Royal Australian Navy Employee Reviews about "away from family"

Updated 22 Nov 2020

4.1
Royal Australian Navy Chief of Navy Vice Admiral Tim Barrett
Vice Admiral Tim Barrett
Pros
  • "The benefits are good, such as medical and dental(in 8 reviews)

• "chances to go places, good place your start your career, free medical, dental(in 5 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "away from family"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good"

Current Employee - E3 - Navy - Seaman in Potts Point

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time

Pros

- travel - free medical and dental

Cons

- away from family - long hours

2. "Great Job - see the world"

Current Employee - General Manager in Canberra

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great culture, leadership, strategy and prospects.

Cons

time away from family and friends.

3. "Logistics Officer"

Current Employee - Logistics Officer in Sydney

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travelling around the world is an amazing opportunity to see the world

Cons

Time away from family can be difficult

"Royal Australian Navy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Interesting Work -Good people to work with -Visit interesting places (sometimes) -Good superannuation scheme -Good rental assistance to subsidise the cost of renting -Dynamic environment

Cons

-Long time away from family -Fixed wage encourages "dead-wood" employees to hang around past their usefulness to the organisation. They end up sucking the life out of the organisation and prevent opportunities for younger members to progress -It takes a long time to complete training -Dynamic environment leads to daily crisis-management

Continue reading
  5. "A career worth looking into"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and conditions. Free medical and Dental. subsidized accomodation. lots of courses you can use after you leave. Great friends and professional outfit. Bullying is not tolerated.

Cons

Time away from family is tough. recent Defence ministers have all been idiots. Too Politically correct at times. Too much emphasis on teaching common sense instead of screening for it when recruiting.

6. "ET Navy"

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy

Pros

The benefits are good, such as medical and dental. Also housing is subsidized which is a massive pro.

Cons

Have to travel alot, new posting every two years not neccesarily in the same location. Not a huge amount of career satisfaction, have to go to sea (obviously) and be away from family for months at a time.

7. "career"

CPOMT in Sydney

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy

Pros

travel, pay, subsidies, and get to defend Australia

Cons

away from family for too long

8. "Ableseaman ETP"

ABETP in Adelaide

I worked at Royal Australian Navy

Pros

I was only in for 3 year and it was before 2011. I did my basic training at HMAS Cerberus and after 12 week, went on wash deck locker for 2 month waiting for an opening for my rate (which is what I was going to do while in the navy). The school of Electronic at Cerberus would be as good as any other tech school in civvie land. Money was good and travel all around the world if you stay in long enough.

Cons

Away from family for long period of time, your qualifications aren’t recognized out of the Navy unless you went in as a midshipmen. (I don't know these day whether they are know or not but in my day you would have to do a bridging course to get qualification's). My posting then was to the HMAS Viking which was a training ship for midshipman docked at Perth.

9. "Pros and Cons to RAN for a female"

Current Employee - LSCIS in Darwin

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Learn to respect and be respected. Travel the world for free. security. Enjoy your work. The biggest Pro when you need a change of scenery you don't need to change jobs just post to a different location/ office. March in your uniform for ANZAC Day, which carries so much pride. Be awarded medals Free training

Cons

working hard ( which isn't that bad) sacrificing time away from family

10. "Navy"

1.0

I have been working at Royal Australian Navy

Pros

travel, sailing the high seas meeting alot of different people from different cultures, marching in the city of sydney on Anzac day

Cons

alot of time away from family. being treated like a child every day, duties,poor pay only able to stay in one spot for 2 years

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews