Royal Bank of Scotland Senior Business Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 25 Jul 2019

4.1
Royal Bank of Scotland CEO Ross McEwan
Ross McEwan
  1. "Amazing place to work with new projects and really great people"

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in London, England

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance and team work is great. All projects are managed with care and collaboration from all of the team. I would never hesitate to go back to RBS in the future

Cons

None other than projects moving outside of London which was a real shame. Also they need to have a little more fun!

Advice to Management

Recognize those that need recognition and embed more into team work

Royal Bank of Scotland2018-03-24
  2. "Great work life balance, great management skills, lack of resources to deliver."

Current Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in City of London, England

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance with some great managers to aid direction and improvement of work. Great location as it's right outside a tube stop. Work is never demanding.

Cons

Flexible working delays in-person meetings. The high demand of work and little (developer) resource significantly slows the pace.

Advice to Management

Increase onshore and offshore developer resource and reduce come of the bureaucracy and governance.

Royal Bank of Scotland2019-07-10
  3. "The RBS Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Godalming, England

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Family-like working culture - Thorough training - Great individuals across the bank - Despite media claims, RBS genuinely is a bank that is sorry for its past and actively tries to reorganise itself to suit the customer's needs.

Cons

A lot of nepotism, I mentioned above the family-like culture present across the bank. This can be somewhat detrimental if you have any desire to “progress” or be “promoted” within the bank. Progression is extremely slow as people tend to have their feet “firmly under the table” where movement is concerned, often meaning that new (senior) roles rarely open up and if they do (see aforementioned point) you do not stand... a chance if you’re not in “the circle”.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to staff concerns regarding development, it’s a recurring feeling across the bank that many of these internal surveys are somewhat futile because nothing ever gets done to address nepotism, favouritism and slow progression – high rates of attrition will never be sorted if you allow this culture to continue.

Royal Bank of Scotland2018-01-24
  4. "senior business analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

null, except their beautiful sprawling campus of Gogarburn which when i was leaving they seem hell bent on abusing it.

Cons

dont work here, find a better company.

Advice to Management

leave and replace yourself with better people and management

Royal Bank of Scotland2017-05-22
  5. "Project Experience"

Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland

Pros

RBS has a well structured and well communicated project governance structure in place. Networking is easy and provides access to a wide range of talent.

Cons

RBS ist very volatile towards contractors. Does not necessarily provide the minimum of instructions required to allow a contractor to contribute quickly.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on the identification of role contents that are forming part of change initiatives. The clarity in the formulation of job requirements will raise the chances to attract the right talent for the job.

Royal Bank of Scotland2017-03-31
  6. "December 2016"

Senior Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland for more than 10 years

Pros

On the whole, they are very family friendly and like to provide a good home/work balance. Depending on your role, lots of opportunities for agile working i.e. working from your local office or working from home.

Cons

Whilst they are trying to get back on a even keel,the bad press and budget cuts can demoralise staff.

Royal Bank of Scotland2016-12-30

"Ugly ethics and still as bad as ever......"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Looking in my office today ? Id say very little pros. The negativity outweighs the good. Ive seen the appraisals, the mess you make of the employees through this, the calibre of the managers that are let loose and what damage they do, the whole system is rotten, it reeks of self promotion and incompetent individuals... but we know no better....

Cons

They say a tiger doesn't change its spots, well this is probably a pretty adept to describe this conglomerate as it is still as rotten to the very core as it was before the crash. It knows no shame, and it is still very much about getting profit before anything else. On first impressions it may look slick but reality is that its sick. This is a company that doesn't care about its employees, a company that has no... morals. Its a basket case. As long as the upper management get their bonus they have no cares for the business or for the people in it. I listened to a meeting and you know they are so insular and detached, planning on how to cut wages and mess with the junior ranks, they wont go. And they think it hilarious at what they are doing to the pension. Really if you have any sense and moral compass then you would give them a miss. Any opportunity with RBS is a wasted opportunity. Think outside the bank, what are you going to do when you make a move from the bank ? you will have RBS on your resume and you know what the rest of the world thinks of them.

Advice to Management

Id give them loads of advice, first off sort out your infrastructure, get the IT side sorted - you have known about this for so long but have not worked on sorting out the glue that holds the business together. I see how often we have issues with the IT and that plainly sucks. big time. Do what you say your going to do, don't keep doing the same that we have done, you know it doesn't work, you know its against the... spirit of how we were saved by the bailout. RBS as a brand just doesn't have any trust. that was wasted with our antics. Make the break and move it on, save the core and cut the rest. its just dragging us down and were no longer the big player we thought we were, truth told we were never as good as what we were. it was all just smoke and mirrors wasn't it ?

Royal Bank of Scotland2017-01-05
  8. "Better than the last time"

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland

Pros

More confident organisation (compared to when I was previously there 4 years ago) Great people Good scope for gathering experience Management is working hard to improve infrastructure

Cons

Still some hangovers from previous bad period A lot of politics Distributed offices means a lot of time wasted on calls and meetings. Good meeting etiquette not strongly embedded Infrastructure still behind the times

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on improving customer offerings Simplify governance, so that improvements don't take so much effort. Reduce internal focus on historical bad actions

Royal Bank of Scotland2016-11-22
  9. "Great team"

Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Royal Bank of Scotland

Pros

Good people with lots of banking knowledge

Cons

Good people but need other industry/business knowledge

Advice to Management

Need to be more open minded about changing processes that don't fit

Royal Bank of Scotland2016-10-06
  10. "Flexible working, but a lot of dead wood"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Royal Bank of Scotland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible working arrangements - able to work from home, able to adapt hours to suit needs within reason including compressing weekly hours into less than 5 days. Trusted to make the right choices and allowed sufficient flexibility in the role to do so.

Cons

A huge amount of dead wood hanging around resisting change and the 21st century, waiting for a redundancy package. Relatively poor salaries and a current complex project is hindering a lot of other projects

Advice to Management

Clear out the dead wood.

Royal Bank of Scotland2016-05-03