dinners/lunches with clients and candidates at really nice restaurants

Cons

-The job is really repetitive (Call/email people about jobs..that's 80% of your job) -Can be pretty high pressure/stressful environment -The team you end up on really affects your work environment and style. Some managers are really cool and let you do your own thing (As long as you make enough money), but some can be really strict and micro-manage. You should definitely ask your potential managers what their management style is like. -Have to wear suits everyday (If you're a guy).

Advice to Management

Don't make people wear suits everyday..pretty old-school.

Robert Walters2020-01-02
  7. "Great training, good support"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Training *Team spirit *Support from managers *Clear targets

Cons

*Fast pace can be tricky for some people *Sometimes too much KPI oriented culture

Advice to Management

Pay managers for leading the team, not for both: Being a consultant and leading a team. Possibly managers are too busy to properly concentrate on leading their team.

Robert Walters2019-07-11

"Unprofessional Supervisors"

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Networking opportunities with major companies & their executives Positive company outlook Salary package Consultants across teams typically friendly

Cons

Unfair distribution of team quarterly bonuses OT Bully-like pressure within teams, particularly from managers/assoc. directors Unclear and changing expectations Discriminatory remarks toward certain nationalities

Advice to Management

Normalize bonus distribution system in a way that is more transparent to consultants. Team managers need to act more professional, hold back from expressing rage toward subordinates.

Robert Walters2018-10-24

"Bullied, enforce heavy pressure."

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

[Great System] Robert Walters Japan has a great system, if you make placements you will get promotion and you will get good incentives. There are people who own debts, student loans like fee millions and this job can help them pay it off. It is a money making paradise. [Not bad work life balance] Work life balance is better than Japanese companies (usually last train). If you are experience and hit your targets you can leave 6-7 on time. If not, you will have to stay late night which is only around 3 hours overtime before you are the last one there. But of course depending on teams, some teams even get extra pillow time(come to work late tickets) if you hit your head hunt targets. [Good training programs] Also very good training program, give you classroom sessions for study just like in college. The people who will be teaching you are the best in the world. The training you receive at Robert Walters are priceless. Robert Walters is the best in Tokyo interms of revenue.

Cons

People there is horrible, I would say most of them. I am totally fine if sales environment only cares about money but they will bully specially new comers all they can. The worse is that even after I left the company they still do it when they saw me in a restaurant. [Gossip and rumors] People there love to gossip. The company started a rumor about something that is not true about me and the whole company even the payroll knows and when I ask around colleagues who are close to me, they said they had experience similar situations. I am also bullied because of my personal hobbies they think is too childish or “gay”. [Money driven only] People there only cares about money, they will treat you according to your billing record either to have lunch with you or waste of time. The worse is that they treat it to their candidates and clients as well. If a candidate they first though will be a placement, they will buy you diner and spend hours with you, once you get rejected only a email farewell goodbye because you don’t make them money anymore. Consultants don’t spend time preparing candidates or help fixing their resumes and give advisories because that don’t make them money. [Experience after leaving the company] The town is small, sometimes we walk to to each other. It makes no sense to drag work related hatred or old rumors to someone who left already. [Conclusion] This is only my own personal experience, I am sure many people like the company. I wasn’t going to write about it until a I was bullied after I left the company. It had bother me for months. But I guess it is good to let others know the pros and cons about the company.

Advice to Management

From what I experienced, not thing really matters not even education in Robert Walters Japan. In future interviews just accept anyone who are hungry for money and are willing give all for it.

Robert Walters2018-09-04

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Tokyo

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent training system - Great office - Strong culture - No micromanagement

Cons

- Overemphasis on KPI's: some weeks are different than others, and headhunts can seem far and few between in more mature markets.

Advice to Management

There's always room to improve the training system beyond the probation period. A mentor system is helpful, but you're kind of left to find your own way once you complete basic training.

Robert Walters2018-07-17