Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Royal Bank of Scotland CEO Ross McEwan
Ross McEwan
1,389 Ratings
Cons
  1. "Challenging but rewarding role"

Former Employee - Associate Personal Banker in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland part-time for more than a year

Pros

Improved many skills including customer service, teamwork, time management etc. Gained experience working in a high pressure, professional environment.

Cons

Can be challenging at times, working independently.

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-25
  2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior HRBP in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots to do and be involved in.

Cons

Silo nature of various HR functions responsible for different parts of the EE and business journies menat you weren't involved e2e.

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-12-02
  3. "Fx Sales at royal bank of Scotland"

Current Employee - FX Sales in Manchester, England

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RBS has a great culture and some great leaders. You're supported to develop yourself personally and you get the chance to work out of different offices

Cons

The benefits package isn't amazing but it's good nonetheless. It can take quite some time to get promoted so bear this in mind when wanting to progress to the next step

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-12-02
  4. "Good Financial institution to work for"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lots of opportunities to develop and get promoted

Cons

The salaries and benefits are not as competitive to what you get elsewhere with the same responsibilities

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-24
  5. "Good Opportunities"

Current Employee - Regional Imlementation Manager

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good opportunities, support network and good focus on wellbeing

Cons

High pressured, very political when applying for jobs

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-20
  6. "Lots of outdated staff"

Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relatively easy job but challenging

Cons

Lots of staff been there since school / uni and limited “outside world” experience

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-17
  7. "You do not have to have experience, it’s all about who you know"

Former Employee - Financial Controller in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible working due to limited office space

Cons

Politics, lack of promotion, people with average knowledge

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-12-01
  8. "Good working environment"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, good hours, great vacation entitlement

Cons

High level of restructuring activity

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-13
  9. "38 year career"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent company. Great opportunities. Very focused on staff well-being.

Cons

All good in my experience. Would have preferred to have stayed a little longer but VER offer could not be refused.

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-12
  10. "Adequate but Antiquated"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have enjoyed my time with the Royal bank of Scotland. Many people aren't equipped to handle the call centre environment and it shows. As much as people like to moan about managers and staff they cannot control how a customer behaves. Everyone I have interacted with within my centre or within managment have on the whole been lovely. The one caveat to that are the agency workers and certain departments who have a... chip on their shoulder. This however does not effect me. Other Pros: - Flexibility, I play a sport as a hobby. However my manager and I are able to look at heat maps and re-jig shifts so I cover hot spots to enable me to continue my hobby. -Decent holiday alotment and you can buy more through the RBSElect scheme 32days including Bank Holidays and you can purchase and additional 5 days leave. -Decent culture in the bank and an atmosphere of striving to improve from previous bad press. -Senior management are fairly transparent on the whole.

Cons

- My role is taking calls. You will be expected to answer calls. ( Personally not a con but the major complaint from other staff.) - I handle FPOC complaints and have no change in compensation for this. i.e a new start is on the exact same wage as someone who handles complaints at 6 months. The only difference in my wage is the Annual increase which is tied to Yearly Review by manager. -Favouritism is alive... and well; If your face and attitude fits you will get ahead especially if you get on with your manager. ( I think this is industry wide however it could be a Con) -You are expected to be Agile. In that Just because your team is booked for a meeting does not mean you will get that time. The issue with this however is early morning teams have a quieter time and will almost never have any off phone activity pulled due to customer demand. However on a core shift you may very well lose your precious time away from customers and never see it returned. - Deputies were told 5 weeks before christmas that their role no longer existed and they would have to apply to be TM of new teams or go back to On Call role and accept a wage reduction. The TM roles they have to apply for are open to outside candidates and candidates from other centres. Meaning there is a high chance some will be jobless come January. -Talent is not necessarily recognized you have to force your way into opportunities. You may suggest 100 changes to process as an agent however all that counts for nothing when you apply for a role in change or journey management.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve manager capability. Don't make life altering business changes a month before christmas just so you can have them inplace for the new year.

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-11-28