Robert Walters Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 1/ young and international working environment (in 27 reviews)

• work life balance (as much as recruitment will allow) (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance could be better (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours, especially in the early days (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic career opportunities and development"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work as part of the management team at Robert Walters and have been in the business 9 years this year. Having started as a junior consultant working within the front office, with hard work and commitment, I was promoted to manager of my team and then the wider division. Consequently 7 years later, another opportunity presented itself to oversee a back office function broadening my career, proving this business rewards and recognises hard work and dedication.

- Fantastic career opportunities both within the UK and globally
    - A supportive and collaborative environment with a dedicated training team
    - Hard work however highly rewarding
    - Encouragement to build and develop client relationships through client entertainment
    - Generous basic salaries
    - Encourages entrepreneurial thinking
    - A supportive and encouraging management team with an open door policy
    - Annual incentive weekends at various global destinations for high achievers, the next incentive is in Thailand!
    - Charity days which are great fun
    - Summer sports days

Cons

- The hours in recruitment can be long however the role is so busy there is very little time to clock watch!

2. "Great leadership, team spirit and career opportunities"

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketing is regional, with a budget to invest in local marketing activities that directly affect each individuals market.

Resources and investment is channelled towards endeavours that enable the creation and maintenance close business relationships, meaning each individual and each team are encouraged to host events, both large scale (e.g. quiz / curry nights) and more close and tactile events (such as Football boxes / Tennis / Cricket events)

The business actively engages in local business community - participating in events such as the West Midlands Finance Awards, Birmingham Chambers Events and Women in Business events and encourages us all to get involved

We are a big brand, we have a great back office and excellent central operations however locally, we can trade in a flexible enough way that we ensure our clients get a truly individual, flexible experience

The local Management in each regional, and certain in my office are not time served veterans who have landed in a leadership role because of tenure and personal favour with the higher echelons - instead they are all proven deliverers at the coal face, who have a a good legacy of delivery in their local markets and add real value to the performance of the teams, the individuals in those teams and are never too far removed away from the coal face no matter how high they advance.

The business constantly invests in technology, and have the best local infrastructure - which means our offices are in the right place, we have technology to be able to do our jobs where ever we are (home or at work or even on the move) and more so, the business encourages and trusts us with the flexibility that comes with being able to take our devices home and work from there.

Flexibility is something that cant be overstated - all too often employers say that they are flexible but in reality people are chained to their office desks 95% of the working week - we really do have flexibility and a leadership team that trusts its people to embrace & value this flexibility, which is empowering in an industry that at times can be quite cynical of its own people's work ethic (hence chaining to their desks 95% of the time).

Pay, bonus and benefits is brilliant - and is centred around everyone doing well, and benefiting from the fruits of this labour.

What you don't have here is one or two person making eye wateringly colossal bonuses with everyone else being sold the promise of what they could earn but in reality, have to work 75 hours a week and feel like you are selling your soul to get a decent income / bonus... People get paid well, people get bonus and there really is a spirit of wanting to help everyone do well because well all benefit - we really are all in this together.

Local leadership hire the right people, and consult with the team when making hiring decisions. In this way, we mitigate the risk that we hire the wrong type of personality for this environment so there is less frequency of people coming and going than in other places I have worked.

I feel I have a career here, within a business that encourages me to be as good as I can be amongst a leadership team and peer group that I trust, are effective and will go above and beyond for me.. as I will for them.

We have a big brand - and we actively seek to leverage of this brand - building local business relationships that in turn become national or tapping into global business that has presence in our local markets.

We have a great culture here - locally the leadership team are attentive to ensuring the right type of culture and environment exists and persists.

Cons

Our normal working hours are not too dissimilar usual working day of 9-5, and there is a lot of flexibility. Things can change all of a sudden, a client may have an urgent need, a candidate can only meet early in the morning, or the only time you can get feedback from candidate interviews is after work - this means that you will at times need to start earlier, or feel that you are working much later than your normal working hours - that's the nature of recruitment, but what it may mean to some that the returns that come from meeting that candidate early in the morning (and placing them and making a decent fee) is not worth the sacrifice of the extra hour in bed, or the interruption to your evening meal... those who adhere too closely to the formal working hours may struggle / are disappointed as the occasional early morning or late night is the norm.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting your local leaderships and ensure the tools and resources are consistently there to allow them to lead.

3. "Great place to progress your career- if you work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mature work environment
    incentivised well with good bonuses
    promotion is pretty transparent
    enjoyable work culture
    RW gives you all the tools in which to succeed
    Marketing team is second to none

Cons

Work life balance- but its recruitment and it is self inflicted!

Advice to Management

Continue along with the current culture- RW is very forward thinking, so keep remaining ahead of the trend is key

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The business is innovative and supports employees who think outside of the box
    - The best working environment i have ever worked in - great team culture
    - rewards hard work and recognizes your achievements
    - work life balance (as much as recruitment will allow)

Cons

- Like all recruitment business's there is pressure to perform

6. "Great Business to work for"

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomous and Mature, yet fun working environment
    Provide mobile phones and laptops enabling you to work from home
    They understand the value of building relationships with clients and candidates and give you the freedom to go ahead and do that with very few limitations

Cons

As with all recruitment businesses, it's longer working hours in comparison to a basic 9-5, however, time goes quickly when you're busy and you enjoy the environment you work in.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people, great working environment with a grown up attitude to work life balance. We are also lucky enough to be able to add value through various events / marketing campaigns and from an employee perspective we have great benefits!

Cons

If you consider a hands-off management style and an entrepreneurial company a downside, then they are the only things! But for me there are no cons to working here.

8. "Fantastic Forward Thinking Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, Collaboration & Communication from MD and all management within the business as well as the wider group is great
    Able to offer an excellent service to our clients and candidates.
    They embrace change and move with the times in order to be the best at what they do.
    Excellent employer. Very supportive and caring. Understands how to get the best out of us by encouragement, training, recognition! Great benefits and commission scheme! Targets are not unrealistic and you are expected to work hard, but then that is to be expected!

Cons

- Not for the faint hearted.
    - You will lose sleep - but if you cant handle a stressful job at one point in your life, then you should probably reconsider your ambition.
    - You must be willing to overcome adversity and believe that you will come out on top.
    - Long hours... but only if you work hard and not smart.

Advice to Management

- Get more of an insight as to what each consultant is actually doing. Make sure that they are actively expanding their market knowledge and making the effort to submerse themselves in to the area that they cover via their Seniors.
    -Increase the short term incentives to kick-start the newer recruits eg early finish etc It'll easily improve work efficiency.

9. "Grown Up Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Treated very much like an adult and trusted to manage your own desk
    - Strong Associate Director team
    - Good networking events
    - Strong existing relationships with clients
    - Good incentives & opportunity to be promoted & increase salary

Cons

- Slight grey area when it comes to bonus however, generally works out well and in your favour as long as you are hitting targets which, are all realistic and achievable

Advice to Management

Continue to promote BD days & put more energy and focus into them when they happen to keep everyone motivated and competitive

"More clicky than the kardashians"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at Robert Walters (More than a year)

Pros

Good people for the most part. Lots of team based incentives.

Cons

Too slow to promote. Don't reward successes that well. Poor bonuses.

The senior management is also a joke, never visible on the floor and they do not treat poor performers well.

Advice to Management

Think about who you have in management positions.

Robert Walters Response

6 Dec 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed the team based incentives and met good people within the business.

We’re sorry to hear you felt we were... More

11. "Be wary"

Former Employee - Consultant in Guildford, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in Guildford, England

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are decent on the whole.

If you’re new to recruitment then it’s a good company to train with. Be aware though that they have a one-size-fits-all approach, which isn’t useful in the real world of recruitment.

Cons

Layers upon layers of management, processes, and ridiculous KPIs.
    Team-based commission, so if you’re doing well but the others don’t contribute then you won’t get a bean.
    Treating experienced professionals as though they’re kids.
    Long hours, no flexible working.
    Very high turnover in Guildford - a consequence of managers not being management material. It’s a wonder that this office is still open.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like adults, reward hard work individuals who perform well. Show flexibility rather than continue with the ridiculously rigid approach. Hire experienced people and pay them well rather than people with no experience who you expect to hit the ground running.